What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing nothing requires careful planning and considerable imagination. After all, doing nothing is really doing something that just isn’t obvious to others.

When someone asks me why I am doing nothing, I say I am thinking and possibly planning. :D

I went on my bi-weekly grocery store run. Very little traffic in the store and the stock was good (which may change as the COVID numbers run back up). I was even able to score a tub of disinfectant wipes for the first time since February.

Not sure about where you are, but I started going to Costco during senior hours every day or two a couple of months ago. They let us fogies in an hour before normal opening times, and almost every day they have some hard to get item right in the main aisle. I've gotten 5 packs of disinfectant wipes for myself and DD, and seen them there often when I didn't need to buy any. They usually have tons of hand sanitizer. Once I even got lucky and scored a couple of cans of Lysol, although I've never seen any since. So if you are a member you might want to give it a try.

With the surge of Covid cases in Europe, I just read about toilet paper hoarding in Germany and Austria. Yes, it's starting up again. Good grief!

Maybe the thing for me to do tomorrow is to check my inventory of disinfectants and TP, and to replenish now before this déjà vu hits the US.

PS. New word of the day:

Acartohygieiophobia - Fear of running out of toilet paper

Last edited:
DW and I got out on the motorcycle yesterday to go "leaf" looking. It was a short 175 round trip but it was quite enjoyable. I haven't been able to ride since early July due to my torn meniscus and the surgery to repair it, but the Dr. released me on Tues. and this weekend is supposed to be rain all weekend. I take my blessings when I can get them now.����

It's time to plant cool-season veggie here in the SW. I have been preparing the planting beds for it. Instead of breaking up the soil and mixing in manure or soil amendment in situ, I shovel off the top of the soil into a wheel barrow, then mix it really well with soil amendment before refilling the planting bed.

This results in a much better soil that looks like textbook. Of course it takes a lot more labor, hence I allow myself more than 1 week just to do a few hundred square feet.

And I decided to grow more green beans and snap peas, using containers. Growing and planting is good for the soul, and for the body too.

Got a haircut today. In the basement. DW did the cutting, third time, she's getting better with practice.

A Rigid shop vac does a fine job of cleaning up the floor, and I find that the air compressor does a better job of cleaning up me than the shop vac does. So, compressed air first (with due caution, of course) then the shop vac.

It's time to plant cool-season veggie here in the SW. I have been preparing the planting beds for it. Instead of breaking up the soil and mixing in manure or soil amendment in situ, I shovel off the top of the soil into a wheel barrow, then mix it really well with soil amendment before refilling the planting bed.

This results in a much better soil that looks like textbook. Of course it takes a lot more labor, hence I allow myself more than 1 week just to do a few hundred square feet.

And I decided to grow more green beans and snap peas, using containers. Growing and planting is good for the soul, and for the body too.

I will put my garden to bed for the winter at the end of next week. Today, I harvested almost everything that was left and pulled up the plants. The only things remaining are some chard, lettuce, radicchio, poblano peppers and a few stray onions that I missed in August, which I will get next week. I'll till my planting beds over the next week, tilling in some bags of fallen leaves I have collected in my yard. (In the spring, I'll till some aged manure and peat into each bed before planting.) The first week of November, I'll plant my garlic and then work on my seed order for next spring.

Last edited:
Got a haircut today. In the basement. DW did the cutting, third time, she's getting better with practice.

A Rigid shop vac does a fine job of cleaning up the floor, and I find that the air compressor does a better job of cleaning up me than the shop vac does. So, compressed air first (with due caution, of course) then the shop vac.

Yes, I would be extremely cautious with the air compressor. Busted eardrums have to hurt a lot, I imagine. But would the compressed air blow the hair clipping all over the basement, causing more work to clean up?

I will put my garden to bed for the winter at the end of next week. Today, I harvested almost everything that was left and pulled up the plants. The only things remaining are some chard, lettuce, radicchio, poblano peppers and a few stray onions that I missed in August, which I will get next week. I'll till my planting beds over the next week, tilling in some bags of fallen leaves I have collected in my yard. (In the spring, I'll till some aged manure and peat into each bed before planting.) The first week of November, I'll plant my garlic and then work on my seed order for next spring.

Here in the SW, this is the time to plant. In the summer, everything either dies being cooked to a crisp, or stops flowering and setting fruit.

Excellent, thank you!!:cool:

You are welcome. And let's not confuse acartohygieiophobia with papyrophobia.

The latter means "fear of paper". And if one is fearful of paper, what does he use? Corn cob?

Was sunny and 80 today. Did every last bit of yard work I could think of to do!

Yes, I would be extremely cautious with the air compressor. Busted eardrums have to hurt a lot, I imagine.........
Yes, be cautious - if you stick the air nozzle in one ear, don't block the other ear.

Yes, be cautious - if you stick the air nozzle in one ear, don't block the other ear.

Yes. How else do you blow out the ear wax?

Would it come out your nose if you block the other ear?

Last edited:
Pressed a last gallon of cider from the remaining apples picked in our little orchard. It's been a fun hobby and using a blender to chop up the apples before the mash is pressed makes it an easy task.

Voted this morning. First time ever that I haven't voted on Election Day. For the past couple of weeks, something in the back of my head has been telling me to vote early. I don't think the worry is about COVID-19 or the possibility of long lines.

Spent a couple of hours detailing the Mustang for winter top down driving. We can do that in south Texas during the winter months!

2005 Mustang.jpg

Walked down to SJNF to our favorite cliff, too windy at 55° to enjoy the view for long. On the way down we saw 2 mule deer grazing, startled me when we walked up on them. On the way back this one was still eating along the trail, the others, yes there were more hidden in the brush, were back some.

I think they survive only because of numbers. They appear to have less intelligence than ground squirrel. These need to go gather up with others and start migrating. It's not a good time to drive after dark right now. 20201024_121732.jpeg

We went to DGS's 7th Bday party in DS's backyard. We had an energetic game of Risk. We got a nice bonfire going. We went home for lunch and sang the Bday song over Zoom and watched the Bday boy blow out his candles.

I made a nice soup with black beans, chorizo, and greens.

^Risk! We used to have energetic games of risk 40-50 years ago. Turned good friends into fierce enemies for a few hours. Good times.

Off 'n on rainy day today so we stayed inside. I puttered around setting up the new Ultimate 3D biplane that's been sitting in the box for a couple of weeks until I got around to it. One neat feature that I've never had before in an R/C airplane is motor reversing; it will back up! I haven't seen an airplane do that since I saw a Lockheed Constellation back up at an air show a very long time ago. The motor reversing will come in handy to shorten the landing rollout on my backyard too-short "runway".

That brings to mind some possibilities while in the air. All experimentation will begin at an altitude commonly referred to in R/C as "three mistakes high" to give oneself room to recover when things don't go as planned.

Attachments

• EFL16550_A0_SFTQQKUU.jpg
    EFL16550_A0_SFTQQKUU.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 69
Went and looked at a old Lutheran Church that was built in 1900. My son and his future wife will be getting married in it next fall. His future fil has the keys to the old country church. We all had a great visit on a cold wintery day at the church. No plumbing just an outhouse. Lol
Church not to far from her parents ranch.

Turned the furnace back on for the winter. Vented all the radiators. Replaced the screens with the glass in the storm doors. Helped the young wife plant a bunch of Siberian irises that someone gave her.

Paid off the mortgage on the new condo today. Debt-free again. FYI, one of the sunsets (again) from the back porch. Ok, maybe a few more. [emoji4] Life is good.IMG_20201020_171258682.jpegIMG_20201028_180500002.jpegIMG_20201018_181925767.jpegIMG_20201026_175635538_MP.jpeg

Temperatures have been about 60F for many weeks. They dipped a few days ago but are back again. Reaffirms my belief that this is one of the best places in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom