Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 05:35 PM   #1521
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Did a Kroger run this morning where I dodged around customers and employees trying to keep my six feet of clearance (has everyone forgotten that?). Took my walk, grilled some hot dogs for lunch, then bottled five gallons of saison (beer). I’ve been kegging for fifteen years and had forgotten what a pain cleaning, sanitizing, filling and capping 48 bottles is, vs. one five gallon keg! (The reason I chose to deals with the higher carbonation level of this beer, in case anyone is wondering.)

Busy day. “But what will you do all day if you retire at your age?”
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2020, 05:41 PM   #1522

I spent a couple days helping my late friend's wife with her finances. We pared her monthly bill's by $200 with about another $200 possible as contracts on phone, cable, etc. come due without an impact on her lifestyle. She was dealing with her husband and his alzheimer's and the finances were put on the back burner. I think she will be quite comfortable with the pension she will receive so I am quite relieved.
Old 08-22-2020, 05:49 PM   #1523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I spent a couple days helping my late friend's wife with her finances. We pared her monthly bill's by $200 with about another $200 possible as contracts on phone, cable, etc. come due without an impact on her lifestyle. She was dealing with her husband and his alzheimer's and the finances were put on the back burner. I think she will be quite comfortable with the pension she will receive so I am quite relieved.

Bless you for coming to her aid. Many times the wife is in the dark about what is going on financially.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:49 PM   #1524
Moderator Emeritus

Donut run. Hike / photograph some birds. Oil/wax some cutting boards I'm working on. Lunch pizza run. Putzed around the workshop. Going to grill some pork chops and watch some tv.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:57 PM   #1525

Painted a yard sign on celebrating diversity ([emoji1273][emoji3583][emoji694]️[emoji304]) I like the concept but not the ones that I see online. Put it on the back of an old 18×24 campaign sign. I'll paint over the guy's name once I've got it in the ground
Old 08-24-2020, 03:57 PM   #1526
Administrator

I mowed/bagged all the leaves that have fallen on my lawn since Tropical Storm Isaias barreled through here three weeks ago. It looked like November out there. Amazing the damage that high velocity, salt-laden wind can do to foliage, even aside from knocking the trees down all over the neighborhood.
Old 08-24-2020, 04:00 PM   #1527
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Got up at 5:30 AM for a doctor appointment 60 miles away. DW got up we had a nice breakfast and I left at 7:30. When I went to check in the gal looked at me funny said she didn't think the provider I was seeing was in today! She wasn't, my appointment is next Monday at 8:45! Good thing I know where it's at[emoji16]. It was a nice drive.
Old 08-24-2020, 04:08 PM   #1528

A new Harbor Freight store opened not too far away so I went to see on the way to Lowes for some other things. Neat place, and I thought I showed admirable restraint and only bought two items, one of which I actually plan to use in the near future. One was a hole saw kit and the other was a three-jaw wheel puller, which I have wished mightily for in the past. And of course I had a 20% off Super Coupon with me.

I'd ordered stuff from Harbor Freight via catalog (which they are discontinuing) in the distant past but I'd never set foot in a store until today. A "tool nut" type guy with a credit card and not much self-discipline could get into serious trouble in that store.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:29 PM   #1529
Give me a forum ...

Interesting morning. When I went to get breakfast the Tesla had an error charging last night. First time that's happened and I hadn't a clue where to start other than getting my breakfast. I knew it got an upgrade to the software last night and the charging was interrupted sometime later. After searching through online forums I realized my Tesla wall charger was never configured to be on our home network and it apparently needed a firmware update.

The online documentation suggested how to do it except the password for the device wasn't provided. Said it was on the side of the device, yeah not so much. After chatting with a guy I got to the right area they were able to provide all the missing information. He confirmed the thought the updated software needed the firmware update and he pushed the update to the device. It's added 10kwh since I plugged it so I guess it's working.

Put title in safe deposit box while DW talked to a realtor about buying the lot next door to our house. It's never been developed and DW would like it to stay that way. Apparently it's owned by an divorced couple who still jointly own it. I think maybe we should leave well enough alone but DW wants to buy it.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:43 PM   #1530
Recycles dryer sheets

Last week a friend mailed me some Orgeat. An unexpected surprise!
It's a rainy day with oppressive humidity, so we spent the afternoon trying to concoct the perfect Mai-Tai. Results are promising. More research is called for.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:15 PM   #1531

Rebuilt the last leaking hose bib on the rear of the house. I was going to do all four of them but the last one works fine, doesn't even leak when in use, so I figured "If it ain't broke don't fix it" but I'll have the kits on hand for when it does happen.
Old 08-25-2020, 04:07 PM   #1532
Full time employment: Posting here.

Got out on my bicycle for a 2-1/2 hour, 26 mile very hilly workout today. That’s about twice my normal distance and duration.

Now outside to continue the trimming job on my very large redwood trees. Removing all the lower branches to reduce the wildfire risk.
Old 08-25-2020, 04:37 PM   #1533

We got a new roof. Since we can't travel, we have been doing some stuff around the house, like a lot of my neighbors. So I have been mostly trapped in the house all day, almost like a snow day. I did make potato salad and we had that with dinner.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:51 PM   #1534

Peed in a cup and let he vampires take a few vials of blood at the local lab. Came home ate breakfast, filtered my Chilean and NY Sauvignon Blanc, then bottled. Ran to bottle warehouse for more bottles, then bottled some Syrah Rose and some Valdiguie. Ate a late lunch then picked some peppers and a bowl of cherry tomatoes from garden. Tried to take a nap, but failed miserably. Read another chapter in my latest book, before DW texted me to start dinner. Finished up dinner, then went for daily 3 mile walk. Checked out forum and couple of other websites. Long day, headed for shower.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:21 PM   #1535
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
........... the other was a three-jaw wheel puller, .........
These pullers seem to be one of HF's weaker tools - go gently on it.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:42 AM   #1536
Give me a forum ...

Kroger curb side pick up. Picked tomatoes from the garden.
will have dinner with DS and DGS later today.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:16 AM   #1537
Recycles dryer sheets

It was yesterday, not today, but the dog and I got "skunked" at about 5:30 AM as we were getting started with the day. The puppy was shampooed and no worse for the wear, and I was only a couple minutes late for work after changing all my clothes and showering. When I got home it was clear that I took a good portion of the spraying as my clothes were a stinking mess. What a way to start the day...
Old 08-26-2020, 11:05 AM   #1538
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlH View Post
It was yesterday, not today, but the dog and I got "skunked" at about 5:30 AM as we were getting started with the day. The puppy was shampooed and no worse for the wear, and I was only a couple minutes late for work after changing all my clothes and showering. When I got home it was clear that I took a good portion of the spraying as my clothes were a stinking mess. What a way to start the day...
I can remember this smell outside when I came home one day. A chemical smell I thought, smelled burnt in a weird way. It came from the dogs house. Mr. skunk unloaded big time after day it smelled like skunk.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:45 PM   #1539
Full time employment: Posting here.

Currently watching CalFire aircraft circling the house and making fire retardant drops. Modest size wildfire about 1/2 mile from the house. Two tankers, helicopter and a spotter plane are working the fire. Cannot see what equipment and manpower is on the ground.

Just got a alert from the Sherrif’s office alert for a potential evacuation.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:59 PM   #1540

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1242Vintage View Post
Currently watching CalFire aircraft circling the house and making fire retardant drops. Modest size wildfire about 1/2 mile from the house. Two tankers, helicopter and a spotter plane are working the fire. Cannot see what equipment and manpower is on the ground.

Just got a alert from the Sherrif’s office alert for a potential evacuation.
Gosh, that's gotta be nerve-wracking. Hope you come through ok!
Closed Thread