what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would have made a great place to hang your block and tackle to kill and dress your own beef.

Ha

From my childhood memories that spells a four letter word: W*RK! Besides all the black bears and coyotes would show up for scraps.

I do have other poles left for hoisting deer. But I'll let the hunters take care of the dirty work, just collect my percentage in nicely wrapped venison.

Just got back from 2 days up at a friend's camp. I have helped him and his daughter with the weeding in their 40 foot greenhouse on several occasions, so I was given a nice full bag of fresh tomatoes, cukes, Swiss chard, and Anaheim peppers. It was like going to a farmer's market, except no money was needed. Talk about LBYM! :dance:
My friend and his next door neightbor are going to borrow a trailer and come retrieve my broken John Deere tractor tomorrow. They are both very experienced mechanics. They have a w*rking engine from another lawn tractor with a broken axle. I refused an offer for money, asking instead for fresh salmon when they go fishing. What a deal I'm getting! :D
Mr B is back in college full time for the last semester. He's having a bit of trouble getting motivated, but I keep reminding him that this is the final stretch and will be well worth it. I'll play cheerleader and keep him going.

I hope everyone affected by Isaac :( is safe and sound.

Second-best surfing lesson!

My latest student stood up on a wave today for a few seconds. It's taken her a tremendous amount of effort to get this far, and it's paying off.

I finally realized today that she doesn't enjoy getting smacked in the face with the splash when she's paddling out through a wave. I showed her how to do a pushup on the board as she rode over it-- much better. After that it was just a matter of waiting for the right wave and a good push.

We had a bodysurfer show up right after last week's session:

Attachments

• IMG_1719.JPG
    IMG_1719.JPG
    481.6 KB · Views: 4
Started physical therapy in the base pool yesterday and got a pretty good workout. I'm pretty stiff this morning so it going to be tough getting back in the pool today but this needs to be a regular morning schedule.

Last night I was on an Eagle Scout review board for my next door neighbor's son. What a great experience. I felt very honored that he asked me. He is an amazing young man in so many ways and gives me hope for the future generation.

Cheers!

Grilled some marinated chicken. Took a picture of it. Ate one for breakfast. Mmm....

Went for an hour motorcycle ride, came home because it was uncomfortably hot.

Made a grocery store run, cashed in my 40 cents off/gallon gasoline, and I was going to mow the "back 40" but the temperature was 99 degrees so said the heck with that. I'll do it tomorrow AM. Wrote the check for the house insurance.

I'm done doing anything else useful today.

Attachments

• Grilled_chicken.jpg
    Grilled_chicken.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 4
I fixed my chain saw. After much cajoling, the electric utility dropped 5 large, dead ash trees in my back yard and I was busily cutting them up when it crapped out. It is the smallest Stihl, which means the carburetor has teeny, tiny passages and jets that can plug easily. The first time that I disassembled it, I blew out the passages with compressed air, but no joy. Second time, I used carb cleaner and that did the trick.

Interestingly, I found a good video on YouTube to explain the whole process. It is always worth searching.

Posted the free wood on Craigslist and got a guy out here in 1/2 hour, but it was over 90* F, and he loaded less than half and slunk off. :mad: Oh well, I'll haul some more wood when it cools off and re-post. Lots of people around here heat with wood.

I'm getting ready to travel to the Mainland next week, and my "To Do" list keeps getting longer.

Oboy, "Finish 2011 tax returns" is up next.

I went to get a haircut at my favorite shop, as I will be embarking on a month-long RV trip soon. As the crowd comes back to work after the holiday, I will hit the road. The missus already exchanged our timeshare for a week at a resort at the destination, just like our last trip to Banff in June.

Just resting a bit before going out back to cook my steak.

Tomorrow, I will start prepping the RV, like sanitizing the fresh water tank, checking tire pressures, etc... Been debating whether I should drain the AT fluid and refill with Dexron VI. MH only got 37,000 mi. but I've read that the new ATF may improve the gas mileage some, relative to the old Dexron III. Any little thing that curbs the thirst of this gas guzzler will pay big dividends, I tell you.

Life is so good, I can't believe it.

Willie Nelson - On the Road Again - YouTube

Last edited:
If not children then grandchildren. Sigh...

I'd better log some RV miles now while I still can.

Spouse and I got ambitious at sundown and decided to pull out four 23-year-old gardenia bushes which were well past their prime.

I was digging out the roots of one and decided to use the reciprocating saw with the 12-inch blade. No problems.

As I smacked the mattock against the last stubs of the roots, I realized that a sprinkler pipe was laying in the ground. (The original landscaper went cheap and buried the PVC less than six inches underground.) I was a little surprised that I didn't already have a geyser shooting into the air, but I carefully excavated them looking for crushed or sawed PVC. They were supposed to be four feet away on the other side of the strip of yard (and I have the plans to prove it), but I guess the landscaper didn't feel the need to follow the plans either.

So I crossed my fingers and tested all eight zones of sprinkler pipes. I was lucky-- no leaks.

And we made green waste quota tonight, so now I can go back to finishing our tax returns.

Completed Day 7 of the "Grandparent Freedom Day" celebratory RV road trip. Yep, life is good...
I was wondering how that would work out.

For your daughter(s) and the grandkids, I mean. As long as you have all the wheels still on the truck & trailer, I'm pretty sure I know how it's working out for you!

Last edited:
Thank goodness you are safe and sound W2R!

I have not been here for awhile but all is good many changes but that is life and I am not bored. Will do a big catch up in bad weather sometime Just doing this one because I promised myself I would check in and fine out how those affected by Issac made out.

I spent yesterday showing Mr B a good time for his birthday.
I started by showing up with a cake (devil's food and chocolate icing with grated coconut in between the layers and all over the outside) at his morning coffee group. I had candles lit on the cake and we sang HB to him. We all made quick w*rk of that cake. :D
I gave him new Levi's jeans, 1 denim blue and 1 black. Then we went to a Greek restaurant and he pigged out on a calamatika platter. I had a large appetizer platter with calamatika, grape leaves, and fried eggplant with yogurt sauce. Heavenly ! :)
Last stop was a place where we volunteer. They had ordered a cake for him. Everyone bought him drinks and he had a great time dancing around with some of the ladies (with my OK). My face hurts from laughing. :LOL:

Last edited:
Finally finished our 2011 tax returns!

I think I'll celebrate by weed-whacking the grass on our back slope.

In dry climate like the southwest, it is common for insurance companies to try to salvage a wet carpet by vacuuming up the water and air drying. I [-]wonder[/-] am not sure if it can work in places where it is humid. Mold growing in the carpet underlayment is something we would not want to take a chance with.

Last edited:
MIL got married in my house today. Took a nap without my CPAP on but woke gasping for breath after a few minutes. Put on the CPAP and had a GOOD nap.

In dry climate like the southwest, it is common for insurance companies to try to salvage a wet carpet by vacuuming up the water and air drying. I [-]wonder[/-] am not sure if it can work in places where it is humid. Mold growing in the carpet underlayment is something we would not want to take a chance with.
They do this in the Southeast ( Florida )also . One of my friends had a flood and they came and vacuumed the water and dried out the area . I was there a few weeks later and you really could not tell she had a problem .It has been several years and luckily no mold problems . It was sad because she had just finished a remodeling when it occurred.

Called to get help in removing the wall-to-wall carpet that was soaked by Hurricane Isaac after the wind blew my front door open. At first I didn't think it was that wet, but it is and the AC is not going to be enough to dry it out before mold starts to grow.

This is the new carpet that I had installed throughout my home less than two years ago. It was a Home Depot cheapie that they only had in limited quantities and probably don't even carry any more. :(

My handyman's son is going to help me with it tomorrow or Monday. Then I need to figure out what flooring I want in that room.
Mold is a real risk, especially behind the walls in the rooms where the carpet soaked. It will cost lots more to remedy a mold invasion than replace the carpet. Is tile common in your area? It is much easier to care for and also cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom