What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
The young wife and I went to lunch after church today. In the booth next to us were two couples, about 60 years old, who were discussing their credit cards and debating whether it was better to have 11% interest and points back or 9% interest and no points. Hearing them, it occurred to me that I don't know the interest rate on any of my cards and never have, because in the 36 years I've had a credit card, I've never paid interest. So I've never had any occasion to care.

I've never paid interest. So I've never had any occasion to care.

Same here (and I suspect for most of us here). Yet I constantly get offers from some of them to sign up for a special reduced interest rate for some number of months. Junk mail (or email) of course, but it seems widespread.

Me too. I want no fees and cash back.

Working on a adapter for a motorcycle bag, my indoor FM antenna and taxes.

Church, then unloaded and loaded wine bottles in dishwasher, made omelet w/ salsa,cheese,and bacon, went for daily walk. After walk, unloaded bottles, sanitized them again, and bottled 6 gallons/30 bottles of 2018 Suisun Valley Syrah. Then bottled 5 bottles of homemade sweet Vermouth, cleaned up my mess, and moved about 30 gallons of wine in the refrigerators to cold stabilize. Now sitting at 'puter, awaiting a luscious dinner of grilled pork chops and butternut squash; and cleanup the last of the Syrah that didn't fit in bottles.

This morning I got one of those phone calls that we all dread - - my oldest brother passed away in his sleep last night, at his skilled nursing facility in Honolulu, at age 77. Poor guy. He had been severely disabled (physically, mentally, emotionally) for 18 years since having some serious strokes back in 2002. We have had a long time to come to terms with this eventuality and I know I did a lot of my grieving for him years ago. Still, it is sad.

Meanwhile, the first big parade of Carnival (Mardi Gras) season to pass near our homes started a couple of hours ago. The parade route is just a half block away, so our street is jammed with parked cars and people walking to the parade. We plan to stay home.

Making things a little more dicey, we have a wind advisory and winds up to 45 mph are expected; it has been windy all day. I've been hearing loud marching band music, of course, accompanied by sirens in the background which probably does not mean anything. Hopefully the wind hasn't blown any floats around.

What a day.

Even when you know it is coming that doesn't make it hurt any less. Sorry to hear of this.

Thank you for your kind thoughts, Ronstar, Walt34, and Braumeister. Here he is at age 14, back in 1956 with all of his fairly awesome mental capabilities intact. After Harvard and doing his time in Vietnam, he made a good living from his home by consulting now and then as a programmer and software designer. He was probably the most brilliant and creative man I ever met. After the strokes, he could not even read or think rationally. So tragic.

Attachments

• Bob.JPG
    Bob.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 192
W2R, he was handsome at the young age of 14. :)

A sad day for you, but I hope good memories will help you heal.

Sorry to hear that W2R. I have just known to many that pass to soon. Sad.

Today went to ranch and checked cameras and took a walk. I have been working on making a weather vane from some old windmill blades. Got things cut out and temped together now working on the best way to have the pivot point/rotation part done for the optimal wind speed for the vane to move.

REWahoo, Aja8888, Street, and BbbamI, thank you so much.

As you all know, I am agnostic and not especially religious. But just this once I really, really hope that there actually is a heaven, because I know for sure he would be there. He deserved it if anybody ever did.

And yes, BbbamI, he was very handsome! Smart, too; he was already done with high school and began college at age 14 (later in the year that the photo was taken), having maxed out the SAT's and college boards and took first place in the state wide math competition. He also was the first string quarterback on the varsity football team in high school. But now none of that really matters; he is gone; dust to dust.

W2R so sorry for your loss. It's never easy to lose a sibling.

I'm currently cooking beef short ribs sous vide. They've been cooking for 30 hours and probably will go another 24. Never done this before so I have no idea what to expect. I also started cooking some chilli today, not sure when we are going to eat that. There's plenty in case the short ribs aren't good. [emoji849]

Went to the riverwalk with one of the dogs. The other one is too arthritic to walk more than a few hundred yards. Only in the mid 30s and the sun went away as soon as we were walking. There was a puppy with it's masters, only 8 weeks old, on it's first ever walk outside the home. It was half Great Pyrenees and half Akita, an amazing ball of phoof! It stood under it's master's legs with it's bright eyes taking in everything. It's DM said it was the alpha of the litter, today was a very big day.

Reactions: W2R
Nah, he is not gone, he lives even now in your heart full of fond memories as I can tell by your stories.

W2R, I am so sorry for your loss.

I agree with Robbie that your brother is still alive in your heart and your memories, which is all any of us can hope for once we pass on.

I hope the memories bring you comfort.

REWahoo, Aja8888, Street, and BbbamI, thank you so much.

As you all know, I am agnostic and not especially religious. But just this once I really, really hope that there actually is a heaven, because I know for sure he would be there. He deserved it if anybody ever did.

And yes, BbbamI, he was very handsome! Smart, too; he was already done with high school and began college at age 14 (later in the year that the photo was taken), having maxed out the SAT's and college boards and took first place in the state wide math competition. He also was the first string quarterback on the varsity football team in high school. But now none of that really matters; he is gone; dust to dust.

Wow, he sounds like quite a guy. Exceptional.

You two look alike. Both of you good looking *and* smart.

My sympathy, W2R.

W2R, I am sorry for your loss.

Today we attended a Bon Voyage party for our younger son, who is moving 500 miles away. DW is really torn up about it, but has accepted it as fact.

Just before we left the party, DW and I got him alone,and had a final word. I gave him a greeting card that was about encouragement, and enclosed a check that would cover his moving expenses.

He is a very low key person, but when he looked at the check he said "holy s**t!". I was happy to help him, as I have helped my sons.
Frankly, without seeming like I am bragging, We have more money than we will ever need, and it will be passed to our 4 sons.

Wow, he sounds like quite a guy. Exceptional.

You two look alike. Both of you good looking *and* smart.

My sympathy, W2R.

Aw, thank you, Accidental Retiree! Yes he was quite a guy and BTW, he managed to retire at age 52 or so, give or take a year, which is good because the severe strokes came when he was 60 years old. For my whole life I have always idolized him, as little sisters tend to do with their big brothers especially when their big brothers are amazing like Bob and my other brother, George (who is still doing well and in good health).

Also thanks for the compliment. As you correctly figured out, I changed my avatar to me (in 1965 or 1967 or so). When he and I were together we looked like two peas in a pod, nearly identical. The photos look a little different since I had a summer tan in my photo.

And thank you, MRG, Calico, and Souschef, and anybody I forgot.

I just notified my daughter of her Uncle Bob's death, and as crass as it may seem, I did it via a Facebook post (that only she and her DH can see). Due to distances and life's complexities she never met her Uncle Bob, or corresponded with him, or talked to him on the phone, or anything, so I am hoping that wasn't too awful of a thing for me to do.

I just notified my daughter of her Uncle Bob's death, and as crass as it may seem, I did it via a Facebook post (that only she and her DH can see). Due to distances and life's complexities she never met her Uncle Bob, or corresponded with him, or talked to him on the phone, or anything, so I am hoping that wasn't too awful of a thing for me to do.

She may never have known her Uncle Bob, but I'll bet that she knows how important he was to you, and I'll bet that she will find nothing wrong with how you told her of his passing. My sincere condolences, W2R. May memories of happier times with him be a blessing for you.

W2R, let me add my condolences. The passing of friends and family is a sad time but also a time of fond memories. Take care.

I'm sorry about the loss of your brother, W2R. He sounds like a wonderful person. I agree with Robbie's comment about him living in your heart and memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom