What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put a new battery in my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. It's 4 years old but still is a fine phone. Had to unglue the back cover and disassemble half the phone. But all is good now! :cool:
Our Samsung Galaxy S5 Actives have user-replaceable batteries, and they really would benefit from some new batteries. We purchased them as new old stock about three years ago, so it sounds about the right time for a replacement.

Unfortunately, the stock battery replacements may be approaching the age of when these phones were released six years ago. People complain about getting a "new" battery, only to find it doesn't hold a charge as well as their older, less than 100% healthy battery. Probably been sitting in storage for too long. And the 3rd party batteries seem to be a huge hit and miss with them, mostly a miss.

As it is, the S5 Actives are stuck at Android 6, as the chipset can't be upgraded beyond that. In addition, AT&T has refused to provide the patch for BlueBorne. It's listed on Android's site, but AT&T won't filter it through to owners. Thankfully, we don't use our phones for logging into *any* online personal account, nor are they used for wireless payment.

AT&T is probably trying to force users like us to upgrade to a new phone through them and more expensive service. We'll likely find a different phone with a different service provider before we do that. Sounds like I have my "What did you do today" entry coming soon. :LOL:

W2R, I make a meal with fresh shrimp, tomatoe, onions, peppers, garlic, lemon and a bunch of spices, including cajun seasoning, over linguine.

It is close to addicting, it is so good.

I visited some friends in golf shores Alabama, and we went to the fresh fish market where the fishermen dock their boats. That market was selling beautiful freshly caught shrimp for something like $7/lb.

I double up on the shrimp that meal, and it was a big hit with everyone there.

I might have to try an alfredo variation per you favorite restaurant. If you have a recipe, or can describe the ingredients, please post it.

Take care, JP
We got take-out, too. Inspired by your post, I just got out my records and counted: It turns out that we have had take-out or delivery 23 times in the eight and a half weeks since we started sheltering in place, from three different restaurants. :blush:

That's a little embarrassing but on the bright side, it looks like our favorite little restaurant may survive this. When we got our take-out today, there were SIX other cars there picking up take-out. Usually there's none, or maybe one.

We got the same steaming hot shrimp pasta alfredo I have mentioned before, made with lots of fresh, huge Louisiana shrimp and enough Cajun spices to bring tears to your eyes (which is our preference). Yum. :)

Our Samsung Galaxy S5 Actives have user-replaceable batteries, and they really would benefit from some new batteries. We purchased them as new old stock about three years ago, so it sounds about the right time for a replacement.

Unfortunately, the stock battery replacements may be approaching the age of when these phones were released six years ago. People complain about getting a "new" battery, only to find it doesn't hold a charge as well as their older, less than 100% healthy battery. Probably been sitting in storage for too long. And the 3rd party batteries seem to be a huge hit and miss with them, mostly a miss.

As it is, the S5 Actives are stuck at Android 6, as the chipset can't be upgraded beyond that. In addition, AT&T has refused to provide the patch for BlueBorne. It's listed on Android's site, but AT&T won't filter it through to owners. Thankfully, we don't use our phones for logging into *any* online personal account, nor are they used for wireless payment.

AT&T is probably trying to force users like us to upgrade to a new phone through them and more expensive service. We'll likely find a different phone with a different service provider before we do that. Sounds like I have my "What did you do today" entry coming soon. :LOL:

Yeah, they definitely try to get users to buy new phones. My S7 is running Android 9.0 so it's good to go for awhile.

The Circuit of the Americas racetrack in Austin held a "Food Drive" today. Drive into the garages, drop off canned goods or cash for the local food bank, and then drive your car around the 2.4 mile track. 20mph speed limit, but was more like 10mph most of the way. Gorgeous spring day and I had nothing else to do so I went back and got in line again for a second trip around. Really fun to drive around the track, even that slowly. I've seen a couple of races there so it was a very interesting change of perspective.

DD and DS each called for Mother's Day (I actually FaceTimed with DS while driving around the track so he could see it, which was fun). I have placed an order for takeout dinner from a terrific Italian restaurant so it's a very rare no-cooking day for me.

The Circuit of the Americas racetrack in Austin held a "Food Drive" today. Drive into the garages, drop off canned goods or cash for the local food bank, and then drive your car around the 2.4 mile track. 20mph speed limit, but was more like 10mph most of the way. Gorgeous spring day and I had nothing else to do so I went back and got in line again for a second trip around. Really fun to drive around the track, even that slowly. I've seen a couple of races there so it was a very interesting change of perspective.

Please tell me you did this in your RV!! :LOL:

Went to HD after doing some wine work, to get a water heater. Our present 6 year warranty was up 4 years ago, the power vent on the unit has a bearing squealing like a Banshee Indian, and there is no grease zerk to lube. New tank was $1079 plus tax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF:confused::confused: I used to sell a 40 gallon tank for $149 back in late '70's. Must be lined with gold or titanium now. Installation will begin tomorrow after breakfast.

:LOL: I'm sorry, Winemaker; I wasn't laughing at your situation - I was laughing at the "WTF?? :confused::confused:" Yep; that IS quite an increase. I guess I should enter that into the "Pet Peeve of the Day" page - things that increase in price way, WAY faster than the cost of living (e.g., college tuition!).

Went to the grocery store in the morning for some fresh fruit and other pershiable food. A trip down the paper isle had PT, TP, and tissues! Got a 12 pack of 4x TP. I had installed a bidet in one bathroom so our use is down. The store was well stocked and a good amount of meat except pork chops.

Tonight we ordered out from a local pizza place. Last time we did this it was for the Superbowl. That time DW ordered a three meat pizza and added black olive and green pepper. We received a cheese pizza with black olive and green pepper, no meat. I cautioned her when she made the same order today. "Nah, nobody will screw it up twice" she confidently said. I picked up another cheese pizza with black olive and green pepper. [emoji56]

:LOL: I'm sorry, Winemaker; I wasn't laughing at your situation - I was laughing at the "WTF?? :confused::confused:" Yep; that IS quite an increase. I guess I should enter that into the "Pet Peeve of the Day" page - things that increase in price way, WAY faster than the cost of living (e.g., college tuition!).

I can't comment on Mr. Winemaker's location, but I have had three new tanks put into my place over the years, and everyone requires work over and above removing the old and installing the new tank, due to changes in the plumbing codes. At over $100 and hour, plus parts, it adds up fast.

Today, I opened a bottle of "pun intended' red wine made by the Miscreant Project a local winery. It was part of my wine club membership last month. The wine store is locally owned by a former neighbor of mine. I joined the wine club so as to do my duty to support local merchants during this shutdown of most business.

Last edited:
Thanks for supporting local wineries in these peculiar times. Those who need revenue to pay the need all the help they can get. I'm glad I only volunteer at our local winery.

After breakfast I checked the current stages of fermentation of my Chilean and South African juices, we headed to DD and then to my DM for Mother's Day. DD had baked a cake, and we gave the DM the annual flower. She was so happy. When we left at 4, DB and DS came to broil some steaks on the grill for the holiday. WE dropped DD off, the I fixed DW her latest favorite meal, grilled Spanish octopus, roasted potatoes and cheesy broccoli , washed down with some Grenache from last year. What a great day!

We have a Mexican restaurant in town that had just opened in late Jan. We had eaten there quite a bit before the "shelter", and continued to in the mean time. Yesterday afternoon my DD called and ask if we wanted some supper from there as they were at DSnlaw's parents and were coming to us next. We said sure. When they got to the house and started opening the bags,uhohh,5 orders and 3 were wrong. All during the shelter the owner and just a few employees kept it going & it was good. After our state allowed sitdowns to open again he had to hire some new people it seems. Hopefully they will learn fast or they will not survive after all.

This morning I decided to replenish my meat supply at a local market. As I was leaving, there was a store employee throwing out plants that had been frost damaged and wouldn't sell. He put them in shopping carts and told customers to take anything they wanted for free. I stocked up on flowers and some vegetables to be planted next week. I set them all in a sunny window, added a little water, and a few hours later they were all perked up looking great. So I got my summer garden for free!

When they got to the house and started opening the bags,uhohh,5 orders and 3 were wrong. All during the shelter the owner and just a few employees kept it going & it was good. After our state allowed sitdowns to open again he had to hire some new people it seems. Hopefully they will learn fast or they will not survive after all.

DD#2 told me a similar story yesterday.

It appears many of these restaurants had figured out how to do take-out efficiently but when allowed to partially reopen for dining, things fell apart. Some due to new hires not trained properly, others due to trying to add limited capacity sit-down service and continue take-out without adding employees.

The end result is the same - unhappy customers who may not be back, at least for a while.

Some construction is allowed now in our part of PA, so demo started today for our master bath renovation at the main house. It will mean four individuals, two at a time, will be in our house over the next couple of weeks. A slight easing of our "stay away from other people" mode of operation that we've been following since March 14.

I talked to the contractor for a few minutes, reviewing my wishes, then left to come up to the lake house for a few days. I've got tasks to take care of here while DH supervises the renovation. (To be honest, a few days of alone time will be nice and I'm sure DH feels the same).

DH just sent a photo -- the contractor found water damage and a carpenter ant colony behind the tile wall in the old shower. It's just like one of those home improvement shows on HGTV: Oh yuck, we didn't plan for that but it has to be fixed. I just hope the damage is contained to the bathroom and doesn't extend down to the first floor.

Would love to figure out how to make this at home! The local Pappadeaux's has a version they call Pasta Mardigras.

We got take-out, too. Inspired by your post, I just got out my records and counted: It turns out that we have had take-out or delivery 23 times in the eight and a half weeks since we started sheltering in place, from three different restaurants. :blush:

That's a little embarrassing but on the bright side, it looks like our favorite little restaurant may survive this. When we got our take-out today, there were SIX other cars there picking up take-out. Usually there's none, or maybe one.

We got the same steaming hot shrimp pasta alfredo I have mentioned before, made with lots of fresh, huge Louisiana shrimp and enough Cajun spices to bring tears to your eyes (which is our preference). Yum. :)

Dug up my septic tank lid for the septic tank pumping guy. Had to disconnect a sprinkler line that is over the lid before opening the lid and reconnected the line after pumping. Then replaced dirt and sod.

Did some kayak mods. Paddle holder to hold the paddle while fishing. And a fishing rod holder.

Making some camera mounts for indoor photography.

Walked out to the curb before sunrise to pick up the morning paper. Saw what looked like an injured, misshapen duck on the lawn. Upon closer inspection, it was two ducks having sex. OK, whatever. :)

Walked out to the curb before sunrise to pick up the morning paper. Saw what looked like an injured, misshapen duck on the lawn. Upon closer inspection, it was two ducks having sex. OK, whatever. :)

technically I think the correct term for that is mating or breeding..:cool:

technically I think the correct term for that is mating or breeding..:cool:

What did I do today? Looked up "sex" in the dictionary. :D And for the record: "(chiefly with reference to people) sexual activity, including specifically sexual intercourse."

This morning, we took one of our cats for her monthly chemotherapy -- curbside service and consultation with the oncologist by telephone. Later, we ate food we did not prepare in our own house for the first time since March 16th. We stopped at a hot dog place and got takeout, which we ate sitting in the car out at our community garden plot. Then we worked in the garden for a couple hours. It's starting to look organized and ready to grow some nice veggies!

What did I do today? Looked up "sex" in the dictionary. :D And for the record: "(chiefly with reference to people) sexual activity, including specifically sexual intercourse."

Hey don't blame me for that..I didn't make you look...
:LOL:

A nice surprise From TurboTax today. They sent me an email letting me know that the law was changed to retroactively allow credit for the electric vehicle charging station I installed in the garage back in 2018. So I can file an amended return and get $165 back.

The only weird part is that I have to snail mail the amended return instead of e-filing it like the original, but the cost of postage is hardly a deterrent. Looks like TurboTax gets another attaboy, making it well worth what I paid for it (or at least what Fidelity paid for it on my behalf :cool: )

Mowed the front, sides, and some of the back yard. I'm thinking of maybe canceling the mowing service since it seems I'm recovering enough to start doing that again. DW says wait a while, so okay, I'll wait a while then cancel it.

Using those carpet sliders from Amazon, we moved all of the bedroom furniture around in preparation for painting. Only the two dressers and the bed are still in there, and those are all in the middle so I can start cutting in on the ceiling. I may do some of that later on this evening. It never fails to surprise me how much dust can accumulate underneath furniture that is too low to get a vacuum cleaner under it.

I got a haircut, by my regular stylist. I feel like a real human being again. I had to call when I pulled into the parking lot, they let me in, less than 1/2 the stylists are working, every other station is empty and they're taking shifts. The salon is open 7 days a week to clear up the backlog. Everyone wore masks. No waxing of anywhere allowed.

I paid her for three haircuts - the one she gave me today, and the two I missed while we under lockdown. She cried. I did too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom