what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The heat index topped 105F today, so I didn't ventured outside much, except to water my poor tomato and cucumber plants. My computer's sound card fried, so I have to figure out what I'm gonna do to fix it. Probably get a cheap one at Best Buy tomorrow.

Still on the planet

Hi everyone :greetings10:
Summer continues to go well. Temps have been in the 90s here in East Nowhere.
A recent trip to NH for a friend's sister's funeral and thunderstorms have kept me off the lake. The boat battery went dead. :( I ordered a jump pack for it, soon to arrive. I will make short order of jump starting it and recharging it at 35 mph. :D
I have some blossoms on my late planted Roma tomatoes and at least 10 hot Portugal peppers in my container planting. Cubanelle peppers in the 10 gal aquarium are just forming fruits. My screened in porch is serving as a wonderful hothouse environment.
My social life continues to improve. :cool: No kiss and tell...:LOL:

I'll check back in periodically. Later taters...:greetings10:

Went to local Audobon center to look for early shorebird migrants. A few of the usual suspects but managed to sight 4 fledgling Grasshopper Sparrows in the adjacent grasslands.

Took my mom to the doc this afternoon for routine check up. What a frustrating experience. First, she's 92 years old and it's tough for her to sit up in a hard chair for a long time. Well after an hour of sitting she is ready to go home. I said let's give it 10 more minutes and sure enough, she get's called. Thirty more minutes in another room and finally a nurse comes in and ask a few questions and takes her blood pressure. Doc finally comes in for the 3 minute session and she's off for blood work. So after 2 hours and 20 minutes we leave. I know doctors are important and busy, but it pisses me off that someone her age has to go through a long drawn out wait like this. It's been over a year since she has seen a doc and I had to beg her to go, but I'm sure this will end it for her. And I can't say I blame her.

Dawg, sorry your mom had to go through that. Some people just don't understand how difficult simple things like sitting for a couple of hours can be when one is very aged. I remember some less than stellar experiences that my own mother had at that age when going to the doctor. The doctor himself was fine, but once for some reason the person accompanying her took off and the doctor's receptionist, knowing that she was alone, in her mid 90's, almost blind, and very feeble due to age, sent her downstairs to wait for her cab on the busy street, by herself. She was lucky to make it back to her facility. Soon afterwards she began seeing another doctor who made regular "house calls" at her continuous care facility, so she didn't have to go anywhere. But doctors don't make house calls to patients' homes any more these days from what I understand, so I don't think you could do the same.

Today was hot again, but a couple of degrees cooler than previous days. Just a few minutes ago I heard the rain begin - - the rain that had been threatening for a couple of days. At last! I hope this will cool things down a little.

I know doctors are important and busy, but it pisses me off that someone her age has to go through a long drawn out wait like this. It's been over a year since she has seen a doc and I had to beg her to go, but I'm sure this will end it for her. And I can't say I blame her.

Yesterday, on the local news program, the "resident" Doctor addressed this very issue:

Tips To Cut Wait Times In Doctor's Office - cbs4denver.com

(Watch the video in addition to reading the article.)

Reduce wait times on the day of the appointment by calling ahead to ask if the doctor is running on time.

"Then when you get to the office ask about the wait time and when that time passes, ask again," Hnida advised.

Too hot & muggy to do anything outside. DW is feeling poorly with an upset tummy so stayed inside and took it easy.

The forecast rain came. All six raindrops. The motorcycle goes in the shop tomorrow for a new front tire - 13k+ miles isn't bad!

Still finding new/neat stuff in Photoshop. Under filters/lighting there are a bunch of cool lighting options. Took a shot of the house and made a light from heaven shining down from above.

Next week we will have a four-year-old grandniece visiting for a day. DW promised to take her to the pool. Hopefully she won't be as camera-shy as DW is and the heat will abate.

Let's see here yesterday I:

Cut the grass
Took out the garbage
Cut and installed a glass in the medicine cabinet
Repaired a fence gate
Cleaned the hinges on a squeaky bedroom door
Cleaned 6 windows

Now don't go thinking I have that much energy everyday.

Today's chores:

Grocery shopping
Clean another 6 windows
Wash one car
Repair a blind chain pull
Clean the BBQ.

I better get to er.

Have a great day everyone.

Purchased a new central AC system (heat pump) yesterday to replace the 13 year-old Trane system that went belly up. Installation is scheduled for today. Congratulated DW and myself on our very wise decision to convert the screened porch to a playroom/second den for the grandkids a few years ago, especially for including a separate AC unit.

Yesterday, on the local news program, the "resident" Doctor addressed this very issue:

Tips To Cut Wait Times In Doctor's Office - cbs4denver.com

(Watch the video in addition to reading the article.)

Ha! Average wait time 24 minutes? If I ever got in to see a doctor in that short of time, I would be ecstatic. But I will call next time to see if the doc is running behind or not. That is a good tip.

Purchased a new central AC system (heat pump) yesterday to replace the 13 year-old Trane system that went belly up. Installation is scheduled for today

Boy, they don't make them like they used to anymore. When I sold my first house, the unit was 20 years old and still running. I ran into the guy that bought my house several years later and he said it was still running. It was a Heil brand.

Boy, they don't make them like they used to anymore. When I sold my first house, the unit was 20 years old and still running. I ran into the guy that bought my house several years later and he said it was still running. It was a Heil brand.
I had the same thoughts, then did some research to find that heat pumps usually don't last as long as a central AC with a gas furnace. That makes sense as the compressor runs both winter and summer. Still, I was expecting a minimum of 15 years and was very disappointed the system died so soon.

I did not replace it with another Trane system...

... was very disappointed the system died so soon.

And that it did so with such lousy timimg must have put you in the right mood to make that an easy decision.

I had the same thoughts, then did some research to find that heat pumps usually don't last as long as a central AC with a gas furnace. That makes sense as the compressor runs both winter and summer. Still, I was expecting a minimum of 15 years and was very disappointed the system died so soon.

I'm sitting here this morning, missing my morning golf:(, because I'm waiting on a heat pump repair man. New system installed last November but it cuts off around 1:30pm everyday. They said probably something to do with it not pressurizing properly when the temps heat up. But, should be covered under warranty.

Well, as I was typing this the repairman knocked on the door. Turns out he put to much freon in it when he installed it. Glad it was a simple problem. But still missed my tee time.:(

Purchased a new central AC system (heat pump) yesterday to replace the 13 year-old Trane system that went belly up.
Just replaced our 24 year old Trane central A/C unit last year and it was still running. I guess our summers aren't quite as hot as yours hence the longer life span. You know what they say, "you can't stop a Trane".

Just replaced our 24 year old Trane central A/C unit last year and it was still running. I guess our summers aren't quite as hot as yours hence the longer life span.
I suspect the fact ours is a heat pump and the compressor runs 10 months out of the year is an even bigger factor.

You know what they say, "you can't stop a Trane".

I did. :(

BTW, we also had to replace the coil in the system ($2,700) after seven years. Thankfully it was covered under the ten year warranty, but the failure sure didn't do anything for my faith in brand reliability.

It was a gorgeous day here . My Mom and my Sister were visiting so we went out to lunch at a place on the beach . It was great sipping tropical drinks overlooking the gulf !

Helped a friend load pictures into their PC for emailing. Also got their USB printer working again. Hunidex 105!

Wow. If you have so many Huns you have an index to measure them, I'd find some other place to live. :D
Absolutely!

Halt.the.Hun.US.WWI.jpg

The heat wave finally broke and I am enjoying normal summer temps in the low 80s. My electric bill went sky-high running the little bedroom window AC unit. :(
My favorite Bostonian and I are planning a Labor Day trip back to Lowell MA for a Portuguese festival in his hometown. I haven't been to a real ethnic Mediterranean festival in ages. This will be FUN.
I am enjoying learning about Portuguese food and culture from him. :D Papo secos, pao dulce, linguica...YUMMY.

Toodles for now...enjoy the summer. :greetings10:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom