What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking after DW after a procedure at the hospital. Fetch and carry for a bit but since she was under anesthetic she's exhausted and mostly sleeping now. She'll be fine tomorrow and all ended well.

Stepped out to the back yard for a bit to fly the R/C sailplane and get warmed up from the chill I got while waiting at the hospital. They keep that place way too cold! The sailplane is a lot more enjoyable than I thought it would be, and if I crash it, it was only $90 so I'll just get another one.

A day late to this thread, but yesterday I announced my retirement to my boss as of Aug 25. Doing the happy dance!!! Rode my bike 40 miles this morning to celebrate.

Congratulations! Enjoy your retirement.

A day late to this thread, but yesterday I announced my retirement to my boss as of Aug 25. Doing the happy dance!!! Rode my bike 40 miles this morning to celebrate.

Slow Down! There will be a lot of time for bike rides when you retire. Congrats!

DW and I went kayaking on the Potomac this morning. Had a chance to remind myself just how hard nature photography really is. We had a great time and spotted some eagles, herons, ospreys and miscellaneous small birds.

Isn't it wonderful that the Eagles have made such a comeback?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Did they? ;)

I thought "Hotel California" was at the apex of the Eagles' career and would not be surpassed.

Isn't it wonderful that the Eagles have made such a comeback?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Yes, I remember growing up and hearing all of the dire warnings and, despite living in an area where eagles congregated during the winter, never seeing one. Now, I see them all the time. They are magnificent birds.

BTW, how was your music festival in Italy?

A long john here in ND looks like the original picture but with frosting rather than maple covered bacon. Crullers match the picture that rodi showed. We also have bismarcks which are a circular version of a long john but jelly filled.

Yesterday got my last real stressor off the list, which was car inspection. Today, stress-free, went to grocery store, got chicken and pork chops on sale, returned home, fired up charcoal grill with newspaper and leftover cardboard and some sticks, not needing lighter fluid. Pork chops are done. The fat on them tastes soooo good. Chicken still on. Oh yeah, checked blood pressure using the machine at the grocery store. 121/83.

This past week was loaded with "stressors": in line at the DMV, in line at Costco for tire rotation, on the phone with on-line pharmacy after a prescription disappeared...

But, all checked off the list!

Heading out in the garage to replace a cracked headlight in my 2003 Jetta. Rock got it on the freeway. I need to remove the bumper cover to get at the headlight mounting screws. I have a replacement housing and new glass lens.

Going to be fun in the heat of the day.

Started packing things movers won't move. The reloading room wow! I know how much I bought how come it's multiplied? I'd guess 600 pounds of lead and 150 pounds of brass. Almost thirty pounds of nitro powder and 30K primers. I guess it's OK for an individual to move all that just not regulated carriers.

The last two boxes from Megacorp were hidden down there. I'd conveniently forgotten them for three years! Looking at the junk was great, "DW I think all this belongs in the trash!". Why do I need a brand new System 370 reference card?

Last edited:
It was hot by our house today so we headed to the coast where the weather was sunny and pleasant. We have house guests so we did some of the local tourist activities. We packed a picnic lunch, took a walk on the beach, went to open house and took the tour at the Nike Missile Site in Golden Gate National Recreation Area, visited the Marine Mammal Center and Bay Model in Sausalito and went for a hike around some of the abandoned bunkers in the Marin Headlands.

...... Why do I need a brand new System 370 reference card?..... So I'm not the only one who has one of those? That's historic IBM stuff! Gotta hang on to it!

Last edited:
Took the mutt this morning for a walk at a local city park. It was hot and humid, but my furry friend found a way to beat the heat.

Attachments

• 2016-07-24_10-10-08_351.jpg
    2016-07-24_10-10-08_351.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 27
...... Why do I need a brand new System 370 reference card?..... So I'm not the only one who has one of those? That's historic IBM stuff! Gotta hang on to it!

IBM370Assy.jpg

Saw one on eBay with asking price of $20.

So, you have your reference card. The next thing is to get a System 370 sitting in your living room. It would make an interesting conversation piece.

On the hottest day of the year so far around here, 36C, about 97F, went for a 2 hour one way ride in may gas hog suburban to pick up an $80.- craiglist find woodstove.

The last year's repair of the AC in the burb worked fine, was great pleasure tooling along the highway in the full comfort of a living room couch, the ipod touch playing Boleros via the radio. All systems worked fine in 99 beast.

image 1 of 2 >
00C0C_lKgOue7mcDb_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
IBM370Assy.jpg

So, you have your reference card. The next thing is to get a System 370 sitting in your living room. It would make an interesting conversation piece.

Twenty bucks? I'm getting mine back.

You don't need a real MF, they have a version that runs on a pc. Years back a guy opens up his laptop next to me in a meeting, fires up TSO/SPF as his editor for notes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Emulators are no conversation pieces. You need the real thing.

Next time a guy shows off his vacuum tube amp, you say "Come and I will show you my 370, then the Univac 1100".

Last edited:
Emulators are no conversation pieces. You need the real thing.

Next time a guy shows off his vacuum tube amp, you say "Come and I will show you my 370, then the Univac 1100".

It would have the wow factor. Then there's the environmental issues and I swore I'd never go into a machine room ever! That noise, please make it stop!!!

Last edited:
I live in Philly so the big thing is the upcoming DNC. I volunteered so went down to the convention center and got my credentials.

IBM370Assy.jpg

Wow! What could I get for my OS and DOS PL/1 Language Reference Manual (including chapters on the Optimizing Compiler). Did I already donate my COBOL I and COBOL II books? Oh no!

Electricity was out for four hours after a transformer caught fire.
Got the generator going.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Attachments

• 1469403190556.jpg
    1469403190556.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 1469403224362.jpg
    1469403224362.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 29
Beautiful day here so I decided to go for a drive around the countryside. Summer is passing entirely too fast. Looks like the grain harvest will start in a couple of weeks.

Attachments

• media2.jpeg
    media2.jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 178
I played 27 holes of golf in one day for the first time in many years. 18 holes with two BILs and a friend... I had one of my best rounds ever on my home course... net 64, 6 under par... then lunch with one BIL... then DW showed up and we played a 9 hole mixed scramble.

The scramble was tough...but we had fun. The three other players were not long hitters so there was a lot of pressure on me... I chilly-dipped our second shot on two par 5s (but was still the best of our four shots :facepalm: ) and then smoked a 215+ yard 5-wood onto the greens so we ended up with par on both of those par 5s. :dance:

Beautiful day here so I decided to go for a drive around the countryside. Summer is passing entirely too fast. Looks like the grain harvest will start in a couple of weeks.

Not where I am. The daily high temperature does not drop to the 70s until November.

Oh, by the way, I am back down to the low-desert home, to take a break from the deck rebuilding.

Will be back up to the high-country place in a week to finish the job. The hardest part of the deck was triangular in shape, and took more work to cut and fit the pieces (its longest dimension was 60'). The remaining areas were two rectangles about 400 sq.ft. total, and should go much faster.

Last edited:
It's been a busy day so far and it's not over yet.

- I played golf earlier...my friend and I were the first ones off the tee at 6:30 this morning.
- we stopped at a friend's place on the way home and he barbequed lunch for us
- this afternoon I rehearsed with our guitarist for an upcoming weekend gig
- I'm now heading out tonight to help another friend re-route some wiring in preparation for a patio door install

I don't know when I ever had time to w*rk!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom