What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations!
Looks like a great day and you maybe hooked. I have bow hunted all my life and I went today nd will go tomorrow. My son harvested a bow buck a few days ago and it was a great evening to spend together. He arrowed this one on my ranch.

Wow! That’s amazing! Do you mind sharing what state?

Went for a long drive w/ DW. It was wet and gray, but we enjoyed our quiet time together and it was still scenic in the lower Cascades. We had lunch in a town I'd been curious about. Curiosity sated, we drove back home and I called my parents.

Wow! That’s amazing! Do you mind sharing what state?

Montana

My passion is outdoors and love to connect with people like you that have conservation in mind. Hunting isn't everyone's thing so I'm always careful about that subject and who will except it.

Last edited:
Watching the Space X launch coverage today. Weather forecast is 50/50 at this point, so fingers crossed. They just had Travis Tritt sing The Star-Spangled Banner and showed some scenes of the launch area. Got me a little teary-eyed. :yawn:

Yesterday the UPS guy rang our doorbell when dropping a package at the front door. They very rarely do that, but the Ring doorbell notifies us anyway due to the motion.

Unfortunately, the button apparently got stuck when he pressed it, and no amount of jiggling on my part could free it. So the doorbell was constantly going off and I had to disconnect it. Troubleshooting was hopeless.

Looked online and found others had the same problem and the solution in all cases was to get a replacement Ring. I wasn't looking forward to that on a Sunday, but it took less than 15 minutes and they are sending me a new one.

I know about all the potential negatives, but we really like the Ring Pro. Bought it almost a year ago and it has been great until this.

Mowed the grass for what I hope is the last time this year. Tomorrow I'll prep the mower for storage over the winter.

With the help of a "tree guy" that I had good experiences hiring before, took a diseased Hemlock down that was growing right on the rocks along the shore of our lake house. Help him drop it and had him cut the "big stuff" with his 20+ inch bar saw. I used my brandy new Kobalt 40 Volt cordless chainsaw (HIGHLY recommend, that thing is a beast on limbs) until the battery ran out, then grabbed my trusty "Husky" 2 cycle saw.

Made two runs with loads of brush and limbs to the transfer station burn pit in my pickup and 16 foot flatbed trailer. Maybe got a bit more than half the brush hauled out, but the trunk is all sectioned, and I'll just work on the rest a little at a time, at least until the snow comes.

He cut a 2" thick cross section of the lower trunk that I am going to make a table out of after I give it the Pentacryl treatment (thank God for YouTube videos!). Maybe I'll post that project in the what we're making thread.

BEAT down now, time to couch and watch football.

Attachments

• 125789638_2798043323766043_9095052144604949085_n.jpg
    125789638_2798043323766043_9095052144604949085_n.jpg
    616.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 125838483_279402730178233_3084569774956723526_n.jpg
    125838483_279402730178233_3084569774956723526_n.jpg
    719.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 125163753_477677659868608_6565249618142687378_n.jpg
    125163753_477677659868608_6565249618142687378_n.jpg
    606.9 KB · Views: 60
Prepped the lawn mower for winter storage. Put the battery on a maintainer, sharpened and oiled the blade (to prevent rust) fogging oil in the cylinder, piston at TDC on compression stroke, scraped the crud off the bottom of the deck.

Also a minor grocery run.

Tuesday is standing date day with Mom (80 years young). She lives up the lane from us. Today brought over the ingredients for Broccoli and Beef and prepped a couple single servings with her for later this week. Have to make sure Mom has healthy meals ready in the fridge. Kid brother, also retired and living close by, joined in on the fun.

Time got away from us and spent most of the day over there.

Got back to the house late afternoon and headed down to the orchard to continue the endless job of trimming trees.

Your shed work seems to go on forever, same as my DIY solar project.

That's OK though. Retirement means you do not have to rush anything, and can take your sweet time.

Tomorrow is clean up day and the sheds go in Thursday and Friday. And then I get to build shelves and a deck!

Who needs a job?

Tuesday is standing date day with Mom (80 years young). She lives up the lane from us. Today brought over the ingredients for Broccoli and Beef and prepped a couple single servings with her for later this week. Have to make sure Mom has healthy meals ready in the fridge. Kid brother, also retired and living close by, joined in on the fun.

Time got away from us and spent most of the day over there.

Got back to the house late afternoon and headed down to the orchard to continue the endless job of trimming trees.

Cherish the time you have with your mom. Mine lived across the country and I only saw her once a year and she died 5 years ago at 102.

Tomorrow is clean up day and the sheds go in Thursday and Friday. And then I get to build shelves and a deck!

Who needs a job?

Well, we will want to see your sheds and building skills, when you get started.

We got the last of our replacement windows installed today. The initial install had a hitch when the last window turned out to be 2" too big for the opening. I couldn't blame them, as it was mislabeled with the right measure. Our house is now as tight as a drum.

Time to take the dog for a walk.

Replaced the main zone circulation pump on the heating system. 3rd time in 2 years I think. I think I got the last early failure replaced under warranty, so I am going to take this one back and see if they will give me another one. But the person who built this house over did everything, and had put a 4th zone in, with circ pump stubbed out for some future need, so this morning I just moved that one on place of the failed one. If the supplier will give me a warranty replacement, I'll keep it as a spare. Also just found out that Home Depot sells them for less than this plumbing supplier does.

Will clean the pellet stove out after lunch, then take the truck and trailer and go get a ton of pellets. Down into the teens tonight....

I have not done it yet, but Wednesday is the day I do the chore of fertilizing the plants all around the house, particularly the veggies.

Because of Covid, we have been home more than in past years, and will continue to be so for perhaps another year. I got more involved into gardening to help my wife, and committed myself to do fertilization weekly with a very dilute solution because of the frequency. The growth of the veggie is quite noticeable with fertilizing.

The last few days, I made several trellises for snap peas. In a couple of months, I hope to have snap peas for stir fry, for soup, for salad, and what other uses I can find on the Web. We also grow a lot more green beans.

The mild winter in the SW is the time to grow edible plants. I think I have convinced my wife to cut back on growing during the horrible summer, which does not give much results due to the heat, yet, requiring huge amounts of water which is wasteful in this arid region.

The veggie garden needs quite a bit of attention to protect it from insects, such as aphids, spider mites, caterpillars, etc... I use neem oil and insecticidal soap which are benign and not harmful to the environment.

Last edited:
I made my Thanksgiving cranberry sauce. It's far better than the commercial stuff IMHO. Less sugary and more like cranberries with a bit of orange tossed in.

I’ve hit two deer over the years. Almost got a third one the other night but was able to slow down enough and he bolted out of the way. Glad you’re ok MRG.

I had one jump over the car, but one of his legs hit the antenna and put a turn on the very end.

Busy day for me:

7:00 am - ROMEO coffee at Burger King
9:00 am - take DW to Dr appt.

Afternoon - Costco and Walmart run, meet a friend to hit some golf balls, dog walk, clean garage, get car washed.

Tonight - Meet three friends and walk for an hour on a local golf course, then go to the Bar for a water/beer/diet coke and snack. I'm the designated driver.

Then home to walk the dog for the late mission (9:30 PM).

The end!

Watching the Space X launch coverage today. Weather forecast is 50/50 at this point, so fingers crossed. They just had Travis Tritt sing The Star-Spangled Banner and showed some scenes of the launch area. Got me a little teary-eyed. :yawn:
I also watched it, and then last night I took the neighbor out to a clear area so we could watch the ISS go over, Found and tracked with ease. I use Heavens-Above for

information. To night I was looking at sky things on the internet and see Jupiter and Saturn clearly visible near the moon soon after sunset. Mars is also visible to the East. So I went out and looked at them.

Roof is being replaced starting today and should go on for a few days. It’s hunker in place time around here! Fortunately, the weather looks to be sunny and cool through the weekend.

Grocery shopping. Gardening. Taking my dog for a drive and a walk. Cooking. Playing the piano. Play Wii tennis. Talking to my daughter on the phone congratulating her for her promotion and pay raise. Another wonderful day in ER.

Made apple cider again, this time while Facetiming with our 3 year old grandson. He was fascinated by the process, as he is a hands-on kid. Got a full gallon of cider from a small dishpan of apple mash.

I made my Thanksgiving cranberry sauce. It's far better than the commercial stuff IMHO. Less sugary and more like cranberries with a bit of orange tossed in.

How do you get it in the proper can shape for serving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom