What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frank and I went to the gym, where I mostly lifted weights and also rode the Nustep machine for a few minutes. Later we went out to lunch together.

I must have had a good workout because after we came home from lunch, I fell asleep in my easy chair and took a totally delicious 2 hour unplanned nap. :LOL:

Went to the dermatologist to get some suspicious spots burned off. Then to Harbor freight to pick up an LED light for a friend who has macular degeneration.
The went to my favorite brewpub to get my growler filled and have lunch. They had some killer specialty pizzas. I called DW and read the descriptions to her and brought one home for her.:)

Sorry to hear this .I hope it resolves quickly
+1

I had a crowning.

After months of repeated treatments for a root canal and then a crown that should not be needed, I'm done. A nice new gold crown on my back molar. The tooth above it is a new gold crown, hopefully they will be the last crowns on those teeth.

It feels pretty good, a little sensitive, but it had a good workout today. I'd had the temporary crown replaced twice and the last time the doc said to use the permanent glue on the temporary. It worked!😂

Saw my neighbor come home in his pretty red Maserati. He’s such a miserable cuss. Changed the bed linens for summer (it’s 90).Turned the valves on for the solar to the pool. Now I’m settled in to watch hockey and bs text with my hockey buddies. Boy is life good!

Gotta love hockey playoffs no..........Two good games out of three so far.

Frank and I went to the gym, where I mostly lifted weights and also rode the Nustep machine for a few minutes. Later we went out to lunch together.
I must have had a good workout because after we came home from lunch, I fell asleep in my easy chair and took a totally delicious 2 hour unplanned nap. :LOL:

May I ask how you like that Nustep machine ? I showed it to DW and she was intrigued by it. She can't use a conventional elliptical and this might be just the ticket for her.

Let me log this into dumb moves:

There's been so much talk in the house about people who won't work when times get tough (SAH-DIL wants DS to work 2 FT jobs / Sis' SIL think Lil sis is the go-to bank), that I heard from a ST election dept project position rolling out new equipment paying 2× minimum wage. I applied :( at least it's only 2 weeks

May I ask how you like that Nustep machine ? I showed it to DW and she was intrigued by it. She can't use a conventional elliptical and this might be just the ticket for her.

The Nustep machine is very popular at my gym, especially with the older gym members for some reason. I'm not sure why, except that they are very stable and easy to use, with comfortable seats. I use it now and then for variety. It has some nice easy settings if you don't feel like doing much, although you can also increase the intensity until it is more challenging.

One nice thing about it, is that you can choose to either do most of the work with your legs, or else do most of the work with your arms and let your legs just go along for the ride. So, if you have a leg problem or sore leg muscles, it doesn't keep you from getting a good workout and you are still moving your knees and hips which is helpful for arthritis.

Maybe you can find a gym that has one, and ask them if she could try it out. My gym has about 15 of them so there are always some available.

My gym also has the Octane seated elliptical, which is my favorite. It is sort of like a stationary bike but your feet move in an elliptical pattern. I feel like that does great things for me. If I was to buy something, I'd prefer the seated elliptical to the Nustep. My gym only has a half dozen seated ellipticals and usually they are all being used and that was the case yesterday.

Last edited:
It's very popular at my gym, especially with the older gym members for some reason. I'm not sure why, except that they are very stable and easy to use, with comfortable seats. I use it now and then for variety. It has some nice easy settings if you don't feel like doing much, although you can also increase the intensity until it is more challenging. Maybe you can find a gym that has one, and ask them if she could try it out. My gym has about 15 of them so there are always some available.

My gym also has a seated elliptical, which is my favorite. It is sort of like a stationary bike but your feet move in an elliptical pattern. I feel like that does great things for me. But they only have a half dozen and usually they are all being used and that was the case yesterday.

Thanks ! :flowers:

I edited my post and added some links, so that you can see the models of these machines that I was talking about. I was surprised when I googled them, to find out how many different looking seated ellipticals there are.

I use that machine at rehab. IMO it is easy to use .They turn up the levels and increase the time as you progress . It helps with endurance . I was at rehab(pulmonary ) today and after weights ( arms and legs 10 exercises 20 times with weights) and doing the stairs for several minutes I did the treadmill 20 minutes, the arm bicycle 20 minutes and ended with the NUstep for 25 minutes .IMO the Nustep was the easiest of all the exercises .

Last edited:
I edited my post and added some links, so that you can see the models of these machines that I was talking about. I was surprised when I googled them, to find out how many different looking seated ellipticals there are.

I use that machine at rehab. IMO it is easy to use .They turn up the levels and increase the time as you progress . It helps with endurance . I was at rehab(pulmonary ) today and after weights ( arms and legs 10 exercises 20 times with weights) and doing the stairs for several minutes I did the treadmill 20 minutes, the arm bicycle 20 minutes and ended with the NUstep for 25 minutes .IMO the Nustep was the easiest of all the exercises .

Thank you both. DW is going to check around with the various gym chains in our city, see if any of them have those machines.

Had some complications from the procedure and it turns out that about 5% of patients get pancreatitis (inflamed pancreas). Guess who won the pancreatitis lottery?

So instead of one day in the hospital this has turned into at least a four-day stay, I might be released tomorrow. In the meantime, besides posting a lot from here, I am perfecting my tissue bank shot off the wall and into the trash can. DW thoughtfully placed the trash can so it would do double duty as an entertainment device and took the photo.

Did you make it back home safe and sound? ..I hope so..

Went up here: 20180412_131323.jpg

I've had a nagging cough for months so I finally broke down and went to a doc in the box. His assessment was that it was seasonal allergies causing post nasal drip and he prescribed a generic cough suppressant. I had him send the prescription to Costco, as they seem to have the best drug prices. It turned out that my Part D plan did not cover this drug so I was charged $48 for 21 pills. When I got home, I looked it up on GoodRX and found I could have printed a coupon and gotten it for 1/4 that price. :mad: Such ridiculous variability for drug prices - even generics. :nonono:

I had the same problem and the same diagnosis, but the doctor advised loratadine (generic Claritin), which is available over-the-counter, to clear up the drip rather than trying to suppress the cough. It has worked wonders for me. I usually wait until I have a good CVS coupon and then buy the large size bottle.

the doctor advised loratadine (generic Claritin), which is available over-the-counter, to clear up the drip rather than trying to suppress the cough. It has worked wonders for me. I usually wait until I have a good CVS coupon and then buy the large size bottle.

DW has been using that lately and it's been working great for her.

For me, I got the deal of the month this morning. We were ready for some pulled pork, so I stopped in at Kroger to buy a pork shoulder the other day. The guy at the butcher counter said "When are you going to cook it?" I said it would be this week, and he said there would be a three day sale on them starting today.

Great! I went in this morning and got three shoulders, 28 pounds in all, for $0.99 a pound. Saved nearly $50 from regular prices. Two are in the freezer and one will be cooked this weekend. Gotta love those loss leaders!

I had the same problem and the same diagnosis, but the doctor advised loratadine (generic Claritin), which is available over-the-counter, to clear up the drip rather than trying to suppress the cough. It has worked wonders for me. I usually wait until I have a good CVS coupon and then buy the large size bottle.
Good suggestion. I have been taking one Loratadine a day, but maybe I need to bump up the dose. Costco has it pretty inexpensively.

Friday we drove back from Morgantown, WV (well, DW did the driving, I was far too exhausted to drive) and arrived home a bit after noon. Basically I pretty much slept for the rest of the day and night and I'm still feeling 20 years older than my age. Apparently this is going to take a while to recover from. I'm not planning any activity until at least the middle of next week.

Last month I had ordered a new R/C model airplane that was on backorder and it arrived shortly after we got home. I haven't even bothered to take it out of the box because I'm too tired to fool with it. That's a new level of "tired" for me.

I took my Mom swimming this morning at her workout place. We had lunch and ice cream with my sister. Then my sister and I worked on painting her hallway. We started it yesterday and today got it almost finished up. The walls had the original builder paint, so they just sucked up the paint.

Finished up my porch gate project, lotta work! Now live in a "gated community" :)

41461138101_6ba2e885cb_o.jpg

We are having my mother, the children, the son-in-law, and the godmother of the children over for dinner. The occasion is my SIL's birthday.

I am roasting a leg of lamb. For the poor people who do not appreciate roasted lamb, I grill some grass-fed steak. Still waiting for the guests to arrive, so I started to grill some onion basted with a bit of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The aroma of the lamb with rosemary and a bit of cinnamon is driving me insane. I am sipping a bit of Pinot Noir to tide me over.

Life is so darn good, and it really does not take a lot of money.

I have a nice 8 rib rack of lamb in the fridge. Tonight I will do the olive oil, garlic and rosemary soak and whip it up on the egg tomorrow.

Rare rack of lamb, little lambie lolly-pops to savor in delight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom