What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today DW and I went to a retirement cake & punch celebration ( mine).

Tomorrow is a dinner party retirement celebration with close co-worker friends.

Amazing the memories that friends have shared, hard to hold the tears back

I hope not! But my teeth have always been bad so take heart. When I was a kid, most people with teeth as bad as mine ended up toothless by the time they reached my present age. All I can say is thank goodness for dental implants and modern dentistry in general.

My dentist does root canals in probably 1/2 hour or so, and they are completely pain free. Last time he even did the type where they go in through your crown so that you don't need a new crown. This is easier to go through than getting a cavity filled.

My first root canal was in 1968, and wow, what a difference! They were awful to endure, back then, and took weeks and weeks to complete.

Yes. My first root canal was about 1965. Many sessions in the dental chair for many hours a session. My problem tooth at the time was caused when I was throwing a croquet ball in the air and missed the catch when I was about 8. The root canal was done when I was about 15.

Had my dentist start the process of moving toward getting my two implants now that the drilling, post insertion, stitches and gum healing is over. That took three months and $4600.

I assume the two new teeth will be another $3 K. I'm going to have a $50 K mouth when all this is over (this summer).:(

Well, at least I am not spending all the cash on DD's upcoming wedding! :D

Today DW and I went to a retirement cake & punch celebration ( mine).
Tomorrow is a dinner party retirement celebration with close co-worker friends.
Amazing the memories that friends have shared, hard to hold the tears back

Congratulations ....:dance:

Had my dentist start the process of moving toward getting my two implants now that the drilling, post insertion, stitches and gum healing is over. That took three months and $4600.

I assume the two new teeth will be another $3 K. I'm going to have a $50 K mouth when all this is over (this summer).:(

Well, at least I am not spending all the cash on DD's upcoming wedding! :D

I think that getting one's teeth fixed is a great way to "blow that dough". As long as you are blowing dough you might as well blow some of it on yourself as well as on your daughter's wedding. Besides your smiles in the wedding photos will look great.

So far my implants have been trouble free and functional, well worth the cost IMO.

Went to my dentist today for a temporary crown over my newly root-canalled tooth. The endodontist tried to save the crown that had been there, unfortunately it didn't survive the process.

Made the dentist's and assistant"s day, and mine. They had to be very creative to get the mold done properly. At one time there were three people with their hands in my mouth. Little tender from the process, couple of Advil probably is a great idea.

Ran into some folks, who lived in the small town in MO. we used to, we met last fall. They built their retirement home out here and didn't know when he was retiring. At that time he thought he'd be working a couple more years. He's now a recent graduate from the workforce.

Last edited:
We watched the excellent film, “The Madness of King George.” One line that might appeal to the crowd here:

“It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.”

[emoji4]

Did some hiking we still have a lot of snow but still not bad for a hike. I totaled 4.3 miles and 45 floors so it was a good walk.

I just spent two hours at a local furniture store trying out all of their pillows in anticipation of receiving our new Temperpedic mattress next week. Part of the incentive of buying it via JC Penney was to take advantage of a $300 gift card offered in conjunction with the purchase.

I think that I tried all pillows from Teperpedic and the one I like best costs $149 for 1 pillow. It's extra long though and keeps my head cool. Nothing wrong with a cool head when sleeping.

Dang, I get mine at Kmart!

Just finished brunch with dtr & grandson (home from SFSU)

Going to hike at Round Valley with dtr, granddtr, grandson (& his new puppy). Figure an hour is all the 4 yr old will do

Meeting with a contractor about a gut remodel of our main bathroom this summer. It’s been 39 years.... Goodbye giant toilet tank!

50 degrees out so we put the onion plants out in our raised garden bed today before the winter storm coming in tonight!

I just spent two hours at a local furniture store trying out all of their pillows in anticipation of receiving our new Temperpedic mattress next week. Part of the incentive of buying it via JC Penney was to take advantage of a $300 gift card offered in conjunction with the purchase.

I think that I tried all pillows from Teperpedic and the one I like best costs $149 for 1 pillow. It's extra long though and keeps my head cool. Nothing wrong with a cool head when sleeping.

You might also try some of the other mattress stores such as Sleep Number. I got my pillow there and love it. It's the most comfortable one ever. At $169, it better be.

Reallocating some gold holdings, just dropped off $52k in gold at the post office

You might also try some of the other mattress stores such as Sleep Number. I got my pillow there and love it. It's the most comfortable one ever. At $169, it better be.

:eek::eek::eek:

Maybe 97guns should invest in pillow companies?

Or maybe the pillow comments belong in the "Blow that Doe!" thread?

I'm happy with my Walmart pillows too.

I think that I tried all pillows from Teperpedic and the one I like best costs $149 for 1 pillow.

Is this what is meant by the term "allowing money to go to your head?" :)

Going to hike at Round Valley with dtr, granddtr, grandson (& his new puppy). Figure an hour is all the 4 yr old will do
she made it thru 4.3 miles although the last mile was difficult. Puppy loved it and stuck to our side. But need to find a new hiking site as it clearly states "no dogs" :(

:eek::eek::eek:

Maybe 97guns should invest in pillow companies?

Or maybe the pillow comments belong in the "Blow that Doe!" thread?

I'm happy with my Walmart pillows too.
Well you know, there actually are pillows between Walmart's cheapest and Travelbug's $169 pillow. :D

I have had the cheapest pillows Walmart would sell me, for my whole life. At some time during retirement, I bought enough extras to have 5 on my bed. I would squash and squish them around until they formed a single mass like a rather low mountain and that was my pillow.

Then a year ago, on a whim, I bought this pillow from Amazon. WOW!! It is fabulous. It was on sale at Christmas for $35 or so, so I bought a second one.

Last edited:
Y'all have pillows? We just use a piece of 2x4.

Finally, finally got moved into our new house in the PNW after trials and tribulations of selling our old house, moving cross country, finding a rental that would accept our dog and lastly, finding a house to buy in an area we liked, then scraping together the cash to buy it outright. Then, waiting almost two months for the previous owner to move out. Today was a last hurdle getting (a promise for) our rental deposit back, though we broke the rental lease a few months early.

I learned something today that is probably obvious to the EEs here. The house has cable outlets all over the place. The Comcast rep told me I could just plug my internet modem into any of them and it would work. Wrong - what I later learned is that only one outlet is activated at a time, so I had to hook up the modem to one outlet after another until I found one that was connected. Then I had to call Comcast to have it actually activated.

Y'all have pillows? We just use a piece of 2x4.
You have a 2x4? Well, maybe not as good as my new pillows, but I'd bet that it feels a whole lot better than pillow lava.
Finally, finally got moved into our new house in the PNW after trials and tribulations of selling our old house, moving cross country, finding a rental that would accept our dog and lastly, finding a house to buy in an area we liked, then scraping together the cash to buy it outright. [...]

Congratulations on moving into your new house!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom