what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently in the middle of hickory smoking a couple racks of ribs for dinner.

Thank you, brilliant idea really. I'll have my glasses with no right lens, forms with dates and a copy of the implants script.

In my post-op care package, after each of my surgeries, they included a very official looking implant card with the implant number and date. They told me to carry that with me but I'm not sure why. Maybe that was why.

Now that my driver's license says I don't need glasses, I'm thinking of leaving them safely locked away at home. I suppose I might want them if my implant was recalled. Or not. :LOL:

In my post-op care package, after each of my surgeries, they included a very official looking implant card with the implant number and date. They told me to carry that with me but I'm not sure why. Maybe that was why.

Now that my driver's license says I don't need glasses, I'm thinking of leaving them safely locked away at home. I suppose I might want them if my implant was recalled. Or not. :LOL:

Thanks, great minds think alike. That's what I was thinking of bringing. :)

As I'm sure you experienced the blue sky is amazing! Fifty some hours post-op and it keeps getting crisper.

Last edited:
Thanks, great minds think alike. That's what I was thinking of bringing. :)

As I'm sure you experienced the blue sky is amazing! Fifty some hours post-op and it keeps getting crisper.

The color of the blue sky is so vivid, too. I love looking at the antenna arrays on top of skyscrapers in the distance, with the blue sky as their backdrop! They are so clear and intricate. Not only that, I love reading far-off signs that those with me cannot read even with their glasses on. Just being a passenger in a car and looking at everything is like an amusement park for me since my surgeries. :D

That works well, and is exactly how I always used to do them.

I did three racks Monday on the BGE with a new technique that seems to work better for me.

Three hours at 225°F with plenty of rub and plenty of fruitwood smoke.
Then wrap in foil with a few spoonfuls of a liquid mixture (I use a dark beer/Worcestershire mix) and back on (in the foil with meat side down) at same temp for another hour or so.
Finally, out of the foil and back on for 15-20 minutes. Then brush on your preferred sauce/glaze (I use a commercial BBQ sauce with a little maple syrup added) and leave on for another hour or so, letting the temperature gradually rise to 350°F to caramelize and set the glaze.

The result is much juicier ribs, which DW appreciates.

Had an early ice hockey scrimmage, took the dogs out for almost two hours, met a friend for lunch, did some fall/winter wardrobe shopping.
Reading a book and randomly texting with a couple of friends.

Wild Irish Rogue

Got back from my mancave. On the way there I had small chore to take care of:

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    298.8 KB · Views: 34
I'm away on vacation with DW, DD and DS. Where we are staying does not have a DVR. My how I hate watching commercials!!!!

Family was going to go to Red Robin's for dinner where I was planning to get a free double burger and endless fries (free for veterans on Veteran's Day). We didn't go because DS has an oral test in high-school Spanish tomorrow that he is not ready for. He was supposedly studying all day at home today since he had Veteran's Day off, but he was mispronouncing and stumbling over many basic words this evening.

It turns out it was a good thing we didn't go out because I threw up immediately after dinner at home due to chemo side effects. Oh well, tomorrow's another day!

Went to the new Orlando VA Medical Center (VAMC) at Lake Nona to meet my new doctor at the facility. No health issues but I have to see a doc every once in awhile to stay in the system since I receive all my healthcare from the VA.

All I could keep saying was "Wow, wow, wow!" It's the most modern, beautiful, welcoming, comfortable, sunlit building I think I've ever been in. The staff was pretty great, too! I love that the VA creates Women's Clinics within the large facility which serve women and are staffed by women. It's an hour each way but well worth the drive.

The new Orlando VA Medical Center at Lake Nona is located on a 65-acre campus in southeast Orange County. The 1.2 million square foot facility cost $600 million to construct. The medical center will have a large multispecialty outpatient clinic, 134-inpatient beds, 120-community living center beds, a 60-bed domiciliary and administrative and support services. The VA Lake Nona Campus is co-located with the University of Central Florida College of Medicine, the Burnham Institute, the University of Florida Academic and Research Center, and Nemours Children’s Hospital in the area known as the "Medical City".​

I'll bet the staff is just happy to be working in a beautiful up-to-date facility. It makes a world of difference to them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

5 hours at 225F in a propane fired vertical smoker.

OK.. thanks... what smoker do you have:confused: I am looking to buy one...

I did my last ribs on the grill at about 275F for 3.5 hours... then wrapped for an additional hour... came out great....

I am curious as to what others do and try things out....

I did my last ribs on the grill at about 275F for 3.5 hours... then wrapped for an additional hour... came out great....

I have a traeger pellet smoker. For ribs, I do my own version of the 3-2-1 method that calls 3 hrs smoke, 2 hrs in tin foil, and 1 in BBQ sauce. I lengthen the middle phase to around 2.5 hours to get the ribs to the falling off the bone like DW likes. DW and mil claim that they are the best ribs that they ever ate. http://www.traegergrills.com/recipe?recipeid=3-2-1-baby-back-ribs

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Arrived in Ohio. Sign off on house tomorrow. Deciding what to take back, give away, just leave.

Went to the gym, cardiologist and grocery store. There is indeed a cardiac ablation in my near future. The doc who is going to do it comes with a pretty good recommendation - he did the procedure on my cardiologist. The hospital is a bit of a hike though at a bit over two hours away. There is one half an hour away but they only do about 50 a year so I think I'll go the extra distance for this.

The hospital is a bit of a hike though at a bit over two hours away. There is one half an hour away but they only do about 50 a year so I think I'll go the extra distance for this.

Good decision, Walt. You don't want anyone "practicing" on you.

Good decision, Walt. You don't want anyone "practicing" on you.

+1

Prayer shawl knitting group this morning - asked the leader to teach me how to knit on double pointed needles so I can make hats for DD and DS for Christmas. Decided I'd better start on them before I forget everything I learned so after doing the grocery shopping, went out to get yarn and the special needles. Stopped to get some batteries at Walgreen's (the grocery store was out of the size I needed to replace our Scrabble Flash batteries) and then decided to pick up some herb plants at the nursery next door. Came home with sage, parsley, and thyme which are all perennial here. Also a broccoli plant just for grins. Planted them after cleaning out one of the beds a bit. Mail contained the enrollment info for our 2016 health insurance - yikes! Catching up here before fixing mushroom stuffed rainbow trout for dinner - and starting on a hat!

+1

Prayer shawl knitting group this morning - asked the leader to teach me how to knit on double pointed needles so I can make hats for DD and DS for Christmas. Decided I'd better start on them before I forget everything I learned so after doing the grocery shopping, went out to get yarn and the special needles. Stopped to get some batteries at Walgreen's (the grocery store was out of the size I needed to replace our Scrabble Flash batteries) and then decided to pick up some herb plants at the nursery next door. Came home with sage, parsley, and thyme which are all perennial here. Also a broccoli plant just for grins. Planted them after cleaning out one of the beds a bit. Mail contained the enrollment info for our 2016 health insurance - yikes! Catching up here before fixing mushroom stuffed rainbow trout for dinner - and starting on a hat!

I would have already forgotten by then...

I have a "Cajun Injector" brand, bought at Cabelas. It is not super high quality, but it works easily and keeps the temperature constant, and it was cheap.

Deciding what to take back, give away, just leave.
Finished all unpacking this morning and started laundry this afternoon. While laundry was running I decided to do a complete check of basement rooms. In one closet I discovered my tenants had left me a complete Onkyo surround sound system plus a pair of large Sharp floor standing stereo speakers. Sent out a few text messages and found a friend that can use the stuff. He will pick it up tomorrow, no charge.

Got back from my mancave. On the way there I had small chore to take care of:
Did that on Tuesday on Mt Baker.

It looks like there will be a lot more work next Tuesday. (Winter storm here for the next four or five days. Not a winter storm like the Easterners get, but some flooding and two or three trees down.)

In the morning we did our ACA sign ups and I also caught up on filing. In the afternoon we went to the U.C. Botanical Garden. We have a favorite bench there we like to sit on in the sun and take in views of the bay.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom