What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lost our 13 year old dog Cody today. Lost my dad unexpectedly less than 2 weeks ago, now Cody. January needs to be over!

Lisa - I am so sorry for your losses. That is a lot to emotionally take in a short period of time.

Did the income taxes in TurboTax, very simple this year. I think I'm done with it but will wait another week or two before filing in case some errant 1099 that I forgot about comes in. And the form 1095-C proving that I had health insurance in 2015 hasn't come in either but I understand they have until Feb. 4 to send those out.

This isn't something I did today, or yesterday, or even over the weekend. But last week, once the ice melted enough (bad ice! Shoo!!), I was able to attend a concert by Arlo Guthrie, part of his current Alice's Restaurant 50th Anniversary tour.

You may have seen his recent PBS special of the same title (I haven't yet, intentionally, knowing about this show), and I'd imagine it gives a good idea of what the performance is/was like. The PBS show is now on their streaming channel, I notice.

So rather than write about the show itself, I'll mention that joining in was an older sibling who had a great deal to do with turning me on to Arlo in the first place. During the course of the evening, I got to hear about a trip they'd taken in the early 90's along with (get this) our mom, who was an adventurous type. Arlo had a concert booked in Memphis that year and decided to take over the Delta Queen riverboat and invite fans to sail down the Mississippi with him and his family (two of whom played with him last week).

Apparently, the boat had mechanical/structural problems and had to be repaired in St. Louis. While that was happening, they took attendees up to Hannibal to do whatever you do there (I guess dress up like Tom, Huck, and Becky?). The repairs took long enough that the scheduled show had to be cancelled, but it sounded like it didn't matter one bit to Arlo and everyone, who managed to have a good time anyway. Hey - why not? Too bad I wasn't on that trip!!!

I'll make this a two-parter and put the other part over in that thread where juvenile delinquents hang around. No wait, we are all either aspiring or already EARLY retirees, right? So I guess we're not delinquent. :)

Last edited:
Lisa, I am sorry for your loss. I sincerely hope that Feb and the rest of the year is smooth sailing for you. Hugs.

Well, less than one month into retirement, things are finally settling down. Today we drove an hour to the Laguna Mountain Recreation Area and hiked about 4 miles in the snow. Lunch and a nap, now we are having some wine to celebrate the release of a friends first published novel today.

Spent 7 hours plowing snow. We had about a foot. We may get some more tonight and if not, it looks like more in a couple of days. Plowing actually isn't too bad. Its too cold to work on the house so its more fun the being inside all day. There were some folks out on snowmobiles. That looked like a great way to spend a snowy day.

Filed our federal and state taxes. Had the numbers crunched before year end in my spreadsheet model as part of my prior-to-year-end tax planning, so I knew well in advance what the numbers should look like. Waited for the software to be available to make it more official. Notified TaxAct of an error affecting Wisconsin adjustment calculation for long-term capital loss carryover about 2 hours after they released the state software - took a few days, but they updated the state program and fixed that. E-filed federal for free with TaxAct and e-filed state (Wisconsin) for free using the department of revenue website - didn't even know I could do that until I happened to find it on their website today when I was looking for an instruction form. Yeah, refunds on both - or I would be sitting on them until April...

Rode the train into NYC. Argued before the US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. Rode the train home to CT. Going to choir practice this rainy evening.

Closed on my mom's old house this morning. A small old house in a declining neighborhood, so not a lot of money involved. Just glad to be rid of a headache. But the house was part of our family for almost 50 years, so a lot of memories............

Rode the train into NYC. Argued before the US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. Rode the train home to CT. Going to choir practice this rainy evening.

I hope you hit all the correct notes in court, and you hit all the correct notes tonight at choir practice.

Closed on my mom's old house this morning. A small old house in a declining neighborhood, so not a lot of money involved. Just glad to be rid of a headache. But the house was part of our family for almost 50 years, so a lot of memories............

That's got to be at least a little bittersweet. Still, you did the right thing. The memories will stay with you forever and nobody can take them away from you. All you got rid of was the headache. :)

Spent several hours pushing heavy wet snow into piles...

Attachments

• CAM4.20160203_112135_1.jpg
    CAM4.20160203_112135_1.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 28
That's got to be at least a little bittersweet. Still, you did the right thing. The memories will stay with you forever and nobody can take them away from you. All you got rid of was the headache. :)

+1
BTDT. Selling was the right decision. Memories are portable.

Picked up new glasses today. First prescriptions for the wife, 2nd pair for me, but with magnetic sunglasses and slightly stronger scrip. Tonight we are doing karaoke potluck with a group of local Austinites who have weekly meetups to practice Spanish and/or English.

I hope you hit all the correct notes in court, and you hit all the correct notes tonight at choir practice.

Thanks, Rodi. Actually, choir was pretty exciting tonight. We had our normal complement of 5 tenors, but only 1 of the altos was willing to brave the weather, so I moved sections and sang alto tonight.

Thanks, Rodi. Actually, choir was pretty exciting tonight. We had our normal complement of 5 tenors, but only 1 of the altos was willing to brave the weather, so I moved sections and sang alto tonight.

You must have quite a range.

Spent several hours pushing heavy wet snow into piles...

Our snow has been very dry. This morning when I was driving the plow truck in to town a breeze came up and blew the snow off the branches of the pine trees. I couldn't see a thing! It sure was neat to watch when you weren't in the middle of it. I stopped at the mechanics because the edge of the fan belt he had just put on separated yesterday morning. By the time I got back to the mechanic's so he could put another belt on, the truck had no brakes! So I hung around while he put new brakes on the front (leaking caliper). Its nice to be on first name basis with your mechanic.

You must have quite a range.

I can sing from A3 to C5 in natural voice. The pieces tonight all had the alto line in the lower part of their range, so it was possible for me to sing them.

Made PB&J sandwiches with a group that puts together sack lunches for women at a seasonal homeless shelter. We put together 150+ meals for Wednesday night. There are other groups that do something for other nights.

Going to the John Deere dealer today to buy a lawn tractor. Won't need it for a few months but I like to plan ahead.

I can sing from A3 to C5 in natural voice. The pieces tonight all had the alto line in the lower part of their range, so it was possible for me to sing them.

Wow, very impressive. Also that you had more tenors than altos - don't think I've ever been in a choir where the altos were outnumbered. More often some of the lower alto voices help out the tenors.

I watching Martin Shkreli's live video chat today. Interesting character.

DW and I went to a Barry Manilow performance last night. We both enjoyed it. His voice was a bit off in the first 10 minutes or so but then got progressively better. He covered most of his hits from years gone by and one of the cuts off his Dream Duets album that has been nominated for a Grammy (a duet with Judy Garland a la the duet Natalie Cole did with Nat King Cole). Closed out with I Write the Songs and Copacabana. Quite a performance given he is 72 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom