What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turns out this wasn't quite over. During the weekend I was organizing my files, and looking over the closing statement noticed that the realtor's commission was mis-calculated. They shortchanged the buyer's realtor by $90. I sent an email to my attorney pointing this out, she quickly figured out what happened. I'll put a check in the mail tomorrow morning to square things.

Sheesh, a room full of well-educated people, a basic math mistake, and no one checks the numbers. And we want people to manage their own retirement finances!

How noble of you. I probably would have just waited for them to come to me... not out of a care for keeping the $90 but more out of an interest to see if the buyer's realtor or anybody else ever figured it out.

I always ask for closing statements in advance and recalculate everything (just the former auditor in me I guess) and I have found errors.

Yes, there was someone sitting in the driver's seat of the Google self-driving car. DH got a better look and and was pretty sure his hands were not on the steering wheel, though.

Planted some grass seed in bare spots in the front yard. I doubt it'll "take" though because I could feel rock just under the surface when I was mixing it in. There's a lot of shale rock around here and it just isn't suitable for growing anything. Trying to get the rocks out is an exercise in frustration so I've long ago given up on that.

Put a Blade 230s RTF helicopter on the Amazon wish list. Still thinking about it. I've tried two of the el cheapo made-in-China helicopters and they don't last long. This one has good reviews.

After reading so much praise for Aldi stores here, I've been looking forward to trying it. Got a $5 coupon in the mail and they recently put a store less than two miles from me so I went today.

Pretty impressive operation -- I like the shopping cart deposit trick.

Bought a few things that were similar to items I buy often, and thought "Hey, this is cheaper than Costco!"
But when I got home I discovered that the package sizes were smaller, and the actual unit prices were about the same.

However, I got a couple of slabs of baby back ribs for a dollar a pound less than anywhere else around here, and that made it a good trip.

Overall, it's a good store but I'm spoiled by having an extremely large Kroger even closer to home. I'll definitely keep Aldi in mind for meat purchases, though.

Welcome Spring!

Early morning walk... the bunnies are huge, tree sparrows so busy that even clapping hands didn't phase them. Robins bob-bob-bobbin', and a flock of starlings (1000+) swarmed the neighborhood. A cardinal perched in my neighbor's tree, and I traded songs with him. I cooed to the doves, but they're not lonesome any more. Am a bird song practitioner, and getting better at it in my dotage.

72 degrees and sunny. Magnificent!!!!

After the walk, a short ride in the car, which turned into a ride to Woodhaven Lakes. I've been avoiding this because winter can have bad effects on the camper, sea walls, and trees. It was absolutely perfect... inside and out, and clean as a whistle. The lake is clear and the ice-out did zero harm.

The ride up and back to WH was incredibly beautiful... fields clear and ready for planting. Can see 15 miles on the flat, and the hundreds of wind towers moving gracefully in the light breezes. We get used to this, and the windfarms become a thing of moving beauty.

Took a ride around where the tornado hit. (90% of the 500 destroyed homes have been removed, replaced, or repaired). Thousands of new trees planted, but small. Will be years before the bare areas recover. You just don't replace 15,000 of old growth trees in a few years. Most residents are staying... "Woodhaven Strong" the operative phrase.

Saw about 20 deer on the drive-around. Easy winter means they look healthy, with smooth coats.

Looking forward to a great year! :smitten::clap:

I also just submitted a j*b application! It's with a whitewater rafting company that DH and I worked for 20+ years ago. It's very close to our vacation home, where I spend most of my time in the summer. The money is not much, but that's not the point. If I get the j*b as a rafting guide, it means I will get paid to spend my day on the river. There's also some fringe benefits such as free rides on the bike shuttle that the same company runs, so I could do some nice long rides on the rails-to-trails path without having to arrange drop off/pick up.

Pocono Whitewater? I did three raft trips in the 90's with that company... all on dam release weekends. Very fun!

Did my usual morning beach walk with the pooch... more beach erosion with the latest storm - not much beach left. Talk to a guy who works at one of the mansions along the water about whether they were worried about the sea wall in front of the house... I guess they were worried enough - they'd had an engineer out to inspect the previous week. I've observed some undermining of the sea wall footings on houses up the block from them. Waves this morning were once again coming over the parks sea wall - and waves were crashing into the mansions' sea walls hard enough to shoot water 40 feet in the air.

After that excitement I came home and completed our taxes. Filed and no identity theft issues. Thank goodness. Bought an I-bond with part of my refund for the first time.

With that done I finished putting together a website for my husband's latest endeavor... He's working on un-retiring... Against my wishes. LOL.

Angel Flight

We flew an Angel Flight mission from Santa Monica to Santa Barbara. The patient had just gotten a liver transplant and looked very good.
The exciting part was the strong winds, but fortunately, the winds were right down the runway

Today I spent several hours in the backyard trimming bushes, planting...ummm plants and spreading mulch.

DH is on a m/c trip and called me this afternoon to tell me about a new toy one of his m/c bud's has. He said I needed to go online and check it out. I did....I have to say I'm impressed with the look....

Polaris Slingshot : 3-Wheel Motorcycle - Reverse Trike

Of course if we get one of those, he'll need to sell his m/c so we'd have room for the new toy in the garage....and I don't think that's gonna happen.

I occasionally fantasize about getting one of these:

http://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/3-wheeler/#

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Pocono Whitewater? I did three raft trips in the 90's with that company... all on dam release weekends. Very fun!

Yes! When DH and I last guided with them, it was before the agreement to hold back water to supply dam releases all summer long. It was a short, cold season from mid-March to mid-May. Now there are trips in June and July...so maybe I won't be cold all of the time.

Philliefan33 - what a fun hobby job!!!

One of the things I love most about weekends in ER is no more weekend chores!

Yesterday, Saturday, I performed my usual two hour wake up over coffee and my Kindle HD, then spent almost three hours at the gym doing cardio and yoga. Lunch was spent at a restaurant with a room full of Lifelong Learning friends listening to a terrific jazz ensemble made up of a group of retirees now all in their 70's. Afterward we spent about two hours walking around and checking out the new shops and restaurants that have opened here in the last 12 months or so. Meandering about like this, is something we never, ever would have felt relaxed enough to do during our working years, a fact upon which my DH even commented.

We ended our afternoon jaunt-about with some free wine tasting at Total Wine, then spent the evening at home enjoying a terrifically smokey chipotle chili I made earlier in the day, followed by My Left Foot via Netflix.

Today, Sunday, I've spent the morning reviewing and doing Spanish homework. Now I'm off the gym for an hour, before cleaning up and heading out to lunch, followed by a live production of The Miracle Worker. Dinner will be at home - honey soy glazed salmon, brown rice and roasted asparagus.

The kids and grandkids arrive tomorrow, so we are enjoying our little weekend calm before the storm. :)

With 52 work days left this sounds like Heaven! I love this thread. It's getting me over heartbreak hill on this marathon to the finish line in June.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

One of those inexplicably depressing moments today.

I bought something for $8.47 at a local store, and handed the cashier a $20 bill, a quarter, two dimes and two pennies.

It was almost painful watching her stare fixedly at those five coins in her hand, brow furrowed, concentrating hard, trying to calculate how much they added up to.

Today I'm feeling very thankful that I was able to ER last year.

This morning I went for a run around the lake at a nearby park. It was warm, the sun was shining, and the birds were singing. After lunch I ran a couple of errands-- very quick compared to if I had to do it on the weekend. Now I'm sitting in the sunroom, still enjoying the wonderful weather, and watching the ACC basketball tournament.

A year ago, I would just be leaving the lab and starting my hour-long commute. Life is good!

Just had a piece of very unexpected, very good news, so I'm celebrating with a special bottle of beer.

Some here will recognize this cap and realize that my news was very good indeed.

Attachments

• W12.jpg
    W12.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 22

I bought something for $8.47 at a local store, and handed the cashier a $20 bill, a quarter, two dimes and two pennies.

It was almost painful watching her stare fixedly at those five coins in her hand, brow furrowed, concentrating hard, trying to calculate how much they added up to.
I get that same feeling, it's one of the reasons I stopped paying for inexpensive purchases with cash.

Gym day, minor grocery run on the way back, and buy a new starter battery for the 33" walk-behind mower. I'm a bit disappointed the last one only lasted three years.

I did something very boring, but I'd been putting it off: ripping CDs. That explains why I've been on this site more than usual today :)

The good news is I can "disposition" the CD's now.

+1 I frequently do similar things and it is appalling how it throws them off, especially if I hand them a 420 and they key it into the register and then I come up with the change. Ugh!

Did you win Powerball or something?

Just as good.

Got a phone call that went something like:

"Hi, I'm Soandso from Doctor X's office. We just got the pathology report on your biopsy."

Pause. Objectively, about half a second. Subjectively, a week and a half.

"Everything was negative."

I felt that I deserved a reward.

Great news, braumeister. Hope you enjoyed the celebratory beverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom