What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installed my new garage door butler. Automatically closes an open garage door (with timer) or at darkness by sensor. Old technology, but it works fine for those that forget to close the garage door at times.

IMG_20180720_145210.jpg

Took dog for our morning walk and then headed for the farmers' market right after breakfast. Got steak, smoked sausage, shrimp, eggs, squash, several kinds of peppers, melon, carrots, and heirloom tomatoes - we'll be eating well this week!

Needed to find a piece of insurance paperwork that wasn't in the file folder, so I surmised it was in the pile on my desk :nonono:. Managed to clear out about an 8" pile and sure enough, it was there. Filed, shredded, or recycled most of the rest of the pile. And I pulled a bunch of shreddable stuff out of the file cabinet while I was at it as a bonus. :trash: Desk sure looks much better, but I also had to dump the shredder (hate that messy job).

Ordered a kit to knit a tote bag for my sister for Christmas and picture frames for two prints I bought in Prague last year that were in "the pile".

Decided to check in over here and found this interesting thread: Anyone with typing skills looking to volunteer. Checked out the site and decided to do a few transcriptions while I was there. Very interesting!

Worked many hours in our garden plot. Harvested 25 lbs of beets, 10 lbs of onions and 10 lbs of shallots. After giving some to the neighbors and saving some for eating fresh, I canned 21 pints of beets -- 7 pickled and 14 straight up. The onions and shallots currently are spread out to dry on newspaper. Also harvested and shucked all of the remaining peas, which I will use for seed next year. They are also drying.

Visiting London, we stopped in to Harrod’s. I offered to buy DW a nice new burka. That’s the last thing I remember.

Worked many hours in our garden plot. Harvested 25 lbs of beets, 10 lbs of onions and 10 lbs of shallots. After giving some to the neighbors and saving some for eating fresh, I canned 21 pints of beets -- 7 pickled and 14 straight up. The onions and shallots currently are spread out to dry on newspaper. Also harvested and shucked all of the remaining peas, which I will use for seed next year. They are also drying.

That's some garden, Gumby! Very smart to have all of those crops that keep for weeks/months.

I must be a more generous person than you. I'd have given all 25 lbs. away.

That's some garden, Gumby! Very smart to have all of those crops that keep for weeks/months.

Thanks. It's 1200 sqft and full of more than we can eat. Last weekend, we got 20 lbs of green beans. We probably will pick our first sweet corn tomorrow. I regularly take stuff into the office to give it away.

Spent the weekend with Mrs PD, DD and Son-IL and beautiful baby GS in a village called Malahide near Dublin, Ireland. We’re from Glasgow, Scotland.

Had a fantastic time. Grandson is 5 months old and learning new things every week it seems. I am so blessed!

I'm trying to get started on one of my retirement projects to put my dad's old documents, many from WWII, in an album. The documents are starting to deteriorate so ordered archival quality mounting paper, protectors, and sleeves. After that I will start on old family photographs. It took me quite a while to research what materials I needed for the project. I'm not a craftsy person so hope this goes well.

I had lunch with older son today. DIL and 2GS are in the Czech Republic visiting her mother. Her father passed away last year, and she was there when he died.

Discussed college plans for both GS, and told him how much was in each 529 plan for them.
Also told him we both get SS and a small pension, but not how much:D

I was in Denver this weekend helping DD and her husband cut tile for their first remodel project. They are coming up on a year in their new house, so the remodel projects are pretty much on schedule! :LOL:

I am glad to be back in the mountains. It is way too hot down there in the city.

Plumbing inspection is scheduled for tomorrow. Things are moving along on the house construction.

My main events for Sunday have been taking the dog on a local hiking trail and trying to figure out and repair why I couldn't access some sites from my main PC. Yesterday we saw Livermore Shakespeare Festival's production of A Winter's Tale at an outdoor theater in the round at Wente Vineyards.

I'm trying to get started on one of my retirement projects to put my dad's old documents, many from WWII, in an album. The documents are starting to deteriorate so ordered archival quality mounting paper, protectors, and sleeves. After that I will start on old family photographs. It took me quite a while to research what materials I needed for the project. I'm not a craftsy person so hope this goes well.

Good for you! Definitely stick with archival quality products. Sleeves are essential to prevent more damage. Don't worry about being "craftsy", just do it. Ignore all of the websites with ornate page decorations. Put the documents on the pages, with some simple decorations (geometrics in 2 or 3 colors for example) if you want. Definitely write down (with permanent archival marker on archival paper) anything you either remember your dad telling you about something, or any information you've found since then that gives more perspective on the documents. Enjoy the memories!

Thanks, MBAustin. I hadn't thought about adding information to the album and that is a great idea. My dad was in a POW camp for more than a year and had some stories that are definitely worth documenting.

Went to the dentist. He attempted to reattach a crown, did not succeed. Referred me to a prosthodontist for a crown lengthening and new crown. I'm sure it's going to be expensive and painful. Would it be easier to have an extraction and bridge? Tooth #8.

Lots of rain over the past few days meant the Army Corp of Engineers had to open the dam (unusual for a weekday in July). There is also a lot of runoff hitting the river so the level is high. Our boss organized the shuttles for an impromptu river excursion for us guides. There was a mix of abilities, from first descents to 40+ years on the river. For me, it was the highest water level I’ve done in my kayak. A good time had by all, followed by a group dinner at the local pub.

This photo was taken prior to entering one of the biggest rapids. Just a bunch of river guides, out playing in the rain. IMG_0620.JPG

I will be going to a funeral for an Air Force Wingman Warrior. The extreme temperature made deciding what is decently respectable to wear a challenge. It will be a day to honor his life and it’s something good to do. A time to stand tall in memory of our friendship and for the legacy of his family.

This shows how hard it is to hold a fish and take a picture:

Csy34cG.jpg

Actually, I did get a shot of him before he got away:

rI9ULp9.jpg

It was hot here so today I just stayed inside and got caught up on some paperwork. Last might we attended an Imagine Dragon's concert which was way cool. They put on a great show.

Yesterday....the last big step on our backyard reno was started. We have one section of privacy fence left that needs to go in and the holes were dug for that. Almost a year to the day that we started "the project". Also yesterday, we went out for lunch and mid afternoon I took McDonald's to my folks. That is my Mom's favorite meal and they like to eat early. It's nice to sit at the table with them, I have a snack and they eat their dinner.

Fired up the Stihl hedge trimmer and trimmed some bushes out front. Today is the first day in about a week that we didn't get any rain so this was a bit overdue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom