What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am starting the interior framing on my lower level/walkout basement. I am on about my fourth try at laying out the walls on the floor. I started with 2x4 walls, then changed most of them to 2x6 with staggered 2x4 studs. After consultation with a sound isolation firm I am up to 2 2x4 walls around the home theater. On top of that, none of the foundation walls were totally straight or square. I think I am about done with the layout and relatively happy with what I have. Moving from engineeging projects including rockets and spacecraft to house building has been a mental challenge!

A long time ago, my Dad told me, "Nothing in a house is level, square or straight":confused:
Especially true if your house is 161 years old, like mine. One wall of my kitchen is two inches taller than the opposite. And the house is post and beam construction, which means there are no 16 in. on center studs under the plaster, so hanging anything substantial on the walls is generally not an option

A long time ago, my Dad told me, "Nothing in a house is level, square or straight":confused:

I had the upper level pretty square and straight, but I had to move one of the walls on the foundation over to the side a bit to get everything to line up. Still, when I did the interior framing, I found that the center of the front and back walls had moved at the roof trusses causing those walls to be out of plumb by almost 3/8". That caused an interior wall to be out of plumb when I put it up. That took some time to get plumb. With the roof locked in, the out-of-plumb exterior walls will stay that way. In my last house the upper level walls were out of plumb by over an inch, so I don't feel too bad.

In Strasbourg, France, we rented an Airbnb apartment which was in the attic of an old building right in downtown. It was the 4th floor.

The place was renovated with all the modern comfort. Charming place. However, the floor had an obvious slant of a few degrees due to settling. It felt funny walking through it, but after a couple of days, we got used to it.

I initially worried about the structural integrity, but then thought that it had been standing for a few centuries, so what was the chance of it collapsing while I was there.

nice dinner story

Last night DW and I went out to one of those expensive, but local, steak houses that we go to once every now and then (last time was 7 years ago) for my birthday. We had a gift card that would cover a good chunk. They had a special going for couples that basically gave you an (almost) free lobster tail with an entry level steak. Of course when they say are you celebrating, DW spills the bean on my BD. :) We're getting a bargain at a high end place!

The waiter came by at some point to take our picture, and it was left a short time later in a restaurant logo photo card with "Happy Birthday". Hadn't seen that before, nice.

I mentioned it's local, and DW (retired teacher at private school) had occasion to cross paths with one of the owner's kids at her school (15? years ago). Another of his kids is in charge for the evening, and stops by the table to see how everything is going. DW says, "oh, you must be xxxx, I had your brother at yyyy". He says yes, that's him. We chat for a moment, nice guy, and don't think any more of it.

Now it's time for dessert. First, we get a freebie for the birthday with a candle. Nice. Then our waiter sets dessert menus in front of us and says xxxx mentioned you were at yyyy, and would like to thank you for being a local educator helping out families like ours, so please choose a dessert for each of you to take home!

Well, we already had a to go bag with part of her meal. Came in a big grocery bag style reusable bag, not a plastic bag. We tell him the two desserts and later he returns with ANOTHER big bag. DW says we don't need 2 and he says nonsense, it's good advertising.

Still reading? I know, I'm going on. :angel: We get home and there's only of our take home free desserts.

We brought the mail in comment card home, and I told her that she should complain that we got only 2 of our 3 expected free desserts! :)

Great evening out, and we are just laughing at the way things played out.

If I were you, I'd get on Yelp and TripAdvisor and give them a very nice review.

2lia6p5.jpg

2ykym82.jpg

Picked up some bling today, a 1.5oz. 24k ring from the jewelry shop, not really for blinging, it’s my “emergency” fund when traveling overseas. When I get home I have my bullion order waiting for me

Filled Easter Eggs with candy or coins. Youngest grandchild is beginning to read. I wrote rhymes for them to figure out where in the house the paper money is hidden. The Easter Bunny come on Saturday at our house.

The young wife and I met this morning with the contractor who will be painting the house and refinishing the wood floors. Then we went to the matinee movie to see "Darkest Hour". I can see why Gary Oldman won an Academy Award for his portrayal of Winston Churchill; it was a spectacular performance.

Started back on my German studies.
I had taken a break for the last few months to learn a little Swedish, but every person I met over there spoke perfect, beautiful English. A little frustrating that I couldn't use what I had learned (although I did try).

I thought Swedish was actually a little easier to learn than German, and I kind of enjoyed it. But I'll have much more opportunity to actually use the German I learn. Until a year ago, I only spoke "restaurant/train station German", so I've been working at it to try to improve.

Ended snowbird 2018. Within 2 hours of being back in Illinois, I hit a deer with my truck. I was only doing about 30 mph.The deer hit the pavement and bounced back to its hooves. I looked to the side of the road where 4 deer stood, and it looked like one of them was standing on 3 legs. Depressing. No damage to my truck though.

I just got back from Easter dinner with the year-rounders up here. I ate way too much and probably drank more that enough wine. DD and her husband were up here. Good time had by all. Happy Easter to everyone in FIRE land!

Easter dinner with the in-laws down in NJ. Then the long drive back to CT.

DW and I took a bike ride this morning... I put 2 new tires and tubes on her bike on Friday and we have a 15 mile ride with friends tomorrow so wanted to make a test ride. the nearby restaurant where we planned to have breakfast was closed even though the signage says that they are open on Sundays... so we presumed that they were closed for Easter. Ended up having breakfast at McDonalds across the street.

Then helped set up for an Easter dinner with friends at our clubhouse and returned home to make maple-glazed carrots and salad and home-made Italian and French salad dressings. Had a nice dinner with 16 friends in the early afternoon but I ate and drank too much and had a nice nap while the golf tournament was on in the background.

We had a good part of our family at our house for brunch today. Spent part of the day cleaning and putting things back together. Now I am watching the live production of Jesus Christ Superstar on TV. I loved all the music in the 70's.

Had a wonderful Easter with DW's 2 sons, DILs, DIL sister, and 4 year old grand daughter.
We put out eggs for her, and after she picked them up, we watched her count them past 30!
All in all a great day.
We wish all of you a Happy Easter and Passover

DW and I went out for the first time in weeks. We spend a couple of hours at the beach, then went to a movie, then out to dinner. A most enjoyable day. We saw "Ready Player One".

Yesterday had a wonderful dinner with family.
Today the sun is shining, I did some weeding. Next will be heading to an appointment for a massage, then a rather large shopping trip to Costco--although, I probably have that backwards!:LOL:

Celebrated my 4th retirement anniversary with lunch at Steak and Shake. And brought tax info to the tax guy and picked up some mahogany for the next toy box I’m making.

I got an e-mail from credit card company asking me if I had charged a pizza in Brooklyn. - No I hadn't. I'm in the mountains of Colorado. Now my credit card is cancelled and I get to go through the changed CC number drill in the next week or so. :facepalm:

So someone bought a stolen CC number and used it to charge a pizza?? I hope it tasted good. The number was shut down within 30 minutes of the charge because I happened to be sitting at my computer when the e-mail came in.

Celebrated my 4th retirement anniversary with lunch at Steak and Shake.

Reminded me of the article I saw a couple of days ago about the big raise the Steak & Shake CEO awarded himself last year:

Biglari CEO awards himself 800% pay raise for 2017

Biglari’s $8.3 million in compensation last year was 828 times more than the median compensation of the company’s employees last year, according to a filing this week with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Nice salary. :)

I got an e-mail from credit card company asking me if I had charged a pizza in Brooklyn. - No I hadn't. I'm in the mountains of Colorado. Now my credit card is cancelled and I get to go through the changed CC number drill in the next week or so. :facepalm:

So someone bought a stolen CC number and used it to charge a pizza?? I hope it tasted good. The number was shut down within 30 minutes of the charge because I happened to be sitting at my computer when the e-mail came in.
There have been times when I told friends that I would kill for a pizza, but even then I would never have even considered buying a stolen CC number to pay for it! :ROFLMAO: First of all, it is wrong and I would never do that sort of thing; but also I would think the stolen CC number cost more than the pizza.

The pizza was the test run. If they got away with the pizza, airline tickets could be next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom