What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad! I did wonder about the scheduling conflicts. You almost have a "job" going on!

Although I'm in 3 bands, rehearsals are only 6 - 8 times a month between all 3 which leaves plenty of time. Also, I checked in advance before the audition and learned they rehearse on a day that doesn't conflict with any other commitments. That being said, a lot of bands want you to make them their #1 priority.

Anyway, I met a few nice people and had fun jamming for a couple hours. As has happened before, if this doesn't work out then something else will come along. Also, the musician network being what it is, there's a chance in the future that I may run across one or more of these fellows in the future. I once met the same guitar player at 2 different auditions!!

Spent yet another day with DW and D-SIL sorting through 'stuff' at my late DF's house. The man never threw anything away, in this case to our delight (now that the broken 1960's era pots and pans are gone). We found WWII ration stamps, a license to own a pistol from 1926 belonging to my GGFather, railroad employee passes for a variety of years spanning from 1902 to 1968-ish, a family bible from the mid-1800's, his high school yearbook from 1942, and many other goodies. Not sure if it's neat or embarrassing, but he had every single paystub he ever got from the railroad, from 1942 to 1986. Ditto every tax return since 1950. Kind of funny to see what a year's salary was in those days for a young man just starting out.

I think I'll see if the local historical society and the railroad historical society would be interested in some of this stuff.

Glad to hear that there is actually some interesting stuff in there! I dread the day my Dad passes...there is so much junk in his house...ugh...it makes me cringe to think about how long it will take to sort through it all.

And congrats on your retirement!!! :D

I didn't do this in one day, but over a few days. Amazingly, I lived through it. I lashed the extension ladder to the tree in several places, including where it leaned against the trunk. Then I carried the electric chain saw up and buzzed off smallish chunks at a time.

Attachments

• TreesIMG_20170225_151253449_HDR[1].jpg
    TreesIMG_20170225_151253449_HDR[1].jpg
    991.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20170413_163801267[1].jpg
    IMG_20170413_163801267[1].jpg
    796 KB · Views: 29
"He's a lumberjack and he's OK...."

Glad to hear that there is actually some interesting stuff in there! I dread the day my Dad passes...there is so much junk in his house...ugh...it makes me cringe to think about how long it will take to sort through it all.

And congrats on your retirement!!! :D

Thanks! I don't know how in the world I would ever find time to manage the estate if I wasn't retired. It's a full time job.

Thanks! I don't know how in the world I would ever find time to manage the estate if I wasn't retired. It's a full time job.

"Manage the estate"?
Is that you, Lord Grantham? :trash::LOL:

Last edited:
Not sure if it's neat or embarrassing, but he had every single paystub he ever got from the railroad, from 1942 to 1986.

I haven't the foggiest idea why, but I did that too. They don't take up much space and it is occasionally interesting to look at a pay stub from 1973.

I didn't do this in one day, but over a few days. Amazingly, I lived through it. I lashed the extension ladder to the tree in several places, including where it leaned against the trunk. Then I carried the electric chain saw up and buzzed off smallish chunks at a time.

Seems to be a common technique:

Attachments

• image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 26
Met a friend for breakfast and then played my first golf game of the year...and then proceeded to shoot my best round in almost 2 years!! :)

Have another band practice tonight.

Met a friend for breakfast and then played my first golf game of the year...and then proceeded to shoot my best round in almost 2 years!! :)

Have another band practice tonight.

My golf group got going two weeks ago. I was just as bad as ever!

Good for you! My golf group got going two weeks ago. I was just as bad as ever!

My golf group got going two weeks ago. I was just as bad as ever!

I'm usually awful my first game as it's about 6 months since I last played. Today was an aberration...I'm a 16 handicap and shot 84 with a quad and a triple on winter-burned greens covered in sand. How the heck did that happen?? :LOL:

A friend does tree cutting. Sort of a side job. The last ones were very big, very old cottonwood trees. They get 8 or so feet in diameter. He was up crawling all over them. He is in his mid seventies. :cool: For his more formal job he goes up to northern Alaska and works on the pipe lines.

Sent the morning doing battle with the dryer (I won). Grocery run this afternoon, then took DD2 to see about volunteering at a local nature center. Picked up some chainsaw blades I had sharpened on the way home and made dinner. A buddy from out of town is coming over for beers later this evening.

Hanging out in the hospital. Had the damaged part of my esophagus removed a week ago (last Tuesday). Reconstruction surgery to make a new connection to my intestine with the stomache and remaining esophagus appears to have gone as planned. Have had a few normal or not unexpected side effects like a feeding tube that didn't stay in place and a collapsed lung so hoping today will be the first routine day. Hoping to go home tomorrow, some have asked so wanted post a short follow up.

Thanks for the update. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

We saw Urinetown at The Berkeley Playhouse. We really enjoyed it. It was a fun musical satire on capitalism and authoritarianism which is probably preaching to the choir in Berkeley. The Urinetown name comes from a dystopian future with a long term drought where a private, for profit monopoly make all the toilets pay toilets.

Taxes done and filed. No surprises. Paid a small amount to the feds, getting half that back from the state. Life is good.

I saw Urinetown at my kid's high school theater, IIRC. My kid's friend who was in it got into Harvard. This is back in 2007.

I did see a few "tree trimming fail" videos, and was trying not to repeat those, lol! I only sawed *above* where the ladder was leaning!

A friend does tree cutting. Sort of a side job. The last ones were very big, very old cottonwood trees. They get 8 or so feet in diameter. He was up crawling all over them. He is in his mid seventies. :cool:
Wow, still fit enough and enough confidence in his balance in mid seventies to climb in huge trees.

"He's a lumberjack and he's OK...."
Had to look that one up. Good one!

Have to put in a brewing joke after seeing the Monty Python song...

At the brewing meeting:
Person A: I think I'll do a lager.
Person B: How are you going to do that, I don't see anyone with a plaid shirt.

Last edited:
At the brewing meeting:

At the brewing meeting:
Quote:
Person A: I think I'll do a lager.
Person B: How are you going to do that, I don't see anyone with a plaid shirt.

Is there an Afrikaans version?

Person A: I think I'll do a laager......
Person B: I don't see anyone with an ox-wagon.

Last fall I tried some biltong from a local South African store. It is kind of their version of jerky.

Nasty stuff.. :( To under dried and fatty for my taste... and this from a guy that still has "crackling" off a pork roast several times a year..

It did wash down okay with a Castle [-]laager[/-] lager though...

Made an early run to the market to stock up the pantry and freezer. When all the dust settled, using a $10 off coupon I spent $108 and saved $106!
Turns out I am going to need it. I took DW's car in to fix the A/C, and it needs a new compressor and expansion valve.:(

We made a grocery run in late morning. There were more shoppers than expected. Apparently, many workers had or took today off.

Early this morning, I woke up before market opening time as usual, then waited till 9:30AM NY time to check the market on my laptop. What? The indices looked stuck. Then, it dawned on me that the market had the day off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom