What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was planning on pressure washing and repainting our deck table and chairs. Then while talking to DW she wanted to "go look" at some new sets so we took off. Looked in 3 stores and ended up going back to # 2 and purchased a new 7 piece set then spent the 4 hour afternoon assembling it. I am feeling it this morning!

Wow! That's quite an adventure on the spur of the moment! I hope you enjoy your new set, and I hope you set it up where you'll have a nice view. :)

Spent most of today recovering from yesterday's contortions while painting. Woke up, ate a snack, took a nap, ate lunch, took a nap. Shampooed those parts of the carpeting that were inaccessible under heavy furniture that is now moved out of the way. That's enough for today, back to painting trim tomorrow.

I've been excited hearing about everyone getting insurance rebates, so when a letter arrived from Amica I was thrilled. We have two cars, house , camper and umbrella insurance through them, so I knew it would be substantial.

$2.34 :(

Last edited:
I've been excited hearing about everyone getting insurance rebates, so when a letter arrived from Amica I was thrilled. We have wo cars, house , camper and umbrella insurance through them, so I knew it would be substantial.

Just be careful not to blow that dough!

Today is my birthday, so for dinner we are broiling 4 7 ounce lobster tails. with a side of pastaroni angel hair pasta YUM:D

I've been excited hearing about everyone getting insurance rebates, so when a letter arrived from Amica I was thrilled. We have wo cars, house , camper and umbrella insurance through them, so I knew it would be substantial.

I can't wait to get my Amica letter! :facepalm:

Ive been working hard in the garden and yard, so today was a rest day. Slept in late and took an afternoon nap. It was glorious! Afternoon naps are the best, lol.

I removed both front wheels from my recumbent trike for a rebuild. In the past 3 days 4 spokes broke while riding. I guess that is to be expected for a 20+ year old trike. I spent the day removing the slightly corroded 72 spokes and 72 nipples in preparation for a couple of new sets. The Sturmey Archer brakes are solid. After all these years they don't need new brake shoes but the surface corrosion does need to be addressed. A little 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper should do the trick. The rims are no longer shiny but functional after a little rubbing with some compound. I am so sold on the quality and design of these drum brakes. They may not be appropriate for a road bike because of the weight but they are perfect for a recumbent trike.

I will farm out the spoke install and wheel balancing. That is just too "fiddly". Then I will install the new set of tires and tubes and some tweeking during the install and it should be like new. I may be back on the rode by the end of the week. Woo Hoo!

Cheers!

I've been excited hearing about everyone getting insurance rebates, so when a letter arrived from Amica I was thrilled. We have two cars, house , camper and umbrella insurance through them, so I knew it would be substantial.

To be fair, I got a notice that I'm also getting 20% off my auto insurance for two months. A little more beer money.

While trimming some tree limbs this morning a branch brushed the side of my head, caught my hearing aid and flipped it to parts unknown. Searched the brush and leaves for an hour to no avail.

Called Costco for a replacement (covered under insurance) and have to go in tomorrow to fill out paperwork. Will be the first time I've been inside a business since March 13.

Started (re-re-re)cleaning copper pots purchased in Riyadh ~ 32 years ago. The cooking pot was covered with tar/smoke whatever from eons of sitting on an open fire. I had to take a wire brush on a hand drill to remove a lot of it.

There's what appears to be an Arabic 'signature' on the lid, but an Arabic speaker I consulted once couldn't read it and thought it might be Farsi, (conversely I could just have been written by a semi-literate Bedu).

The, rusting at the bottom, jug has had, at one time, repairs made to the handle using a bone.

Last edited:
Big excitement today. Unfortunately, it didn't last long. Heard a boom and the power went out. Good test for the whole house generator, so I fired it up and it worked like a charm. Electrical guys came by in about 15 min and in about 1/2 hour, all was back to normal. Still, nothing like getting to stand around and watch someone work. :D.

I test the generator every month, but it was good to see it work under load. Other than that, not too much going on. Rainy day here.

Yesterday after online church I drove ⅔ of the way to Houston to take something to DFIL - actually a DBIL met me and picked it up so I didn't have to drive all the way into town. Talked with him in the parking lot and turned around to head home. Almost exactly 4 hours round trip. Then grilled a tri-tip and veggies for dinner and watched the NASCAR race I had DVRd while I was gone.

Today I walked with the dog, wrote a letter for our prison ministry, filed a missing package report with USPS (last tracking update was May 8 :mad:), did some prep for a volunteer meeting (ZOOM) this evening, and (unsuccessfully) shopped online for some new bermuda shorts. Guess I'll just keep wearing the ratty ones I have. I think a nap sounds good right now.

Needed some plywood for my next woodworking project. My wood dealer (and other woodworking stores) now only have curbside pickup due to Covid 19. No customers inside. So I ordered over the phone, drove to the wood store, and a guy carried it out and put it in my truck.

Good thing that it was only plywood. I have to see every piece of hardwood before I buy it. If I was governor, the first businesses allowed to reopen would be hardwood lumber dealers and other woodworking supply stores.

While trimming some tree limbs this morning a branch brushed the side of my head, caught my hearing aid and flipped it to parts unknown. Searched the brush and leaves for an hour to no avail.

Called Costco for a replacement (covered under insurance) and have to go in tomorrow to fill out paperwork. Will be the first time I've been inside a business since March 13.

Good thing you have insurance.:) You can take advantage of the Costco visit and restock the TP...:)

Good thing you have insurance.:) You can take advantage of the Costco visit and restock the TP...:)

DW and I were just discussing what else to pick up while there. No charge for the hearing aid but it could be an expensive trip.

Thankfully replacement (once) insurance is included in the purchase price of Costco hearing aids. Learned my lesson about wearing them while working. No more manual labor for me! :D

We painted the bedroom baseboards and three doors. I take off all the door hardware before painting, I long ago gave up on trying to paint around them or tape them off. Shampooed the other half of the carpeting that didn't get done yesterday. Between the painting, carpet cleaning and high humidity outside, things were going to take "forever" to dry so I brought the dehumidifier up from the basement to speed things along.

Picked up a prescription at Walgreens drive-up window and I'm done for the day.

Will be the first time I've been inside a business since March 13.

I went inside a business for the first time in about that long, last Wednesday. It was fun and exhilarating to see other humans, even in masks and 6+ feet away.

But also, despite not being a "nervous Nellie" about it, still I found it to be quite mentally exhausting. I didn't do a thing but rest the next day. So I'd suggest including plenty of flexibility in your schedule the following day, in case you need some "down time" like I did.

Back from the trip to Costco mentioned above.

Guess all the sequestering and avoiding leaving home over the past couple of months has been tougher on some than others - like this motorcyclist who apparently forgot how to ride:

Attachments

• Training wheels.JPG
    Training wheels.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 273
Back from the trip to Costco mentioned above.

Guess all the sequestering and avoiding leaving home over the past couple of months has been tougher on some than others - like this motorcyclist who apparently forgot how to ride:

Naah...someone stole his dual sidecars.

Called Costco for a replacement (covered under insurance) and have to go in tomorrow to fill out paperwork.

Temporary change of plans.

Talked to DD#1 on the way to Costco this AM and she asked if I wanted to borrow their metal detector :facepalm:. Had no idea they even had one, but responded to the offer with an enthusiastic yes.

I did pick up the claims form from Costco but am going to give the metal detector a try first. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Weight workout, went for a run, signed up for Medicare, now sitting in a lab waiting to get a Covid antibody test. Then picking up lunch and a nap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom