Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 08:34 PM   #721
Recycles dryer sheets

Slep in to about 8am, went for my daily walk. I was texted that our new family Skype event was occurring. DH dropped what he was doing and picked me up and brought me home for
Skype. We weren't able to get that together.

After a nice lunch of hommade soup, we worked in the yard and picked up community compost. Overall a good day.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2020, 03:28 PM   #722
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yesterday I drove to DD's and saw my new Grandson. Well worth whatever small risk there might have been. 5 hrs of driving round trip.

Today I washed a load of jean's that have been stacking up since February. I put them on heavy duty and they washed for 3 hours. DS and I set the woodshed back up after it blew over in a gust of wind a couple of days ago. I broke a cinch strap and bent a lag bolt, but it is back up and leveled. I will anchor it down as soon as I can get an anchor rigged up. In the mean time clothes are drying out on the clothes line.
Old 04-27-2020, 03:44 PM   #723

Went to the beach for my morning walk for the first time in 6 weeks. (Since they closed the beaches here in San Diego.) It was nice, but I'm going to give it another 1-5 weeks to let the non-regulars fade away. At 6:30am there were easily 50 surfers/swimmers/kayakers in the water and over 100 walkers/runners on the sand. Fortunately, it was low tide, so the beach was wide and you could maintain physical separation. My dog was THRILLED to be back at the beach.

Did a quick grocery in-fill run.

Did some chores.

Now I'm hanging out on the interwebs.
Old 04-27-2020, 03:44 PM   #724

I had a huge pile of construction lumber that was just tossed outside during my reno as it was winter. Today I sorted the pile and sorted and saved the good stuff for future projects, and GF cut the unusable wood into firepit size pieces.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:19 PM   #725

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Went to the beach for my morning walk for the first time in 6 weeks. (Since they closed the beaches here in San Diego.) It was nice, but I'm going to give it another 1-5 weeks to let the non-regulars fade away. At 6:30am there were easily 50 surfers/swimmers/kayakers in the water and over 100 walkers/runners on the sand. Fortunately, it was low tide, so the beach was wide and you could maintain physical separation. My dog was THRILLED to be back at the beach.

Did a quick grocery in-fill run.

Did some chores.

Now I'm hanging out on the interwebs.
Shelter in Place has been extended in the Bay Area. Surprised that it's over down there. But I'm so ready to do more than hiking and grocery shopping
Old 04-27-2020, 04:49 PM   #726

Went to ranch and fished till noon. Then spent a few hours at the cabin doing some work on the outside of the cabin.

I dug holes for the tomato plants we will plant toward the end of the week. I will take a bike ride this evening.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:56 PM   #727

made and locked down our RV park reservations for our 1800-mi, 8-day/7-nite trip home. final stock-up grocery run scoring Bounty paper towels and generic TP, both for the house.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
Old 04-27-2020, 04:58 PM   #728

Shampooed another room carpeting and redid two others, it did make a difference the second time. We had no idea the carpets hold so much dirt. Now my back hurts so I'm going to take tomorrow off.

The book on Adobe Premiere Elements (video editing software) arrived so I can finally dig deeper into that. And I found out how to do a "freeze frame" when the video stops for a short period of time, and how to have a graphic or text follow an object in the video. In this case it is a video I made some time back by having a camera/TV transmitter on an R/C airplane, and the text "I am here" follows the point where I'm standing as the airplane does a roll. I'm guessing it takes some pretty sophisticated programming to pull that off in the software but I really have no idea. I feel like a kid with a new toy to play with.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:29 PM   #729
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Workout, walkabout in morning. Checked on my nieces well being, they are in lower NY state.
Slaved over a hot stove to make Black bean soup, will make up care packege for lady friend.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:51 AM   #730

Every day I spend some time editing photos from the shortened trip that we started in March to Arizona.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0784fb.jpg (903.2 KB, 45 views)
Old 04-28-2020, 11:14 AM   #731
Give me a forum ...

Went for a long walk along the river on one side, and home on the other. Near our place saw one of the newly returned Osprey going back to their platform with a stick.

Mate was P.O.'d and sang a John Prine bird version to him: "How can a Pandion haliaetus go to work in the morning, come home in the afternoon with one lousy twig?"

He was still getting reamed out as we passed by..."Have you been hanging out with those damn Seagulls again?"

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 04-28-2020, 11:37 AM   #732

(yesterday) made some veggie soup and went for an evening drive.
This morning the sun is out and I will finish planting some flowers.
Dill shrimp and rice on the menu for dinner.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:48 AM   #733

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Shelter in Place has been extended in the Bay Area. Surprised that it's over down there. But I'm so ready to do more than hiking and grocery shopping
Stay at home orders haven't gone away - just a *limited* reopening of the local beaches for walking/running/swimming/surfing. No sun bathing, no hanging out... They also reopened local parks and trails (which had been shut down completely) for running/walking... but not sitting/playing sports. Parking lots are still closed at the beach, parks, and trailheads.

As for stay at home going away - they are introducing stricter mask guidelines starting May 1st for San Diego County. (I guess delayed to let the folks who haven't acquired any to scrounge up a bandana or mask.)

California (Newsom) has set the stay at home order - so the same order effects us both. Still pretty much limited to groceries and walking... just allowed to walk along the shoreline and on local trails again.
Old 04-28-2020, 03:41 PM   #734

Drove 20 miles to next county to get some lawn mower gas; 100% gasoline, no ethanol. Took daily 3 mile walk; ate some of DW's beef bone broth soup with beef, tomatoes, mushrooms and other assorted veggies. Made a barrel dolly for my gently used 59 gallon French OAk barrel. It was one of my winter projects; I had knocked the hoops off, took each stave and sanded off all the old wine stained wood, reassembled, toasted, and then put the heads in place, then filled with water. With a little luck, I had only one weeping place and I was able to make the proper repair. Thursday, I get to drain and rinse the barrel, put it on the dolly and put in place. Friday, I have 67 gallons of Chilean Chardonnay to pick up, and put in barrel. Initially, 45-50 gallons go in to ferment to allow for thermal expansion, then as fermentation progresses, I will add more juice that was fermenting in stainless steel, until full. But I gotta go, as I was called to make the mussels we're having for starters, then grilling up some marinating pork chops.
Old 04-28-2020, 04:00 PM   #735

Went for a grocery run and when I got back DW was having another episode of vertigo, which happens once or twice a year. Thankfully no more often than that. We were in the middle of setting up a virtual appointment with the Dr about 30 minutes away and their Internet went down. Sigh, so we'll try again tomorrow.

We have two laptops and one desktop computer at home, and DW's iPhone 6S that would suffice. The iPhone wouldn't work because it doesn't have Javascript installed so we went to use the newer laptop which was when their end quit. The iPhone doesn't have Javascript on it because of the security issues. I'm surprised the Dr.'s office would use software needing that because of the HIPPA requirements but maybe those have been fixed? Anyway....

All other things being equal both of us prefer using the desktop system so I briefly looked online for a webcam for later. I should have known - those are harder to find than a 12-pack of Charmin. But at least we have the two laptops that will work when needed. The oldest one has a terrible camera and will need supplemental lighting if we need it but that's easily done.
Old 04-28-2020, 04:40 PM   #736
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Went for a grocery run and when I got back DW was having another episode of vertigo, which happens once or twice a year. Thankfully no more often than that. We were in the middle of setting up a virtual appointment with the Dr about 30 minutes away and their Internet went down. Sigh, so we'll try again tomorrow.

We have two laptops and one desktop computer at home, and DW's iPhone 6S that would suffice. The iPhone wouldn't work because it doesn't have Javascript installed so we went to use the newer laptop which was when their end quit. The iPhone doesn't have Javascript on it because of the security issues. I'm surprised the Dr.'s office would use software needing that because of the HIPPA requirements but maybe those have been fixed? Anyway....

All other things being equal both of us prefer using the desktop system so I briefly looked online for a webcam for later. I should have known - those are harder to find than a 12-pack of Charmin. But at least we have the two laptops that will work when needed. The oldest one has a terrible camera and will need supplemental lighting if we need it but that's easily done.
Javascript is typically deployed on a client side, like a phone or home machine. It's not typically deployed as a server side technology.

I didn't do much today. It's DW'S birthday and I watched her sleep. She's been ill for 3 weeks now and it's not really improving.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:10 PM   #737

Won't go past dog park
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Screenshot_20200428-160836_Photos.jpeg (391.3 KB, 46 views)
Old 04-29-2020, 02:14 PM   #738
Administrator

The Andis hair clipper and trimmer set finally arrived this morning (we ordered it over a month ago), so the young wife cut my hair. She had watched a bunch of Youtube videos in preparation for the big day. And she did a great job! I usually go to the barber every 4 weeks, and my last trip was the end of February, so I have been feeling particularly shaggy lately. I am quite happy with the results and so is she. I may never go back to the barber now.
Old 04-29-2020, 02:57 PM   #739

Very little....

Slept in because DH took the pooch for a walk. Made breakfast for the teens. Watch a Bond movie. Considered making cookies but DH decided he was going to make a red sauce for pasta tonight - so he gets the kitchen.

I literally have done nothing except move laundry through the machines.... Usually I leave the house with the dog in the morning... but not today.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:09 PM   #740

Went out this afternoon to the 7' round garden bed in the shared lawn area between our house and the new house next door. Part of this area has the above-ground utility boxes (common here in Texas; rarely saw them in Silicon Valley/California).

Unfortunately, because of the slope of the house lots and the narrow area between the houses (lawn with clay and limestone soil), any excessive rain water runs down close to the property line right into this garden bed, mostly into our half of it. As such, a lot of the shredded mulch and some dirt gets washed away into the lawn and sometimes to the sidewalk that is 3' from the edge of this bed.

So, because of the nearly 1" of rain we got between 5am and 6am this morning, a bunch of mulch was all over the lawn. If this were solely our garden bed, there might be options to handle this. But since it is a shared bed, not sure what we'll do. I'd rather not cover the ground with weed block or plastic with rocks/pebbles on top, but I'm not sure what's going to minimize the impact of excessive rain runoff.
Closed Thread