What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first day on 50% less BP meds. Started out ok, BP was normal, but its dropped down to 100/60 at last reading. Dizzy too. Real dizzy when I stand up.

My PCP suggested giving the lower dose 2 weeks. I'm trying to go that long. I can't really reduce it further without a different prescription.

Maybe something other than BP is causing the dizziness.

I am on BP meds too, and 100/60 is typical for me, more or less. For example, this week:

5/5/2018: 107/67
5/6/2018: 100/65
5/7/2018: 105/66
5/8/2018: 97/61
5/9/2018: 103/67

This is not due to great physical fitness since I am a total couch potato lately. Despite that, in my case, I don't feel even slightly dizzy. I like having my BP low like this, because I speculate that my heart might wear out more slowly with age, than it might with higher BP.

The dizziness is pretty unnerving and worrisome, I would think. Maybe it is due to the other pharmaceuticals that you are taking, or else some other factor.

Rebuilding our deck with Trex.

Attachments

• IMG_0750.JPG
    IMG_0750.JPG
    586.6 KB · Views: 52
Yesterday DW was rear-ended by a teenage babbling bimbo on her cell phone (fortunately no injuries) so yesterday afternoon and today was pretty much spent dealing with the insurance company, making arrangements to get DW's car fixed, arranging and picking up the rental car and all that kind of fun stuff. DW is a little bit sore, but seems otherwise okay. She did see a doctor, since at the time of the collision she was within sight of her dermatologist's appointment. Not exactly his specialty, but he didn't note anything obvious that needed further follow-up. And I missed my gym day today. On the plus side, DW was somewhat cheered by being taken out to lunch.

So now DW's Honda Accord is at the body shop (i.e., "collision rehabilitation center") and we have a rented 2018 Nissan Pathfinder in the garage. We have to make a trip to Morgantown, WV next Monday and hopefully returning on Wednesday. Unfortunately, the rental has Massachusetts tags on it and this being West Virginia I'm hoping no one shoots at us.:D

Yesterday DW was rear-ended by a teenage babbling bimbo on her cell phone (fortunately no injuries) so yesterday afternoon and today was pretty much spent dealing with the insurance company, making arrangements to get DW's car fixed, arranging and picking up the rental car and all that kind of fun stuff. DW is a little bit sore, but seems otherwise okay. She did see a doctor, since at the time of the collision she was within sight of her dermatologist's appointment. Not exactly his specialty, but he didn't note anything obvious that needed further follow-up. And I missed my gym day today. On the plus side, DW was somewhat cheered by being taken out to lunch.

So now DW's Honda Accord is at the body shop (i.e., "collision rehabilitation center") and we have a rented 2018 Nissan Pathfinder in the garage. We have to make a trip to Morgantown, WV next Monday and hopefully returning on Wednesday. Unfortunately, the rental has Massachusetts tags on it and this being West Virginia I'm hoping no one shoots at us.:D
Good thing she’s ok. :)

+1

Same thing happened to DW a few years ago. I think teens call it "Texting Tag". :nonono:

On the plus side, the young lady hopefully learned her lesson cheaply. Her dad showed up at the scene and although I don't know if he's military, he had that bearing, was wearing a t-shirt with "U.S. Army" on it and looked very physically fit. If that's the case I almost feel sorry for the young girl. He said she'd just graduated H.S., was headed to WVU in the fall, and that was her first car, a 2007 Ford Focus. Given the amount of front end damage to her car and that the air bag deployed it's about a sure bet the car is totaled. For her sake I hope they had collision insurance on it. (It's titled in Dad's name.) And if Daddy is in the Army odds are good he's not being overly sympathetic to his dear daughter.

An injury free accident can be one of life’s lessons with a lasting impact but not a lifelong penalty. A few years of increased insurance premiums - if she learns to stay focused on her driving and avoid distractions.

And if Daddy is in the Army odds are good he's not being overly sympathetic to his dear daughter.

I don't know if that's true; I wasn't married in the military, but my friends always seemed very devoted to their kids. OTOH they were very fair. My guess would be that darling daughter will be responsible for her own insurance premiums from now on. And that, as MichaelB pointed out, could be a very substantial hit. I think it's generally a three year penalty on most policies.

I don't know if that's true; I wasn't married in the military, but my friends always seemed very devoted to their kids.

Oh I don't doubt that he's devoted to his kids, most folks I knew with military backgrounds were. But they also had little patience or tolerance for irresponsibility either.

Walt glad DW seems ok.

I picked my truck up from the bodyshop today. Had to get the Ford Edge back to Enterprise. Seems I'm not qualified to start a Ford Edge, or to open the door. I'm at a gas station when I try to get in it, and whacked my head with the door. I see a lady being amused and explained it's a rental. By the time she walks by the windshield wipers are running full blast and the security system is telling the neighborhood I don't know the vehicle. I'm reading the book trying to start the thing.

Enterprise asked what I thought about the Edge and I politely said "Ford bought my last new Ford back after 6 months because it was a lemon. This one hasn't changed my opinion". Never again.

Today was day 3 of my reduced metoprolol and my first gym day. I'd built up to a certain level of jogging and an expected heart rate. That went out the window, as my PCP predicted. Ten minutes in and my heartrate is 155 and I'm not feeling well. I slowed down to where I started a month ago and finished my treadmill time and some weights. Really wasn't feeling great, not ER time yet.

Went out for Mexican and some electrolytes afterwards.[emoji12] My heartrate hasn't quite recovered yet. Been going over 100 bpm while resting, starting to drop more now. Last time this happened all I did was drop 50 pounds, unfortunately I don't have another 50 to lose.

Enterprise asked what I thought about the Edge and I politely said "Ford bought my last new Ford back after 6 months because it was a lemon. This one hasn't changed my opinion". Never again.

I'll begin this comment by saying I have nothing against Ford; I think they are a truly great car company although I've never owned one. However, I once did some w*rk as a contractor for a company that supplied their CAD software.

But I was amused because earlier today I ran into an ad for the original Model T. What struck me was the comment "If you want endurance, long life, the Model T's useful life, with ordinary care, will extend five or six years."

Model T.jpg

Ordered a new set of tires for DW's Highlander - Happy Mother's Day!

Sam's Club is having a one-day sale today offering an additional $60 off a set of four tires plus whatever discount the mfg. is offering ($80). She has ~60,000 miles on her current tires I've been waiting for a sale to replace them.

Better than flowers, eh? :)

Better than flowers, eh? :)

Just to be on the safe side, I'd spend at least a bit of the savings on a $10 bunch of flowers from the grocery store. You do not have to tell her where they came from.

Had our first block party today. It went great and met many neighbors.

Went to a Daughter of the American Revolution meeting. Next I introduced myself to a new neighbor and welcomed them to our slice of heaven. Our area is very stable so it is unusual to meet someone new. Perusing The book How to Retire Happy, Wild and Free and watching the NHL Conference game. Retirement is unspeakably grand!

Interesting stuff.

Mother's Day present usually arrives today by FedEx, but nothing so far. Hmm.

Had a fun fishing trip today:

YZ7sToh.jpg

It was blowing a gale, but I was in the lee of the shore. Whenever I got too hot in my drysuit, I paddled out into the wind.

Caught two small cutthroats in the first five minutes and then nothing for another hour or two.

I didn't paddle far, so I don't get to count it as exercise.

G2ZRgUd.jpg

The free app from Anglr.com tracks my movements and catches.

Went to pre Mother's Day and my birthday luncheon with sons, DIL's and grandbaby.
We never do Mother's Day or Valentine's Day on the day because it is usually very crowded.
One son gave me a beautiful B & W 16x20 professional photo of a steam engine. The other gave me a neat book written by a pilot about his experiences. They are both my passions.
After lunch we went to a succulent nursery DW (she is good at this) found on line. One of our sons was there also buying plants for his yard.
I just inventoried my little freezer and found some chicken wings. Right now DW (I call her the BBQ Queen) is down on our patio, with her reader and a timer cooking them.
Life is good!

Drove down to the city early yesterday morning for breakfast at a Jeep dealership and to hand out maps to the 4-wheeler club. We then came up and ran the off-road trails by my place. Afterwords we had dinner and activities at the kid's camp. Smoked baby back ribs, pork tenderloins, brats, Italian sausage, beans, potatoes, salad, desert. The activities included a zip line and horse rides. 4-wheeling, dinner and activities for 80 or so friends is hard on a Hermit. I slept very good last night. :)

I had a nice Mother's Day weekend. Friday we took a ferry boat tour of Oakland's Harbor by the Port of Oakland. The tours are free but very popular and everyone tries to sign up the minute they open registration. This was the first time I was ever able to sign us up before the tour was filled. It was pretty interesting - especially getting next to the container ships - they are huge.

Last night we had dinner with friends at the Alameda Yacht Club with pretty views of the marina. Today we had a family picnic at a winery with champagne tastings for Mother's Day and watched Westworld in the evening.

After a nice relaxing Mother's Day, I started off the day by cleaning out the cabinet under my bathroom sink. Don't think I've done it since we moved in more than 8 years ago. Yikes! Threw away half a garbage bag of expired or otherwise unusable stuff. Now I can actually find the things I use! Unfortunately, it also reminded me that the cabinet under the kitchen sink is 10 times worse, so I'll have to gather up some motivation to tackle that one.

Packed and shipped birthday gifts to my sister. Did the grocery shopping. Tomorrow DS is arriving for a couple of days so I have some prep work to do as we haven't had house guests since the kids were home for New Years.

After a nice relaxing Mother's Day, I started off the day by cleaning out the cabinet under my bathroom sink. Don't think I've done it since we moved in more than 8 years ago. Yikes! Threw away half a garbage bag of expired or otherwise unusable stuff. Now I can actually find the things I use! Unfortunately, it also reminded me that the cabinet under the kitchen sink is 10 times worse, so I'll have to gather up some motivation to tackle that one.

Packed and shipped birthday gifts to my sister. Did the grocery shopping. Tomorrow DS is arriving for a couple of days so I have some prep work to do as we haven't had house guests since the kids were home for New Years.

We put in slide-out organizers like these on Amazon. Lots of sizes and shapes. They helped a bunch.
Household Essentials 1265B-1 Glidez Under Sink Sliding Organizer | Pull Out Cabinet Shelf | Wood | 11.5 Inches Wide

Ran into an old boss today on the street downtown. He asked if I’d consider coming to work part time. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I swear they always do that!!! It's like they never actually believe it when we say we are retiring.

Right after I announced my retirement plans and date, three people at my agency asked me if I could be persuaded to do some consulting, either part time or full time, even telecommuting if I wanted to. They were all middle to upper management, the next three levels up the chain of command. I very politely and nicely told each of the three that they didn't have enough money in the agency budget to afford what that would cost. :D

(OK, saying that was fun, I admit it.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom