What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Retirement anniversary number five today!

Had an insurance adjuster over to look at my truck. Despite all the photos the dealership took they sent someone out. Originally I was going to pay for the parking lot hit/run on my truck's bumper. After the estimate I'll file a claim. Wow.

Because of the weather we took our two dogs downtown to walk. Used the excuse they always enjoy any additional social contact. We put the dogs in their crates and drove 10 miles to the riverwalk. Then I realized I failed to pack their leashes! :mad: We turned around and went hom and walked our normal circle. Dog's didn't care.

Tried a case in court.

Finally dried out around here so I can do some work outside on the yard at new house. Past 4 days I have dug out around 6 cu yards of crappy heavy clay dirt and rocks from the landscape planter areas with help of my tractor with front end loader to dig and haul, but still a lot of hand shovel work; went and picked up 2 cu yards of topsoil and unloaded that (shovel by hand) to fill one planting area out of four, and added around 15 additional compost/top soil/garden soil mix bags to that same one area. Three areas yet to be filled back in with good dirt mix.

Then on the grass side I mowed 1.5 acres of grass, rototilled about 1/4 acre of area to put grass seed out. After all the physical work each day drank 2-4 well deserved beers each night! I also ordered 10 cu yards of topsoil to be delivered, to help fill in the three planting areas. Hopefully that 10 yards of topsoil will be here tomorrow and I can work on filling the remaining planting areas. I'll sow the grass seed and rake it in tomorrow on that rototilled area. Supposed to get rain Fri, so want to get all of this outside work done before it turns to mud again. I'll be in physical therapy recovery by end of the week, LOL.

The builder of the house supplies some landscaping, and we can pick out types of plants. I want to ensure good dirt so stuff will grow, so that is the reason for the hard work digging out and refilling. Plus I have made additional planting areas to put more plants out, beyond the builder minimum supplied.

The 6 yards of old crappy dirt is just piled in the yard, it will be spread out and used once final grading is done. I have around 1 acre of area to be final graded and then sow grass seed.

Rehearsal dinner on Saturday, DD’s wedding on Sunday, lunch with family here from the left coast on Monday, drive home with a couple of the relatives. Airport run today, relative exchange (two leave, two arrive). We will entertain them tomorrow before they fly home on Thursday.

Everything went well this weekend. Bride and groom are very happy, the food was tasty, the alcohol flowed responsibly, and the dance floor was busy.

Spent a beautiful morning wandering around Arlington National Cemetery. Humbled to visit the resting places of such impressive individuals who had such impact: George C. Marshall, Omar Bradley, Hap Arnold, Claire Chennault, Matthew Ridgway, Hyman Rickover, and Audie Murphy. The Kennedy brothers. Heroes from my childhood: Gus Grissom, Roger Chaffee, John Glenn, and Pete Conrad. And of course paying respects to all of those who served in the name of freedom.

Then walked to the Lincoln Memorial, Korea and WWII memorials before finishing at the Holocaust Museum. A full day.

Loaded donated food for delivery to the local food pantry this morning. Played cards with friends for most of the evening. Less than a year in and enjoying this ER thing. Grateful.

Found a geocache for the 99th day in a row. Tomorrow is our milestone #100! After that, the streak ends!

Pretended to do some gardening.
My skills at that are akin to brain surgery, I know it can be done.
Late wife was really good at it and liked to putter outside.

Turns out a young lady friend and her boyfriend volunteered to come around and get things under way. I might learn some from them.

Caught up with episodes of Southpark on Comedy Central. We haven't laughed so hard in the a long time. Still one of the best shows on TV.

Wasted 3 hours of my life and about $20 in gas. :mad:

I need a backup generator and saw what appeared to be a good deal on Craigslist. I drove 40 miles to a little town where I knew a goodhearted person would sell my his loved, but almost new generator.

What I found was a guy bend over a generator next to a house trailer, desperately trying to fix a leaking carburetor. Once I got there he stuck the air cleaner back on and got it to start briefly. Having worked a a small engine mechanic, I helped him get it running only to find it put out no electricity - none. To his credit, he offered me some gas money as I retreated, which I refused.

I've gotten some great deals on Craigslist, but this sure wasn't my day.

We took the train into San Francisco to see the touring production of The Color Purple. The acting and singing were amazing, though the set was a bit minimalist for me - mostly just chairs and baskets. The playbill called the set design intentionally minimalistic, though interestingly "intentionally minimalistic" also would seem to be a lot cheaper to produce than a play with a big, splashy set.

Our first week retired! We’re on a trip to England, from our home in Scotland. First stop is London, where we went to see the Book of Mormon in the west end. Brilliant!

Our first week retired! We’re on a trip to England, from our home in Scotland. First stop is London, where we went to see the Book of Mormon in the west end. Brilliant!

Congratulations on a grand beginning!

We saw the same show in the same place in October 2016. Haven't laughed so much in years.

A very early AM (for me anyway) Dr. appt. at 9:30, then on to get a haircut, 90-minute workout at the gym (DW left me again, this time for the grandnieces, back tomorrow) and a minor grocery run on the way home.

Then lunch, take a nap, wake up to find a new R/C model airplane box waiting on the front porch! Not exactly blowing that dough but loosening up the purse strings a bit.

Went to the doc to schedule a physical, then went back to get the physical, then went to the lab where they took some of my blood and other fluids.

Walk dog @ 7:00 am,

Coffee with ROMEO's 8:00 - 9:30,

Take DW to cardiologist for check up on new heart valve.

This afternoon - rework rear yard flower beds and fertilize shrubs.

I'm done....:cool:

Yesterday, but first chance to post. Made the trip from hell back from SWFL to MD. Got 3 hours in (Plant City), and stopped for food and to walk the pups. Then we couldn't get the power side door to close. Tried everything, and wasn't able to find anything online on my smart phone. Called the local Honda dealer, they said we'd have to have the car towed in so they could work on it. Drove the car (side door open) to the only pet friendly hotel we could find nearby. DW called a different Honda dealer, and the guy was able to EASILY! walk me through overriding the auto door control. I'm definitely giving that dealership a positive review and the other one a bad one.

Since we were already checked in, we thought we'd spend the night and get started early. But the hotel was such a dump that I wouldn't even take a shower in it. We laid our own blankets down, took a nap until 8 pm, then left and drove 17 hours back to MD. The positive was that there's no traffic in the middle of the night. But we were both beat when we got home. The temperature here in MD has jumped up into the mid-high 80s, so of course our AC doesn't appear to be working.

Not my best migration.

Yesterday, but first chance to post. Made the trip from hell back from SWFL to MD. Got 3 hours in (Plant City), and stopped for food and to walk the pups. Then we couldn't get the power side door to close. Tried everything, and wasn't able to find anything online on my smart phone. Called the local Honda dealer, they said we'd have to have the car towed in so they could work on it. Drove the car (side door open) to the only pet friendly hotel we could find nearby. DW called a different Honda dealer, and the guy was able to EASILY! walk me through overriding the auto door control. I'm definitely giving that dealership a positive review and the other one a bad one.

Since we were already checked in, we thought we'd spend the night and get started early. But the hotel was such a dump that I wouldn't even take a shower in it. We laid our own blankets down, took a nap until 8 pm, then left and drove 17 hours back to MD. The positive was that there's no traffic in the middle of the night. But we were both beat when we got home. The temperature here in MD has jumped up into the mid-high 80s, so of course our AC doesn't appear to be working.

Not my best migration.

Harley, you need a better rabbits foot. :D

Harley, you need a better rabbits foot. :D

Or a new copilot/researcher. While I was trying to look on the web, I asked DW to check the manual. She told me to try a few things, but that it didn't say a word about a manual override. Just out of curiosity I just double checked, and there it was in black and white. It could have saved us about 6 hours and ~$100 if we'd seen that right away. She was pretty upset while it was all happening, and I've been around for awhile, so I think I won't point this out to her for a month or so. It's better to be happy than right. And she has a far greater amount of "you screwed up" ammunition than I do.

My satellite internet died in a strong rain storm yesterday evening. I spent a "fun" day trying to get the internet to work. Nothing helped. Spent about 3 hours scheduling an appointment with a technician on Monday. Well, it decided to start working a bit ago. Tomorrow I will have to cancel the appointment. The technician will not do anything if it is working. It will probably break again the next time we get a good rain.

Baked my graphics card! No kidding. About 2 years ago my 2009 iMac started to display weird artifacts. I figured the graphics card was going kaput so I boxed it up and built a super-duper windows PC. Just so happens I'm recently watching some youtube videos and come across a guy with a similar problem on his iMac. I watch a 30 minute video where he disassembles the iMac, takes out the graphics card and bakes it at 400 degrees for 8 minutes....and abracadabra, presto it works again. So I say, what the heck, what have I got to lose? Thirty minutes later I have a good-as-new 27" i7 iMac.

Baked my graphics card! No kidding. About 2 years ago my 2009 iMac started to display weird artifacts.

Not as crazy as it sounds. I think it's just enough heat to remelt the solder to reconnect some doohickey that is loose. So clever. I had a similar problem with an old MacBook Pro and was delighted to find out it was part of an Apple recall. Brought it in for repair 1 day before the recall ended. Two days later I had a new/old functioning MacBook.

Got a short walk in with the pup before our much-needed thunderstorm arrived. It's been raining now for 4 hours, some of it heavy. Thankful that we got this before drought got really severe.

Tackled two projects for DH that required me to use my sewing machine for the first time in several years (not a typo). Got it all set up and then couldn't find my sewing supplies box with all my thread in it. Aargh. After looking in dozens of places throughout the house, found it right where it should have been, just hidden under some other stuff :facepalm::facepalm:

Continue the declutter and threw out two years of paper receipts and other junk. Got the tires rotated on the Santa Fe.

This could be either under this topic, or Blow the Dough!:) Today was the day I got to fly a P-51 Mustang
The story is below

Attachments

• IMG_6351.jpg
    IMG_6351.jpg
    467.2 KB · Views: 43
  • P-51 flight.pdf
    164.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back