What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to ranch and fished till noon. Then spent a few hours at the cabin doing some work on the outside of the cabin.

I dug holes for the tomato plants we will plant toward the end of the week. I will take a bike ride this evening.

made and locked down our RV park reservations for our 1800-mi, 8-day/7-nite trip home. final stock-up grocery run scoring Bounty paper towels and generic TP, both for the house. :dance:

Shampooed another room carpeting and redid two others, it did make a difference the second time. We had no idea the carpets hold so much dirt. Now my back hurts so I'm going to take tomorrow off.

The book on Adobe Premiere Elements (video editing software) arrived so I can finally dig deeper into that. And I found out how to do a "freeze frame" when the video stops for a short period of time, and how to have a graphic or text follow an object in the video. In this case it is a video I made some time back by having a camera/TV transmitter on an R/C airplane, and the text "I am here" follows the point where I'm standing as the airplane does a roll. I'm guessing it takes some pretty sophisticated programming to pull that off in the software but I really have no idea. I feel like a kid with a new toy to play with.

Workout, walkabout in morning. Checked on my nieces well being, they are in lower NY state.
Slaved over a hot stove to make Black bean soup, will make up care packege for lady friend.

Every day I spend some time editing photos from the shortened trip that we started in March to Arizona.

Attachments

• IMG_0784fb.jpg
    IMG_0784fb.jpg
    903.2 KB · Views: 45
Went for a long walk along the river on one side, and home on the other. Near our place saw one of the newly returned Osprey going back to their platform with a stick.

Mate was P.O.'d and sang a John Prine bird version to him: "How can a Pandion haliaetus go to work in the morning, come home in the afternoon with one lousy twig?"

He was still getting reamed out as we passed by..."Have you been hanging out with those damn Seagulls again?"

Last edited:
(yesterday) made some veggie soup and went for an evening drive.
This morning the sun is out and I will finish planting some flowers.
Dill shrimp and rice on the menu for dinner.

Shelter in Place has been extended in the Bay Area. Surprised that it's over down there. But I'm so ready to do more than hiking and grocery shopping
Stay at home orders haven't gone away - just a *limited* reopening of the local beaches for walking/running/swimming/surfing. No sun bathing, no hanging out... They also reopened local parks and trails (which had been shut down completely) for running/walking... but not sitting/playing sports. Parking lots are still closed at the beach, parks, and trailheads.

As for stay at home going away - they are introducing stricter mask guidelines starting May 1st for San Diego County. (I guess delayed to let the folks who haven't acquired any to scrounge up a bandana or mask.)

California (Newsom) has set the stay at home order - so the same order effects us both. Still pretty much limited to groceries and walking... just allowed to walk along the shoreline and on local trails again.

Drove 20 miles to next county to get some lawn mower gas; 100% gasoline, no ethanol. Took daily 3 mile walk; ate some of DW's beef bone broth soup with beef, tomatoes, mushrooms and other assorted veggies. Made a barrel dolly for my gently used 59 gallon French OAk barrel. It was one of my winter projects; I had knocked the hoops off, took each stave and sanded off all the old wine stained wood, reassembled, toasted, and then put the heads in place, then filled with water. With a little luck, I had only one weeping place and I was able to make the proper repair. Thursday, I get to drain and rinse the barrel, put it on the dolly and put in place. Friday, I have 67 gallons of Chilean Chardonnay to pick up, and put in barrel. Initially, 45-50 gallons go in to ferment to allow for thermal expansion, then as fermentation progresses, I will add more juice that was fermenting in stainless steel, until full. But I gotta go, as I was called to make the mussels we're having for starters, then grilling up some marinating pork chops.

Went for a grocery run and when I got back DW was having another episode of vertigo, which happens once or twice a year. Thankfully no more often than that. We were in the middle of setting up a virtual appointment with the Dr about 30 minutes away and their Internet went down. Sigh, so we'll try again tomorrow.

We have two laptops and one desktop computer at home, and DW's iPhone 6S that would suffice. The iPhone wouldn't work because it doesn't have Javascript installed so we went to use the newer laptop which was when their end quit. The iPhone doesn't have Javascript on it because of the security issues. I'm surprised the Dr.'s office would use software needing that because of the HIPPA requirements but maybe those have been fixed? Anyway....

All other things being equal both of us prefer using the desktop system so I briefly looked online for a webcam for later. I should have known - those are harder to find than a 12-pack of Charmin. But at least we have the two laptops that will work when needed. The oldest one has a terrible camera and will need supplemental lighting if we need it but that's easily done.

Went for a grocery run and when I got back DW was having another episode of vertigo, which happens once or twice a year. Thankfully no more often than that. We were in the middle of setting up a virtual appointment with the Dr about 30 minutes away and their Internet went down. Sigh, so we'll try again tomorrow.

We have two laptops and one desktop computer at home, and DW's iPhone 6S that would suffice. The iPhone wouldn't work because it doesn't have Javascript installed so we went to use the newer laptop which was when their end quit. The iPhone doesn't have Javascript on it because of the security issues. I'm surprised the Dr.'s office would use software needing that because of the HIPPA requirements but maybe those have been fixed? Anyway....

All other things being equal both of us prefer using the desktop system so I briefly looked online for a webcam for later. I should have known - those are harder to find than a 12-pack of Charmin. But at least we have the two laptops that will work when needed. The oldest one has a terrible camera and will need supplemental lighting if we need it but that's easily done.
Javascript is typically deployed on a client side, like a phone or home machine. It's not typically deployed as a server side technology.

I didn't do much today. It's DW'S birthday and I watched her sleep. She's been ill for 3 weeks now and it's not really improving.

The Andis hair clipper and trimmer set finally arrived this morning (we ordered it over a month ago), so the young wife cut my hair. She had watched a bunch of Youtube videos in preparation for the big day. And she did a great job! I usually go to the barber every 4 weeks, and my last trip was the end of February, so I have been feeling particularly shaggy lately. I am quite happy with the results and so is she. I may never go back to the barber now.

Very little....

Slept in because DH took the pooch for a walk. Made breakfast for the teens. Watch a Bond movie. Considered making cookies but DH decided he was going to make a red sauce for pasta tonight - so he gets the kitchen.

I literally have done nothing except move laundry through the machines.... Usually I leave the house with the dog in the morning... but not today.

Went out this afternoon to the 7' round garden bed in the shared lawn area between our house and the new house next door. Part of this area has the above-ground utility boxes (common here in Texas; rarely saw them in Silicon Valley/California).

Unfortunately, because of the slope of the house lots and the narrow area between the houses (lawn with clay and limestone soil), any excessive rain water runs down close to the property line right into this garden bed, mostly into our half of it. As such, a lot of the shredded mulch and some dirt gets washed away into the lawn and sometimes to the sidewalk that is 3' from the edge of this bed.

So, because of the nearly 1" of rain we got between 5am and 6am this morning, a bunch of mulch was all over the lawn. If this were solely our garden bed, there might be options to handle this. But since it is a shared bed, not sure what we'll do. I'd rather not cover the ground with weed block or plastic with rocks/pebbles on top, but I'm not sure what's going to minimize the impact of excessive rain runoff.

Last edited:
DW had her online virtual appointment with the ENT doctor and all went well. After coaching her through the Epley maneuver she is doing much better.

I've been banging my head against the wall for the last day because my trusty old Nikon D90 camera finally died. It has served me extremely well for 11 years but just won't do some simple things any more. Some online research showed that my problem is not uncommon for units about as old as mine, and the Nikon documentation is silent on the error codes. That told me it was probably not fixable. What especially hurt is that I recently bought a couple of new lenses for it.

So DW told me to have a very good beer and then get a new camera.

I ordered a new model Nikon that can use the same excellent lenses I have, so that was good. There will be a bit of a learning curve for the new bells and whistles, but I can handle that.

Then I went into "the archives" and found a 22 oz. bottle of Alaskan Smoked Porter, 2011 vintage. Never had one that old before, but it was absolutely excellent! For the beer geeks in the crowd, the smoky character of this wonderful beer changes all the time, and was still present here, although quite subdued. Still had decent carbonation, and just a delightful experience. Alas, it was the last of my stash so I'll have to head west one of these days to get more.

Day 'started' at 12:30. Took Koda to the ER because he wasn't moving and his leg where he got the leptospirosis vaccine was tender. Very nice Vet. Left at 2am then slept in to 9am. No walk for him today. Granddaughter came over & we made unicorn cookies. Then went to pick up our Starbucks order -- that's when day went south. Sat in drive thru pickup line for 1/2 hour. I'm impatient. Going to figure out how to make frappuccinos

Did a load of laundry and hung it out to dry. Then I cleaned up a big part of the garage in preparation for 4 large wood shop heating panels that UPS said would be delivered today. The garage looks better! :) Unfortunately I got a notice that UPS could not find my address. Considering they deliver as much as 2 or 3 times a week, that seemed a little strange. Evidently they could not figure out the zip code because the four digits at the end of the regular zip code were not separated with a space or dash. The UPS lady I talked to got it straightened out. She said I would hear from the local UPS center within an hour. That was two hours ago. Anyway, my garage looks better!

I have not done this for awhile. Slept in til 6, had coffee with DH and then we did our neighborhood walk. We worked on a crossword puzzle and then I did my work from home. We finished up the puzzle this afternoon. I ordered more puzzle on line as this has become one of our stay at home activities. I made homemade pizza for dinner and now we are just waiting for Survivor to start.

Went to one market where they ave 3 machines and filled 10 one gallon jugs with water.
Then stopped at a drugstore to pick up some box wine, using a $20 certificate I got.
Then to the market. They had everything I needed, although I opted for a 5 pound bag of rice instead of a 2 pound one. Plenty of chicken thighs (on sale for $.99/lb),
One thing about hoarding-you cannot put meat in the closet the way you could with TP

Research patterns, and sewed masks today. I figured out that I have a big face, and scaled up the pattern. Then lengthened the straps that head back towards the ears. Modeled it all in solidworks to clean it up, printed a new pattern, and made the mask. It fits like a charm. The smaller one will become DWs, and the smallest will perhaps go to a child somewhere.

I figured out that I could make a couple jigs to hold the fabric while sewing the constant radius front, and it would be a good start on the assembly line. I could use the waterjet on campus to cut the fixture pieces. A simple redesign in another area would let me fixture and sew the bottom pass. When I described the whole process to DW, she quickly summarized it as "No!"

Worked the yard and focused on garden bed for 4-5 hours. Drove one hour to visit daughter and drop off a few necessities.

Drove home and celebrated the trip with warmed up pizza and leftover birthday cake.

Well, what I didn't do today (so far) is play online bridge. When I try to log into BBO I get the "too many players online" message. Today it's raining dawn until dusk; otherwise I'd be outside gardening or walking.

I’m getting the hang of Animal Crossings New Horizons on the Nintendo Switch (rain all morning helped). It’s quite meditative!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom