What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nicked my little finger on a power plane. Later wiped up blood that dripped all tbe way from downstairs to the sink upstairs. I put a bandaid on it to stop the bleeding. One should be very carefull when using power equipment...

Especially when you get older....:LOL:

Last edited:
Nicked my little finger on a power plane. Later wiped up blood that dripped all tbe way from downstairs to the sink upstairs. I put a bandaid on it to stop the bleeding. One should be very carefull when using power equipment...

Be careful with that thing! I nicked my finger last week on a band saw. Maybe we are getting too old for power tools. I shudder to think what life would be like without power tools.

Fun night with one of the bands...it was our first practice since a gig 2 weeks ago and we tried out 10 new songs. It looks like 6 of them are keepers.

I also swapped another set of summer to winter tires.

I used to use power tools very "casually" in my younger years...and I used them a lot, but luckily I avoided serious injury. I'm a lot more careful these days.

Woke up this morning to a 63° house, it's a balmy 15° outside. Our duct cleaning seems to have impacted our furnaces ability to deliver heat.

We have a small gas parlour stove in the living room, it's blower is on order. But if you stand close enough it's warm. DW and I are arguing about who gets the dogs on them.

Ended a two-day leaf vacuuming just in time for trash to pick up the leaf bags. This year I am doing the whole thing with the lawnmower and mulch bag. Does anybody else do it this way? If you spread the leaves thin enough, the mower will just vacuum them up. I think it's easier than raking and bending down to pick up and bag, even with having to empty the mower bag pretty frequently. The leaves are already collected and they are chopped up, so more fit into the bag. It does feel a little strange to be using the rake to disperse leaf piles instead of make them.

The wind is blowing from behind my house to across the street. My lawn still looks pretty clean. My poor neighbor, who was out working at the same time I was, has a full leaf lawn again.

Furnace guy came out and it was interesting. He hadn't a clue what was wrong. He kept thinking the thermostat was the problem, bypassing it did nothing.

I'd found a sensor described in the manual that required manual resetting, only I hadn't been able to locate it. When he gave up I asked about this sensor and he found it right underneath the blower. The sensor was fine but the wires it connected to had become detached during the duct cleaning. Heats on, lesson learned.

Furnace guy came out and it was interesting. He hadn't a clue what was wrong. He kept thinking the thermostat was the problem, bypassing it did nothing.

I'd found a sensor described in the manual that required manual resetting, only I hadn't been able to locate it. When he gave up I asked about this sensor and he found it right underneath the blower. The sensor was fine but the wires it connected to had become detached during the duct cleaning. Heats on, lesson learned.
Bad marks for them, since they did not test your system after the cleaning.
Good marks for you all around. You read the manual!

Bad marks for them, since they did not test your system after the cleaning.
Good marks for you all around. You read the manual!
That's what I didn't understand. I swore we tested the furnace before they left. The state of the wiring suggests there's no way that fan could run. I must have heard an air filter running. I believe DW suggested to them she'd turn the system back on. But yes, he should have tested.

This system is kinda weird, I had to RTFM.
When they first saw it they're wondering what one part was. I looked and said that's where the bricks go. They thought I was joking. No, the thing is full of thermal bricks, makes heat at night with lower electric rates and uses the stored heat during prime time. The design of the vent fan is not ideal. I understand how it got knocked off.
But hey, it's a balmy 72° now [emoji1]

Ended a two-day leaf vacuuming just in time for trash to pick up the leaf bags. This year I am doing the whole thing with the lawnmower and mulch bag. Does anybody else do it this way? If you spread the leaves thin enough, the mower will just vacuum them up. I think it's easier than raking and bending down to pick up and bag, even with having to empty the mower bag pretty frequently. The leaves are already collected and they are chopped up, so more fit into the bag. It does feel a little strange to be using the rake to disperse leaf piles instead of make them.

The wind is blowing from behind my house to across the street. My lawn still looks pretty clean. My poor neighbor, who was out working at the same time I was, has a full leaf lawn again.
I have 16 maples on my 1/3 acre lot, and have tried every method under the sun. Yours is the quickest and most efficient.

Last edited:
Our main events have been a musical in the city last night - Crazy for You. The production was really well done, especially the choreography. Tonight we went out for a comedy show with several different comedians. Sometimes those are hit and miss, but every comic tonight was pretty funny.

A lot of outside events have been cancelled due to poor air quality from the fires, even though we are several hours drive away from the nearest major fire. The skies have been hazy all day.

Started day at coffee then the "Emergence of the Modern Middle East Class." Home. Got bored watching Raiders lose to Chargers so I made:
Spaghetti & meatballs
Stir fry
Minnestrone
Cinnamon sugar cookies
Now to do: pumpkin soup & biscuits
Freezer is full & won't cook again until I'm back from Indonesia

Last edited:
Today we went to a Veteran's Day ceremony in the morning and out for lunch with a free meal for vets. Last night we went to see the group of a musician friend play at a hipster cafe. Our friend was amazing and they had a great turn out. Afterwards we stopped at a sports bar where one of our favorite local classic rock cover bands was playing.

Spent the day yesterday with son and grandson for his birthday--lovely day.
Today will be housework and probably a nice walk--its sunny and 45 out--great Fall weather.

About 15 inches of snow this morning. I put the chains on the plow truck, hooked up the plow and started to do some plowing. The blade was locked full left, but I needed to get some snow cleared. After about an hour I broke a hydraulic hose so I could not lift the blade. I tried to take the hose off to replace it with a spare. It would not budge. I decided to go back to working on the house. It is much warmer in the house with the wood stove going than out plowing anyway. :)

Put together with DH an Ikea 2-drawer modular thing. Broke the connecting pegs on one side of the top. Reversed half of the supports. Attached the little bonus feet to the back instead of the bottom. Broke a drill bit off in the hole being drllled. If it weren’t the perfect little piece of furniture for what we are using it, it would have been back at Ikea when the connecting pegs snapped.

So much respect to the DIY craftsmen on these boards who can throw a kitchen remodel or a whole house together!

Speaking of IKEA, that's where we went for my wife to claim her free lunch of a meatball dish and a cake, plus $15 off for shopping. What's not to like? The offer is valid for the month of the member's BD. Yes, there is really a free lunch in this world, despite the often quote to the contrary. Amazing.

I took out my old drip drip drip kitchen faucet and installed a new one. Did it at the beginning of the week in case I had to call the plumber to bail me out. I consumed a few YouTube videos in preparation and one especially came in handy where the guy ended up having to cut the plastic hose to the old sprayer to get it out. I had to do the same thing.

It took quite some time to get the old faucet out because the bolts were rusty. Installing the new one just took patience. It took all day LOL, you can see it is night in the after picture.

Every time I go by the kitchen I see the new faucet and can't believe I was able to do it.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 40
I took out my old drip drip drip kitchen faucet and installed a new one. Did it at the beginning of the week in case I had to call the plumber to bail me out. I consumed a few YouTube videos in preparation and one especially came in handy where the guy ended up having to cut the plastic hose to the old sprayer to get it out. I had to do the same thing.

It took quite some time to get the old faucet out because the bolts were rusty. Installing the new one just took patience. It took all day LOL, you can see it is night in the after picture.

Every time I go by the kitchen I see the new faucet and can't believe I was able to do it.
Awesome. Good job!

Could you come over and do mine? I am wIting for the plumber and he says he won't be here until after Thanksgiving. :(

I’m very impressed, misshathaway! Can you come over next time we think we can handle Ikea contraptions?

Sharpened a bunch of kitchen knives with the Tormek wet wheel grinder, then we both worked on making a gigunda salad with lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, green bell peppers, red bell peppers, cucumber, radishes, (and maybe something else I forgot) and I separately chopped red onions and jalapeno peppers because DW can't stand those.

We each had to eat a bowl to get the level low enough to get the lid on the giant-sized Tupperware bowl. This will take care of lunches for the rest of the week.

Ate a delicious, healthy, and nutritious lunch at a restaurant as always; the wait staff there know us and are happy to cooperate and bring me the kind of food that I want and need if I just ask and get specific about it. Then we went on a long pleasure drive in our suburb which was fun, and then came home. During the rest of the day it rained and thunderstormed. So, I stayed inside, warm and dry, and here's what I did for the rest of the day and on into the night:

1) played video games,
2) surfed the internet,
3) listened to music, and
4) cooked and ate a delicious sirloin steak dinner.

It's a tough life, but somebody's got to live it... :D :dance:

As usual I didn't have to assemble or repair one single doggone thing. Everything in my Dream House is cooperating in recent months, and nothing is giving me any trouble. I don't need groceries and the laundry is done. So, nothing left to do but have fun!

Sometimes I can hardly believe how wonderful retired life can be for me.

Congrats!

I hate plumbing jobs, although I still do them. My sister-in-law has to do all the work like the above around their house, because my brother is all thumbs and never does anything. Or maybe he is just being smart to avoid dirty work. Like my late father-in-law.

On the other hand, people like my wife would not mind the effort, but they cannot figure out where things go, or how to proceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom