What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently joined an R/C airplane club and went to the flying site today, a well-done site. It has two intersecting runways (grass, not paved) elevated stations to put your airplanes on and save yourself bending a lot, and very important, a porta-potty. Hey, it beats a trek to the treeline. And it being a weekday, I had the whole place to myself!

I took three airplanes and flew all of them. Two had never been flown for lack of a suitable flying site. When I was starting to feel tired I was thinking "I should pack up and go home now" and not 30 seconds later hit the outer branches of a tree on the approach to the runway. The airplane escaped the clutches of the tree unscathed, but I took the warning and packed up after landing. A very enjoyable warm (74°) afternoon. Maybe the last one we'll get this year.

I climbed a ladder over and over - cleaning my gutters. Then I bagged most of the remaining leaves in the yard.

Blew the leaves off roof and then sprayed all the moss with Wet'n'Forget solution. Here in the PNW the moss and algae are relentless.

Informed Amica that my house is now titled to our revocable trust. They informed me the privilege costs me an extra $18 a year. :( Oh well, I'm sure there is a good reason.

Finished my fall work for the season today. All the leaves are cleared, lawn mowed, pool closed, patio furniture in the shed, bonsai plants in garage . . . Of course, didn't do this all today, but it's all finished as of today. Felt good to close the shed with everything put up for the season. Should get a break before the winter shoveling (snow thrower) action starts. Winter can be a long cold season of boredom but at least in the early weeks, it's kind of nice sitting by the fireplace and relaxing with some tea and a book (Kindle).

My gym is closed again for at least four weeks. It's sunny today for a change, so I went for a bike ride for some cardio. The sun felt great, but that low sun angle makes me a little nervous sometimes.

Stretched, showered, and am now baking four loaves of zucchini bread.

Last edited:
I was washing my Mustang convertible in the driveway today when a neighbor was in the street looking at my house. So I turned around and saw this!

Hawk_on_roof.jpg

I don't know what kind of hawk this is, but it sure was big (maybe 15"+ tall.

Yes, the picture doesn't do it justice. I was using my phone camera and not too steady plus being far away. It was a strikingly beautiful bird.

I hope none of your neighbors leave any little dogs out in their back yards. The article says they like to dine on small mammals.

Here in NC many years ago a friend of mine had a tiny dog in her back yard, and she had to swoop in to save the dog from a hawk once. :eek:

I climbed a ladder over and over - cleaning my gutters. Then I bagged most of the remaining leaves in the yard.

OH MY WORD, what is it with men and their ladders!

I have that problem with DH. He sneaks out the ladder behind my back. :facepalm:

I finished my Christmas decorating today. Did laundry and some house cleaning. We ate our meals at home today and I also did an on-line yoga class. I'm restarting my stay at home plan as the virus is out of control here in Iowa. The weather is nice enough here that we had two pleasant neighborhood walks.

We noticed that the water pressure inside the house was "way up" about a week ago. I tested it at over 100psi. :eek: So today, I installed a new water pressure regulator along with reworking some of the exterior plumbing and added a couple of cutoff values. Adjusted the water pressure feeding the house to 50psi. While I was at it I replaced all the exterior pipe insulation in prep for cold weather. Should be good to go now...

I wonder what a plumber would have charged us for this?

Somebody mentioned ladders earlier. :) I happen to own 5 ladders (after giving one away).

Four of them are benign, including two that unfold to 12 ft. The scary one is the 25' extension ladder.

I have spent the last week up and down ladders. I'm hanging drywall on a cathedral ceiling. I have one more half sheet to go and then some 1 foot strips at the peak. Unfortunately the half sheet is directly over the stair well to the lower level. :)

Oh man, hauling 4'x8' drysheets up a scaffold is hard. Imagine dropping one.

The guys who built my high-country home had it easier with tongue-and-groove 5" wide planks to install at up to 25' high. I myself could do that, although craning your neck all day and holding up a stapler has got to be very tiring.

Seven mile walk along the beach, it was a BEAUTIFUL day, worked on handmade mermaid Christmas ornaments for the granddaughters, a nap, then Happy Hour here at home, Chinese take out, and the new Hulu documentary I Am Greta

Tomorrow we are going kayaking. :)

After building trellises for the snap peas using 2x2 redwood lumber and wire fencing, I decided to build some portable planters using cedar fence boards. Boy, these cedar boards are so cheap at $2.50 for a 5"x6' board, you would think they grow on trees.

When I got done, I had the idea of building a small planter box for my sweet 4-year-old grand niece. Then, I thought of burning her name plus some graphics onto the box using my soldering iron. I have never done wood burning, but it turned out to be super easy for my simple design. Then, I sanded the box smooth to make sure no splinters will hurt her little fingers. And I put some sealer on it.

Will give it to her on her visit on Monday (we will all be wearing masks and trying to keep some distance). I already have some flower seeds for her, and some beans, and potting soil. The little girl will be so happy.

Last edited:
Somebody mentioned ladders earlier. :) I happen to own 5 ladders (after giving one away).

Four of them are benign, including two that unfold to 12 ft. The scary one is the 25' extension ladder.
I credit my ladder climbing ability for helping me land the young wife.

When we were first dating, she took me to her parent's summer house on the Jersey shore to meet her dad for the first time. The house was an ancient, gigantic place, four stories tall. Because it was a summer house, it had no heat and was closed up all winter. In the spring, the family would go down to the shore and open up the house for the season. One of the big tasks was cleaning the windows, which were coated with salt spray (it was on the ocean front). Easy enough to do the inside, but the outside could only be cleaned with the windows closed. Her dad had a 40 foot extension ladder to get to the 3rd and 4th floor windows. Seeking to score points with him, I offered to do the windows, which subsequently became my regular duty. I'm convinced that's the only reason he let me have his daughter. Especially since I later capsized his sailboat with his daughter in it.

Last edited:
I dunno about 40' ladder. Even with the 25 footer, when I used it for my high-country home where it is often windy, I had to rig up guy ropes for fear of having the ladder blown off.

I dunno about 40' ladder. Even with the 25 footer, when I used it for my high-country home where it is often windy, I had to rig up guy ropes for fear of having the ladder blown off.

I did once get stuck on my own roof after my ladder (25 ft.) blew over. It took about 20 minutes before the young wife came outside looking for me. Since it was January and I had no coat on, it was a long 20 minutes.

I was more afraid the ladder got blown off with me riding near the top. :)

You folks still using tall ladders really need to assess the risks at your age. (yeah, I know you are all younger than me, but 60+?)

A local fellow I know personally (50+ years old), fell off the top rung of a 12' ladder this Spring and landed on his head (on concrete). He is now in a nursing home paralyzed and in a wheelchair....for the foreseeable future. Plus, he can't speak anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom