What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I worked 5 hrs in the local food bank warehouse. Today it is too gloomy out to think of doing much but I do have a stained glass window's frame to refinish I may just go back to bed.

About 50 miles SW of Denver the sky is blue and it is a glorious morning. The Platte river just to my north and 2000 ft below is socked in. All I see there is the clouds rolling through the river valley.

I went to my brother's today to watch house movers move a 1000 sq ft house from beams in the driveway onto the foundation. Unfortunately, due to equipment problems they were only able to get the house alongside the foundation before they called it a day.

I'm heading back tomorrow to see it dropped on the foundation, and will then help install the 8 basement windows he purchased.

Took Skittles to Pet Therapy training and registered for the test in November to get certified. Rushed home as we were almost set to head out in the RV for my annual beach fix. Went out to lower the wheelchair lift for DH and ***crickets***. Tried everything I could think of then drove it over to the local service place. After an hour of troubleshooting with the factory, it needs a new circuit board, which isn't in stock. Part won't arrive until Friday or Monday, so the trip is off. Super bummed. Spent the rest of the afternoon unloading and figuring out when we can reschedule - probably not until mid-October. On the bright side, much better to fail before we leave - it's a real pain to operate it manually, so much so that if it had failed after we were on the road, we'd have to come home immediately.

Started installing a wireless security camera system so I can keep a look when traveling.

Went to see Sully. $5 tickets and $4 popcorn. Cheap as it gets around here. Great movie. Unbelievable how they landed that plane without any deaths.

Went to see Sully. $5 tickets and $4 popcorn. Cheap as it gets around here. Great movie. Unbelievable how they landed that plane without any deaths.

I concur; good movie, and, though there was likely some "artistic" license involved, I really enjoyed near the end where Sully gives the bureaucrats the finger, figuratively, of course.

I was roped into going with a friend on Sunday afternoon, so the ticket was $12.95 and the popcorn/soda that I should have skipped was $13!

I concur; good movie, and, though there was likely some "artistic" license involved, I really enjoyed near the end where Sully gives the bureaucrats the finger, figuratively, of course.

I was roped into going with a friend on Sunday afternoon, so the ticket was $12.95 and the popcorn/soda that I should have skipped was $13!
Talking to those in the know; it was very accurate. Except for making the NTSB the bad guys, that was the artistic license. You have to have a bad guy, right? Couldn't make it the geese!

Today is my birthday. For the first time in at least 30 years, DH and I went out to LUNCH on my birthday. We had a late lunch, basically between the lunch and dinner crowds that fill a local family owned Greek restaurant in our town. We were quite full after a gyro and splitting an order of Greek seasoned fries, so we took dessert home to have after band practice tonight. I decided to do no housework or yardwork today as my present to myself. I'm on the computer designing a program for a concert this weekend. Last night I got 4 mosquito bites through my pants while weeding. I treated all exposed areas with DEET. Now I'll have to go get a permethrin product to spray my clothes. This weather is beautiful and I can't enjoy it because of the mosquitos. Grrrrr!

This morning, as I often do when the weather is nice, I walked two miles to the supermarket for a small bag of groceries. In most cases, this would be negligible, but the way to the market is almost entirely downhill, and the way home is uphill. I just think of it as good exercise. On my way home, one of my neighbors encountered me as she drove out somewhere. She has seen me do this several times, and she stopped me this morning.

"My daughter is a walker and a runner, and so is her husband, but they always drive to where they exercise. I told her about you, and she said she would never even consider walking up and down that hill. It's crazy."

I thanked her for the compliment and said her daughter would probably better appreciate the value of the exercise when she got older.

DH and I arrived yesterday in Rhode Island to visit friends.

We spent today walking around Newport. My family history in RI goes back a few
hundred years, so I enjoy just checking it all out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Todays my birthday. I'm officially eligible for my microscopic pensions (age 55). Should get autodeposited beginning of next month.

It's been a mixed bag of a day. Walked on the beach with the dog (good). Took a test in my online class (not fun, but I got a 94%). Participated with DH in a free (to me) cooking class at Sur La Table. (Schwab financial consultant invited us). Learned some new techniques. Now I'm home watching netflix and trying to get my kids to be less annoying.

DH is supposed to make me dinner tonight... but is complaining that he's full from the lunch at the cooking school.... But he did just go out to start the charcoal to cook our steaks.

Happy Birthday from a fellow Southern Californian! I have lots of family down your way in Scripps Ranch and La Jolla. Beautiful place to live.

Today is my birthday. For the first time in at least 30 years, DH and I went out to LUNCH on my birthday. We had a late lunch, basically between the lunch and dinner crowds that fill a local family owned Greek restaurant in our town. We were quite full after a gyro and splitting an order of Greek seasoned fries, so we took dessert home to have after band practice tonight. I decided to do no housework or yardwork today as my present to myself. I'm on the computer designing a program for a concert this weekend. Last night I got 4 mosquito bites through my pants while weeding. I treated all exposed areas with DEET. Now I'll have to go get a permethrin product to spray my clothes. This weather is beautiful and I can't enjoy it because of the mosquitos. Grrrrr!

Happy Birthday! Today's mine, as well. I went fishing.

Emailed my latest PhD submission to my supervisor - 20,000 words on science fiction and postmodernism for him to read over the long weekend. :D

DD gets married tomorrow at the Kid's Camp up here. Today is reception set-up day, rehearsal, and then a pot luck for friends and family from across the country. DD has put this all together. It will be fantastic!

DD gets married tomorrow at the Kid's Camp up here. Today is reception set-up day, rehearsal, and then a pot luck for friends and family from across the country. DD has put this all together. It will be fantastic!

What fun for such a special day! Congrats and please turn in your Hermit credentials--it sounds like you have moved on to post-Hermit!

My birthday 2 days ago turned into a nightmare, but not mine. I carpool to band practice picking someone up each week. I went to pick her up and she looked like she had just woke up. She said she was sick and wasn't going. She gave told me to get her music and take it to practice. I got to worrying about her unusual behavior and called her after practice. She was incoherent. I went to her apartment and found that she had been lying/sitting on the sofa for at least 24 hrs without getting up. I commanded her to stand up which she did without difficulty, but her brain wasn't working right.

I decided to drive her to the ER rather than call an ambulance because she is beyond dirt poor. She was in early septic shock. I stayed at the hospital until it was clear she was going to be OK.

She's sees me as a friend and yet I don't see her as a friend. She uses people around her, makes poor decisions, and makes no effort to take care of herself. She is morbidly obese. She has a master's degree but works 3rd shift at Walmart.

I saved her life but I'm embarrassed to be around her. We are connected by the carpool to band. I'm at a quandary as she needs help, has little family (53 years old, only child, parents deceased), and I don't want to keep giving her help. What a strange position to be in.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Got my choppers cleaned at the dentist, had a nice sashimi and tempura lunch.

At 6:00 I go pick up the girlfriend, we have a nice supper with cocktails and wine and go see the Pat Travers concert.

My birthday 2 days ago turned into a nightmare, but not mine.
I saved her life but I'm embarrassed to be around her. We are connected by the carpool to band. I'm at a quandary as she needs help, has little family (53 years old, only child, parents deceased), and I don't want to keep giving her help. What a strange position to be in.

Sorry about the ruined birthday.

See, can't get the doctor out of a retiree.

Most of us I'm sure had someone as a user to deal with. Generosity has limits. In my past, a clinging user's tough love involved leaving them to the their own devices. Unfortunately the results are messy. I do not have regrets of any sort.

I went to the cemetery where DF rests to understand how to relocate him to a Veteran's cemetery (his original wish and DM's desire ever since). They require not only her authorization but also the approval (via notarized signature) of all living children. Huh? Each child has final word and veto power on a matter involving the parents wishes? When I pointed out no such requirement was applied when he was buried there, she smiled, stood, shook my hand and let me know the meeting was over. I am not certain this relocation will take place. :(

My birthday 2 days ago turned into a nightmare, but not mine. I carpool to band practice picking someone up each week. I went to pick her up and she looked like she had just woke up. She said she was sick and wasn't going. She gave told me to get her music and take it to practice. I got to worrying about her unusual behavior and called her after practice. She was incoherent. I went to her apartment and found that she had been lying/sitting on the sofa for at least 24 hrs without getting up. I commanded her to stand up which she did without difficulty, but her brain wasn't working right.

I decided to drive her to the ER rather than call an ambulance because she is beyond dirt poor. She was in early septic shock. I stayed at the hospital until it was clear she was going to be OK.

She's sees me as a friend and yet I don't see her as a friend. She uses people around her, makes poor decisions, and makes no effort to take care of herself. She is morbidly obese. She has a master's degree but works 3rd shift at Walmart.

Not a great way to spend your b-day, but not too many of us ever get to can say we saved someone's life, EVER, let alone while replying to a 'what did you do today?' thread. I haven't read the hundreds of entries on this thread so someone else might have saved a whole school bus full of kids or something :)

Don't believe you owe your band acquaintance anything more than what you have already done for her. Maybe wait and see what her next move is? If someone helped me like you did, I would be greatful and reach out to thank them. But if her first instinct is to ask for more and is 'owe is me,' i'd keep my distance.

Last edited:
I went to the cemetery where DF rests to understand how to relocate him to a Veteran's cemetery (his original wish and DM's desire ever since). They require not only her authorization but also the approval (via notarized signature) of all living children. Huh? Each child has final word and veto power on a matter involving the parents wishes? When I pointed out no such requirement was applied when he was buried there, she smiled, stood, shook my hand and let me know the meeting was over. I am not certain this relocation will take place. :(

Good luck. DW's family went through the ringer on my FIL's burial. The family has plots together, but somehow the cemetery was claiming none were assigned under my FIL's name. It went in circles with all sorts of strange technical/legal terms about the succession of ownership in the family, and that we were going to have to get permission from some family members that no one had talked to in 30 years. It just kept getting stranger and stranger.

I was suggesting that it was time to take this to whatever state board regulates these places. I don't think we got to the point of that happening, but when DW was at their office, suddenly it was , "Oh, Mr John Doe? Yes, that is his plot right here." :facepalm: They acted like this was the first time his name was mentioned. Oh that John Doe? :facepalm::facepalm: It was like they had the info all the time, and couldn't make sense out of their own records.

He was cremated, so no urgency other than some out of state relatives that wanted to attend the burial, but still a real pain.

I should remind DW that we meant to follow up with them and make sure again that her Mother's plot is understood, and get something to document all that. Don't want to deal with it when the time comes.

-ERD50

Dropped off the car for 65k mile service. While picking it up later in the day, I saw a new VW GTI .............................. Oooooh prettyyyyyy!!! :smitten:

But, we don't buy new cars. :nonono:
So, we went grocery shopping & returned home.

Last edited:
MIL has been bringing up stories from her childhood - one being her one room school (for all of grades 1-8). She explained roughly where it was out in farm country. Sure enough I found it on an 1876 county map that I have. Took her by there yesterday without saying anything - she spotted the school immediately even though it has been converted into a house.

Today just playing with my cameras and doing some yard work.

Dropped off the car for 65k mile service. While picking it up later in the day, I saw a new VW GTI.............................. Oooooh prettyyyyyy!!! :smitten:

But, we don't buy new cars. :nonono:
So, we went grocery shopping & returned home.

Well, there are slightly used ones out there! Notwithstanding all the baloney that VW is going thru with the diesels, those GTI's are very fun cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom