what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
NW-Bound .. The Money Pit? Perfect reference, I can identify...

If they take down the rafters, they've gone too far. :D
They haven't taken any out, but so far put in 14 feet of 2x4 to reinforce rotted framing.

Spent the morning editing a talk I gave a few years ago to be the monthly inspirational mailing for the prison letter-writing ministry I am involved with. I was quite honored to be asked, and challenged to fit the key points from a 15-minute talk on one page (with the help of narrow margins and small font size!).

Spent the afternoon helping a friend/neighbor who is moving clean out decades of hazardous waste from her garage (I had already tackled the utility room last week). Close to 50 cans of old paint, several boxes full of old garden chemicals, many bottles of oil, and too much else to even name. Then we loaded the whole lot into our cars (a CR-V and a Prius, both with the back seats folded). They were stuffed to the gills. We caravanned to the household hazardous waste facility on the other side of town. Had a moment of panic when I opened the hatchback and the guy looked in and said "Oh, we can't take that, it's too much." Guy should be a stand-up comic - he was kidding.

Do yourself/your spouse/your kids a favor and don't let all that stuff build up. Some of the stuff was not recognizable, and I suspect other stuff is now actually illegal. Really nasty.

Drove to Hagerstown, MD to see if anything was blooming a the city park there but it's early yet. Then went to Martinsburg, WV, a half-hour down the road to shoot some photos of the roundhouse there.

There's quite a bit of history attached to it since it was a major rail transportation hub during the civil war and later. Martinsburg changed hands more than 50 times during that conflict and the great railroad strike of 1877 started there.

Gathered info to send to TxDPS for my DW and my concealed carry licenses. We passed test and range test last weekend. Posting this while watching news story about new Georgia gun law passed today.. Interesting times we live in!

NW-Bound .. The Money Pit? Perfect reference, I can identify...

What I was actually looking for was the scene where, after a long delay, the contractor Curly showed up with his workers. The home owner Walter was flabbergasted watching the workers tearing up his home.

I was not able to find that scene on youtube, but caught on the Web the associated conversation as follows.

Walter: What happened?

Curly: It was no picnic but those guys are work animals. Well everything looks pretty much under control.

Walter: It does?

Curly: Well not to the layman's eyes of course.

Walter: They completely ripped up my house!

Curly: They sure as hell did didn't they? They really ripped the guts out of it. They're work animals I tell you. Look at those holes huh? Then you've got your gravel piles, your sand piles, your scrap piles. Animals!

Walter: Animals.

Received several packages contributing to enhancing my life; kept plants taken in last night; ran errands.

Despite the risk of an asteroid impact rendering everything irrelevant, my wife still wanted to go ahead with the kitchen remodel. As new cabinets turned out to be quite expensive, I will have to clean up and refinish the existing cabinets to save some bucks.

Another 10 ft of additional cabinets has been purchased. We also went to the show room to pick the 2 slabs of granite for the countertop.

Asteroid or not, the kitchen will get a new look, and the economy gets a little more stimulus.

Trimmed tree branches and raked twigs and stuff out of the yard; tomorrow the landscaper is going to put down some grass seed. Took a shower and then some Advil...

Went to gym.. met a young man who was doing some stretching exercises in preparation for a tryout with a scout from the Denver Broncos tomorrow.. he's in town just to recruit this kid, who was a local high school stud and went on to play at OSU until he tore his ACL.
He's being looked at for cornerback and will enter the draft in a couple of weeks if they like him. Several other teams have been interested but haven't had him try out. Hope he does well..very nice guy and I could tell he's in great shape and is very, very fast.

Got a new shed delivered to patio.
Put plants back out after frost.
Dewormed the porch cat.

Picked and enjoyed the first asparagus of the year. Fantastic!

Also, the hops are going berserk this year. Should be a great growing season.

After my medical scare last week I took this week off so decided to go hiking in the Grand Canyon. We did the Bright Angel Trail and between the physical exertion and gorgeous scenery I was feeling almost back to normal.

The downside, I had a work call I had to take today and right after the call my blood pressure was up again. I've put boundaries around the hours I will work but I may have to change jobs if I just can't handle being a part of this project.

I've started documenting my blood pressure daily so if I have to request a medical leave of absence I have the rational.

After my medical scare last week I took this week off so decided to go hiking in the Grand Canyon. We did the Bright Angel Trail and between the physical exertion and gorgeous scenery I was feeling almost back to normal.

The downside, I had a work call I had to take today and right after the call my blood pressure was up again. I've put boundaries around the hours I will work but I may have to change jobs if I just can't handle being a part of this project.

I've started documenting my blood pressure daily so if I have to request a medical leave of absence I have the rational.

Good thinking.

I framed two photos I took during last year's vacations. I then installed a CO2 detector in my house. Finally, I planted the first parts of this year's herb garden.

Gosh, the retired life sure is good! :dance:

I then installed a CO2 detector in my house...

Gosh, the retired life sure is good! :dance:

CO detector, you mean? Anyway, yes, retired life is good.

And I tasted the homemade pâté I made yesterday with chicken liver and ground pork. It was good, but I forgot to add in the brandy. :facepalm: Well, maybe next time.

Well, I was going to head out on a photography expedition but it started raining heavily so scratch that idea. Played around with the pen tool in Photoshop instead. There's a learning curve to that tool.

Went to lake for a couple of hours...caught 7 white bass. When the bite was 'on' I had 2 rods in the water..had to pull one out and fish with one..couldn't get back and forth between the rods fast enough.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 176
Found out two of our grandsons will be participating in a huge (100+ teams already signed up) week-long baseball tournament in the Dallas area in late June. Dug around on the internet and found a city-run RV park adjoining one of the baseball park complexes hosting the tournament. Called and got reservations for the week plus an additional weekend - all for nine dollars a night!

Went to dentist (everything fine).
Grocery store (very close to dentist).
Watched birds from newly rearranged house and feeders.

Went for a couple of hikes, did a minor sink repair, and goofed off the rest of the day. Checked the indexes and wished I hadn't lol.

CO detector, you mean? Anyway, yes, retired life is good.

And I tasted the homemade pâté I made yesterday with chicken liver and ground pork. It was good, but I forgot to add in the brandy. :facepalm: Well, maybe next time.

Perhaps he's monitoring global warming on a local level... :-D

Found out two of our grandsons will be participating in a huge (100+ teams already signed up) week-long baseball tournament in the Dallas area in late June. Dug around on the internet and found a city-run RV park adjoining one of the baseball park complexes hosting the tournament. Called and got reservations for the week plus an additional weekend - all for nine dollars a night!
Sounds like fun. Make sure not to park too close to the field...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom