what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fencing on one side
036.JPG

and mulching on another side
034.JPG

Lots of writing today. I'm slowly catching up on the PMs, e-mails, and blog updates.

In the last week we've had several inches of rain, including 1-4" in a 16-hour gully-washing period. Now just about every plant (and weed) in our yard has exploded with joy. Today's special assignment was removing all the weedy bitter-melon vines that have worked their way into the regular plantings. I'm going to have to resort to nuclear RoundUp for the nutgrass.

One of our papaya trees has over two dozen softball-sized papaya on it. In the last couple weeks of rain it's sprouted two new branches, each of which now have another half-dozen papaya on them. (I guess it's hermaphroditic.) I've never seen that before, and I don't think I ever want to see it again. They're all going to simultaneously ripen at 1:45 PM on Friday 24 June.

We had a personal visit from a nice young man opening a new Edward Jones office in our neighborhood. He was wearing in his shoe leather to greet his potential new customers before returning to his climate-controlled cubicle to start collecting those commissions. Until last week he was commuting 18 miles each way to the downtown office now so he's really happy to be opening a new office in his own neighborhood.

Unfortunately he pressed me a little too hard to tell him just why we manage our own investments. After the third time he asked me if he could notify me of any "opportunities", I told him that I was already busy enough researching angel investments. Then I launched into a short recap of the Hawaii entrepreneurial startup scene. I finally let him go when he started chewing his arm off...

I did way more work than I wanted to! Cut the lawn, trimmed the bushes, did some edging, and then made some beef kabobs for dinner (which my darn 13 year twins didn't like! :(

Maybe tomorow I will follow the teachings of my favorite song:

YouTube - ‪Bachman Turner Overdrive-Taking care of business‬‏

If you ever get annoyed
Look at me I'm self-employed
I love to work at nothing all day
And I'll be...
Taking care of business every day
Taking care of business every way
I've been taking care of business, it's all mine
Taking care of business and working overtime

Spent the weekend in Burnet, TX at my family reunion. Dad's family settled in the hill country in the late 1800s and many are still there so there was a great turnout.

It was a great weekend and interesting to observe dad's brothers and sisters. Dad is the youngest at 72 and the oldest still living is 87. I came away with a renewed appreciation for keeping one's weight down and staying fit and active.

The 87 year old is in the best shape both mentally and physically. She exercised all her life and has been thin her whole life as well.

Went to pharmacy to pick up my medications (mouthwash, antibiotics, pain meds) for mouth surgery (gum grafting) and shopped at the grocery store for my food I can eat while healing. I’ll have surgery this Wednesday.

The periodontist gave me a sheet detailing what I will have done and the costs of each procedure. A month ago I had a frenectomy and that has healed well. Noted on the procedure sheet, they had listed i. v. sedation for my surgery. My frugal self thought, ‘I don’t need no stinkin’ i. v. sedation’. I know they have a pill that can be taken before a procedure and I wanted to go that route. Besides, it was much less expensive.

I asked several questions regarding said sedation. My last question was ‘what’s in the i. v.’? I was told there would be antibiotics, sedation medication and morphine.

Morphine.

I quickly told my frugal self there was no way a pill was gonna work…and to shut her trap. I will be having the i. v. sedation.

I’ll have to wear a stent in my mouth for four days/24 hours a day. During these four days I can expect some bleeding and my face will be bruised and swollen. The first week I can have ice cream, smoothies, mashed potatoes and scrambled eggs. After the first week I can have normal food…however, it can not be hot, spicy, crunchy, or hard. I have other restrictions as well. The food/restrictions are to be followed until the end of this month.

2011 so far has turned out to be one heck of a year.

I need to have some fun at some point. Dadgumit. (pun intended) :)

We had a personal visit from a nice young man opening a new Edward Jones office in our neighborhood. He was wearing in his shoe leather to greet his potential new customers before returning to his climate-controlled cubicle to start collecting those commissions. Until last week he was commuting 18 miles each way to the downtown office now so he's really happy to be opening a new office in his own neighborhood.

Unfortunately he pressed me a little too hard to tell him just why we manage our own investments. After the third time he asked me if he could notify me of any "opportunities", I told him that I was already busy enough researching angel investments. Then I launched into a short recap of the Hawaii entrepreneurial startup scene. I finally let him go when he started chewing his arm off...

We had one going door to door in our neighbourhood about a year ago. Told her I was all into Vanguard index funds/etf's. She looked crestfallen, and didn't even bother to leave any brochures. Darn.

DD

Here's hoping that it won't be as bad as it sounds!

BTW, for you folks who may not know, the proper pronunciation is best remembered as:

BURNET, DURNIT, LEARNIT

:)

Can't tell you how many natives corrected me, even non-kin folk...I've finally learned that it is 'burnit', not 'bur net'!

Thanks Al...:flowers: Since I've never had this type of thing done before, I'm a little nervous. However my periodontist is very skilled and I'm hoping I won't have much pain.

However....

I think Pina Colada's are on the approved list especially if made with ice cream !:)

...if it is painful, I have my fluffy pills and this clever prescription from my favorite nurse. :greetings10:

You were close. I would have started pronouncing it as Bur-nay (as in buffet, valet).

It was packing day at my house. I donated all the furniture I wanted to leave behind, including my desk. I am now sitting in the only comfortable chair in a lit room. The lamps are all packed. Tonight is my last night sleeping in my house: tomorrow night my bed will be on the truck. I go to see the lawyer in the late afternoon, so I am spending tomorrow night with friends. I will hit the highway early Wednesday morning. I'm ready for adventure! :dance:

Lovely south shore surf... 6-8 feet on my daughter's 7'9" board. (I'm keeping it wet for her while she's at college & summer training.) It feels like riding a potato chip but it's very responsive. I'll be back on Wednesday, and depending on conditions I'll either use her board again or take it easy with my 9'0".

Finally finished updating our wills & medical directives today. (Our daughter turned 18 so we could get rid of the guardians and make her the executor.) It's taken a couple drafts with the lawyers but the signature party went quickly. This experience was pleasant enough that we won't want to repeat it for another decade or two.

Taekwondo tonight. We're finally recovered from hiking Haleakala Crater and I'm actually feeling like a martial-arts workout. But it's getting harder & harder to keep up, and black-belt malaise may be terminal.

Meadbh said:
It was packing day at my house. I donated all the furniture I wanted to leave behind, including my desk. I am now sitting in the only comfortable chair in a lit room. The lamps are all packed. Tonight is my last night sleeping in my house: tomorrow night my bed will be on the truck. I go to see the lawyer in the late afternoon, so I am spending tomorrow night with friends. I will hit the highway early Wednesday morning. I'm ready for adventure! :dance:

That sounds exciting. We really enjoyed that feeling when we moved to the country 12 years ago.

Writing this post from my iPhone on a little ATV trip to California City. Drove out here with my girlfriend after we spent most of the day booking stuff for our 5 week trip to Europe. We leave in two weeks! :)

I read this forum for a while before I retired and one of the things I was reading about and truly concerned about was getting bored. I can happily report that I can't imagine that now. Please don't let anyone convince you that you'll get bored in early retirement!

Thanks for all the good wishes!

Memo to movers: Never, ever pack a woman's makeup bag! :nonono::nonono::nonono:

I meant to elaborate and say that those things are often much less bad than expected -- I hope that's true for you. I dreaded root canal but the doc was so good that there was no pain -- that was my most pleasant dentist visit ever.

-------------------

Today I unwittingly followed a recipe for hypothermia. I warmed up for stretching on the elliptical, took off my sweats, and did the stretches with only gym shorts and socks. It was 65 degrees in the house. Then I practiced piano and talked on the phone, still just the shorts. Then I lay down on my frozen cold pack (really useful item BTW)

Thera-Med_Back_Pad_Reusable_Cold_Pack__18357_std.jpg

while posting on this forum with my iPod. Then I had a 16 oz frozen smoothie, while Internet surfing -- still no shirt.

By the time I got into the shower, I could barely control my shivering.

Just got the results of a biopsy for possible skin cancer on Lena's nose, and it came back negative -- no skin cancer. Yay! She's already had the MOHS procedure once. Now we just have to fix up this parathyroid thing.

Just got the results of a biopsy for possible skin cancer on Lena's nose, and it came back negative -- no skin cancer. Yay! She's already had the MOHS procedure once. Now we just have to fix up this parathyroid thing.
:clap: I love hearing good news!

-----------

btw, where the heck is Khan? I wonder what she's been doing the past few days?

My sympathies to both of you.

Installed a new gas water heater today. When I installed the old one I got a sulfur smell with our well water. I cut out the anode (which fixed the smell issue) and it only lasted 22 years! So, I cut the anode out of the new one before I installed it - feeling lucky. :LOL:

I bought the new water heater off Craigslist over a year ago for $125 - new but out of box. I kept thinking the old one would pop a leak, but it just kept chugging. I did install a pan under the new one with a drain to the basement sump, just as a future precaution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom