What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week, I shaved down some interior doors that always stick in the summer. Today, I painted the shaved edges. Spoke across the yard with the neighbors. Then the young wife and I took a walk around the neighborhood to enjoy the sun and fresh air. There were a lot of people out walking, some with their dogs. One group of four women were sitting on lawn chairs in a front yard talking to each other, but they were a responsible 6 feet apart. The young wife is making chili for dinner.

I've been meaning to do it for a while so earlier today I took advantage of the probable demand for home gym equipment and listed 450 lbs of excess dumbbells and weight plates on the internet. I should have asked for more...got 6 hits in the first 10 minutes and sold them right away. After I had made a deal someone offered me more than I was asking :LOL:

I kept the deal I made with the first person who made a fair offer.

Went for a walk this morning for the cardio benefits and plan on doing that every day weather permitting. I'm not so diehard on that that I'll go walking in a downpour. Met two very friendly dogs who haven't "got the memo" on social distancing, but that's okay, I like dogs and they were on leashes so if I'd expressed concern the owners would have pulled them back. Yeah, I know, if the virus had been on them I could get it that way but I'm not that concerned about it yet.

I will forego a discretionary trip to Home Depot to get the materials for building shop vac/Dustopper cart combination for a while. WV is now up to eight cases of COVID-19.

Did one more session with the angle grinder and the front porch grinding. According to a level and longer straightedge I'm done, but I was too tired by then to pull out the hose and check drainage. It's supposed to rain tomorrow so I'll just wait to see how well it drains.

DW got a bee in her bonnet over the grass growing and mowed most of the lawn so that's all neat and tidy-looking.

At 7:00 AM I met some ROMEO buddies at Burger King for our usual meet up. BK has a outdoor patio where we met and had coffee, etc. It was 52 F out this morning!

Then I went to Walmart to pick up a few things I forgot to get yesterday.:facepalm:

At noon, I met a friend for lunch at his house. :cool:

At 4:00 PM, I went to DD's house to visit her and plan out her kitchen upgrade this summer.

Back home now and tried to walk the dog in the rain (he hates rain). Maybe later?

DW made beef stew for tonight since our favorite restaurant is closed up like all of them are around here.

Went to my lake house to blow leaves from last Fall. Neve seen so many acorns in the grass. Came home with a pickup truck full of leaves--letting them blow in the wind.

Will return to deal with another mountain of leaves next week. Quite a few fishermen were on the river on a pretty chilly day. The fish are really biting on our lake which is the holy grail or big catfish and big smallmouth fishing.

Had coffee, read e-mail and social media. Went through my list of "stuff to do" I had done the night before, before we left for our lake house for maybe 2 weeks, an hour away. Added chemicals to the hottub, put the snowblower in the garage, snow forecasted for Monday afternoon.

DW is still working, but on indefinite work from home status. We have some minor projects/painting going on at the lake house and figured we would just hang out there, slightly fewer CVID-19 cases there and a lot more rural so why not.

Called in a take out order to the only food serving business in our town of 3100 people for lunch. Drove down a few minutes later and chatted with the owner about how things had been going. She said "so-so" some take out business (state has shut down all restaurant on premises dining) but it is sporadic. I paid my $25 bill and added a 40% tip to it. She looked at
the signed copy and got a little teary eyed and said "Thank you so much."

Drove north the lakehouse and unloaded food and goods for a 2 week stay, DW took another route in her car stopping at a grocery store chain that was purported on social media to be "well stocked" but messaged that many shelves we empty.

Took a 1.8 mile hike in the neighboring state park with our 2 dogs. Came back and, in anticipation of a cold NH week ahead, ran the log splitter in the shed and split some kindling sized red oak and birch. Collected some deadwood on the property and threw it onto the brush pile for a burn on Tuesday after the snowfall.

Poured a favorite lager into a frosty glass and video chatted with 30+ year old relationship friends before making a nice Italian sausage and ravioli dinner with DW and a nice Pinot Noir.

Odd times now. But we are committed to distancing, and finding ways to preserve the things that we value the most in our days.....

Now that I am possibly protecting other people from me on the COVID-19 front, I decided to purchase a washer and dryer for the unfinished house. It took about 4 hours on the phone with Home Depot. Their computers were very slow and the people were extremely busy. After a few false starts and dropped calls, I got it done. They will deliver to my garage and I will set them up.
I have used the local laundromat since I started the house, but it would not be appropriate now and I doubt if they are open. (The governor has limited gatherings to 10 people.) The house is plumbed for the washer and I just put in an outlet for the hot water tank that I can use for the dryer. I will probably also get a pull-out clothes line so I don't have to mess with swapping plugs all the time.

Sitting at the 'puter listening to Acoustic Storm on Pirate Radio out of Key West.......Major Tom didn't make it....again.....every time I hear Bowie I hope "This time"....

Arrived home yesterday from our aborted trip out west. We were almost a week in Page, AZ, and things were closing nearby. We were supposed to go to Moab, UT for two more weeks but just headed for home. On the first day coming back we heard that Moab had closed all lodging so it was for sure the right call, but still disappointing.

DW wanted to finish mowing the grass and did most of that. I cleaned out the bugs from the front porch and garage lights.

She also found a box of anti-viral face masks in a closet, neither one of us remembered buying it. She suspects she did when she had a cold or something. It doesn't have an expiration date on it so I guess they're still good, and the paper of the carton hasn't turned yellow or anything. We'll probably use two of them when we eventually have to go foraging for food.

I wonder if we could swap it for a carton of TP?:)

Attachments

• face masks.jpg
    face masks.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 32
Took a nice break from the sky falling down with COVID-19 to play 18 holes on the private course near our winter condo with a friend who is going home Tuesday morning. The nice thing about golf for me is once I get out there all this other crap disappears.

Shot an 81 with one birdie and one double bogie... one of my better scores of the year.

I signed up for Sirius XM. They have a 3 month free trial. I understand that they'll be bugging me to sing up when it's over, but they didn't take a credit card, so it's not one of those trials where you have to cancel or you get billed monthly until you do cancel. Plus, my car is relatively new so they were sending me crap all the time anyway from that original trial. So, I'm good with fee music until 6/22/20 :)

Went for a walk around the neighborhood. State parks are closed, so no hiking for a while. Started putting new drawer liners in my rolling tool chest. Organized it to the point where I may have 2 empty drawers when I'm done. I'll need to order more tools to fill it.

Laid most of my drip irrigation lines to keep things alive in FL when/if we ever go back north. I'm missing 1 half inch T fitting, other than that I've got it all in place. Still need to bury the lines in some places, and run the drip lines to specific pots and trees. Now I've got to go to the hardware store for the part, which sucks. I guess I'll do it, and pick up a cilantro plant while I'm there. I haven't been anywhere for a few days, and would prefer not to go. But I also don't want to order a $1 part on Amazon and wait 3 days. Decisions, decisions...

I have declared that it is now not supposed to snow here for the rest of this year. The snow blower is fully "summerized" with all the parts that needed greasing and oiling are now greased and oiled, including the axles. Most people ignore that part and then when they need to get the wheels off for other maintenance they find the wheels are rusted to the axles. It's all about an hour job to do it right.

And the lawn mower blade is freshly sharpened. It wasn't all that bad since we don't use the mower much (we hired a mowing service years ago) but once in a while DW decides she wants to do some part that is growing faster than a once-a-week mowing will do do her satisfaction.

I have declared that it is now not supposed to snow here for the rest of this year. The snow blower is fully "summerized" with all the parts that needed greasing and oiling are now greased and oiled, including the axles. Most people ignore that part and then when they need to get the wheels off for other maintenance they find the wheels are rusted to the axles. It's all about an hour job to do it right.

And the lawn mower blade is freshly sharpened. It wasn't all that bad since we don't use the mower much (we hired a mowing service years ago) but once in a while DW decides she wants to do some part that is growing faster than a once-a-week mowing will do do her satisfaction.
This morning it started snowing a little, but it turned to rain and is now falling steadily. So no walk for us today.

Started Fall repairs, tightened up patio furniture so I can power wash and paint for winter protection. Getting dark earlier so noticed a bunch of outdoor lights needed new bulbs. These advertised 20,000 hour LED bulbs are full of it. 2 identical fixtures in virtually the same place and on the same switch. One had a compact fluorescent, the other an LED, both lasted about 2 years of occasional use. Only positive is new led’s cost half of what they did just a couple of years ago..

Made up a comprehensive shopping list for tomorrow and reorganized fridge and freezer to make space as there is talk of locking down my area in a couple of days. Only allowed to go to the nearest grocery store if they order everyone to stay home, and the one close by is horrible! also need to lay in supplies for various house projects I might tackle if stuck at home.

Set an alarm to get up for senior hour at the grocery store. What a waste of oxygen, I'll go whenever next time.

Spent some time in the kitchen and made chille and cornbread. I'm impressed by the cornbread it's my best ever here. At 7750' its tricky to bake.

ETA: After taste testing the cornbread is my best at any altitude. Chille was good too I rehydrated some morel mushrooms to add a little something extra.

20200323_161511.jpeg

Last edited:
Started Fall repairs, tightened up patio furniture so I can power wash and paint for winter protection. Getting dark earlier so noticed a bunch of outdoor lights needed new bulbs.

But it's Spring, and the days are getting longer. Aren't they? Or have I been isolated so long I missed summer?

Worked on the irrigation system, planted more strawberries and zucchini, cleaned up the grill and chimanea, and am currently making chicken stock from leftover rotisserie chicken carcasses.

Its snowing as I write this...

DW went to local grocery store for "Senior Hours", what a zoo! Left at 6:10am, got back at 8:20am. She stood in the bakery section for an hour because of the madness. I got up at 8am, ate breakfast, and smoked 10# of brisket for dinner/freezer.

My GF moved in recently and I'm finishing up a major reno.

Today we brought 6 more boxes out of storage (the garage) and we sorted through them and decided if we're keeping my version or hers. We tossed some junk and filled the 6 empty boxes with stuff to donate. I also went through 4 boxes of books that were stored in the sunroom, sorted and labelled some (book series), kept the ones we haven't read and boxed the others to pass along.

Thought I would try some of the 'old people' hours. Nothing on my list was of much importance. I was at the local Albertsons five minutes before it opened and waited with the others outside. Most people headed right to the TP aisle. I headed left towards flour and sugar and produce. Got my three items (still no white sugar) and thought okay while I am here lets see how the TP is doing. Once I saw a line to even go down the aisle I thought that was darn silly and checked out.

Off to Winco. Thehe parking lot was very busy. Found white sugar and Dawn dish soap my DW had mentioned. Plus a six pack of TP though the shelves were very empty.

I think that I am too early to go to Costco so stop at Home Depot out of curiosity. Find a couple of anti-bacterial liquid soaps for the bathrooms. This HD's self checkout used guns that you needed to pick up. I rolled my eyes. Not a big deal, to the car and cleaned my hands for the third time.

Now finally to Costco. I think I am too early. Wrong. The parking lot was full and there was a line of people outside. I said No Way and headed home.

Back to my peaceful life and watching the market go upwards . . .

DW insisted on an outing for grocery shopping, both of us separately which I thought was a bad idea because of the lack of coordination. I went hunting to the regular store (Martins) and was astonished to see that the produce section looked absolutely normal with the exception of no green seedless grapes. So I got my salad stuff, including jalapeno and habanero peppers.:dance: No boneless skinless chicken breasts, and the meat section looked a bit thin, but no one was going to have to do without. Mainly I just wanted the chicken so didn't buy anything else.

The paper products aisle looked like all the other photos of that in other stores - stripped bare.

DW did get some paper towels at Weis's and she bought two filet mignon and two London broil steaks. I'm not sure what prompted that but we'll grill those.

Went for a walk and saw half a dozen or so others walking around, temperature in the mid 50's at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom