what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Entertained some friends to dinner. We had a great time.

Slept in this morning, cooked bacon, eggs and toast for me and DW, ordered some business cards for her online, installed a new battery in our lawn tractor and put the old battery in the truck to return to Walmart to get a refund of the core charge, installed a door latch on the master bedroom sliding screen door so our cat can no longer open the screen door during nice weather (damn cat never closes it behind him). Now flipping between the Patriots/Dolphins game and the Martinsville Sprint Cup race and having a beer.

Counted down to 8 more Sundays before I retire! Also, once more sat my DW down and ran through the numbers to show her that we are not going to be homeless :LOL:

Installed a cooling air intake on my new 2014 Camaro ZL1 and did a long test drive, took the puppies to the dog park and walked the track for 1/2 mile with them (they were exhausted; 6 and 10 lb Yorkies) gave the dogs baths, started laundry, made my lunch and coffee for tomorrow at work, took wife out for dinner and visited her sisters after dinner.

Took my morning two mile walk and then had breakfast. Tried to make a post on this forum. I guess I took too long and what I typed went away saying I was not logged in although I had logged in. Tried again, same happened. So I finally decided to take a while to read up on how to use this forum. Still kind of confused. I think I learned to make a smiley though.

For the first time since I retired, I finally got the energy and inclination to start on cleaning my basement. Got so many goodwill bags ready. Got so much more to do down there. What did get on my nerves though was that it seemed every fifteen minutes my husband would come to me looking all confused wanting to know did I give this to the goodwill, did I throw that away, where did you put it. It seemed to me like he was just looking around trying to find stuff he hadn't seen in years. So frustrating. Give me a break.

Hiked 5 miles in Sloan Canyon in southern Nevada. For a former Texas flatlander this was quite an accomplishment!

RetiredandFree

Hate to break the bad news, but the guy doing the reading probably WASN'T Shakespeare. Shakespeare retired... Lol

We hiked around the woods for about an hour and a half today. Doing that a lot, lately...

Bought a new wood screen door for the back porch, hardware and (mostly) clear sealing stuff for it. First coat of sealant on it. Sealant is Sikkens Cetol, 078 natural. Boat owners on other forums seem to think highly of it so that's what I got.

Bought a new wood screen door for the back porch, hardware and (mostly) clear sealing stuff for it. First coat of sealant on it. Sealant is Sikkens Cetol, 078 natural. Boat owners on other forums seem to think highly of it so that's what I got.

Good stuff! We used a lot of Cetol on the old trawler's teak. Now there's a job I don't miss!

Eventually it will get yellow. But you should get many years of protection out of it. On our boat, teak covered with 3 layers of Cetol still looks quite good and I think it was applied around 1999.

Called various people to arrange repair of leaking underground home water supply pipe, air conditioner, and credit recovery course for DS17 in geometry.

One thing I did today was to mail my Christmas cards. (You heard that right). I have been trying for the past 20 years to stop sending cards altogether, but there is a small group of people who get mightily offended if they don't receive those festive pieces of cardboard, or get them late. When I was working, I often remembered this chore on or about the 20th of December, too late to catch international mail. This year, since I am ER, I decided to work on them in October, and since they were ready, I decided to exercise inventory control and send them off. I have included all my social media contact details so there is no excuse for these folks to say I am not "reaching out" to them. However, I did not invite them to visit for the holidays. That would be going too far! :LOL:

Grocery store run. Another coat on the screen door. Mowed the grass. Much relaxation between things.

As the old saying goes, "Hard work never hurt anyone, but why take chances?"

For the first time since I retired, I finally got the energy and inclination to start on cleaning my basement. Got so many goodwill bags ready. Got so much more to do down there. What did get on my nerves though was that it seemed every fifteen minutes my husband would come to me looking all confused wanting to know did I give this to the goodwill, did I throw that away, where did you put it. It seemed to me like he was just looking around trying to find stuff he hadn't seen in years. So frustrating. Give me a break.

Funny/not funny. DH and I were both teachers and, as such, had a huge collection of coffee mugs. I'd eat the candy out of them (if it was decent) and we'd put the mugs on a high kitchen shelf. After many years, I boxed several of them and put them in the car trunk to deliver to Goodwill. Get to the store, no mugs. DH had saved them and hidden them under our bed! Like we needed an extra 30 coffee mugs! It was not funny then; it is now.

In a couple hours we begin our trip to Portland, ME to visit family. We should arrive in time to watch Game #6 of the World Series. There is a fun pizza joint across the street from our inn. With the huge Sox contingency up there, it should be a fun night.

Getting car serviced, laundry, and then one evening client. I hope to make some apple pie filling...my first time ever and I am a little nervous!

Enjoying my only day this week without some kind of daytime scheduled event - yoga class and an RV repair appointment on Monday, lunch to recruit a new United Way Board member and a committee meeting for another group yesterday, facilitating a staff workshop at United Way tomorrow, and Lifelong Learning seminars on Friday. All that plus meetings on Monday and Tuesday nights has made me feel a little too busy.

Went out for my usual 2-mile morning walk and it started raining - after 1/2 mile it was too wet to be fun even with a rain jacket so I turned around. Coffee, breakfast, newspaper, and shower. Wrote 2 letters to prisoners (I'm part of a prison letter-writing ministry). Then sat down at computer to plow through a bunch of to-dos - I still love crossing things off my list! Just reheated some leftovers for lunch and back to the to-dos. It's a gray rainy day (yippee!) so I might even go for a nap this afternoon - just because I can!

Finished reading The Glass Castle by Jannette Walls. Could not put it down.
Mowed the 3 1/2 acre yard and mulched leaves.
Rejoiced that DH sold one more piece of the company equipment.

Woke up at 9:00 am after a very good night of sleep. Ate breakfast, paid a few bills, processed pictures from yesterday's walk and it's already past noon! Whut?

Clambered around up in a hybrid mesquite with a recip saw and rope and push stick to drag & push the limbs to the ground. then turned them into sticks for the chiminea (great to hang pork shoulder chunks in the chiminea and smoke them up with mesquite) and debris for the green waste container. Lots of clipper work and leaping up and down in the container to compress the greenery. Lots of stabbing and scratching from the mesquite spines. Damn tree grows 1 1/2" diameter limbs in 5 months - may have to delete that tree, not sure it's worth the battle.

Pulled a noisy fan from a computer power supply - the replacement power supply is way too loud, so I'm hunting a quiet replacement fan.

The concrete subcontractor poured the slab for our new two-car garage today. I watched them and surfed the internet in the morning. In the afternoon I took the back seat out of the boat and dropped it off at the upholstery shop to be worked on over the winter and then put the winter cover on the boat.

I cooked pork tenderloins with apples and onions for dinner using this recipe. I thought it came out good, but if I do it again I will probably sear the pork tenderloins on the grill rather than in a frying pan (though the drippings from searing the pork in the pan were good as part of the sauce). Also, I took it out of the over when it was 145F and it was a little on the rare side for DW so I might wait until it is 150F or 155F. I used Macs.

I'm "off" golfing with my Thursday group tomorrow and looking forward to it. Not many golf days left here in the Northeast Kingdom. Time to fly south pretty soon.

Sometimes, I would sear the meat on the grill before finish cooking in the oven. The meat still gave off enough juice for a nice sauce, but missed some of that carameling flavor.

Browning the meat in a pan, then later deglazing it with calvados (apple brandy) to make the sauce is kicking it up a few notches, to borrow from Emeril's parlance.

I cooked pork tenderloins with apples and onions for dinner using this recipe.

That's funny. I cooked pork tenderloin the night before last, and I was thinking about using the same recipe. Then I realized I was out of chicken stock and Dijon mustard, so I went with an herb rub instead. Picked up the missing ingredients today and will try the apples and onions recipe next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom