What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday and today the pain from my fall a little over a week ago went down enough that I could go out for a walk about half a mile. Toward the end of the week I finally broke down and went to the emergency room (which admittedly I should have done when it happened:facepalm:) and they took the x-rays and ultrasound - I got lucky. This time. All will be fine with some walking and time. Follow up with regular doc tomorrow.

And I ordered one of those gigunda roll-out trash containers that the waste hauling co. sells so I won't be stomping trash anymore. Ever. Learned that lesson the hard way.

And I ordered one of those fancy-dancy computer R/C radios from Horizon Hobby. Amazon sells it at the same price but the seller's return policy is awful. If you buy a helicopter or airplane with the same connection scheme you can download the setups, send it to the radio and bang, your radio is all set up for that aircraft. No more spending hours on setting up and tweaking stuff unless you want to change the default settings and those are just tweaks.

Reactions: W2R
Fixed power sliding door on neighbors van. Went to salvage yard for parts. They are a young couple with older van and three young kids and one door was broke and wouldnt open and the other would jam and alarm would constantly go off while they were driving saying door was open when it actually was latched. Feels good to help others out.
Day before I fixed a neighbors mower. She is single mom with little time and money. I hadnt met her yet but saw her grass was very long so i mowed and trimmed it. Found out when i met her that it was cause her mower wouldnt work. Gapped plug, cleaned rust on spark plug boot and rust in gas tank. Diaphram in carberator was shot so replaced it and gasket and put on new blade. Runs great. Was a great way to meet a newer neighbor.
Didnt get great news from Drs appmnt so this helped brighten up my day.
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Fixed power sliding door on neighbors van. Went to salvage yard for parts. They are a young couple with older van and three young kids and one door was broke and wouldnt open and the other would jam and alarm would constantly go off while they were driving saying door was open when it actually was latched. Feels good to help others out.
Day before I fixed a neighbors mower. She is single mom with little time and money. I hadnt met her yet but saw her grass was very long so i mowed and trimmed it. Found out when i met her that it was cause her mower wouldnt work. Gapped plug, cleaned rust on spark plug boot and rust in gas tank. Diaphram in carberator was shot so replaced it and gasket and put on new blade. Runs great. Was a great way to meet a newer neighbor.
Didnt get great news from Drs appmnt so this helped brighten up my day.
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

That was two nice things you did helping out, you earned some good karma points there! Seems our neighborhoods are getting away from the "neighborly" type places where people used to help each other out with things.

Mowed the lawn with gas push mower and got 5,000 steps on Fitbit for it. Probably very inaccurate (it took me <45 minutes) but I'll take it!

Since Fitbit basically looks for the bump indicating a step, I suspect you could have started the mower and just held on to it for 45 minutes and got the 5000 steps. I believe they've improved the process for determining a step over older pedometers, but not to the extent that the vibration from a mower wouldn't interfere.

Since Fitbit basically looks for the bump indicating a step, I suspect you could have started the mower and just held on to it for 45 minutes and got the 5000 steps. I believe they've improved the process for determining a step over older pedometers, but not to the extent that the vibration from a mower wouldn't interfere.

At my last full time job, the firm held an annual fitness challenge among the various offices using Fitbit - the office with the most steps per employee won. One year, someone discovered that if you left your Fitbit on top of a washing machine or tumble-dryer it would record a lot of steps:LOL:.

Back to university. I enrolled for a Phd today - three years of reading up on science fiction and transhumanism.

It's already starting to feel like w#rk.:nonono:

I figured--maybe I'll just put the FB on the mower and let it run when I want more steps :). But I still get a lot of bona fide steps considering the back and forth across the lawn. Maybe the effort pushing the heavy mower can validate some of the ghost steps too.

Started to clear out kitchen for the great kitchen remodel project which begins next Tuesday. Yea!! Goodbye to the old decrepit everything! I'm even getting a nice new oak floor--can't wait for that. I love the warmth of hardwood floors in a kitchen. Probably will be without a "real" kitchen for 6-8 weeks, but it is summer and grilling out is wonderful.

Yesterday was a partial cleaning of the garage. Still making stuff "go away", and made a decent dent, though more to go.

Also got two or my four yard implements started. The blower and string trimmer started with minimal effort. From a previous attempt I discovered that neither mower would run. A shot of ether and/or carb cleaner would get them to run briefly, so next up is pull the carbs for a cleaning. Thinking of selling the whole lot once they're all running. No plans to resume mowing (I have "people"), and would like to free that space.

Today, so far, is lots of coffee. The adjuster just arrived to inspect for hail damage from storms in late March and April...

Retirement day 18

Read a book in the yard with my morning coffee. Walked 4 miles with new friends. Checked email and made a few housekeeping type calls. Made a salad and ate it for lunch. Cleaned kitchen. Caught up on local politics via the internet. Weeded and moved ground cover. Ate dinner. Watched the news on TV. Surfed the net uselessly. Went to bed.:)

Today was a long day. Left at about 6:15 this morning to take the sports car down to the city for service and oil change. Done there about 10:30 and on to a couple of errands and to Costco to fix a slow leak and rotate tires. The Costco people said the tire with the leak had sidewall damage and needed to be replaced. The tire would be there around 3:00 in the afternoon. Had lunch with a friend. That involved driving about 120 miles, but good to see how he was doing. (He has Alzheimer's) A few other errands and back to Costco about 3:30. They had the tire, but it took until almost 7:00 before they got it on the car. Back home after 8:00 this evening. Its been a long day!

Heading off to Delfest today. 4 days of friends, great music, good food/drink/other, and hopefully a few cool t-shirts. Looking forward to Tedeschi/Trucks, Yonder Mountain String Band, Railroad Earth, and Mark O'Connor in particular. Assuming, of course, that DD doesn't decide to have her baby, in which case I'll be spending the weekend in the maternity ward. I've threatened her, but she's been known to be contrary.

I'm finally settling in. I went for a full English breakfast and afterwards bought some nice flowers. One is a potted red papaver oriental, it's a large poppy, it's one of my favorite plant but I never could sprout them from seed. I guess they don't grow well in California. The other are long stem peonies. It's still cool here so the flowers are the best still.
I also bought some SIM cards for iphone in UK and continental Europe. 10 GBP for 30 days for 100 minutes. I now can call local numbers.

Last edited:
Took my normal 3 mile walk at dawn.
Put a load of laundry on the line.
Went to a drum class with dinner afterwards.
Took pictures of sunrise and sunset.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Long but great day. Left house at 7am with some friends for our regular Thursday golf group at a course an hour away with breakfast on the way. Had a really good day for me... net 61 on par 72... but I was still out of the money.... go figure.

Got back home.... DW was out to golf ladies night at our club so I took a nice ride around the lake on the jet ski and then went to see the movie Race, about Jesse Owens and the 1936 Olympics... good film.

We have four-man teams that are a blind draw after play is completed ... we use low net of the team members for each hole... I suspect that the team members I drew had bad days as our team net was 54. Usually somewhere in the high 50s wins but I think a lot of people had good days today so scores were generally lower.

It sometimes works the other way though in that I'll have a mediocre or bad day and draw some teammates who had a good day and be in the money when I think I don't deserve anything... it works both ways.

Yesterday was another long day in town. Laundry, errands, and construction questions for the building department. Had major amounts of pea-sized hail in Colorado Springs and it was snowing when I got back up in the mountains. It was snowing when I got up this morning. DD is coming up this morning. Today will be busy too.

Walked the dog on the beach. It was a bit drizzly. Ran into one of the city council candidates for my district and quized him on the issues. (He's the husband of the termed out incumbent and a very quirky guy.)

DH and older son are at Home Depot getting sheet rock. When they get back me, both sons, and my sister are going to see Cap't America.

Then I have to pack for younger son. He and DH are headed to a home building project through my sister's church, down in Ensenada. Kind of like Habitat for Humanity - except in Mexico. They'll spend 3 days building a house for a needy family.

I went to Chelsea Flower show. Beautiful flowers of all kind. On the other hand I managed to kill my Papaver Oriental by overwatering. It doesn't like wet feet. Oh well lesson learned.
If it doesn't survive tomorrow, I will get new plant.

I've been spending a lot of time studying the manual and watching youtube videos for the Spektrum DX9 R/C transmitter. It's one of those newfangled computer radios and the manual is all too brief for this guy coming back into R/C after about a 13-year layoff. There are a seemingly infinite number of combinations that can be combined.

Take sequencing for example. On an airplane with retractable landing gear, you can program it to open the gear doors, retract the gear, then close the doors. The sequence then reverses for landing. In the old days this would have taken two different switches to do and you'd better remember the right sequence or things got jammed up.

But figuring it out from the brief descriptions in the book is difficult so this is going to take a while. The good news is that for a lot of models there are files that can be downloaded, sent to the transmitter, and the setup is all done! Just amazing.

After a good trip to the farmers' market (squash, tomatoes, bok choy, green beans, baby potatoes, strawberries, a variety of mushrooms, carrots, peppers, tomatillos, eggs, steak, and soft shell crabs - we have a great variety of vendors!) I set up my new secondary compost bin GEOBIN® Composting System | Compost Bin. Dumped out the compost tumbler into it to "finish" and realized it was way too wet, so I got out the leaf vacuum and sucked up a bunch of the spring leaf drop still hiding out in corners. Put half into the new bin and half into the tumbler to start a new batch. Since it's mostly kitchen waste until the leaves drop again in the fall, that should work out fine as I can add more leaves then.

Need to set up our new weather monitors that just arrived and do some computer cleanup. Think I need a nap first.

I figure you are playing with a bunch of snadbaggers...:LOL:

+1. (In fact, that's so beyond SANDbagging that it really must be SNADbagging. &#55357;&#56834;)

The odds of beating your handicap index by 11 strokes are....well, they're very high! One more score even close to that & I'd be asking you to adjust your HI with the USGA formula; for tourney/money play anyway. :nonono:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom