What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your wife is absolutely right. You've got to get the carpet out of there. Who knows what cruddy things settle below all that fiber?

And if you have a carpeted stair, well, that's got to go too as it has more traffic than the floor areas.

PS. You can justify a new macro lens to photo all that "stuff" beneath the carpet.

Will you post a selfie during the operation?

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1463180548.461691.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1463180566.994176.jpg
As requested best I could do just before and during

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

:LOL: Ask and you shall receive. :LOL:

:LOL: Ask and you shall receive. :LOL:

Yea It was a great time. I whip out the camera and the doc says are you 16? No, some guy on the net wants a picture of this. ;0)

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
B-25 flight

Today I climbed into another B-25, and we met up in formation with a P-51 and another b-25 on the way to Santa Barbara. On the way back to our home airport, I flew the bomber for almost an hour. It was an experience!!
P.S. I had the picture of me taken in the hangar afterwards

Attachments

• IMG_5882.jpg
    IMG_5882.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5811.jpg
    IMG_5811.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 24
Sucked cobwebs and dirt off the ceiling with the shop vac in preparation for painting.

Today I climbed into another B-25, and we met up in formation with a P-51 and another b-25 on the way to Santa Barbara. On the way back to our home airport, I flew the bomber for almost an hour. It was an experience!!
P.S. I had the picture of me taken in the hangar afterwards

Very cool.

I spent 2 hours this morning fixing the back door of a friend's rental property...they just bought the place (no one lives there yet) and someone kicked in the back door to rob the place, but it was completely empty except for a few tools and paint cans, which they didn't take. :D

Went for a walk with DW and stopped to visit a friend who is having some construction done and checked out their project. Cleaned out the gutters and put leaf guards in place. Talked with another friend about changes in the flood maps for our area and some neighboring properties that are affected by the changes (including his, but not ours).

I had a yard sale with my nextdoor neighbor. These were either things that I could not sell on eBay or craigslist or unwanted household items. It was a lot more work than I anticipated, lugging things out of storage, even with putting same-price items in a plastic bin so you didn't have to tag everything.

It ended up being fun and I got rid of everything except about half of the glassware/china which you cannot give away. I met some very lovely people - demographics were +50, or 30's looking for retro stuff, or what looked like low income. Had a few dealers come at the very beginning. Fortunately one of them was into glassware/china and bought a lot, but I already knew the approximate value of everything so I didn't feel afraid that I was letting some valuable treasure go. My yard sale point is anything that will go for less than $12 on eBay.

My neighbor, who does this 3 or more times a year, set the hours as 8am - 3pm. During that time I kept marking down stuff I would have to lug to a donation place. Eventually it all sold. Cleanup, still ongoing, is much easier than setup.

Yes, as I tell DW, the objective is to get rid of the stuff... not to maximize profit.... so I price things attractively.

My neighbor, who does this 3 or more times a year, set the hours as 8am - 3pm. During that time I kept marking down stuff I would have to lug to a donation place. Eventually it all sold. Cleanup, still ongoing, is much easier than setup.

One of my friends has a combined garage sale with the neighbors on both sides twice a year. I never have enough stuff to warrant my own garage sale, so I give him my stuff and he sells it for me and takes a cut.

DW and I went for our TSA Global Entry interviews yesterday. Got both confirmation emails last night!

Yes, as I tell DW, the objective is to get rid of the stuff... not to maximize profit.... so I price things attractively.

Goodwill. Even though I'm FIREd and also a cheap bastard, haggling over a ratty t-shirt or beat-up lamp is not how I want to spend my day...

Goodwill. Even though I'm FIREd and also a cheap bastard, haggling over a ratty t-shirt or beat-up lamp is not how I want to spend my day...

+1

Plus, you have to pay for a permit in advance to have a garage sale here, and they aren't cheap. They enforce that, too. If the weather isn't good, too bad.

Furniture goes to Salvation Army (because they will send a truck and two strong men to get it). Smaller stuff goes to Goodwill.

Every now and then we make a Goodwill run with our donations. First we go over what the other is donating to see if we want it ourselves. Most of the stuff we put together isn't worth the powder to blow it up so we make a dump run too almost every time.

Oh - - this is the "what did you do today" thread. Oops. :blush: Well, basically we haven't been doing much and I like the freedom of our rather loosely organized retirement. Usually we get together to split a light restaurant lunch, then go on a pleasure drive, run errands, maybe go to the gym, and enjoy time together at home. That is what we did yesterday, minus the gym.

Last edited:

I agree with you... not with the effort. I would just give the stuff to Goodwill or Salvation Army, but DW prefers to have a garage sale every so often and I encourage her to price things cheap so that they go and there is less stuff for me to take to Goodwill or Salvation Army later.

Yesterday we went to the send off party for BIL's sort-of adopted daughter (long story) who is in the Navy reserves and was called to active duty, which she wanted. She's off to Bahrain for a year so we won't see her until next may. She's nervous about it but excited too.

Today I spent a couple hours looking at youtube videos on how to fly R/C helicopters, specifically the Blade 230c that is due to be delivered tomorrow.

Yesterday we went to the send off party for BIL's sort-of adopted daughter (long story) who is in the Navy reserves and was called to active duty, which she wanted. She's off to Bahrain for a year so we won't see her until next may. She's nervous about it but excited too.

Today I spent a couple hours looking at youtube videos on how to fly R/C helicopters, specifically the Blade 230c that is due to be delivered tomorrow.

Like imoldernu said, wood floors are dangerous if you take a tumble. Use the funds on the helicopter. Way more fun than a broken hip!:dance:

Like imoldernu said, wood floors are dangerous if you take a tumble. Use the funds on the helicopter. Way more fun than a broken hip!:dance:

I will try imoldernu's line out on DW, but somehow I'm doubtful it'll work.:angel:

Edit to add: As expected, her reaction was an eye roll and a "Nice try".

Last edited:
Yesterday I was productive; today not so much...

After RTFM online, I finally got the HDMI ARC working, so I can now route the OTA signal from the tv speaker to the surround system.

Also saved a thought-dead hard drive. Turns out the usb enclosure was dead. New enclosure from Amazon, and voila, working!

My drone still sits, waiting for me to crash it, some more. Partly neglect and procrastination, and partly the spring winds here on the southern plains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom