What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
My grandniece is surely going to be spoiled by all of us.

That has been DW's apparent goal since grandniece #1 was born ten years ago.:D

Today went for a follow-up with the cardiologist who said I'm one of the few who got unlucky with the complications, but it does happen. The good news is that all seems on track to fully heal up in time, but he also said I should stay out of the gym for another month to let things heal. Not exactly what I wanted to hear since it takes so long to catch up again but I sure don't want to risk tearing anything either so I'll take his advice. Easy-type walks are okay so I'll be limited to that for the time being.

Then took DW out to late lunch/early dinner. It's good to start getting back to normal.

We closed on our HELOC! Another 5 days till it funds. It was a PIA without a j*b, one of the few things that were better. Even though BofA was somewhat stodgy to deal with, they gave us a deal that fits what we're wanting to do.

I should stay out of the gym for another month to let things heal. Not exactly what I wanted to hear since it takes so long to catch up again but I sure don't want to risk tearing anything either so I'll take his advice. Easy-type walks are okay so I'll be limited to that for the time being.

If it helps any, I can offer an encouraging word.

I was an avid runner all my life until I suddenly developed some pain in my hip last year that stopped me cold. The MRI showed some severe arthritis and the doc told me I was "on track for a hip replacement."

I was devastated, and I actually needed a cane for any walking over about a block for a couple of months.

But I'm happy to report that taking it easy had the effect of healing much of my problem. I still can't run (and never will again), but today (about 7-8 months later) I can easily walk five miles without a problem. Sure, there's a little twinge now and then, but basically I can walk nearly as well as ever. It was simply a matter of resting it for a few months that made that big a difference.

I have always believed that simple sleep is the best medicine for most things, and I've now learned that avoiding strenuous activity for a period can do wonders for some severe musculoskeletal problems. Who'd a thunk it?

So I'm gratified that you're being sensible about restricting your urge to get active again soon. There's quite a bit of life left in us old codgers, as long as we recognize our limitations.

Sometimes life is just good!

I went to a 4 wheelers season kickoff meeting last Saturday. With the blessing of the group, I put up some flyers with the kids camp Jeep wish list on it. (I gave the 1992 Jeep to the camp last fall with the idea of turning it into and off-road Jeep.) A guy that runs an off-road shop has adopted the Jeep and will totally build it and an off-road trailer for it. He has already gotten a commitment for some of the basic parts (4.56 gears with selectable lockers). He told me all he needed from me was to get a Ford rear end. I took a friend that knew a guy that ran a wrecking yard and he gave us the rear end that we needed and I dropped that off at the off-road shop.

The Jeep will be used to haul camping gear and food, etc. down to the river along a Jeep trail (2,000 ft elevation drop) while the kids hike down for wilderness style camping and fun.

Attachments

• IMG_0991.jpg
    IMG_0991.jpg
    587.8 KB · Views: 14
If it helps any, I can offer an encouraging word. <snip>

Thanks so much, the voice of experience helps! It is frustrating when I feel fine to have to take it easier than I think is needed, but I also need to bear in mind that at 66 I'm not exactly that proverbial spring chicken anymore either.

Sometimes life is just good!

He told me all he needed from me was to get a Ford rear end. I took a friend that knew a guy that ran a wrecking yard and he gave us the rear end that we needed and I dropped that off at the off-road shop.

That is so cool how things like that just seem to come together when needed for a good cause. Do post updates as progress continues!

Easy-type walks are okay so I'll be limited to that for the time being.
Walking is great exercise and even easy-type walks can make a huge difference. Maybe after walking every day for a while, your doctor would approve of more than one easy-type walk per day with a few hours of rest in between.

Great pics NW-bound. Looks like a fun trip.

We saw Allegiant today. I guess it hasn't done that great at the box office, but we've watched the other two movies in the Divergent series and enjoyed this one, too, especially at matinee prices. It is nice being able to go during the weekdays - there were only three other people in the entire theater.

Just finished our annual alpaca shearing visit, 9 boys sheared in about 90 minutes including setting up and packing out. Had a bit of rain to deal with but we're able to keep them each dry until their turn. After they were done, some ventured out in to the rain. Two man shearing team as usual and they had two more farms to visit today after leaving here at 330 pm.

image.jpg

davemartin, what do you do with the product of the shearing? Have a spinner/weaver/yarnworker in the family?

We usually send out some of the fiber to be made in to rug yarn but keep the best fiber, the blankets to spin ourselves. I have an eclectric spinning wheel and my DW has a traditional treadle mill. DW knits so uses the yarn we produce but we also give quite a bit away to friends who are knitters as well. We aren't able to keep up with all the fleece we have so may try to sell a bit of raw fleece this year, still trying to decide. Raw fleece doesn't bring a very good return and barely covers the shearing cost. Spinning goes pretty quickly but all the prep work to get the fiber carded and ready to spin takes a lot of time.

Angel Flight Mission

Today I flew a cancer patient to his appointment in Santa Monica. It was the first flight for him and he enjoyed the experience.
The weather was beautiful along the entire route

Spent time tracking down some bonds...

I chose to have some of refund given to us in I-bonds. They send paper bonds. I wanted them to be electronic on Treasury Direct... so I went through the process of creating the manifest and mailing them off, certified mail.

USPS screwed up - they got stuck in Houston on their way to Minneapolis. So 2 weeks ago I fought with the Post office to get them to find the certified envelope and continue it on it's way... It arrived in Minneapolis 2 days later....

I checked treasury direct today and it didn't show any status for that manifest (should show "in process". I also managed to lock myself out of treasury direct because I forgot one of my security questions.... so back on the phone... After 10 minutes on hold I got a very nice agent... she was able to confirm they had the bonds... but couldn't figure out why they didn't have a case # associated with converting them to electronic bonds.... she talks to her supervisor... it get bumped up from there. 45 minutes later they not only have found the bonds - they've started working on them. Yay!

Other than that I walked the dog on the beach this morning, and shuttled the kids to/fro this afternoon.

We are running out of things to do (or can do) at this stop in our RV trek. So, we are just chilling until we check out of this nice timeshare condo, pack up in the motorhome and wander the countryside again till the next condo stop.

Boy, people in Montana do not seem to drink liquor very much. I had a craving for a gin-and-tonic which I forgot to pack, and had to drive 40 miles round-trip to get some.

We are running out of things to do (or can do) at this stop in our RV trek. So, we are just chilling until we check out of this nice timeshare condo, pack up in the motorhome and wander the countryside again till the next condo stop.

Boy, people in Montana do not seem to drink liquor very much. I had a craving for a gin-and-tonic which I forgot to pack, and had to drive 40 miles round-trip to get some.
Pretty close to a 40 mile round trip for anything here! :LOL:

People here in Colorado like to drink most anything, unless, of course they would prefer to smoke it!

Up in my AZ high-country 2nd home, I would have to drive 80 miles RT to get to a decent grocery or liquor store.

Here in this small town, there are a couple of small liquor stores closer to where I am staying. However, they either close for the season, or open only a few days a week. That led me to think people here do not drink much, hence there is no demand. I had to drive to a larger town.

Spent all day yesterday visiting the grandbaby. We hadn't intended to since we'd seen her just one week earlier, but mutually agreed we needed one more 'fix' before leaving on our 6-week European river cruise adventure. It was a great, great day, and we both woke up with smiles on our faces.

Today I met a girlfriend for an eight mile hike, followed by an easy/casual lunch out. We had acai bowls, my first, and I have to say I became an instant fan. I can see doing a lot of these post-hike come summer.

Plans for the rest of the day are to finalize packing, make a quick trip to the store to purchase some last minute items, read, take a nap, then assemble dinner from items still needing to be eaten before we depart, primarily produce.

Last edited:
Went to lunch an hour or two ago, and broke off a tooth. :mad: Today is my dentist's day off, and I didn't know if this was an emergency or not so I called him on his cell phone. He answered and was very kind but said that as long as it doesn't hurt, it's not an emergency and he can deal with it on Monday.

Besides, it turned out that he decided to take his son out fishing today, so he was talking from a boat bobbing about in the middle of Lake Ponchartrain. :LOL: I told him that fishing with his son was pretty important, too. :D

Anyway, not a banner day but somehow it's comforting to know that even in 2016, fathers still take their sons fishing out on the lake on a sunny spring day.

Went to lunch an hour or two ago, and broke off a tooth. :mad:

Wow, you are just not having any luck at all with dental stuff! Glad to hear there's no pain from it so there's no immediate rush to get it fixed.

Today my Mother died. She was 99 and a real lady .She lived a long and great life and was always the perfect Mother .She has been declining in the last few months but a visit to the hospital sped up her decline . Today she prayed with my Sister ,had last rights and took a nap which she did not awake from. I am so sad but also so thankful that I had my Mother for so long . She died 35 years almost to the day that my Dad died . I am off to Pa. to help bury her and celebrate her life .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom