What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to compete against that woodworking thread, ya know? People cannot see the elegant firmware that I wrote, nor the clever hardware design that I spent days devising. All they see is the photo of my solder work, and I have my reputation to protect. :)

You can post this kind of thing:
EpxYXrP.png

Are we turning this Web site into another GitHub? :)

Bitheads

It's nice to see some other hardware and software folks out there ;)

I started an android studio tutorial on java(script) and the studio, recently. My long term goal is to be able to stream music to my hearing aids on an android device like you can on those proprietary Apple products. The BLE SIG might get there before I do but I will have fun along the way!

Wonderful day today. DW had her second cataract surgery yesterday and the followup today went incredibly well.

She has always had severe astigmatism and as a result her depth perception has always been poor. Also nearsighted so she has worn glasses since third grade.

She took a chance and had the first eye fixed for distance and the second for near vision. I was particularly worried about that, since not everyone adapts well to it.

The result has been mind-bogglingly good. Not only does she now have completely normal depth perception, but also 20-15 vision (that's better than 20-20) and sees well at all distances. Truly stunning outcome!

Both her eyes required toric lenses because of the astigmatism, and they cost $1,600 each (out of pocket) but I've never considered any money better spent.

She is practically giddy with her new eyeballs and it's such a delight to watch.

She had the same surgeon I did five years ago, based on my glowing recommendation. I had often heard from other doctors that Cincinnati Eye Institute was renowned for hiring only the very best doctors, and that has been my experience with both of us as well as my late mother and two friends.

Also nearsighted so she has worn glasses since third grade.

She took a chance and had the first eye fixed for distance and the second for near vision.

DW, who previously had to put on her glasses in order to read the bedside clock, had the same thing done, ~ 12 years ago, and is still happy with the results....very happy.

Wonderful day today. DW had her second cataract surgery yesterday and the followup today went incredibly well.

She took a chance and had the first eye fixed for distance and the second for near vision. I was particularly worried about that, since not everyone adapts well to it.

I also opted for one eye distance and one eye near and I am so happy .It has been 12 years and zero problems.I do keep a pair of cheaters for when I am doing a lot of reading but I do not really need them.

Today I finally feel ready to get back into the world . I have been sick sick for three weeks and my home has been my nest but it is time to leave and rejoin life .Between food delivery , amazon, a kindle and a great SO I can see how people become agoraphobics. It is too easy to just nest .

I do keep a pair of cheaters for when I am doing a lot of reading but I do not really need them.

DW now uses them when reading - the aging process undermines the surgery - but still waaaay better than she used to be.

I also elected to go with mono vision and love it. I've been able to toss aside my glasses, however, I do have a pair of prescription distance sunglasses and regular glasses to provide crisper driving vision.

It's nice to see some other hardware and software folks out there ;)

I started an android studio tutorial on java(script) and the studio, recently. My long term goal is to be able to stream music to my hearing aids on an android device like you can on those proprietary Apple products. The BLE SIG might get there before I do but I will have fun along the way!

I just got an Apple-integrated set last Nov. Phone calls automatically default to them, and so do apps that produce sound. The car bluetooth does not, which is what I wanted - some things to strive for in your app. If you already have your aids I guess you can't do much about their bluetooth range but mine, if I put the phone in a central place, can get sound from the phone anywhere I am in the house.

Nah, we'll think you got fried by the 480 VDC coming out those solar panels.

I installed my Arlo 4 camera surveillance system today. I can see all around the outside of the house from my office - :)

This is awesome when one is away on vacation. Getting mailed a video when the sensor triggers is peace of mind for sure.

Is the house burned down? is the basement flooded? Who came to the door, who was in the drive?

No longer so many questions.

Well today I purchased a map of the world and hundreds of map-pins. I took the opportunity to mount and frame the map and use the pins to locate the places I have visited throughout my life. What an undertaking. I have worked and or visited 53 countries and 37 States in my life.

Oh, I used red pins to lay out future places that we want to visit.

I

How extensively do you have to test it before you know it is ready for the trip?

Perhaps just a few cycles of charge/discharge to be sure that my homebrew BMS will protect the batteries from damage. This I can do inside the home on the bench.

The installation inside the RV will take some time to figure out. The factory battery tray accommodates 2 lead-acid batteries, but this lithium battery is larger despite being lighter. So, I have to mount 2 of the batteries elsewhere.

Some calibration will be needed. For example, to measure current, one would use a known shunt resistor and measure the voltage drop across it. My BMS uses the battery wiring itself as the shunt. That has to be calibrated after installation.

We saw amorous amphibians for Valentine's Day. It is newt breeding season at Tilden Park in Berkeley near the golf course. We went for a nature walk with a naturalist to see the newts in a stream followed by happy hour at the club house.

Well today I purchased a map of the world and hundreds of map-pins. I took the opportunity to mount and frame the map and use the pins to locate the places I have visited throughout my life. What an undertaking. I have worked and or visited 53 countries and 37 States in my life.

Oh, I used red pins to lay out future places that we want to visit.

I

Excellent! I did a similar thing a few months ago - but only US. Bought the map, had it mounted on foam board, made a map frame, and drew on our road trips with a sharpie marker. It’s a great visual to see what we’ve missed and to plan future excursions.

Closed on a new house today. Kind of anti climactic. In past closings, it was a big deal with a lot of somber people sitting around in a room signing documents and reams of paper being handed out. Since we paid cash, it was done on line with Docu-sign. Click, click, click. Congratulations, you are a new home owner.

Closed on a new house today. Kind of anti climactic. In past closings, it was a big deal with a lot of somber people sitting around in a room signing documents and reams of paper being handed out. Since we paid cash, it was done on line with Docu-sign. Click, click, click. Congratulations, you are a new home owner.
Congrats! Hope you enjoy the new-to-you house.

I've been driving down to visit DM most days for the past 3 weeks. She lives in an ALF and caught pneumonia. That's an advantage of assisted living, the vigilance, in-house nursing and regular visiting physicians give her much better medical attention than she ever would see if she lived home alone. DW made soup that I brought most days and made sure she ate.

It's 45 minutes each way, so between all those trips and visiting DD this past weekend (3 hours each way) I'm all caught up on my podcasts. :)

Did you buy in Vancouver, WA? ER open house soon?

Congratulations. Enjoy the new home!

Congratulations!!!! This is so exciting, even if the closing was expedited and anti-climactic.

OK, your first task now that you have closed on your new house: Get internet service working there! Then you can keep us posted on your progress as you move and settle into your new home. :D I am getting so much vicarious joy from all of this.

I've been driving down to visit DM most days for the past 3 weeks. She lives in an ALF and caught pneumonia. That's an advantage of assisted living, the vigilance, in-house nursing and regular visiting physicians give her much better medical attention than she ever would see if she lived home alone. DW made soup that I brought most days and made sure she ate.

It's 45 minutes each way, so between all those trips and visiting DD this past weekend (3 hours each way) I'm all caught up on my podcasts. :)

Sorry to read that your mother has pneumonia! I agree, what a relief to know that she is being cared for and watched over in assisted living. Hope she recovers soon.

I listen to podcasts about three hours every day and absolutely love them. But in my case, instead of driving while I listen, I do iPad jigsaw puzzles, play computer solitaire, and that kind of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom