What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was time to renew my driver license which I could have done by mail, but I wanted to get the new "real ID" version so's I would not have to carry my passport to fly domestic.

Made the appointment at DMV for today and took in my 3 needed types of ID, my appt slip and the renewal notice. All went well and I again passed the vision test w/o my glasses. I am good to go.

Regarding appointments, just do it. There was nobody in the appt line when I got there and the other line was out the door, around the building and into the parking lot. I heard the check in lady advise the guy she checked in that the wait from then would be 2 hours. You know in addition to the hour he spent in the check in line already. I was in and out in 45 minutes including the 15 minutes I had to wait after check in.
15 minutes is not bad!! I gotta tell you, though, here there is a way around even the 15 minute wait if you are in the mood to Blow that Dough. A few years back Louisiana finally decided to allow private companies to offer DMV type services, and they do, but charge more than the DMV (called OMV here). I think they charge an extra $16? Or something like that, for a driver's license renewal. But wow, it is sure worth the money.

At the OMV, you wait for 5-6 hours standing in line (sometimes outside in the oppressive heat) with hundreds of miserable, angry, hot people who cannot afford the fee to get this done elsewhere. Been there, done that, never again. It's a nightmare that makes the unemployment office seem quite upscale, for example.

We have one of those private offices about three blocks from us with lots of easy, close up parking. Being a rich person who can afford the $16 fee, you then sashay inside where you are in a nicely air conditioned, peaceful space with no crowds at all. Sometimes you get seen right away, or else you get to sit in a nice, padded, comfortable chair for 5 minutes with a free cup of coffee and magazines to read. The employees call you "Sir" or "Ma'am" and use words like "Please" and "Thank you" liberally.

It's a great way to Blow that Dough! :D

Last edited:
You cannot rent a car if;

You have no valid driver license
You are less than 21 years of age
You don't have a credit card

I think there are ways around the CC like a cash bond, but it' ain't easy.
But no job required.

She was very young, perhaps a new employee, that wanted to look good. I don't know where they find people to dress in business attire and work for X bucks an hour. I guess I do, it's tough for people who work for a living in this area.

I felt bad for the young woman she told me that she'd wracked up a bunch CC debt while still in college and was trying to figure out how to manage her own money. Pointed her to a couple of places to read more.

Is power loss that frequent in your area?

Here, I recall the couple of times we lost power over the decades, and it was for an hour or two. It was mostly due to equipment failure at a substation.

Up in the high-country home, power loss was more frequent like once a year when we were not there, as evidenced by the clock on the stove flashing. It was usually caused by brief periods of power shutdown to allow new homes in the area getting hooked up to the grid.
I just moved here, so I don't have a good read on it, but with a well I'm totally hosed if the power goes out for a couple of days. So, I'd feel better if I had a Plan B, even if I don't wear it out. The beauty of natural gas is I don't have to keep lots of fuel on hand and it is not getting old in the carburetor between uses.

In Texas you can renew your plates at a grocery store customer service kiosk. For more that that (DL renewal, car titling), you have to go to a DPS office. The state has built lots of new ones and waits are minimal and indoors.

Here there is a way around even the 15 minute wait, if you are in the mood to Blow that Dough. A few years back Louisiana finally decided to allow private companies to offer DMV type services, and they do, but charge more than the DMV (called OMV here). I think they charge an extra $16? Or something like that, for a driver's license renewal. But wow, it is sure worth the money.

Cool! Louisiana has it's governmental quirks but that's an idea that other states (are you listening, West Virginia and Maryland?) would do well to copy. MD especially was horrible for long waits at the MVA, I'm glad we moved almost for that reason. WV is lots better, but there is plenty of room for improvement.

Cool! Louisiana has it's governmental quirks but that's an idea that other states (are you listening, West Virginia and Maryland?) would do well to copy. MD especially was horrible for long waits at the MVA, I'm glad we moved almost for that reason. WV is lots better, but there is plenty of room for improvement.

I agree! Louisiana did this one thing right (for once). It was especially wonderful ASAP after my cataract surgeries, when I still felt fragile, easily tired, and not inclined to stand in a 5 hour line to get the glasses requirement removed from my DL. I haven't been to the OMV for many years, sometime back when I was working, maybe 10-12 years ago. It may have improved but I'm never going to go there again to find out.

Last edited:
Gym day and then late lunch at Ruby Tuesday's (DW's choice) with a $5 off coupon. We've found that between 2 and 3 PM is an ideal time since we usually have the place pretty much to ourselves and the undivided attention of the waiter/waitress.

DW told me that during her last babysitting session she found that the 8-year-old grandniece now has a pet hamster and they have a clear plastic ball that the hamster can roll around the house in.

That gave me an some ideas and later I sent an E-mail to the nephew:

At lunch today (DW) told me about (grandniece #2) having a hamster, and the clear plastic ball that he/she/it goes in and then wanders around the house. Cool! Has the ball gone down the stairs yet? I bet that rings the hamster’s bell pretty good! How about rolling down the hill on the driveway or the back yard? Talk about a dizzy spell! Boy, I bet it gets messy inside the ball after a while too….

Say, I have a couple of R/C airplanes that I bet the hamster ball would fit inside. Wonder how the hamster would react to inverted flat spins….

Don’t mind me, I just have an evil mind.

Walt34

We had the ability to do driver's licenses at the AAA if you are a member. It was far better than going to the DMV. Then the State insisted that AAA process anyone, whether they were a member or not. AAA said they would do non-members, but they would have to pay a service fee. The State said no to that. So now nobody can do their driver's license through AAA. Well done, State of Connecticut.

I was very surprised when I moved from Ohio (horrible DMV operation) to Kentucky. Here we have to go to a county clerk's office for vehicle related stuff and a different county clerk's office for driver's license related stuff.

Both those places are great. I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes at either one, and the people are always friendly and helpful.

Went to see my PCP after being refered to urology. Originally she was against supplementing my T, after urology said it was very low she couldn't say much. I'm significantly better after starting T replacement. Didn't know it fixed anxiety.

My only issue now is dizzy. Urology took me off tamulosen, because of dizzy, but I'm still dizzy. I didn't bring my machine in, but I told her my BP was running 100/60 every afternoon, she suggested cutting the dose in half. As I stood to leave I almost fell over, this may help.

ETA: Received a brand new Mighty from Storz and Bickle today. Replacing a two year old one with no receipts proving purchase.

Shout out to a company that stands behind their products.

Last edited:
Planted some flowers, took my truck to get leaking shock replaced, went biking, kayaking. Thinking about cleaning my workshop.

Went to see my PCP after being refered to urology. Originally she was against supplementing my T, after urology said it was very low she couldn't say much. I'm significantly better after starting T replacement. Didn't know it fixed anxiety.

My only issue now is dizzy. Urology took me off tamulosen, because of dizzy, but I'm still dizzy. I didn't bring my machine in, but I told her my BP was running 100/60 every afternoon, she suggested cutting the dose in half. As I stood to leave I almost fell over, this may help.

T as in testosterone? :confused:

What is the replacement for Tamulosin, if anything (if you care to say)? I am on the same with no side effects.

T as in testosterone? :confused:

What is the replacement for Tamulosin, if anything (if you care to say)? I am on the same with no side effects.
T as in testosterone. I feel human again. Apparently my PCP didn't look at all the numbers.

The replacement for tamulosin was the good old fashioned OTC supplements like saw palmetto and nettle root! The urologist told me they won't make you dizzy and some guys find them as effective as prescription(surprised me). Honestly, at least for a couple of weeks they work better.

I see him again in a couple of months for a checkup and a "flow test", whatever that means.

T as in testosterone. I feel human again. Apparently my PCP didn't look at all the numbers.

The replacement for tamulosin was the good old fashioned OTC supplements like saw palmetto and nettle root! The urologist told me they won't make you dizzy and some guys find them as effective as prescription(surprised me). Honestly, at least for a couple of weeks they work better.

I see him again in a couple of months for a checkup and a "flow test", whatever that means.

Thanks. My annual physical is next week and I am going to mention T level, which I believe is low.

First range day of the year. It was sunny without too much wind, and I was shooting well. I even enjoyed cleaning my firearms afterward. Is it weird to enjoy the smell of Hoppes #9?

Left the studio in Sibiu around 02:30 a.m., walked to the train station in order to catch the 03:38 a.m. train to Timisoara, a 6 3/4 hour ride.

Train was virtually empty, left on time and arrived on time.

Uneventful. We were almost disappointed. Almost.

Now ensconced in our new studio, which will be home for four nights. Very nice.

First range day of the year. It was sunny without too much wind, and I was shooting well. I even enjoyed cleaning my firearms afterward. Is it weird to enjoy the smell of Hoppes #9?

No, it only starts to get weird when you dab it on instead of cologne.

Edit: Late to the cologne comments.

My first day on 50% less BP meds. Started out ok, BP was normal, but its dropped down to 100/60 at last reading. Dizzy too. Real dizzy when I stand up.

My PCP suggested giving the lower dose 2 weeks. I'm trying to go that long. I can't really reduce it further without a different prescription.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom