What did you do today? - 2022 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
DW and I went out for a nice lunch yesterday, perfect weather with patio seating. Today I’ve spend much of the day looking over options for homeowners insurance.

Did a city walk of a little over 4 miles, going back to something I did last winter.

This morning, I got up early and made cranberry scones with walnut honey butter to put on them. Then I ironed the linen tablecloth and napkins, got out the china, silver and crystal and set the table. The young wife made smoked chicken and butternut squash hash (I smoked the chicken last week), which I topped with poached eggs. Then we sat down to the same New Year's Day brunch we have enjoyed every year since 1990, accompanied by a nice bottle of Veuve Clicquot. After cleaning up, I took a nap.

Now, I've written my checks for my property and auto taxes due this month, looked up and tallied my year end balances in the various portfolio accounts and checked and formally opened my comprehensive spreadsheet for 2022.

Happy New Year to all!

Thanks for starting a new thread, and hooray for 2022! Let's hope it turns out to be a great improvement compared with 2021. :D

Most of today was relaxing and pretty boring to write about, though fun. I did all my usual New Years chores like changing out the batteries in the keypad entry devices on all my exterior doors. Shrimp tacos for lunch with Frank, and then I continued working on my financial spreadsheet, trying to close out 2021 to the extent possible. Making good progress! :dance:

Hope you all are enjoying the new year, too.

Rainy foggy day. Spent the day reviewing study material for the IRS VITA exam.

Today I took DW out for breakfast and then we returned her daughter's little dog we kept overnight as a favor to her.

This afternoon, as the temps outside were in the 80's, I cut down and bagged my 6' tall Canna lillies that were finally going to seed. Since tomorrow is going to be 50 degrees colder out (30 F or so), I decided to save them from a frost kill. (like it really matters!)

Then I watched the Bowl games. In between all of this were dog walks and neighbor visits.

Our children came to visit and had lunch with us. After lunch, we played a card game.

Not much drinking today as we did a lot of it on Christmas Day, and just shared a bottle of champagne.

I did absolutely nothing! I feel terrible when that happens. It was a very cold day, and we have about 1 dozen days a year where the temps just aren't that fun to be out in. Today was one of those days.
Did my year end finance number and read my book. Tomorrow look out though, I'm headed for the outdoors and will spend the day at the cabin.

Did some gardening. Cut down all the perennial Rudbeckia and Echinacea stalks - always a debate whether to leave them standing for the birds to eat the seeds but I never seem to see the birds on the ones I do leave up. Also did a final leaf rake up - the English oak will continue to drop leaves until spring but enough is enough.

In the morning I updated my financial spreadsheet to reflect EOY results (of course). In the afternoon, I cooked a big spaghetti dinner for the kids and grandkids. It is nice to have them all nearby.

WE had my DD & family over for the traditional meal of turnup greens, blackeyed peas, and ham. Afterwards we played a few rounds of Uno which was enjoyable. Then after they left we watched the Sugar bowl because it was all that was on.

Took DW to a nice breakfast, took down our outside Christmas lights/decorations, went for a long walk, updated year end financials, out for Neapolitan pizza dinner, watched “No Time To Die” the new 007 movie and misc chores. Nice day!

13 mile walk today. Planning 5 miles a day in January, so 16 in 2 days so far.

Yesterday took down all the Christmas decorations, except for the tree. That comes down today.
Updated year end financials.
Will pay bills tomorrow.
Neighbors home from their trip, so took over packages that had been delivered while they were gone.
cold and windy today, so a good day to stay in.

Seeing that outdoor temps dropped over 50 F overnight, my tire pressure monitoring system on our newer car indicated tires are low (expected). I fired up my 5 HP garage air compressor and added air to all tires in both cars. No tire rotations due for a while so this had to be done.

Now back to the NFL football games. :D

Yesterday was very busy in a good way. Went to the farmers' market to stock up on fresh veggies, then after noticing that the weather forecast continued to call for lower overnight temps I decided to winterize the RV water system. Fortunately I had just enough of the pink antifreeze leftover from last year, because there was none to be found in town. While it was in the driveway, I brought in and washed all of the bedding, then returned it nicely folded and ready to go. While the laundry was drying I took down the outdoor Christmas decorations, figuring it was much nicer to do it in 75 degree weather than 45. Watched Texas men's basketball game (I had recorded it) and then bowl games the rest of the day. Made Hoppin John in the pressure cooker for dinner. Oh and I made a lot of progress on the sweater I'm knitting! A good start to 2022!

Drove my mum home after she's been visiting for New Years. It's a 3 hours trip including a short ferry crossing. Stopped for hot dogs after 2 hours. And then she made me home cooked food for dinner. Well worth the trip alone!

DW took down the 4' artificial Christmas tree, which consisted of placing a plastic bag over it and taking it to the downstairs storage room and then the table it was on out to the back porch. I cheered.

We will take our two-foot tree down tomorrow, which consists of collecting up all the ornaments the cat has flung on the floor, taking the last few off the tree itself and throwing it in our brush pile out by the back fence.

DW took down our tree an hour ago while I took a nap on the couch after watching the Bears game. Now watching The Maid waiting for Yellowstone. Big TV and couch day.

Pretty lowkey today, after hosting some family for Christmas luncheon yesterday. Returned the decorations to their storage bins after everyone left. Today was finalizing end of year numbers, an actual workout (yay me!!), and a soak in the hot tub. 60's today and 4-6 inches of snow tomorrow...what a start to the year!

I took down outside Christmas decorations, while DW took down the inside ones. Then we put all into the storage bins from attic a and took them back up there. Then I went to Panda House for take out orange chicken. Really exciting day around here.

Snow day here in Virginia. I got out just before it changed over from rain and put one car in the garage, and moved the other to the end nearer the street.

Thought I would have to drive this afternoon, but that trip has been delayed a day.

Split some ash for stove and will be going ice fishing around noon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom