What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gym day. We had a little snow last night and it was nice. Cloudy morning all around us.

After the gym we went to the other side of town and had a great lunch at a hole in the wall. Unique tacos and specials. By the time we were done the weather had changed.

On the way home we saw this.
We're in between two storms.
20180107_150013.jpg

I had a productive and enjoyable day. 1)cleaned upstairs bathroom, 2)put away Christmas decorations, 3)wrote an email to my bookclub buddies, concerning upcoming dinner plans, 4)wrote an email to son #2 about several tentative plans, 5)met friends for a 3 mile walk, 6)coffee and breakfast with friends, 7)caught up on reading, 8)cleared junk off dining room table, 9)watching TV and surfing

Worked out and then for a hike. I’ve hiked this route several times over the last 15 years, but it must be becoming steeper. And maybe longer.

Worked out and then for a hike. I’ve hiked this route several times over the last 15 years, but it must be becoming steeper. And maybe longer.
So far, we've spent the day on an aerial tour of the eastern US. Trying to get from CT to St Louis. We are on our 3rd flight of the day and just landed in Fort Wayne. Who knows when we might actually get there.

We had an extended holiday season as the kids didn't come in until well after Christmas; DD left Saturday and DS yesterday afternoon. So I undecorated the trees while watching TV last night and got most everything in the garage this morning. (I just noticed that the Christmas arrangement in our antique punchbowl is still there, and I have some wrapping materials still to go out.) Got the guest rooms mostly back into normal order. Off to yoga class shortly, then grocery shopping and some laundry before settling down with my knitting to watch the CFP tonight.

I didn't have anything planned for dinner last night so I pulled some boneless ribeye pork chops out of the freezer and my new pressure cooker cookbook (good job, DH!) and combined several recipes to make a delicious pork/apples/chiles dinner dish. I think I'll get a lot more use out of my pressure cooker this year!

Finally warming up enough for golf, but rain today. Tues and Wed there is a 20-40% chance of rain so might get some in. More rain after that and colder weather.:mad: I rode my indoor bike this morning while watching the below video. Nice views. Will watch the NC college football game tonight but not really interested in either team.

Slept late, a very deep sleep. Dreamed that I needed more expensive major dental work, and was elated to discover when I awakened that this was just a bad dream. I had enough of the dentist and implants last year.

Mondays are especially sweet in retirement, because I don't have to go to work. So, I am enjoying today for that reason as well.

We're not doing a thing. The ground is frozen solid and the forecast is for wintry mix of snow, sleet and rain so we're staying inside so some idiot texting won't have the opportunity to crash into us. Rising temperatures the rest of the week into civilized territory will melt what we snow/ice we have so it'll be safe to go out then.

Went to the gym this morning and made sure I got back before the freezing rain started. After lunch I painted the ceiling in one of the bedrooms that is getting a makeover. Showered, had a snack, and am settled in for some reading time.

We will probably watch the football game tonight, but we don’t have a vested interest in either team.

We're not doing a thing. The ground is frozen solid and the forecast is for wintry mix of snow, sleet and rain so we're staying inside so some idiot texting won't have the opportunity to crash into us. Rising temperatures the rest of the week into civilized territory will melt what we snow/ice we have so it'll be safe to go out then.

Glad you decided to stay home and wait this one out! I have read that in some parts of the country, the roads are like one big ice skating rink.

Even though it's in the mid 60's here today, it is also rainy and still feels pretty chilly. Yesterday the weather was the same and I tried wearing shorts for about 10 minutes, until I had to come running back home for sweatpants because it was just too cold. So, I gave up on shorts for now. Guess that was wishful thinking.

Today we had a nice lunch together, though - - big hot pasta dish with spicy marinara etc for him, small green salad with vinaigrette for me, intriguing conversations and good times for both. What a joy it is to be retired.

Dental appointment at 1:00 PM to check status of lower jaw implants installed just before the holidays. All is good and 7 weeks from now will be the gum "uncovering" to prepare for setting posts, then the crowns two weeks after that.

Don't worry W2R, I'll take up the dental work where you left off. :D I figure another 3 more months and a few large ($$$). I still have some topside jaw work left.

Mondays are especially sweet in retirement, because I don't have to go to work. So, I am enjoying today for that reason as well.
Oh, that's right it is Monday! Cycled 47 easy miles this morning after enjoying 77 miles yesterday. Retirement is awesome!:dance:

Dental appointment at 1:00 PM to check status of lower jaw implants installed just before the holidays. All is good and 7 weeks from now will be the gum "uncovering" to prepare for setting posts, then the crowns two weeks after that.

Don't worry W2R, I'll take up the dental work where you left off. :D I figure another 3 more months and a few large ($$$). I still have some topside jaw work left.
Oh, sorry to hear that!!! I have an appointment to get my teeth cleaned in February, and I wouldn't be surprised if my dentist told me at that visit that I need more expensive dental work. It's nice to have had a few months' break from it, though.

Oh, that's right it is Monday! Cycled 47 easy miles this morning after enjoying 77 miles yesterday. Retirement is awesome!:dance:

Wonderful!!! Yes, retirement is SO awesome, that's for sure. :D

I had my cataract surgery five years ago, and very happy with the outcome. Now it's DW's turn, so I took her in for the measurements today. She has the same surgeon I used, and he is superb.

The bad news is that she has some very pronounced astigmatism, and will need toric lenses, which are $1,600 each out of pocket since insurance doesn't cover that. The alternative would be that she would have to wear glasses all the time instead of just readers, so it's well worth the expense.

She's pretty excited about it, and the first eye will be done next week, the other a month later.

Our surgeon is not only talented, but also just an extremely cool guy. Every year he goes back to India for a month to visit family, and while there he spends two weeks doing the same surgery for free at a local clinic. You have to love someone who does that.

I fixed the dryer with the help of RepairClinic.com and $9.22 of parts from Amazon.com.

However, it revealed that DW's gone a little too far in the now-we-can-spend-more-money department. While I had the dryer open, she said, "Why don't we just get a new dryer from Home Depot? That can put it on the truck with our new dishwasher and range."

After installing the parts, I held my breath as the igniter coil glowed. Just when I said "Ah, shoot! It didn't work." the flame ignited.

https://youtu.be/g7EQQOqJdtM?t=1m41s

We managed to escaped the frigid midwest and we are here in Orlando!! Oh to be warm again. Today we just hung around at the resort, hit the early bird special at the bar, did some shopping and I cooked dinner in our room. A very nice day and I am looking forward to the rest of the week.

Eat some stone crabs while you are there - :)

Just when I said "Ah, shoot! It didn't work." the flame ignited.
And then, DW, looking over your shoulder saw the flame and say "Ah, shoot! It didn't work" :LOL:

Bought an Apple Pencil to make some drawings on my iPad. Took in an iPhone photo class - now to sign up for more.

Gym day, and we both signed up for a weight loss program to finally (we hope) lose "that last 5 or 10 pounds" that we've been trying to lose for the last 15 years. Neither of us is way overweight but it is frustrating to seemingly do everything right and still not lose the weight. So clearly we are not doing everything right.

Also installed Turbotax and started the tax return, which at this point is simply what could be imported from last year's return.

I'd like to see how you are doing this. Maybe a separate thread?

+1. And no excuses for it's not yet baked. We want to see your thought process as you get more facts.
It's so that y'all will say "What was he thinking"? :LOL:

That makes 3 people who are interested in what I am doing. Seriously, I will post some more info, as I owe you that much for bringing this up. I am really running behind schedule, and not making as much progress as I initially expected. I know what I need to do, but darn, I am not putting in 8 hours/day like when I was working for hire, and then there are days during the holiday season when I totally goofed off.

My wife just brought up the Alaska RV trip again. She knows that I may get so engaged in this that I forego any travel this year. And if I spend most of the 2018 summer up in Alaska, I will miss the chance to stay home to fine tune the system, even if I manage to get it running. What to do?

........ if I spend most of the 2018 summer up in Alaska, I will miss the chance to stay home to fine tune the system, even if I manage to get it running. What to do?
Take it on the road!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom