what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made a large pot of soup and a large salad with produce from garden and Farmers Market. Ran the dishwasher twice (and probably again tomorrow). Filled compost bucket twice.

Watched some chickens wander through the 'hood.

Went to the Blessing of the Combines yesterday down in Snow Hill. Today was the Berlin (MD) Peach Festival with DW, SIL and her DH, a few hours on the beach, crabs for dinner, and now kicking back watching Force 10 from Navaronne and eating peach ice cream. Nice day.

Didn't buy it because on further examination we found some problems in it, but then found ANOTHER perfect house. This is a single huge house with two large living quarters, each with a private front door entrance, joined with doors leading into a common oversized garage. In the back is an outbuilding containing an air conditioned 400 square foot workshop for Frank. The house is wonderfully isolated, on the corner of two quiet streets, with a golf course across the street. It isn't near many businesses, though I am tempted not to care. The lot is reasonably flat.

We left feeling somewhat schizo... how can there be two so nearly perfect places for us? Apparently with the housing downturn (in Springfield, Thinker! :) ) it is becoming easier and easier to find a great place. The best houses aren't getting snapped up very quickly so there are more available.

We decided to wait until we sell at least one of our houses before buying another. Meadh is right. Maybe this experience will give us some motivation to get busy and get our houses ready to sell.

Also, Leonidas is 100%, no 500% correct. I believe he understands what happened here with Katrina.

I absolutely understand why you would not want the evacuation issue ever again. Just curious why you are choosing Springfield MO? I'm from the east coast and STILL miss the ocean. No ocean in Springfield (or KC...)
:D

I absolutely understand why you would not want the evacuation issue ever again. Just curious why you are choosing Springfield MO? I'm from the east coast and STILL miss the ocean. No ocean in Springfield (or KC...)
:D
Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that you, unlike the folks living in NO, never had the ocean in your living room...

Pulled my hair back and am now sporting a ponytail. I almost look like a teenager. :D

(well, if I close one eye and squint with the other) ;)
sCh_pirate2.gif

We looked at real estate all day here in Missouri, even though we think we probably don't want to buy quite yet. We need to put our houses on the market and sell them first. I think.
We aren't ready to buy yet.....
...but then found ANOTHER perfect house. ..
I think you have the message. Put both homes on the market as is. See what happens. If you get action, then plan accordingly. Maybe sell one right away and stage the other until you can buy your new place. See what your options are. Sometimes it is better to sell a place as is because the buyer wants to make it their own.

We put our kid on the college flight. We are now officially empty nesters...

...with four houseguests. But things will gradually empty out over the next week.

We enjoyed some most excellent surfing before we headed to the airport. Our kid was a surf maniac while I taught three of our houseguests, one of whom has turned out to also be a newbie surf maniac. After three hours in the water we all slept very well. Or at least I'm guessing that our kid slept as well as you could expect from a nine-hour redeye.

Didn't buy it because on further examination we found some problems in it, but then found ANOTHER perfect house.
We left feeling somewhat schizo... how can there be two so nearly perfect places for us?
Maybe this experience will give us some motivation to get busy and get our houses ready to sell.
And suddenly, just like that, you're ready to buy!

Also, Leonidas is 100%, no 500% correct. I believe he understands what happened here with Katrina.
I think it's impossible to explain the natural-disaster experience. Even if someone has seen the video and heard the audio then it still can't really be comprehended without personal experience. Words have certainly failed me on this subject.

These days the act of prepping the hurricane checklist & bug-out bag is just another summertime chore as natural as yardwork or house cleaning. And we really don't evacuate, unless you count the one-mile walk to the hurricane shelter.

This weekend...bilged the boat by hand because the battery is still dead. :( Jump pack should be here today.
Mowed the lawn. How exciting! :LOL:
Back in business...carried the jump pack down to the lake and got that puppy roaring on the third try with a little help fron some engine starting fluid into the carburetor. Cruised all around the very calm lake on a cloudy day. Less than 1 month until I have to think about pulling it out of the water. :(

Not now - they multiplied!
Have you seen the video posted by Firedreamer where 14 people of 3 generations crammed into a little house? I am sure your house got more space than that. And the RV too!

Less than 1 month until I have to think about pulling it out of the water. :(
That's it? You need to move south. Maybe become neighbor with W2R.

Wow! It appears FB is not logged in to read this generous offer. But will she have to trade in her speedboat for a sailboat?

This might be a multi-day post.

We planned to start our BBQ at 3 PM yesterday. A few minutes before that my nephew the Army Ranger (house guest with his GF for another few days) called to say that our '97 Altima was dead at Waimea Valley Park. Not "weak battery" or "making clicking noises" or even "turns over but won't start". I mean totally "won't do anything when the key is turned" dead.

So we postponed the BBQ plans (hopefully just until tonight) and clawed our way up through the North Shore traffic (45 minutes, ~20 miles). We determined that he was absolutely right. Jumping the battery didn't help (it's only a couple years old anyway). No click of the primary coil trying to turn over the starter motor. No crank. Nothing but the dashboard lights and a dead engine.

The park security guy was very helpful (graduate of our kid's high school a few years earlier, still living in our neighborhood) so the car is staying overnight. We'll get it towed this morning (~90 minutes, ~35 miles to Pearl Harbor) and see whether it's the ignition, the clutch interlock switch, or the primary coil.

Of course the minute I woke up this morning I realized that I could have taken my CarMD OBDII reader to check for a fault code. So we're going to try that up at Waimea while we're waiting for the tow, and perhaps we'll just tow it home instead of to the shop. Either way we'll have a side trip today for a rental so that our guests can still enjoy their remaining time here.

The car gave absolutely no warning that it was about to die... it just did. Despite the usual midlife crises it's really been very reliable transportation and I'm hoping that this is a problem worth fixing. I hadn't really planned to go car-shopping so soon.

This might be a multi-day post.

We planned to start our BBQ at 3 PM yesterday. A few minutes before that my nephew the Army Ranger (house guest with his GF for another few days) called to say that our '97 Altima was dead at Waimea Valley Park. Not "weak battery" or "making clicking noises" or even "turns over but won't start". I mean totally "won't do anything when the key is turned" dead.

So we postponed the BBQ plans (hopefully just until tonight) and clawed our way up through the North Shore traffic (45 minutes, ~20 miles). We determined that he was absolutely right. Jumping the battery didn't help (it's only a couple years old anyway). No click of the primary coil trying to turn over the starter motor. No crank. Nothing but the dashboard lights and a dead engine.

The park security guy was very helpful (graduate of our kid's high school a few years earlier, still living in our neighborhood) so the car is staying overnight. We'll get it towed this morning (~90 minutes, ~35 miles to Pearl Harbor) and see whether it's the ignition, the clutch interlock switch, or the primary coil.

Of course the minute I woke up this morning I realized that I could have taken my CarMD OBDII reader to check for a fault code. So we're going to try that up at Waimea while we're waiting for the tow, and perhaps we'll just tow it home instead of to the shop. Either way we'll have a side trip today for a rental so that our guests can still enjoy their remaining time here.

The car gave absolutely no warning that it was about to die... it just did. Despite the usual midlife crises it's really been very reliable transportation and I'm hoping that this is a problem worth fixing. I hadn't really planned to go car-shopping so soon.

I know you're doing some charitable giving - don't forget charity begins at home. Buy yourself a new(er) car and donate the lead sled to the charity of your choice. :)

What better way to celebrate your new-found empty nest freedom other than a set of new wheels? Show DD you and her mom are livin' the good life now that she's out of the picture!

Nords, congratulations on your new-found freedom!! Life without as many day-to-day parental responsibilities can be exhilarating, even though you may reminisce about the days when your "baby" was always by your side and enjoy those sweet memories too. And your DD knows she can always rely more heavily on her parents from time to time, if need be.

Also, I agree with REWahoo that you should buy yourself a brand new car (or new-to-you car) to celebrate your freedom.

We decided not to buy that house, or any house up north right now. Frank still thinks it is not a good time to sell, so while we will gradually prepare our houses for later selling, we don't plan to put them on the market any time soon. And, if he is not putting his house on the market, then I will not be doing that either. I don't want to have to live in separate states for any substantial period of time (though that may not seem so bad to some of you long-married folks). I enjoy spending time with him so much, and life is short. :smitten:

Meanwhile I have had a mild case of Montezuma's revenge for the past two days, without even going outside the country to get it. (sigh) See what traveling does to people? :LOL: I know, I know, if I had my own RV and slaved over a hot [-]microwave[/-] stove to prepare each and every meal, I might not be having these digestive difficulties. Yesterday at lunch I daringly ventured out and ate a dish of the most wonderful, delightful, in fact heavenly chicken alfredo at a local restaurant (if I were the Queen, I'd knight the chef!) - - but after that have eaten almost nothing. Today I will stay home.

snip... I don't want to have to live in separate states for any substantial period of time (though that may not seem so bad to some of you long-married folks).
Hmmm...that thought is sad. :(

I would like to think long-married folks have worked out a balance in their lives and are able to live not only in the same state, but in the same house. After all...they are long-married folks.

Don't have too much planned for today (certainly nothing outside as it is so hot). Might do a little more wallpaper strippin' and check on a trampoline rental. :D

a dish of the most wonderful, delightful, in fact heavenly chicken alfredo at a local restaurant (if I were the Queen, I'd knight the chef!) -

I come to New Orleans often to visit an older brother who had FIRE'd after Katrina. May I please have the name of this restaurant where you had this delicious chicken alfredo? I'd like to take my brother there when I come see him in Jan 2011. Thank you.

Actually left house and ran errands. Four stops including Farmers Market.

I have had a mild case of Montezuma's revenge for the past two days, without even going outside the country to get it. (sigh) See what traveling does to people? :LOL:

Wow if a quick trip to Missouri can give you the runs I would stay put in Louisiana !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom