What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's this about avoiding red meat?

I try not to stare at the photo, nor look on the Web for how to make my own.

220px-Three_wise_monkeys_figure.JPG

Went to the bank to change the checking account to "senior checking" (checks are free) and applied for SS online. I guess that officially makes me an "old guy".

What's this about avoiding red meat?

I try not to stare at the photo, nor look on the Web for how to make my own.

220px-Three_wise_monkeys_figure.JPG
Missing the fourth one with covering the nether regions. Do No Evil:)

Went to the bank to change the checking account to "senior checking" (checks are free) and applied for SS online. I guess that officially makes me an "old guy".

I'd call that a lifetime achievement.

Brined and grilled Berkshire pork chops. DW didn't like pork before tonight now that's changed.:)

We went to see a musical last night. Afterwards I bought a some Groupons for Vudu and cancelled the Netflix DVD at home plan. Tonight we're going to watch Spectre on Vudu.

Brined and grilled Berkshire pork chops. DW didn't like pork before tonight now that's changed.:)

Where did you get the Berkshire? I need to get some to try, sounds wonderful.

-ERD50

Where did you get the Berkshire? I need to get some to try, sounds wonderful.

-ERD50

I bought a couple from KC Steak Co I had some steaks ordered DW wanted and I wanted to try the pork. Expensive but very good. I belive a local farmer raises them as well. I'll be checking into that option.

ETA: Watch the temperature when you cook. I read 140F that seems very close. Maybe for my taste the top end but then I like beef rare. Definitely don't overcook it though.

Last edited:
Dog day afternoon

I fly for an organization called Pilots & Paws, who fly rescue animals to a new forever home.
I saw a post on their website looking for someone to fly a Brittany Spaniel from Phoenix to Santa Barbara ,CA. My son lives about half way between, near Palm Springs, so I asked if someone could fly the dog from Phoenix to Palm Springs, so we could fly the dog the rest of the way.
I got a response from another pilot, and we made all the arrangements. We left our little home airport in Santa Paula and my copilot Jim and I flew to Palm Springs to meet my son.
We had lunch together, and as we arrived back at the airport, the other pilot landed and taxied in. We got the dog from him, contacted the receiving party in Santa Barbara, and told them we were on our way.We learned that the dog originally came from a hoarding situation in New Mexico. What a beautiful, loving dog.
The flight back toward Santa Barbara was uneventful, but as we neared the coast, we could see the thick fog bank at the shore. A quick call to the weather bureau confirmed that the Santa Barbara airport was socked in.
We then landed at our home airport in Santa Paula, which was about 45 miles from Santa Barbara, and called the awaiting parents of their dog in our back seat. We arranged to drive the dog to a meeting place half way, and their son programmed her cellphone with the directions.
We walked the dog along the sidewalk, and soon a car pulled up and flashed its lights. The couple got out, and were absolutely thrilled with the first look at their new dog. In fact, the lady was wearing a t-shirt with a picture of a Brittany Spaniel on it.
It was the best of a dog day afternoon.
smile.gif

The new owners just sent me a couple of photos of the dog settling in.

Attachments

• IMG_1550.jpg
    IMG_1550.jpg
    456.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 0103-143958.jpg
    0103-143958.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1548.jpg
    IMG_1548.jpg
    869.1 KB · Views: 36
Good for you souschef. It is so nice when rescue dogs find forever homes.

Last night we went to an improv show and out for a late night happy hour afterwards. I've never been to an improv show before and I didn't really get the humor. Most of the stand up comedy shows we've gone to have been pretty funny in comparison.

Last edited:
Took our little dog to the vet for heartworm treatment. He was treated last year while he was in rescue, but some of the darn worms apparently didn't die. :mad: (Vet says that just happens sometimes.) After I pick him up tomorrow afternoon, he has to stay in his crate for a month (yes - a month!) except for lap time and short walks on leash in the backyard (business only). It's a really nasty treatment and the dog has to stay calm while the worms die so they don't cause a heart attack or embolism. DH and I are quite apprehensive about it as he's a very perky little guy. I think it will be a very long month. :(

Took our little dog to the vet for heartworm treatment. He was treated last year while he was in rescue, but some of the darn worms apparently didn't die. :mad: (Vet says that just happens sometimes.) After I pick him up tomorrow afternoon, he has to stay in his crate for a month (yes - a month!) except for lap time and short walks on leash in the backyard (business only). It's a really nasty treatment and the dog has to stay calm while the worms die so they don't cause a heart attack or embolism. DH and I are quite apprehensive about it as he's a very perky little guy. I think it will be a very long month. :(

That is a long time in a crate. I hope the month goes by quick and the worms get eradicated this time.

I achieved a milestone today. I did my first automotive repair in the garage in the new house. :dance: The tail of the exhaust pipe on the plow truck came loose and I got it tightened back up. The garage floor is about 7 or 8 inches above the ground. I backed the rear of the pickup into the garage until I bumped the tire on the concrete to get out of the wind and to be able to lay on the concrete instead of the ground. Worked nicely.

I achieved a milestone today. I did my first automotive repair in the garage in the new house. :dance: The tail of the exhaust pipe on the plow truck came loose and I got it tightened back up. The garage floor is about 7 or 8 inches above the ground. I backed the rear of the pickup into the garage until I bumped the tire on the concrete to get out of the wind and to be able to lay on the concrete instead of the ground. Worked nicely.

Congrats! You are officially moved in! As long as you can work in the garage, the rest can wait.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Did my usual beach walk with the pooch this morning - joined by my husband! :smitten:

Then I changed into a swim suit so I could join a friend at a free senior water aerobics class... I may have fudged my age by a few months to qualify (they prefer you're 55 - but allow guests who are younger....) Not the most aerobic water aerobics class - but I am going to get some of the resistance paddles to get more of a workout.

Had a lovely lunch with my husband at the local Italian place... we split a salad and an order of arancini (rice balls - a typical sicilian dish). They were as good as the ones we had at my husband's cousins house last summer.

Did my usual beach walk with the pooch this morning - joined by my husband! :smitten:

Then I changed into a swim suit so I could join a friend at a free senior water aerobics class... I may have fudged my age by a few months to qualify (they prefer you're 55 - but allow guests who are younger....) Not the most aerobic water aerobics class - but I am going to get some of the resistance paddles to get more of a workout.

Had a lovely lunch with my husband at the local Italian place... we split a salad and an order of arancini (rice balls - a typical sicilian dish). They were as good as the ones we had at my husband's cousins house last summer.

Haha! I remember trying a water aerobics class at my health club about 20 years ago. I was nursing an injury and looking for non-impact exercises to keep my cardio fitness. Water aerobics sounded like a perfect solution. I was the only woman under age 55 in the pool, and everyone else knew each other.

My goal was to get my heart rate up, so I was working hard and as a result I made some splashes. Uh oh, major faux pas. Dirty looks from everyone around me. I took the hint, and moved off to my own little corner of the pool for the rest of the class. I never went back.

Finished the last of the five pound Hershey's chocolate bar that I bought in February. Frankly I thought it would last longer but as I've mentioned before chocolate has a very short half-life in this house. DW helped a little bit but I'm mostly the guilty one.

I doubt that I'll ever do that again but it's one more item off my bucket list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom