What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tax time

I spent 6 hours at the senior center doing taxes for low income and senior people.
They changed the tax software package this year so it was a real learning experience.

I spent 6 hours at the senior center doing taxes for low income and senior people.
They changed the tax software package this year so it was a real learning experience.

I see you're in CA, so at least you probably avoided the server issues. We started at 9 am EST, but the softer ware servers kept going down. We didn't have consistent connection with the software until just after noon EST. It was a frustrating morning here on the east coast.

I see you're in CA, so at least you probably avoided the server issues. We started at 9 am EST, but the softer ware servers kept going down. We didn't have consistent connection with the software until just after noon EST. It was a frustrating morning here on the east coast.
We did have problems here in CA, and I called my BIL in NY and he verified that they were also having problems.
We started up at 8:30 PST (11:30 in NY) to get ready for the 9 AM opening, so that was noon your time.

Enjoyed one of my favs at one of the many excellent Mexican places here, "Camarones Costa Azul", shrimp stuffed with cheese, wrapped in bacon and deep fried after I sawed up the old picnic table and cut wood for the new one.

Now drinking rum & coke and going to finish up my lunch. Yup, it's so big it makes lunch & supper.

After spending much of yesterday working with GnuCash, I spent much of today doing the same with Moneydance. It sure is a lot of effort to figure out what to use for financial software. I'm just too cheap to stick with Quicken! :facepalm:

So, having already bought Quicken 2017 before I learned of their shenanigan, I got myself more time to figure this out.

I too hate that feeling, when someone has his hand around my, er, precious parts.

So, having already bought Quicken 2017 before I learned of their shenanigan, I got myself more time to figure this out.

I too hate that feeling, when someone has his hand around my, er, precious parts.

After trying out the other two applications, I think I will stick with my Quicken 2016 for as long as I can use it. I will be surprised if they lock it down so I cannot do manual entries, but I have put the wrong password in and with this version you have to go to Quicken to get it unlocked. Time will tell.

Stopped at Lowes and bought eight 40 lb. bags of salt for the water softener. This should hold us for about a year and a half. Then took DW out to lunch at Ruby Tuesday with a $7 off coupon.

BTW, I think they're putting more than 40 lbs. of salt in those bags. At least they seem a lot heavier than they used to be.

DW and I went to see Al Di Meola on his Elegant Gypsy 2017 Tour. A good show.

Went to the auto show. Took Uber for the first time ever to get there and back from DD's place.

Congrats, Nodak! :)

As for me, I had a quick and painless root canal done today. It made my day because my tooth feels so much better. :D

Well, fooey, it started hurting again a day or two afterwards. So today he re-did the root canal in a last ditch attempt to save the tooth. If none of this works, I'll have to have another implant.

Sorry to hear about your dental problems W2R. That seems to be a common problem for many of us "seasoned" life veterans.

DW had an implant and a crown last year, and is getting a bridge this month. She went to have it "installed" early this month, and when the dentist put it in and told her to "bite down - hard" she did. It cracked in half.

She has an appointment tomorrow for a do-over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear about your dental problems W2R. That seems to be a common problem for many of us "seasoned" life veterans.

DW had an implant and a crown last year, and is getting a bridge this month. She went to have it "installed" early this month, and when the dentist put it in and told her to "bite down - hard" she did. It cracked in half.

Ouch! Now that would be annoying, to put it mildly.

On the bright side, my dentist confidently assured me today that these implants that I have been getting, will last for at least 30 years (or longer). Thirty years is all that matters to me because now I am 68, so by then I'll probably gone or nearly so.

Last edited:

Whoa! Good thing that happened in the dentist's office and not a couple of weeks later when out to dinner or out of town. And ouch, W2R--the causes of a root canal imo are so much worse to endure than the root canal--sorry you get double the "fun".

Last edited:
Went out and caught a movie today, then went out for ice cream at one of the local places near the beach. Spent a few hours putting the new gaming mouse and keyboard to use while the last turkey from last year cooked.

It's been a fun day!

I recently quit the gym, and every morning has been spent with some high-quality bands that've lasted me the last decade on a worthwhile workout. I'm happy the holiday 10 pounds is coming off. I'm amazed these stretchy bands are offering the kind of workout I used to need weights at the gym for.

These, specifically.

Assembled, routed and sanded my new picnic table. Painting tomorrow.

W2R as of last December I'm on my 5th surgery in 25 years to save a molar. Two root canals, 2 apioectomys, and the Dec surgery was to open the gum area so I can clean around the roots everyday. Still no implant but I've been threatened with the possibility of one for all these years. Perhaps I should have had one by now but the thought of saving the tooth has always been the more attractive option. Since each surgery has averaged about 5 years we'll see where I am then...

Reactions: W2R
I have the best SO ever . He took me out last night for Valentine's day and today I awoke to two dozen red roses , a card & candy . He will eat the candy but what a great guy .

It doesn't matter how healthy a person is, he/she is not immune from dental problems. Sigh...

Maybe this and earlier posts should be in the thread about "Effects of Aging" here. But I also think of the thread about "Offbeat Ideas", where public nudity was discussed.

And so, I was thinking about that poster's suggestion, and in my wild imagination I pictured these geezers. Hairless, toothless, and now clothless. ARGHHH!!! :banghead:

I have the best SO ever . He took me out last night for Valentine's day and today I awoke to two dozen red roses , a card & candy . He will eat the candy but what a great guy .

Two dozen!!! He gets brownie points for going above and beyond.

DW and I went to see Al Di Meola on his Elegant Gypsy 2017 Tour. A good show.

Catching the show in Dallas this Saturday, though I've seen Al twice solo, plus once with Ponty and Clarke (Rites of Strings tour), and once with RTF...

Well, fooey, it started hurting again a day or two afterwards. So today he re-did the root canal in a last ditch attempt to save the tooth. If none of this works, I'll have to have another implant.

It's wonderful when you and your dentist have a special relationship.

The daily morning workouts continue. The bands were worked in with enough time to finish on the exercise bike. It's still the best way I've found to get energized for the rest of the day, even if it's greatly reduced from what I used to be able to do.

Decluttering marches ever toward a state of zen. The books got donated to the library, the DVDs got burned and donated, the DVD cases recycled. The last of the clothes were dropped off. The boxes everything used to be packed in are broken down and in the bin.

On the way back I stopped to pick up pine pellets for the cats. A little experiment to see if it's really a worthwhile replacement for clay litter. It's certainly cheaper! I'm so grateful for the cashier's help in getting that 40# bag into the trunk for me. I was able to pull it out onto the dolly to get it into the house at least. A deteriorating body at 30 sucks. :nonono:

Then I opened up the computers and blew the dust out. It's amazing how much accumulates in such a short period of time. Having everything unplugged gave me the opportunity to clean up all the cablemanglement; now when it comes time to move, it's going to be so much easier to get this all packed up.

Now I'm looking at Roomba's because it's time to vacuum again, and that's a chore that's been getting harder to do as well. I'm in a 1200 sq ft house wishing I had something a little smaller with the effort it takes to keep everything clean and maintained; I can't believe I have friends trying to find something that's 2500+ sq ft.

Hope the root canal works. Nothing worse than tooth pain and discomfort.

Catching the show in Dallas this Saturday, though I've seen Al twice solo, plus once with Ponty and Clarke (Rites of Strings tour), and once with RTF...

The show (Elegant Gypsy Electric 2017) was very good, a mix of electric and acoustic. He has a violin player (Evan Garr) who is outstanding, apparently self-taught. Enjoy!

First interactions with Kaiser Permanente are less than satisfying. It's a "system."

Called for appt for DH. The appointment maker said they had an opening the same day. Incredulous, we ask for confirmation of that and say, We'll take it! DH goes in and they say, No, your appointment is two days from now. He needs a physical done so the doctor can sign a form that says he's alive.

Goes today. Physical done. Come back tomorrow for blood work. (Makes sense; needs to be fasting).

They say signing the paper takes 10 business days.

What?

I guess we'll get used to it.

Went and had my pre-colonoscopy discussion. There's a 50/50 chance the anesthesiologist will be the neighbor.

DW and I went out to lunch at the brewery. After we drove to SJNF for some snowshoeing. Pretty warm, 45, and the snows melting too fast. A gal we passed said she expects there should be another 6 feet at this time of year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom