What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
We went through a bunch of old file folders and threw out/shredded several year's accumulation of paperwork and files. DW keeps a lot of stuff during the year and then moves it to a downstairs cabinet. This was the year to go through it and clear out the oldest stuff.

Thanks! I'll post the progress.

You should post a picture of the older VW's.

This is, I think, the first year of the SB. It has the better front suspension, a flat windshield, flat dash, horizontal spare tire storage and has a dual port 1600 CC engine with a Solex 34 PICT -3 carb.

If my memory serves me right, I had a 74 SB in the early 1980's when my youngest was born. I had several 60's Beetles "way back when" and a 1970 VW Bus for a while too.

My '57 and a 1950 Sunroof that I had for 10 years but sold a few years ago.

1937278_1214562131433_5046338_n.jpg

Thirty-some years ago the then-wife and I had two dogs and I worked rotating shift work. The dogs knew better than to wake me up when I was sleeping during the day - I got grouchy with them. But if I was half-asleep, I could hear one or both come into the bedroom and rest a chin on the side of the bed and stare for a moment. If I kept my eyes closed and breathing even, I'd hear long sigh and they'd pad out of the bedroom. But if I so much as cracked an eyelid they were all over jumping around (they weren't allowed to actually get on the bed) in effect saying "Okay, you're awake, time to get up and let us outside!"

One has to be a dog owner to appreciate the humor in this.

I'm a dog lover, so I understand.

Ours used to be up early, but has now learned to wait until 7:00am, when I usually get up. She goes outside, does her thing, and then back to bed with mommy while I have my coffee and read the news. (Yeah, we let her on the bed:angel:)

I tried out a new bass teacher today...this was the third teacher I have "auditioned" in the last few weeks. :D

The first one was a guitar player who also teaches bass...nope, that doesn't work as they are different instruments and require different approaches. I've been playing for a long time and already "know" how to play...I'm looking for advanced lessons and technical instruction that most guitarists can't offer.

The second teacher was okay, but it's a 50-55 minute commute each way and they only offer a half hour lesson once a week...that's too much driving for a 30 minute lesson.

Today I found the right teacher. He's been playing a long time, has a music degree, and is proficient and technically sound. The school also offers a 1 hour lesson bi-weekly, which is my preference, and the commute is only 20 minutes each way. As I was leaving he commented that it will be nice for him to have an advanced student for a change as the majority of his students are beginners.

I tried out a new bass teacher today...this was the third teacher I have "auditioned" in the last few weeks. :D

The first one was a guitar player who also teaches bass...nope, that doesn't work as they are different instruments and require different approaches. I've been playing for a long time and already "know" how to play...I'm looking for advanced lessons and technical instruction that most guitarists can't offer.

The second teacher was okay, but it's a 50-55 minute commute each way and they only offer a half hour lesson once a week...that's too much driving for a 30 minute lesson.

Today I found the right teacher. He's been playing a long time, has a music degree, and is proficient and technically sound. The school also offers a 1 hour lesson bi-weekly, which is my preference, and the commute is only 20 minutes each way. As I was leaving he commented that it will be nice for him to have an advanced student for a change as the majority of his students are beginners.

Reminded me of this:

Today turned out to be quite successful. I could not find my sunglasses for the trip to church this morning. After I got back from church I did a concerted effort to find the battery minder that I had been looking for for a while. I wanted to get the sports car battery hooked up because it probably will not be out again until spring. Not only did I find the battery minder but also found the sunglasses. The sunglasses were in the sports car and the battery minder was right where I left it. :facepalm: The sports car now has the battery minder hooked up, the sunglases are back in the Jeep where they belong, and all is well. :)

Today turned out to be quite successful. I could not find my sunglasses for the trip to church this morning. After I got back from church I did a concerted effort to find the battery minder that I had been looking for for a while. I wanted to get the sports car battery hooked up because it probably will not be out again until spring. Not only did I find the battery minder but also found the sunglasses. The sunglasses were in the sports car and the battery minder was right where I left it. :facepalm: The sports car now has the battery minder hooked up, the sunglases are back in the Jeep where they belong, and all is well. :)

Funny and familiar. When I "lose" something in the shop (usually a tool or part that I just had in my hands) I make myself do this: I stop whatever I was doing, forget about that project task, and start at one end of the work bench start clearing it, putting stuff away *where it belongs*. Just clean up the entire bench space. It has NEVER failed me, I always find the thing that I lost and the side benefit is I at least get some of the bench cleared off.....!

After ignoring it for over a week, I finally did the 3rd coat of drywall mud in the basement. A pro would now be done after 3 coats, but I'm not a pro :) It probably needs 1 more coat to get 95% done, then hopefully just some touch-ups before painting.

Spent an hour practicing scales and modes on bass...although I know the theory well enough, I've never really done the reps to ingrain the patterns in my mind and develop the muscle memory. For years I've just learned how to play the songs and left it at that.

After ignoring it for over a week, I finally did the 3rd coat of drywall mud in the basement. A pro would now be done after 3 coats, but I'm not a pro :) It probably needs 1 more coat to get 95% done, then hopefully just some touch-ups before painting.

Spent an hour practicing scales and modes on bass...although I know the theory well enough, I've never really done the reps to ingrain the patterns in my mind and develop the muscle memory. For years I've just learned how to play the songs and left it at that.

When I do mud on what will be a flat wall with no texture, I shine a flashlight along the wall with the flashlight touching the wall. When the light is shined over the areas with mud, all imperfections show up. Then I work the imperfections out. It takes more time, but you wind up with a very flat surface.

When I do mud on what will be a flat wall with no texture, I shine a flashlight along the wall with the flashlight touching the wall. When the light is shined over the areas with mud, all imperfections show up. Then I work the imperfections out. It takes more time, but you wind up with a very flat surface.

I have one of those 500w halogen work lights...you can't hide any flaws from that sucker. I've also learned that it's also not a good idea to look directly at the bulb :LOL:

Installed an LED outdoor wall sconce to replace a big ugly and heavy mercury vapor in the backyard. Made a itty-bitty corner shelf of maple to put my oculus rift sensor on. Did some tax stuff and got me a nice prime ribeye for supper tonight.

Now drinking a rum & coke.

I was going to get so many things done today, and then public television ran a Masterpiece Classic marathon . . .

Epiphany Now that we redid all the Farmhouse dripping faucets and replaced old pipe with PEX the water freezes below zero Fahrenheit.

So got out an old leaky which I saved and drive up and reinstall tomorrow afternoon when the temp goes above freezing.

heh heh heh - may crawl under come Spring and install some heat tape. Shoulda let it leak - the water bill wasn't 'that' bad. :cool: It was nice that the temp warm up has held til after the playoff games this weekend.

Went to see "Hidden Figures" this afternoon with a group of friends. We all enjoyed it very much and hope that lots of younger folks will get a small glimpse into some of the *$^@ that women and people of color endured not so long ago. As an aside, the actor who plays John Glenn was a HS classmate of DD (which I didn't realize until I saw the credits and recognized his name).

Came home to find the crockpot of vegetable beef soup ready to serve for dinner. Great timing!

Went to Epcot in Orlando, now chilling at our resort, waiting for the weather to warm up tomorrow.

Had a new set of snow tires put on the car in preparation for my trip out west for some skiing in a couple of weeks. This was my first time ordering tires from tirerack.com and I was very impressed with both price and service. I expect to be a regular customer now.

It's been cold and snowy so I decided to go visit a saddle maker and shoot the **** with him. Then I ran into a guy that I worked with over the summer in a part time job and we had a good visit. They want me to come back in the spring and work 2 or 3 days a week. I told him I would.

Had a wellness check today at Dr. Unfortunately, have to start blood pressure medication. Had a Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine for the first time. Shoulder is sore, more so than when I got a flu shot.

Had my shingles shot yesterday, at the cost of $213.00 Canadian. (May be shutting the proverbial barn door, but if it helps prevent another attack then I'm more than happy.)

Had my shingles shot yesterday, at the cost of $213.00 Canadian. (May be shutting the proverbial barn door, but if it helps prevent another attack then I'm more than happy.)
Must be the Ontario surcharge? Ours were $199 each in BC.

Why they are not covered is a mystery to me. So much benefit at so little costs.

Pick up friends at the airport, take them to Costco for initial stock-up then to their condo on the beach.

Must be the Ontario surcharge? Ours were $199 each in BC.
Got to pay for all the harebrained government schemes, I guess.

Why they are not covered is a mystery to me. So much benefit at so little costs.

They've recently made it no-charge for those between 65-70; DW is too young, and I'm too old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom