What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I am curious! Have you made it known where the City of the Subdued Excitement is? Please? :flowers:

Bellingham, Washington.

It's a good thing that excitement is subdued in Bellingham. Last time I was there we were standing on a street corner waiting to cross when a parade of bicyclists passed by, many of whom were naked! :LOL:

It's a good thing that excitement is subdued in Bellingham. Last time I was there we were standing on a street corner waiting to cross when a parade of bicyclists passed by, many of whom were naked! :LOL:

We have a naked bike ride every year in the French Quarter. The tourists love it but IMO the participants are pretty ugly for the most part. TBH I try to avoid going anywhere nearby. LOL Maybe they are better looking in Washington. :)

Spent some time looking into Medicare Advantage plans for DM. She's been listening to Joe Namath talking about all the free stuff she can get with an MA plan, and thinks she wants to switch. I did some research, talked to a rep at AARP about the UHC plans, and think I understand enough to explain some pros and cons to her. Given her age, 91, and the likelihood of having serious health issues, I'm going to try to nudge her into staying with Medicare plus her AARP supplement plan.

Installed floats on the UMX Turbo Timber R/C airplane. The "UM" in the name is for "Ultra Micro" and I forget what the "X" is for. Anyway, it looks deceptively simple. The installation is what (I think) the British with their famed understatement call "a bit fiddley". Three hands isn't enough, you need four. Fortunately I have two pair of locking tweezers to hold things in place while I use one hand to hold the whole thing down and the other to use a screwdriver. It only took two hours.:facepalm:

Attachments

• RC Airplanes (1 of 8).jpg
    RC Airplanes (1 of 8).jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 50
^ very interesting project!

Today we went to BCBS and see what changes will be happening for ACA for us this year. Some changes in coverage of course and 34$ increase in premium per month for two.

Got back yesterday from a short 4 day motorhome trip down to the Smoky Mountains, stayed in Sevierville at a nice RV campground. Drove the Tail of the Dragon in my Jeep, not exactly a sports car, but fun to say I did drive it, both directions no less. Also drove around the Smoky Mountains a bunch more, real pretty scenery. Colors were not as brilliant this year, lacking the bright orange and red. Weather was perfect nice upper 70s/low 80s.

Today at home weather is still upper 70s, so blew and raked up a pile of leaves that ended up probably 20 x 20 x 4 ft. Then burned all the leaves, feeding them into my burn pile area for about 1 hour to get them all done. Leaves nice and dry, so they burned up easily. I have to do the big leaf gathering and burning once per year, rest of the time I just mow using my zero turn mower with my homemade mulching kit. It's about 2 acres of grass that is next to big line of 80-100 ft tall trees. Those trees make a lot of leaves. Then mowed the grass and trimmed along the driveway and walkways. Definitely nice to have this dry warm weather for working outside.

Put the Z-3 roadster to bed for the winter, then scrubbed the Forester inside and out. It gets incredibly dirty during the summer as we go back and forth to the garden. I'm glad we thought to get all the WeatherTech liners and the seat covers as soon as we bought it. I also bundled up my outside fig tree with hopes that it will survive another winter.

Took the last kayak voyage of 2020. Cleaned and tethered the kayak to the garage ceiling. Did another round of lawn sweeping to pick up leaves. And did a controlled burn to get rid of the leaf pile before rain comes in tomorrow.

Looked at my health insurance options for next year (enrollment starts next week) and it looks like about the same $$ as this year - first time in 5 years there hasn't been a huge premium increase. Then worked on pulling together data for tax planning in prep for Roth conversions in the next few weeks.

Went for my annual eye exam and was very excited to learn that there is now a multifocal toric contact lens for my (very unusual) prescription, so the dr. ordered a trial pair. I've worn monovision contacts for more than 15 years but need reading glasses more than I would prefer. Then went to CVS for my 2nd shingles shot. PSA: they are now requiring you fill out the paperwork for any vaccines online and to make an appointment. But they let me do it on my phone and get it done right then as they weren't busy.

Then went to CVS for my 2nd shingles shot. PSA: they are now requiring you fill out the paperwork for any vaccines online and to make an appointment. But they let me do it on my phone and get it done right then as they weren't busy.
Hope you don't have anything important planned for tomorrow. Both the young wife and I were wiped out the day after the second Shingrex shot. I thought I might freeze to death and had piles of blankets on me as I slept all day.

Hope you don't have anything important planned for tomorrow. Both the young wife and I were wiped out the day after the second Shingrex shot. I thought I might freeze to death and had piles of blankets on me as I slept all day.

It's funny how people react differently to this. I had both Shingrex shots this year (months apart) and had no reactions at all, not even arm soreness. DW had them too and only had slight arm soreness.

My first dose of Shingrx left me feeling sore all over for a few days but fortunately I avoided the other symptoms you described.

Nice weather today ahead of a few days of predicted rain so I brewed my Christmas Ale today. Recipe for Festivus Miracle from Northern Brewer here for anyone interested.

Drove down to southern New Hampshire to check out one of the larger gun shops down there--casually & unhurriedly looking for a specific pistol.

Also went to far southern New Hampshire to pick up an Ipad Air that showed in stock. The store was blocked off for appointment only with two shabby looking security folks there backing them up. Not that I should be talking about looking shabby-My last haircut was in August and the last day I shaved was August 20th. I want to hold off until December, so I can get a retired ID card looking like a hobo.

Drove the 2 hours north to home, cooked some dinner, and ordered the same ipad from Apple's military discount site-$539 before my $270 trade in is returned to them.

Now I'm watching some weird Amazon TV series(Tin Star). On season 2, and I still have no idea what it is about. It is entertaining though.

Today was the 11th anniversary of my retirement. Retirement has been even better than I ever imagined. For me, these have been the best years of my life by far.

Today we went out to lunch at an Italian place, and then after lunch we went bird watching over at the lake. We saw hundreds of seagulls and a few large pelicans. Oddly, there weren't any boats out on the lake. Maybe it was too choppy for them. After that, Frank drove us around various parts of New Orleans that we hadn't seen in years, and we remarked on various new buildings and changes. After coming back home, I unpacked two Amazon boxes and a Best Buy package that had been delivered while I was gone. Then I relaxed while checking out the internet and playing my video game for the rest of the afternoon, and had a wonderful nap for an hour. This is so much better than working all day long.

DW & I did something foolish. We cleaned our gutters out ahead of the rain coming in over the next few days. I did not get on my roof, but climbed an extension ladder with DW holding it. There are several high places.....

We decided we are going to try gutter guards. Gutter cleaning services out here in the hinterlands are unreliable.

I am shopping around online for Christmas gifts. If what I have been reading is correct, prices will start going up for online items in the next few weeks as the delivery charges will increase. Because of the record breaking CV infection rate in my area, I am avoiding going into stores unless necessary.

I did get myself one small gift - $8 for a 30 piece Rubbermaid food storage container set.

I am also hunting for a new cell phone since my iPhone 7 bit the dust, and it's well out of warranty.

Last edited:
Noteworthy project was removed an outdated bar in our basement, moved plumbing and electrical, added sink and led’s, and updated as shown. Did everything but countertop and carpet.

IMG_0730.JPG
IMG_0922.JPG
IMG_1658.JPG
IMG_1657.JPG

Looks nice!

Was 80 and beautiful sunshine today. Took advantage of the last day of summer to lift and re-bed a bunch of paver on our front walk and the redo the joints with polymeric sand. Look as good as new! Very satisfying.

I raked and bagged leaves. Many leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom