What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been smoking a pork butt all afternoon, after having brined it overnight. The young wife has baked some sourdough rolls and made the sauce and the slaw, and we're having pulled pork sandwiches in very short order.

I have been smoking a pork butt all afternoon, after having brined it overnight. The young wife has baked some sourdough rolls and made the sauce and the slaw, and we're having pulled pork sandwiches in very short order.

One of my favorite meals, but with just the two of us I don't cook a butt very often. But I just took two racks of baby back ribs off the BGE and that's always a treat.

I also got my new camera delivered today so I'll have lots of fun learning all the bells and whistles on it.

Looked out my window a few minutes ago and saw this roosting on my deck railing...

Look alive or you might be his next meal. Lol

Last edited:
Went to ranch early this morning and fished then had lunch up at the line shack. After lunch I did some prep work for planting trees next Saturday. Will be planting 20 Juneberry trees along a crick. I also mowed and dug the holes and did other odds and ends around the ranch.
Home and took a bike a couple mile bike ride.

Finished off a bottle of lemon oil on the treadle sewing machine cabinet. Day flying by at warp speed.

I had a great laugh during shopping. Feels like it's been a really long time since I belly-laughed with a stranger. And it all happened grocery shopping.

Standing before a great mountain of yellow onions, in what will prove to be an ill-fated move, I dither about whether to get this onion or that onion, attempting to select a very firm candidate. Instantly, the entire top layer rolls toward the bottom of the slanted display.

Apparently, an onion avalanche can be triggered by selecting a key onion from the center. In horror, I spread my arms and prostrate myself over as many as possible to stem the tide and, oddly, recall the email we received from the store asking us to limit touching anything we don’t intend to buy. And now, I’m stuck in some sort of strange homage to the onion god, bowing before the artfully lettered “Yellow Onions, $0.69/lb.” sign at the top of the display.

An older gentleman in a cowboy hat with a black bandana as his mask (I kid you not) who had been minding his own business over by the bell peppers quickly rushes over, not caring a whit for his own safety, and breaches the 6 foot barrier to render aid.

The Lone Ranger quickly stabilizes the lower edge of the display and manages to corral runaway onions as I gradually extricate myself. Together we pick up the half dozen onions on the floor and carefully put them back on the display. We are both quick learners about what works and build a berm of sorts with the biggest onions at the bottom.

Me: “Thank you, thank you!!

Lone Ranger: “That’s the first time I’ve seen that happen outside of a movie!”

Me: “I know that’s the first time I’ve done it!” I back up 6 feet and offer the now universal “Namaste” gesture and, “Thanks again for your help!”

Moral of the story: Round produce in a slanted display can be unstable and there can be good, kind people around such displays.

LOL - no, it wasn't white. Looks to me like he's out icognito without his sidekick Tonto but even so, apparently willing to rescue damsels in distress in the produce section.

namaste: a respectful greeting said when giving a namaskar.

namaskar:a traditional Indian greeting or gesture of respect, made by bringing the palms together before the face or chest and bowing.

Made my first ever loaf of sourdough bread today. Bought starter at the farmers market and adapted a King Arthur no-knead recipe for mostly whole wheat. Turned out pretty yummy, according to the official taster!

IMG_2384.jpg

Nice long bike ride on a recently reopened state trail. Far more people walking, biking, running on the trail than what I'm used to. Then came home, mowed the grass, flagged my stumps for the utility locate, and killed some weeds. Now set to grill some sausages.

I have been building this greenhouse on our farm.

https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-GreenHouse-Build-Solid-Structure/

My DW, and I spent two days painting on our fully assembled greenhouse, but still need to install the clear TUFTEX panels, and a door to be finished.

-206 dimensional pieces from 41 2"x4"x8's
-5 16'x2"x4" treated
-86 angled cuts
-882 2.5" screws
-2 gallons of white paint
-8 60# bags of quicrete
-18 Tuftex panels

Last edited:
Drove to my condo at the beach today. Beautiful weather. Plan to stay all week and go biking every day. And some walks on the beach. Couple of restaurants nearby are open for take out so I'm good.:)

Got a jug of hot & sour soup and an order of mu-shu mushroom from the local Chinese place (take out of course) and it was magnificent!

Had cocktails before making our supper of shrimp on the barbee.

Now going to smoke some pot and read some Koontz before lights out.

DW and I were doing yard work. A crew was spray sealing the road cracks out front. Unusual for a Sunday, but they were private contractors. Anyway since I have close to 500 feet of asphalt driveway, and its cracked in places. I ran out and struck a deal. $200 to spray all my cracks (driveway cracks, lol) if they could do it today. They took cash��.

DW and I were doing yard work. A crew was spray sealing the road cracks out front. Unusual for a Sunday, but they were private contractors. Anyway since I have close to 500 feet of asphalt driveway, and its cracked in places. I ran out and struck a deal. $200 to spray all my cracks (driveway cracks, lol) if they could do it today. They took cash.
Nice. I have an 18 gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck container full of rocks and some clumps of clay I pulled from the front yard when I prepped a few areas for new plants. I'm expecting the house builder in our area to bring in their dump trucks to take away new house build debris soon. I'm hoping to be able to slip them some cash to take away the rocks, otherwise I'm not sure how I get rid of them.

Last edited:
I set up a Zoom chat between DW and her son, DIL, and granddaughter. She was absolutely thrilled to be able to see them happy and healthy after their
500 mile move to Reno NV.
I ordered a webcam so they could see DW. She said it was the first time in 8 weeks she put on makeup and earrings.:)

Happy day yesterday: I put up the hummingbird feeder about ten days ago and got the first customer. This is about as early as I've ever seen them around here, so a sure sign that summer is near. :dance:

Yesterday sewed up 6 masks. I'm not a seamstress so this took most of the day.

Today was mellower. We've been on a Bond marathon in our household. Watch Skyfall and Spectre. That finishes off our Daniel Craig portion of our marathon... We'll do Pierce Brosnan next... (Saving Sean and Roger for last)

I'm not really Sheltering in Place anymore. Went for a walk this morning (no mask), the went to my son's for a visit (again no mask), cleaned house / cooked, and a final walk (yes, no mask). I have one to wear when shopping. I'm so over this

Tomorrow I'm taking the dog to the groomer. Groomers can attend to 'necessary' needs. I keep a mask in the car so I'm covered

Last edited:
Yesterday, I installed 120 feet of steel bed edging around my laurels and blueberries. I looks much nicer than the linking plastic stuff that always got pushed up out of the ground every winter, but it was an incredible amount of hard work to get it in. I am still very sore today.

Daring day considering the state of current hospital er’s. Bought a new extension ladder and a pole saw and climbed the ladder and used the pole saw to cut down dead branches. Then cleaned moss off the roof of my workshop and sprayed the shingles with wet n forget to clean up mildew. Then removed my cupula and made plans to make a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom