What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
AM run, no leg pain, so continue to keep fingers crossed that I'm in shin-splints recovery mode. DH dropped me at our local auto repair shop to pick up the Beemer, which after two full days without generated several thoughts - 1) We will likely never become a one car household, and 2) We will most definitely never again buy a high performance vehicle given how expensive dealing with any auto issue is compared to a 'normal' vehicle.

Zipped off to meet a new university arts group I joined for a day long excursion to an art museum. It was a great time, and I was blown away by the knowledge of the collective group. I'm somewhat new to the arts, and have much to learn, but am thoroughly enjoying the process.

Finished up the day making dinner with my DH, who has expressed interest in learning how to cook. We made stirfry cashew chicken over brown rice, and it was fun to see how proud he was of the final product as we sat down to eat.

Took the gf out for St. Patrick's Day and corned beef and cabbage at local Irish bar. She had the corned beef and cabbage, which was very good. I had a sausage sandwich and a pitcher of Pabst which were also very good. Then went to see a movie. It was a fun day.

I pulled some kids and their pickup out of deep snow yesterday. Most of the roads were dry, but on untraveled roads, there tend to be deep drifts here and there. They found one about 4 feet deep and maybe 100 feet long. The trouble was they had gone down a very steep hill with about a foot of snow on it and couldn't get back up so they tried to go farther down the road where they got really stuck.

Endoscopy yesterday. Ugh.

Hope everything was fine. Why the ugh?
My girlfriend can't stand having them done (any test for that matter) but she's a worry wart. I've had them before and had no problem. Maybe because I don't worry about having it done and am relaxed or great doc.

Hermit, That was a nice deed you did, pulling the kids out of the snow. I saw your other post. Did it snow all day?

... Hermit, That was a nice deed you did, pulling the kids out of the snow. I saw your other post. Did it snow all day?

Its still snowing! I spent about 3 hours plowing roads. Its hard to plow when the roads are not frozen. I move a lot more dirt around than I would like to, but if I don't plow the snow melts on the roads and they get too muddy. It is supposed to get warmer for a few days then possibly a large storm the middle of next week.

Exciting news in our family this week. DD is engaged. Her fiance is a very nice young man who even asked me for her hand in marriage. I think she is more excited than I am!

I tried to post to a thread about wedding costs from last summer, but after I checked the box that I knew it was an old thread I was told I couldn't post because it was old and it ate my post. Oh well.

Went running, picked up our mail that was on hold, visited my former co-workers, picked up some walnut and maple at the hardwood store for some woodworking projects, inspected a friend's house under construction, went out for dinner. Trying to adjust to CDT in chilly Illinois after winter in warm AZ.

Exciting news in our family this week. DD is engaged. Her fiance is a very nice young man who even asked me for her hand in marriage. I think she is more excited than I am!

I tried to post to a thread about wedding costs from last summer, but after I checked the box that I knew it was an old thread I was told I couldn't post because it was old and it ate my post. Oh well.

Congrats, Hermit, on daughter's engagement.
Can't help on why you couldn't post on an old thread.

Morning gym workout, Spanish class, lunch with a girlfriend, nap ( :) ), optometrist to assist DH in picking out new frames, grocery shopping for an upcoming 9 day RVing trip to Palm Springs and San Diego, then dinner and a movie - The Big Short - back at the house.

We traditionally try and work our way through the Oscar nominees each year after they've moved to NetFlix/Redbox. I thought The Big Short was very clever in it's mortgage-meltdown-for-dummies approach. I enjoyed it, even as it made me shudder in remembrance.

Congrats on the wedding news, Hermit!

If you tried to post in the pre 2016 version of the "What did you do today?" thread, it has been closed due to it's size.

Recovering from a power outage. It is nice to have an almost whole house generator, but when the power came back, I realized that there must have been a power surge at some point. Probably lost about $500. Treadmill circuit board is fried. So is one of my surge protectors (saved the TV) and the controller for the heated mattress pad is gone.

Due to the power outage, we did not cook the corned beef and cabbage on Thursday, so we did that today. It was very good. As I told my DW, her worse cooking is better than almost anything we can get eating out. We're in the process of renovating a house and have been super busy so we've unfortunately been eating out too much. It was nice today to just regroup, get some rest and eat a good meal.

I started learning to ski a couple of months ago and today I went on my first blue runs. I'm pretty happy how well it went. I was lucky that I did a private lesson, otherwise I wouldn't have made nearly as much progress and probably would still be skiing green runs.

The only downside is the skiing season is almost over. I'm already looking forward to next year.

Very, very happy day. Received word that our grand son,who is graduating from IMSA , just received word that he has been granted a full boat "Stamps" Scholarship... tuition, room and board, books (and a computer), living expenses, and an opportunity to spend a paid overseas experience during summer break.
Our kids have two others in college now, at the same time, so this has been an incredible help to their plans for retirement. Grandson is very aware of the cost of college, and has worked hard to earn his way. Will graduate with a 3.9 avg out of 4, in addition to being a class officer, counselor and member of multiple school clubs. His current hope is for a Medical Degree, and possible future with Doctors Without Borders. (Fluent in three languages)

We're so proud. :flowers:

Last edited:
Hope everything was fine. Why the ugh?
I have them for a reason and I blanch every time I go in anticipation of bad news. It was not really a big deal this time. The prep liquid was not as bad as anticipated. It just smelled like latex gloves and the taste was not too awful. I started early as several here suggested and it went easy (but resisting solid food was anguish).

Everything appears to be fine, though. Thanks for asking. Everyone should do this for their own long-term safety.

Very, very happy day. Received word that our grand son,who is graduating from IMSA , just received word that he has been granted a full boat "Stamps" Scholarship... tuition, room and board, books (and a computer), living expenses, and an opportunity to spend a paid overseas experience during summer break.
Our kids have two others in college now, at the same time, so this has been an incredible help to their plans for retirement. Grandson is very aware of the cost of college, and has worked hard to earn his way. Will graduate with a 3.9 avg out of 4, in addition to being a class officer, counselor and member of multiple school clubs. His current hope is for a Medical Degree, and possible future with Doctors Without Borders. (Fluent in three languages)

Wow! Congratulations!

We had a weekend pass for wine tasting with food pairings at nineteen wineries in Sonoma Valley this weekend. We went yesterday, had nice weather and a great time but today we got rained out.

Last night we went to a concert in Berkeley with local bands doing some of their own music and some songs from The Who. That was really fun, too. For the finale the had 30 musicians on stage ending with a couple of The Who's classics and gave everyone in the audience maracas to play along.

:clap::clap::clap:
And so you should be!

Went to the hospital and had lab work done, an x-ray of my eyes in preparation for an MRI of my heart in preparation for a cardiac ablation tomorrow morning. The x-ray of my eyes was because in 1967 I once had a piece of metal in my eye from a key-making machine at the gas station where I worked in HS. Had there been any it was probably brass anyway so nonferrous. Not surprisingly they found nothing.

Here's an engineering question: They go to great lengths to assure that there is no ferrous metal in the MRI machine because of the strong magnetic fields. Yet they gave me a pair of headphones to listen to music inside the machine during the ~45 minute procedure. I thought it would be kind of difficult to create sounds without using a ferrous magnet to create the sound waves.

I asked the technician about this. She wasn't sure but thought they did it with air pressure but would ask the engineer the next time one came by. The headphones had the worst tone I've ever heard from headphones of any type and this would account for it.

Anyone know how they get headphones to work inside an MRI machine? (It got real boring and there really wasn't much else to think about during the testing.)

Airlines used to provide pneumatic headphones in the old days. No metal at all.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 4.46.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 4.46.31 PM.png
    148.8 KB · Views: 264
I started learning to ski a couple of months ago and today I went on my first blue runs. I'm pretty happy how well it went. I was lucky that I did a private lesson, otherwise I wouldn't have made nearly as much progress and probably would still be skiing green runs.

The only downside is the skiing season is almost over. I'm already looking forward to next year.

You could always go to someplace in the Southern Hemisphere like chile :)

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Went for a hike in Bird Rookery Swamp. Beautiful day, and the gators were active. I saw somewhere in the area of 40 of them (lost count after 25). Lots of babies, and lots of mamas. I was planning to go 8 miles, but got turned before the 4 mile mark by a 12'+ gator stretched far enough across the path that I didn't want to walk past him. So I only made it about 7.5 miles.

I saw my first bobcat early on, way up ahead in the distance. I took a quick picture, and didn't expect much from it since I could barely see the cat. But it came out pretty well. A nice surprise.

Attachments

• DSCF1192.jpg
    DSCF1192.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
  • DSCF1149.jpg
    DSCF1149.jpg
    829.8 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF1164.jpg
    DSCF1164.jpg
    639.1 KB · Views: 31
Had the cardiac ablation procedure done today, all went well. I'm still in the hospital (I really gotta stop posting from hospitals) but aside from some mild soreness nothing to complain about. The surgeon showed me some really neat computer-generated images of the ablation on his smartphone that I didn't have the presence of mind to ask for copies of since I was still coming out of the anesthesia. I'll probably be released tomorrow morning.

As usual, the hospital refused my request for wine with dinner and a takeout order for some anesthesia drugs. I do wish they'd loosen up a little about that.

Went to the SS office today, both a happy and sad occasion. I must have been one of only a few anglo-saxon Americans, the office was full people I would not necessarily associate with and at least a 1/4 could not speak English. I asked the interviewer and he said they also assist SSI, etc.
The interviewer was nice and I was actually surprised the professionalism that he showed. My wife was a California teacher and was hit with the WEP which her her SS by taking a 900.00 projected amount down to $380.00 for her teaching for only 10.5 years. I will be delaying my SS for a few years until I know the tax considerations. I will Fire in about 6 months when I get my business sold to my Brother in-law. In-laws what a pain!
Good luck to all others that are retiring this year!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom