What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got home from Puerto Rico last might, so I've been busy this morning doing laundry and getting groceries.

My daughters stalked my Amazon wish list to get me a birthday present. I had heard rave reviews of the Instant Pot, so put it on my wish list while I researched and decided if I wanted one. Well, one showed up on my doorstep the day before we left on vacation. I'm not sure I would've bought it for myself but since it's here I'll give it a try. I spent some time searching Pinterest for recipes while we were away. I just made macaroni and cheese in it, which we will have for dinner tonight with turkey drumsticks (also to be cooked in the IP).

The more you use your Instant Pot, the more you will love it. I use it 3-4 times a week, and have a batch of yogurt in now which will be done in the morning. If you are on Facebook, there are some good groups there for questions. recipes, and ideas.

Yesterday was the complete opposite of what I had planned. I was suppose to be heading out for a long weekend away with my girlfriends. Instead, I was up 1/2 the night before sick. Then DD woke up even sicker than me with strep. Poor DH took us both to the doctor yesterday, picked up our antibiotics, and cared for us all day/night. Then I ended up with a bout of food poisoning last night. Really hopeful that today is better for all of us, although DD is still really ill, I managed to eat breakfast and am feeling a bit better.

Sounds like a great reason for a really nice dinner out, MichaelB.

Did my ususal skating routine. Then at the coffee shop mused over the fact that it has been at least 50 years that I had any practical need for calculus or quadratic equation.

OTOH the view was magnificient.

Sounds like a great reason for a really nice dinner out, MichaelB.
An excellent suggestion, which I will heed. :)

Congratulations! :clap: It's got to be wonderful to be done with that task. That was fast! Or at least seemed fast from here. :)
It was fast. We were going to list in mid-Feb, but the last week of Jan she called and said " we need to list now". 5 weeks later it closed and the money is in the back. I'm both pleased and relieved. :)

Those kinds of transactions, for me, don't seem to be weighing me down until after they're over, then, wow, a weight is lifted.

Last edited:
I was surprised to see that chocolate doesn't start off brown. These are getting a little brown, but when they are fresh, before any drying, they're almost white.

Attachments

• chocholate.JPG
    chocholate.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 14
Skiied. Keeping fingers crossed for more snow next week!
Good luck and I hope it snows for you!

I am doing rain dances down here in Louisiana, :dance: hoping for vast quantities of gentle rain all through March since I just had six pallets of St. Augustine's sod put down earlier this week. Watering is a lot of work, and Mother Nature does a much better job of it.

We do have a good chance of rain predicted every day next week from Tuesday through Saturday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping it really happens. :)

Good luck and I hope it snows for you!

I am doing rain dances down here in Louisiana, :dance: hoping for vast quantities of gentle rain all through March since I just had six pallets of St. Augustine's sod put down earlier this week. Watering is a lot of work, and Mother Nature does a much better job of it.

We do have a good chance of rain predicted every day next week from Tuesday through Saturday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping it really happens. :)

Good luck. We've been in FL for 3 years (part time) now, and we've gotten everything in our yard looking pretty ship shape except the grass. We have St. Augustine (not sure what variety) in the front, and it looks like mierde. We've planted a number of other grasses (Bahia, Bahama), and they don't come up very well. Our front is very shady. We're putting down seed again this year, asun/shade mix of perennial rye, fescue, and something else I've forgotten. Hopefully by the time we leave (May) it will be coming up. We don't usually have to worry about water while we're gone, since it rains nearly every day in the summer. Plus we have irrigation. We'll see how it looks when we get back next year. If this doesn't work, we're going to try a shade variety of St. Augustine (sod). If that doesn't work, we're going with rock.

Good luck. We've been in FL for 3 years (part time) now, and we've gotten everything in our yard looking pretty ship shape except the grass. We have St. Augustine (not sure what variety) in the front, and it looks like mierde. We've planted a number of other grasses (Bahia, Bahama), and they don't come up very well. Our front is very shady. We're putting down seed again this year, asun/shade mix of perennial rye, fescue, and something else I've forgotten. Hopefully by the time we leave (May) it will be coming up. We don't usually have to worry about water while we're gone, since it rains nearly every day in the summer. Plus we have irrigation. We'll see how it looks when we get back next year. If this doesn't work, we're going to try a shade variety of St. Augustine (sod). If that doesn't work, we're going with rock.

It was simple for me to choose St. Augustine's. Every house that I have seen in my (60-100 year old) suburb has St. Augustine's, IIRC. In fact, the variety of St. Augustine's is named after my suburb, at least in local nurseries. It grows well here and doesn't need any watering (once it is established). Our annual rainfall is about 61", and that seems to be plenty.

But sod needs to be watered until it takes root. Earlier this week I had to buy three hoses and two sprinklers for watering the sod. I didn't own a hose or sprinkler before. OK, now I do. :LOL:

It doesn't sound like St. Augustine's is well suited to your area, maybe? Or maybe you need to plant shade tolerant plants under your trees, if you think the shade is impeding its growth. Also I am thinking that maybe you can get some better ideas about the best grass varieties from looking around your area and talking to those with the best looking lawns.

Edited to add: I forgot to mention that before the sod was laid down, I had some very fertile topsoil from the river delta trucked in and spread, and improved grading done. The river topsoil is standard procedure here, because the nice, black, fertile looking soil that is there naturally isn't a good base for a St. Augustine's lawn. The grading will encourage good drainage towards the street, which is helpful with so much rainfall.

Last edited:
I looked at the 15 day forecast and decided I could safely "summarize" the snow blower and tucked it away in the barn until next fall.

Today I spent several hours in the backyard trimming bushes, planting...ummm plants and spreading mulch.

DH is on a m/c trip and called me this afternoon to tell me about a new toy one of his m/c bud's has. He said I needed to go online and check it out. I did....I have to say I'm impressed with the look....

Polaris Slingshot : 3-Wheel Motorcycle - Reverse Trike

Of course if we get one of those, he'll need to sell his m/c so we'd have room for the new toy in the garage....and I don't think that's gonna happen.

Went to Home Depot, and saw that they had put out window ACs for sale. Darn, this winter seems so short.

Gave the motorhome its annual wash, and will be waxing it too. I need it to look "purdy" when I take it out on a trek next month.

Last edited:
Today I spent several hours in the backyard trimming bushes, planting...ummm plants and spreading mulch.

DH is on a m/c trip and called me this afternoon to tell me about a new toy one of his m/c bud's has. He said I needed to go online and check it out. I did....I have to say I'm impressed with the look....

Of course if we get one of those, he'll need to sell his m/c so we'd have room for the new toy in the garage....and I don't think that's gonna happen.

With that trike pulling a small cargo trailer, maybe you will come along on future trips?

We had looked at something like that for DW, although the one we tested was the Can Am Spyder (Can-Am Spyder: 3-Wheel Motorcycles for Touring, Sport-Touring, & Sport | Can-Am Spyder US). I think they were first with the design, but I'm not positive. But they're totally cool. And pretty much impossible to tip over, which is why DW was interested. We had never seen them before up in MD, even at Bike Week, but there are quite a few down here in SWFL.

I know they do have a rental place for the Polaris's down here Slingshot Rental Naples Florida – Adventure in Sunny Florida. I'd try one, but I don't want to remind her about how cool they are.

I think I'm flunking "hermit". I had one day to work on the house this week. Today I went to lunch with friends from my home town out on the prairie. That was about 6 hours of driving and a nice lunch. Next week is getting booked up pretty quickly. :nonono:

With that trike pulling a small cargo trailer, maybe you will come along on future trips?
If I felt comfortable/safe and since I still have my helmet, sure. :)

We had looked at something like that for DW, although the one we tested was the Can Am Spyder (Can-Am Spyder: 3-Wheel Motorcycles for Touring, Sport-Touring, & Sport | Can-Am Spyder US). I think they were first with the design, but I'm not positive. But they're totally cool. And pretty much impossible to tip over, which is why DW was interested. We had never seen them before up in MD, even at Bike Week, but there are quite a few down here in SWFL.

I know they do have a rental place for the Polaris's down here Slingshot Rental Naples Florida – Adventure in Sunny Florida. I'd try one, but I don't want to remind her about how cool they are.
Wow...thanks harley! I'll bookmark those sites for future reference. I'd definitely feel better about trying one out for a little while instead of just going around the block.

DH got a taste of what it's like to ride in one. The wife of a couple (in their 70's) let him ride with her. He said she had a lead foot...I think it freaked him out a little. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom