What did you do today? - 2022 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Full nerd mode.

Completed digitizing our MiniDV tapes. Next step is to break out the segments and label them to quickly find past memories.

Also completed all the programming (Python) parts to fully automate "somewhat intelligent" back up of the key folders on my main computers to local NAS storage and cloud storage.

Last night I went to my old company's summer meeting and met my former colleagues for dinner. It was the first meeting in person since I retired two years ago. I was glad to see everyone and say my goodbyes as I hadn't had a chance to do that. They were all talking about the business meeting the next morning which I'm thankful I didn't have to attend. When former colleagues asked if I missed working I could honestly say I didn't. It was closure and I'm glad I went. I'm also glad I never have to go again!

DS and DGS#1 spent the night and here today, DD and DGS#2 coming over later today.
All here to help us say goodby to Best Dog ever. DGS#1 drew us a picture and brought a stuffed dog for us to have. ( he has a hamster stuffy we found after his pet hamster died, he sleeps with it at night, so thought this dog stuffy would help us---so sweet!)

His time has come, we've been dealing with Canine Dementia for a couple of years.
Sad times here, but a necessary loving thing to do when we bring fur babies into the house.

My truck is still partially loaded from the last trip across the mountains. I am heading out to unload it, and then do some repairs and work on it, install the 5th wheel hitch and get ready for our 4th of July camping trip.
Our neighborhood is more like the landing scene of Apocalypse Now and less like most of the US, and our dogs don't care for that. We always go camping where fireworks are prohibited, up in the National Forest near Mount Rainier.

Last edited:
Climbed up an extension ladder (with DW anxiously watching) to nail back a piece of sheet aluminum over the wood just below the roof line over the garage that blew loose during a thunderstorm a few days ago. Naturally it was the part right at the peak of the roof. I hit it about four times with a 15 gauge nail gun and got back down. It took longer for us to get the ladder in place and put it back than to actually do the nailing job, which lasted at most 10 seconds.

Yeah, it made me nervous. If I'd fallen it would certainly have been fatal. But it was such a simple job, and with the nail gun it was a one-handed job, leaving the other hand firmly (very firmly!) on the ladder. And I was careful to heed the advice multiple firefighters gave me about ladders over the years - "keep your waist inside the rails".

Went back inside, took an hour-long nap, then mowed the rear part of the yard, finishing the mowing job I'd started yesterday evening.

Climbed up an extension ladder...
:nonono:

If I'd fallen it would certainly have been fatal.
:facepalm:

I had a similar job to do yesterday, a repair to an attic vent near the roof peak of our very tall garage, about 20 feet above ground. A long way up a 24ft extension ladder, but my 19 year old grandson got it done in a few minutes.

No way in heck was I about to climb up there...:)

you have to climb up in that crow's nest
IMG_20190906_091056.jpg

to get this view :)
IMG_20190906_080906.jpg

you have to climb the 100' straight ladder on the tower crane
IMG_20170208_124441.jpg

to look down on the little cranes and people below :)
IMG_20170213_154240.jpg

Went out to the boat and saw the mast cut, looks good, a little below the top of the radar. I measured and he chopped off 16 inches. Only needed 4 for clearance so I think I got got a whole foot off the top of the radar. Perfect.

Spent the rest of the day down in the engine room and changed all the racors and 2 of the easy (starboard) fuel filters. Did the pump up plunger with the brass nut on the filter manifold cracked and filled up both new (and empty) fuel filters. I knew because I could see the bubbles after 30 to 40 pumps. And when the diesel squirts out and hits you in the chest, you're done. Tightened the bleed nut and called it good.

Crawled out the engine room and fired up the starboard engine, fired right up. Seemed to fire extra easy too. Those primary racors were plenty dirty.

Still need to do the port engine filters and both raw water impellers and then we're ready to move.

Went out to the boat and saw the mast cut, looks good, a little below the top of the radar. I measured and he chopped off 16 inches. Only needed 4 for clearance so I think I got got a whole foot off the top of the radar. Perfect.

Spent the rest of the day down in the engine room and changed all the racors and 2 of the easy (starboard) fuel filters. Did the pump up plunger with the brass nut on the filter manifold cracked and filled up both new (and empty) fuel filters. I knew because I could see the bubbles after 30 to 40 pumps. And when the diesel squirts out and hits you in the chest, you're done. Tightened the bleed nut and called it good.

Crawled out the engine room and fired up the starboard engine, fired right up. Seemed to fire extra easy too. Those primary racors were plenty dirty.

Still need to do the port engine filters and both raw water impellers and then we're ready to move.

So, if I remember right, it will take a day to move to your boat to its new home, right?

Yup, 85 miles at 8 knots. Ten hour boat ride - :)

Not yet, I promised first dibs to the captain.

He lives on his boat in Alameda but does charters out of San Francisco. These are late afternoon when traffic (road) is the pits. Talking hour and a half. With a boat he could be there in 15 minutes. The 21 foot Chris Craft with the 150 OB that does 35 knots would be perfect.

Finally took a closer look at an old pocket watch that was among my dad's personal effects. It's a gold Elgin DeLuxe in a fine velvet case inscribed on the back with my great-grandfather's initials in large, ornate script. On the keychain there's a small golden pocketknife and an accurate reproduction of a 1942 Illinois license plate. Based on the condition of the case I'd guess that it wasn't merely a keepsake but actually got some use back in the day.

I wound it up and it actually worked! :dance: I then set the time and it ran for about 45 additional seconds, briefly ran backwards, and then stopped. :( Perhaps I should have been a bit more careful with an 80+ year-old watch, if indeed it dates to 1942.

Somewhere in the U.S. there is someone with the tools and experience to fix the watch. There is a much larger pool of people who will claim to be able to fix the watch and would then deliver a large pile of parts and say, "nope - can't be fixed." :D

Not yet, I promised first dibs to the captain.

He lives on his boat in Alameda but does charters out of San Francisco. These are late afternoon when traffic (road) is the pits. Talking hour and a half. With a boat he could be there in 15 minutes. The 21 foot Chris Craft with the 150 OB that does 35 knots would be perfect.

Wow, 90 minutes to go perhaps 20 miles. I am glad I don't have to do that.

Cutting across the bay is what? Perhaps 5 miles?

We're at the lake house in Maine. Just watched a bald eagle fly past the end of our dock. Sadly, no picture.

I'm impressed!!! More power to you!

I get it. Climbing a tall ladder or on the outside of a building, or even inside a glass elevator, makes me nervous as all get out. But going orders of magnitude higher in an airplane, even one with the door open, with no visible means of support underneath bothers me not a bit. Go figure.

I get it. Climbing a tall ladder or on the outside of a building, or even inside a glass elevator, makes me nervous as all get out. But going orders of magnitude higher in an airplane, even one with the door open, with no visible means of support underneath bothers me not a bit. Go figure.

Exactly. Makes no sense whatsoever, but the same is true for me as well.

I once knew a guy who made his living changing the light bulbs atop radio/TV antenna towers, water towers, etc. You know, those blinking red lights.

He charged $1 per foot of height and made a nice living at it. That was long ago, so correcting for inflation, that would be close to $5 per foot today.

^^^ These guys are safety conscious. They have 2 safety lines, and attach one before detaching the other.

See video below.

Got back from a trip to my FL snowbird place last week. Back in January had ordered new hurricane rated windows to replace some old crappy vinyl film windows on my patio room. 5 months to get the custom sized windows. I had them installed as part of the order and contract. But had to go down there for the installation. Pretty significant BTD as these were 5 large approx 5x5 ft windows. Not cheap at all, the hurricane glass is very expensive.

While there I removed an interior wall in a different room. Rerouted and moved some electrical wires, plugs and switches. Put some temporary wall covering as i also need to move and change a door opening. Will finish up later in the year.

Three days travel (2 x 1.5 days one way), three days working. Glad to be back home. Busy 6 days total.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom