What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1. (In fact, that's so beyond SANDbagging that it really must be SNADbagging. ��)

The odds of beating your handicap index by 11 strokes are....well, they're very high! One more score even close to that & I'd be asking you to adjust your HI with the USGA formula; for tourney/money play anyway. :nonono:

Hey, my spelling is not what it used to be and my finger typing is worse!:LOL:

Whoo Hoo! Finally figured out enough of this radio transmitter to set it up to fly the small Blade 120 helicopter following the setup directions in the manual. Got in a few flights yesterday evening in the family room and a couple more in the front yard this morning while the air was still calm. Just hovering at this point, anything fancier comes much later.

I'll try to post some photos later on but I'll have to put the camera on a tripod and set the interval timer, I can't fly this one and hold the camera release at the same time.

Still doing at least one 1-mile walk every day, weather permitting I do two. My left foot and calf are still swollen and painful from the blood draining from the huge bruise I got in the fall. Doc said the best thing was walking and keeping it elevated when possible. Hurts like h*ll at the beginning of a walk, not too bad by the end. Except this morning for some reason, it was painful all the way. Oh well, things could have ended up a lot worse so no complaints.

Being to a pub and had a Sunday roast with my SIL. I enjoyed new and creative way of cooking, like lemon grass Pana Cotta with coconut chips/shavings. We walked along the river Thames, it was a wonderful way to spend a Sunday.

Started painting the ceiling;

27298770956_64f7bc285e_o.jpg

Big difference eh? House has not seen paint since it was built - 32 years ago.

A couple of photos of the helicopter in flight in the family room. They were shot with strobes so the main rotor is almost "frozen" but the tail rotor is a blur. Three SB-900 strobes fired from the camera and the camera on the interval timer.

Attachments

• Blade_in_flight-1.jpg
    Blade_in_flight-1.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Blade_in_flight-2.jpg
    Blade_in_flight-2.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 25
+1. (In fact, that's so beyond SANDbagging that it really must be SNADbagging. ��)

The odds of beating your handicap index by 11 strokes are....well, they're very high! One more score even close to that & I'd be asking you to adjust your HI with the USGA formula; for tourney/money play anyway. :nonono:

Well, actually that is based on my handicap for the purposes of this Thursday group that I play with.... if I did it based on my GHIN adjusted for the course slope then my handicap would probably be a few strokes lower so in actuality I probably only beat my handicap by 8 rather than 11, but nonetheless a very good day for me and some "lucky" shots (like skulling a tee shot on a 130 yd par 3, bouncing into and out of a trap and onto the green and saving a par).

Nonetheless I suspect it is my best score ever at a par 72 course.

I played 9 with DW on Friday at my home course and came back down to earth.

Last edited:
I leave in the Fairmont section of Philadelphia so it's an easy walk to the Art museum. My son's had to work so I took out the camera and went on a 'walkabout"

The Rodin park is a popular place for bridal parties

Last edited:
I went to church this morning, then came home and smoked a rack of ribs. Some cole slaw, baked beans and a few beers -- m'mmm good.

I bought a rack of St. Louis style today to smoke tomorrow.

Tonight will be a nice London broil on the barbee with rice & brocolini. And martini's - :)

Yesterday one of my bands played the 50th birthday party for one of the guitar player's wives. It was an afternoon barbeque at their home followed by the band playing a couple 1 hour sets in his man cave garage where we used to rehearse.

Later we sat around with acoustic guitars and did a singalong with a few guests. I'm nursing sore fingers today as I'm primarily a bassist and haven't picked up a guitar in over a month.

I went down to the city for church. There was a large street festival just a few blocks from the church, so I thought I would walk down there. After needing to step very lively three times in the first block and a half to dodge cars, I decided I had been living in the country too long, and turned around and walked back to my car and went home.

Our main outings for the weekend were going out for brunch plus attending a couple of plays, Red Velvet in San Francisco and The Village Bike in Berkeley. Both were really well done. Red Velvet starred Carl Lumbly, who I remembered from the TV show Cagney and Lacey. In the play he played the part of Ira Aldrich, an American actor who broke the color barrier on the London stage in 1833.

My husband and younger son have been in Baja building a house for a needy family. I've been binge watching Daredevil season 2 on netflix. Interspersed with making older son complete all his end of school year projects.

Oh -and I walked the dog at the beach each morning... This morning the tuna crabs were washed up on the beach - which my dog considers scooby snacks. Yum, crunch.

I went for a walk around the local park after dinner at home. The weather is so bad, howling wind, but I had to get out of the house and get some except use because I ate a British donut earlier in the day. I felt guilty. I normally don't eat donut at home but just want to try the British version. It was very sweet. Washed down quickly with tea. :D

Yesterday I had my last day of river guide training. It was a glorious day on the river, with some planned exercises and an unplanned assist /rescue. Our trainers said that they couldn't have asked for a better teaching opportunity than the situation that developed within a paying trip in front of us. The brand-new guides were very excited to be rescuers!

I banged up my shins pretty badly during one of our exercises and left some skin in the river. (Rocks are hard 😕 ). The bruises were sore this morning so I skipped running the 5K race I had scheduled and served as a volunteer instead.

As we finished our day on the river, a couple of the other trainees were moaning about how sore they were going to be. Please. My kids are older than they are. They don't know sore! I did some yoga today and should be fine tomorrow unless I get hit with DOMS.

I'm back on the river tomorrow for my first trip with paying guests. I'll shadow a fellow guide for a couple of trips before I'm turned loose and expected to fulfill all the duties on my own.

Sis has built a hospital in Mexico b4 with donated beds / outdated equipment (2015). Never a house

Today: Memorial Day program / scored $2 backpack + $2 laptop satchel at garage sale for GS2 + GD1 / vegging out b4 bbq. Visited graves yesterday. Wanted it nice and clean

Last edited:
A few months ago I did a poor job of cleaning the concrete floor in my basement following a reno that created a lot of drywall dust, and since then anything that touched the floor picked up the dust.

One of the bands has moved temporarily so I moved everything else to one side and gave the floor a good scrubbing and then a rinse with the garden hose. Once it dries, I'll move everything to the other side and repeat.

Spent a couple of hours this morning on the river, easy trip. Just hanging out the rest of the day.

Got back from Delfest. Had a great time musically. Weather-wise, not so much. Rainy Thursday. Poured Friday. Sunny and hot and humid Saturday. Sunday was merely cloudy, with a little drizzle.

But the music was great! The big surprise was Thursday with a group I hadn't heard of before - The Wood Brothers. Excellent, and I was in awe of the bass player. It made more sense when I found out he was Chris Wood from Medeski, Martin and...

Other than them, there was just a lot of good music. Railroad Earth, Yonder Mountain, Sam Bush, all excellent. I was a little disappointed in Tedeschi/Trucks. I think the sum of their two bands isn't as good as the parts. I loved both bands individually, but playing together ties Derek Trucks into the blues only, whereas his band was much more musically diverse. Plus his incredible singer is now just a backup for his wife. But that's the way it goes, I guess. And it's not like they weren't amazing, just not quite as good as I remember when they had separate bands.

Still, great time. Can't wait until next year.

Got back from Delfest. Had a great time musically. Weather-wise, not so much. Rainy Thursday. Poured Friday. Sunny and hot and humid Saturday. Sunday was merely cloudy, with a little drizzle.

But the music was great! The big surprise was Thursday with a group I hadn't heard of before - The Wood Brothers. Excellent, and I was in awe of the bass player. It made more sense when I found out he was Chris Wood from Medeski, Martin and...

Sounds like a blast, despite the lousy weather.

I went to the War museum with hubby today. It was free. I'm going to take advantage of all the free stuff in London. My husband said when he was young, he came up to this place often and he was often one or two there. It was crowded today but not super crowded. I bought a cup with red poppy as souvenir and also bought another live Papaver Orientale, aka poppy, for matching. When the plant actually flowers, I will take a picture of it and when I'm back in the states, it will remind me of the War museum. I had plan to go to the Churchill War room but decided to skip it.
I'm beginning to like all the free stuff.

Last edited:
I went to the War museum with hubby today. It was free. I'm going to take advantage of all the free stuff in London. My husband said when he was young, he came up to this place often and he was often one or two there. It was crowded today but not super crowded. I bought a cup with red poppy as souvenir and also bought another live Papaver Orientale, aka poppy, for matching. When I the plant flower I will take a picture of it and I can look at the picture when I'm in the states thinking about the War museum. I had plan to go to the Churchill War room but decided to skip it.

Oh my you should do the War room, it's totally worth it even though it not free.It really gives you an idea of what went on in London proper during the war.

Oh my you should do the War room, it's totally worth it even though it not free.It really gives you an idea of what went on in London proper during the war.
I'm here for a while, maybe I will do it eventually. There literally too many things to do here.

Last edited:
Yesterday spent the day watching a crew tear off the neighbor's old roof. Property lines are close here, so that involved considerable use of our patio, which is now is dirty with roof debris. :(

Putting on a new tile roof is a something to watch. Yesterday there were 14 men working - 8 on the roof, 4 on the ground, 1 driving a dump truck, 1 driving a supplies truck. The put in a 10 hour day to get the old roof off, wood and fascia repaired, and tar paper down. There was a lot of rot - the new fascia went in so fast I bet there still is some rot in there.

Yesterday I defrosted the stand-alone freezer - it's a once-every-3-years job that takes most of the day. Since I'll be away for almost 2 weeks at the end of the month, I needed to inventory the stash of frozen leftovers that DH will eat while I'm gone, and figure out how much more I need to store away in the next 3 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom