What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
DW and me are travelling to a different part of the UK today to visit her brother who is seriously ill in hospital with cancer.

Just reinforces that our time is limited and firms up our decision to retire next month, still healthy and with “enough” to live a little.

PD

You might also try some of the other mattress stores such as Sleep Number. I got my pillow there and love it. It's the most comfortable one ever. At $169, it better be.

It actually took us 8 weeks to try virtually every mattress available in our area. We did try the Sleep Number but I couldn't understand why I wanted to sleep on a different setting every night. Their salesman couldn't answer that for me either.

Long Story short - we liked the Temperpedic Cloud a lot and went into a JC Penney after dinner one night. The salesperson made a big deal about ALL mattresses being on sale. She didn't look at the fine print and didn't realize Temperpedics were excluded. Anyway, once we discovered that they were going to honor the price, we upgraded to a $4,099 for the price of $2,099 + it came with a $300 gift card, + $60 in JCP points.

Anyway, I have my half of a $300 gift card to use and thought that I'd use it to get a matching pillow. BTW - wifey wouldn't let me cash in the gift card for $228 at one of those cash for gift card websites.

It actually took us 8 weeks to try virtually every mattress available in our area. We did try the Sleep Number but I couldn't understand why I wanted to sleep on a different setting every night. Their salesman couldn't answer that for me either.

I'm missing something! The main reason we got it was that DH still prefers a firm mattress, but I had to have something softer. He's a 45 and I'm a 25...no changing it every night.

Wow...you got a fabulous deal. Love it when stuff like that happens. Markup is obscene with mattresses.

I'm missing something! The main reason we got it was that DH still prefers a firm mattress, but I had to have something softer. He's a 45 and I'm a 25...no changing it every night.

Wow...you got a fabulous deal. Love it when stuff like that happens. Markup is obscene with mattresses.

Thanks..but now it gets better.

Wifey and I walked around local mall and stopped in a Sears store - so to speak, just for kicks. Anyway they had ONE floor model of the Teprupedic Cloud Breeze cooling pillow pillow. The salesman said it was marked down from $199 to $29.99.
Anyway, it came with a pillow cover, so I bought it. Now, I only need to find one other for a match or let wifey pick her own pillow (which she has one already.)

Btw - never thought about two people needing a different mattress - so I guess I understand this better now.

I'm so glad that this process is done.

Meeting with a contractor about a gut remodel of our main bathroom this summer. It’s been 39 years.... Goodbye giant toilet tank!
The Europeans have this type of "in-wall toilet tank" that is very common. It has to be extremely reliable, compared to the junk hardware that we use in the US. Not easy to retrofit into a US bathroom.

img-bath-g-omega-covered-service-opening-16-9.jpg

The Europeans have this type of "in-wall toilet tank" that is very common. It has to be extremely reliable, compared to the junk hardware that we use in the US.

img-bath-g-omega-covered-service-opening-16-9.jpg

Yeah, but when this thing cr@ps out, it may be harder to fix given that the plumbing is behind a wall.

Yeah, but when this thing cr@ps out, it may be harder to fix given that the plumbing is behind a wall.
I have often thought the same thing when I see them in Europe. Over the years, I've replaced the flapper valves and the filler valves in our toilet tanks many times. I wouldn't want one where I couldn't get to the tank.

That's why I think they have to be extremely durable. European plumbers are not cheap.

Today I cleaned out the raised bed behind the garage and planted peas and lettuce. The peas should be ready for Memorial Day. I also went out to lunch with the young wife. At the restaurant, a family came in to eat at the table next to us. They had twin newborns who were soundly sleeping in their super fancy mobile baby support vehicle. We spent a good portion of lunch just enjoying the sight of them. On the drive home we discussed how different the world was when we were their age, and how amazingly different it may be when they are ours.

Fishing in the pouring rain today, in my drypants and drytop and Seattle sombrero.

As they say, there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing. I was 100% dry and comfortable (58 degrees).

PHAdNOP.jpg
Sorry. I'm a couple of days late to this -- but is that a whistle and a pair of forceps attached to your vest?

Sorry. I'm a couple of days late to this -- but is that a whistle and a pair of forceps attached to your vest?

Don't wanna pull out fish hooks with your fingers I guess?

DW and me are travelling to a different part of the UK today to visit her brother who is seriously ill in hospital with cancer.

Just reinforces that our time is limited and firms up our decision to retire next month, still healthy and with “enough” to live a little.

PD

Sorry to hear about your brother in law. I agree on retiring with "enough". We try to make the most of each day while we are both healthy and mobile. We see many of our older neighbors and people from the seniors clubs who aren't able to get around much any more so it is always a good reminder to us to seize the day while we can.

Though today our only outing was to the grocery store and the rest of the day was a catch up day at home. Seizing the day is great some day but then we still have to finish taxes and do laundry.

Last edited:
Finally, finally got moved into our new house in the PNW after trials and tribulations of selling our old house, moving cross country, finding a rental that would accept our dog and lastly, finding a house to buy in an area we liked, then scraping together the cash to buy it outright. Then, waiting almost two months for the previous owner to move out. Today was a last hurdle getting (a promise for) our rental deposit back, though we broke the rental lease a few months early.

Congratulation on the new house!

Celebrated my birthday a day early with dinner at our favorite restaurant - Mama’s Fish House in Maui. One year closer to retirement!:dance:

Today I cleaned out the raised bed behind the garage and planted peas and lettuce. The peas should be ready for Memorial Day. I also went out to lunch with the young wife. At the restaurant, a family came in to eat at the table next to us. They had twin newborns who were soundly sleeping in their super fancy mobile baby support vehicle. We spent a good portion of lunch just enjoying the sight of them. On the drive home we discussed how different the world was when we were their age, and how amazingly different it may be when they are ours.

That sounds like a perfect day.

Went to the funeral for a former colleague on Saturday – she passed away far too young (39) leaving behind her husband and two young children (11 and 6). Both her and her husband had been my trainees early in their respective careers - wishing I could do more than just express my condolences.

Smelled orange and lemon blossoms while planting sweet corn, cucumbers , squash, bell peppers. Picked strawberries. Mulched the tomatoes.

I took a class in sourdough bread yesterday at the local rec center. I already knew almost as much as the instructor but it was fun and we each took home a loaf of fresh bread and a sourdough starter. It was nice to meet people with similar interest in cooking, although I got the “but you’re too young to be retired!” response.

Enjoy it while it lasts. At some point you'll begin scratching your head wondering why you don't get that reaction any more. :LOL:

And then...people you haven't seen for a while will exclaim "Geez, are you still alive?"

Enjoy it while it lasts. At some point you'll begin scratching your head wondering why you don't get that reaction any more. :LOL:

Yeah. I can remember (barely) when I felt a little anxious about being the youngest person in my work organization, until I realized I should savor that while I could.

My answer to the "too young to be retired" reaction was a huge grin and the statement, "No I'm not!"

After 16 years, the new people I meet interpret my peaceful easy smile and never ask about w*rk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom