What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought new smoke alarms to replace some of the oldest. Bought new batteries for the rest. Raked leaves for several hours.

Replaced the rusted through and rattling heat shield around the catalytic converter on my car. The job was not complicated, but the bolts were rusted and very difficult to reach. Yet another time I wish I had a lift in my garage. Wriggling under the car and working while lying on my back and over my head will result in aching shoulders and neck tomorrow.

Last edited:
We did a family outing for lunch at the #1 BBQ place in Phoenix. Were there 1 hour before opening, and there was already a line.

The brisket just melted in your mouth. I am no BBQ aficionado, but could tell that this stuff is good and deserves its 5-star rating on Yelp.

When I first looked at the serving, I thought that the portion was small, but it was the standing in line smelling the aroma that did it to you. So, we all ordered more than the normal plates. Later we all had leftover to take home because we could not finish our portion. Son and daughter just sent messages asking me if I took a nap. They zonked out after getting home, and I did too.

PS. I love it when a small business is successful because it does something well, but not really unique that nobody else can duplicate. It is the level of care that can be difficult to maintain. This is a family affair, where people are happy doing it to make a honest living. I wonder if they can still maintain the quality when they grow.

Last edited:
Actually it was last night, but I finished doing the photo printer color calibration with an X-rite Colormunki Photo. It requires using the software that comes with it to print out a color test chart which the Colormunki then "reads" by you sliding it over the printout. Based on that, it then prints out a second test chart and it then "reads" the second one and then does the magic calculations to get a custom color profile for that particular paper using that particular model printer.

Using this along with a calibrated display and properly setting the white balance on the camera when the images is taken, you get virtually identical color matching between the scene and the final print. Yeah, I'm fussy about stuff like that.

Raked leaves and painted the shed. Started thinking about the menu for Thanksgiving dinner. We've invited our oldest DD's quasi in laws (DD and BF live together) to join us. I've cooked Thanksgiving dinner 20+ years for immediate family but this is the first time with other guests. I hope I don't screw it up!

Installed a 2.5 gallon under sink tank type water heater to feed the bidet.

Today I finished painting the interior of our new entry door. Pella wanted $400 to have it factory painted...and I wasn't sure it would be the right "white". So I did the painting, in two hours total work time. That's a better hourly rate than I ever earned from Megacorp!

On another note, three out of four of our kids in our extended family, are out of work. Three layoffs, two oilfield related, one lack of business. One was due to a company Chapter 7 bankruptcy and with that comes no Cobra qualification. Looks like a less than cheerful holiday season around here.

Yikes - Adult kids losing jobs sounds like more stress than losing one's own job.

Save

Took DW to neurologist appointment for a suspicious CT of her head.

Doc was a nice calm guy. Went through all the tests and reviewed the CT. His opinion was some very old issue with no current impact.:)

She will go back in six months for a follow up. Think the doc was doing it to make her(and me) feel more secure.

Good trip other than the bizarre time frame from his office. Google said a hour and forty minutes. The office told her two hours, this morning they called and insisted we leave three hours early! Leave at noon! When we arrived at one forty I was shocked!

Her paperwork took at least ten minutes. If that's the worst it's a great day.:)

Thanks for all the support of this group. Ignoring dr. Google is a great idea.

Yikes - Adult kids losing jobs sounds like more stress than losing one's own job.

Save

Lots of family stress, that's for sure. Plus, two of these adults were scraping just to get by. The one who was in the bankrupt company has a lot more to lose since she is divorced, has a son at home, and spends every cent she makes. She was making about $120K with bonus, but was only with the company a year after being laid off from another oil company before joining this one.

Believe me, the oil depression is about two years long and there are no good jobs to be had in the Houston area.

Looks like we will "step up" again to help bail out the adult children for the sake of the grandkids. The three adult children are DW's from her previous marriage and the Dad is not involved (or around, for that matter), so any support is from her alone.

Doc was a nice calm guy. Went through all the tests and reviewed the CT. His opinion was some very old issue with no current impact.:)

Glad to hear the good news. Just in time for Thanksgiving.

Belatedly realized that my 3rd FIRE anniversary was at the end of October. I guess I was just too busy to notice. :LOL:

It's been a great three years (if you exclude a health scare in 2015).

She will go back in six months for a follow up. Think the doc was doing it to make her(and me) feel more secure.

Thanks for all the support of this group. Ignoring dr. Google is a great idea.

Glad to hear that it's nothing new. Dr. Calm is a good thing and not Dr. Blurt-it-out.

Gym day, minor grocery run for salad stuff, and cooked two filet Mignon steaks on the grill. DW made mashed potatoes. I'm stuffed!

Took the car in to have a backup camera installed; stopped at the polling place to vote; worked out at the gym; made lunch; waited around for the A/C guy to show up.
Busiest day in a while.

Took a train ride up to Ronda:
50h7w3.jpg

With the lady in Seat 61:
25gw415.jpg

On route encountered a 'little known' Cliff Clavin fact......a stop named after singer/songwriter Robert Zimmerman:
wmb7rs.jpg

DW & I investigated (and visited) Sarasota as a possible ER destination several years ago. We decided on another location but, downtown Sarasota is a wonderful & vibrant place. Where's your condo located?

We are off of Whitfield, a couple miles north of University Parkway. When we were looking last year, we met a real estate agent about our age who grew up here and she said when she was a little girl that University was a dirt road... hard to believe.

and with our friend from Monteray CA who was living in Antequera for 3 years (in the middle):

Attachments

• f1470032.jpg
    f1470032.jpg
    526.9 KB · Views: 29
I loved their New Bridge that they started building in 1751:

We got a chuckle out of that too.......to paraphrase an old saying......"The difference between Europeans & N. Americans is that Europeans think 100 miles is a long way, and N. Americans think 100 years is a long time".

and with our friend from Monteray CA who was living in Antequera for 3 years (in the middle):

We took a bus ride up there and back last week.....quite enjoyed it.

The California friends bought a house and lived there (Antequera) for 3 years so their kids would learn Spanish. Very different than the coast and many expats live there because it is a Spanish town rather than tourist high-rises along the coast.

The California friends bought a house and lived there (Antequera) for 3 years so their kids would learn Spanish. Very different than the coast and many expats live there because it is a Spanish town rather than tourist high-rises along the coast.

It's 53+ years since I was first in Spain....except for a few spots, Marbella for the Eddie Fisher types, it used to be small fishing villages mainly.

Angel Flight + my DS and DIL

I volunteered for this flight because one of my sons lives in the Palm Springs area. I picked up the patient and his Social Worker in Santa Monica and flew them home to Palm Springs.
My son met me at the airport, and I was surprised to see my DIL with him, because I knew she worked. We had a nice visit, but we had to leave about an hour later to get to our home airport before dark.
She even had some fresh home baked cookies for me, bless her heart.

Went for a nice walk and enjoyed the amazing weather. 64 degrees at 11am November 9th is almost unheard of here. We could just as easily have a foot of snow on the ground.

Somewhat amusing thing about the Malaga/Ronda/Malaga train ride, was that, prior to boarding in Malaga, one has to endure airport type security; conveyor belt X-Rayed luggage, body scanners, etc........Ronda to Malaga however.....people just walk through the station and onto the train. :-\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom