What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did that, and when I get there, the car had some extra stuff added, they took one or two off the price, example was the pin striping, but I did pay for 2 others (floor mats was one) :facepalm:

So be prepared for that, or be prepared to walk.
I won't stand for it. I have no deposit on it, have not sold my old car and have a wicked reputation on Yelp.

I started the painful procedure called new car shopping .Frankly forget waterboarding make the convicts go car shopping they will reform .We went to look at the Rav4 which I really like but they added so many electronics to it that I will never use so I said I would think about it .Apparently to car dealers this means bring in the manager to try and convince you and if that doesn't work they have you sit there forever .We finally stood up to leave and they brought in yet another manager . Seriously car dealers if you are going to do this forget serving coffee and water bring out the wine .
Too many electronics is my main complaint with my Toyota Venza, too, and I bought it 7 years ago. By now the amount of useless electronics on Toyotas sounds quite a bit worse.
I hope you can find an SUV with less electronics. I have no idea but it almost might be easier to just pay for a new paint job and AC repairs for the CRV. :(

As for the new car buying experience, I agree it's brutal sometimes. Wish they would make it more fun.

I feel free!!!!
Finally cut the cord today on cable TV! I broke my contract with Directv but will save $250 rather than pay them through July. Woohoo! It has been obvious to me this year how little I watch, and with the horrid news/election stuff for the last number of months, downright painful. Moreover, I DESPISE the cable companies. Yeah for me--first the landline, now the cable!
Ok, so I don't know where to go from here but thought I'd try the Mohu Leaf. Kind of interested to see what my TV picks up without anything first.

I feel free!!!!
Ok, so I don't know where to go from here but thought I'd try the Mohu Leaf. Kind of interested to see what my TV picks up without anything first.

The digital antennas work really well around here. I'm still happy with the $11/month for Netflix, and all the Amazon Prime show and movie options are just a bonus with the subscription. The library has an epic ton of movies and TV series to rent.

Today brings the continuing adventures of digitizing my life. I wish SSDs weren't so expensive still; I want something I'd feel safer moving around.

Last edited:
Too many electronics is my main complaint with my Toyota Venza, too, and I bought it 7 years ago. By now the amount of useless electronics on Toyotas sounds quite a bit worse.
I hope you can find an SUV with less electronics. I have no idea but it almost might be easier to just pay for a new paint job and AC repairs for the CRV. :(

As for the new car buying experience, I agree it's brutal sometimes. Wish they would make it more fun.
Totally agree with "too much electronics". I don't think there's much option for less, though. Even worse, you can't turn off many of those things, and if you let your car sit idle for a couple of weeks you may find the battery discharged.

Totally agree with "too much electronics". I don't think there's much option for less, though. Even worse, you can't turn off many of those things, and if you let your car sit idle for a couple of weeks you may find the battery discharged.

DW & I love car keys, manual windows, manual transmissions, and looking over our shoulders when we back up.

DW & I love car keys, manual windows, manual transmissions, and looking over our shoulders when we back up.
I don't know if you were joking or not, but I love those things too! Well, except for the keys. I like my remote entry and push button ignition.

But manual windows? They're great, don't break very often IIRC, and honestly even at my age I can still manage to open a window manually.

And, I ALWAYS look over my shoulder when backing up, in addition to using the rear camera output and mirrors. I trust my eyes more than the camera or mirrors, for things that aren't in a blind spot.

I like automatic transmissions because they are easier when one arm is out of commission (BTDT), but I'd rather deal with a manual transmission than have a car that wants to make life or death driving decisions for me based on inadequate informational inputs.

Last edited:
I don't know if you were joking or not, but I love those things too!

Totally serious - the less things that can malfunction the better, as far as we're concerned.

(We made the mistake of installing a remote operated ceiling fan in our bedroom - can't count the number of times someone's driven into our complex and, presumably, hit their garage door opener or somesuch, causing the fan light to go on and the blade speed to increase.

We've never had a remote car opener but I imagine the same thing can occur given the right frequencies?)

Last edited:
Today I am doing nothing at all. Sitting here monitoring my BP and relaxing.

I was put back on diltiazem last week as my BP was high. Haven't taken any BP meds since October '15 and it has been normal for over a year. Doc says to start it back and monitor. It's been running in the 130s/80s and that's ok. Yesterday it spikes, 140s/90s, then I get a 152/101 and kinda freaked out. I was on another BP med in 2015(lisinopril) with the diltiazem when I was still obese. Some still laying around so I took one. That was fine for a couple hours.

Then I started feeling bad, real dizzy. Standing up and quickly setting right down. My BP had fallen to 70/40 and I was semi conscious. DW calls 911 and two wonderful EMTs show up. They're getting numbers in the 64/32 range and I am pretty out of it. They got some saline in me and eventually it climbed all the way up to 89/57.:) According to the doc they called into that should be OK(they made me sign off) and it's back this morning to something more normal.

So more monitoring and no extra BP meds. They suggested that the 152/101 was too high, obviously, but not a huge deal for a short time(no lisinopril!). She gave me some parameters to understand when to call them or get to the ER.

Do they even make cars like that anymore ?

Sure, here you go:

1966 Shelby Cobra | eBay

That's a new car, but a replica of a 1966 model.

No electronics other than the bare minimum to drive the car (ignition, starter, lights, etc).

No radio. No heater. No A/C. Even better than no power windows - no windows! No window crank to break. You'd be in heaven!

And with no top (at all - not a convertible, just no top), you get excellent rear visibility. We don't need no stinkin' back up camera!

There you go - plenty to choose from on ebay or other car sale outlet.

-ERD50

Do they even make cars like that anymore ?

None currently made in the U.S.

Well...we just found one that has manual windows and door locks, 4 speed manual transmission, no power anything, no engine computer control, one fuse box with 12 fuses in it, an air cooled engine and an AM-FM radio. It's my winter project: (it does have seat belts, though)

IMG_20170113_163557_zpsbdx9rkpi (1).JPG

Looks fun! And a little dangerous.

Fun yes, dangerous no. The helicopter has an all-up flying weight of 1.1 ounces and is powered by a single-cell li-po battery. I've hit my leg with it and all I felt was the jean fabric move a little. I think the only way I could hurt anyone is to hit them right on the eyeball with a main rotor blade - for sure that would hurt!

Today was the first day back at the gym since the surgery on my arm on the 18th. Still on the 10-pound weight restriction, I could only do most of the cardio and two weight machines that don't require use of the arms.

And it's amazing how fast the atrophy sets in.:(

Woke up at 4:00 AM - due to getting back from our almost 3 week trip to Italy last night. Managed to stay in bed until 7:00, but didn't sleep any more. Then out for breakfast and stocked up on groceries. Helped wife make an apple pie and sorted laundry. Went through the mail to separate out the tax documents and skimmed this site to see if I missed anything important. Not the most exciting of days, but it's good to be home, I think.

Yesterday - changed the oil and rotated the tires on my car. Today -- annual church meeting of my Congregational church to approve the budget for the new year. Oh, the joys of direct democracy.

None currently made in the U.S.

Well...we just found one that has manual windows and door locks, 4 speed manual transmission, no power anything, no engine computer control, one fuse box with 12 fuses in it, an air cooled engine and an AM-FM radio. It's my winter project: (it does have seat belts, though)

View attachment 25354

Nice. The only new car I ever owned was s 1972 red VW Super beetle.

Which 130,000 miles later sold to my niece for $100.- . It needed some work, so she took it to a part ime mechanic, whom she married a year later.

Nice. The only new car I ever owned was s 1972 red VW Super beetle.

Which 130,000 miles later sold to my niece for $100.- . It needed some work, so she took it to a part ime mechanic, whom she married a year later.

I wonder if he cut her a deal on the labor. :D

Stopped in to the EMS dispatch to thank the folks who were out here last night. I couldn't get in but a gal came out as I was leaving. The EMTS were off shift but the gal I talked to was the dispatcher last night, she knew immediately who I was talking about and promised to rely the message. I gave a couple of reasons why these two went above and beyond their jobs.

The look on the dispatchers face was priceless.:)

MRG, somehow I missed your post about your BP incident. How scary! I am glad that you are OK now. Thank goodness the EMTs knew what they were doing and got you through that BP crisis.

Thanks WR2. I'm feeling better and really grateful for DW and the EMTs. I'd actually passed out for a while, fountained, and could have choked permanently. :confused:

BP is normal. Last night I told the EMTs that my head felt like a cow kicked me. They explained that as an effect of low BP, today it's better; it only feels like a cow kicked me last night.:)

I was so amazed how the confidence and training of the two gals who were out here. They took care of me but at the same time they let DW know they were taking care of business. It was nice to see how they helped her.

Last edited:
So glad you are feeling better, other than your head! That sounds like a close call.

I'll join you in feeling like a cow kicked me in the head, but in my case it's just sinuses acting up today plus some toothache pain that my dentist is going to fix for me in the morning.

But manual windows? They're great, don't break very often IIRC, and honestly even at my age I can still manage to open a window manually.

Until 2007 when I bought a new Subaru, every single vehicle I had owned prior to that had manual windows.

Until 2007 when I bought a new Subaru, every single vehicle I had owned prior to that had manual windows.

After I bought my plow truck I replaced the passenger door. The replacement has a power window. I replaced that with the manual one in the bent up door. :LOL: It works fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom