What do you want for Christmas?

A Hensley hitch for the Airstream. DS and nephew are coming for Christmas dinner. Our project for the day (and their gift to us) is working with DH to attach it to our AS Dream.

No more white knuckles when 18 wheelers blow by you - priceless

Absolutely nothing.

Several years ago, DW and I agreed to not exchange gifts and it's made the season so much more enjoyable. We do stuff each other's stockings with some small tokens like candy, but that's it.

Same thing with DF. I think he was relieved not to have to pretend he liked whatever we gave him. After he died this year we cleaned out his house and found shirts we'd given him decades ago still in their original wrappings.

I'm at that stage, I have a shirt I got last Christmas still unwrapped.... :blush:

Long answer: We buy what we want or need when we want or need it. No use buying garbage to fill up the landfill.

Short answer: not a doggone thing.

I suppose a Tesla Model S and 6 years of paid COBRA for healthcare is wishful thinking. So, I’ll get a new iPhone for work and will ask DW for a couple of sweaters and a book or two.

The kid in me says that a Mavic drone would be neat for exploring some of the scenic natural areas we visit, in a way that can’t be done on foot while hiking. We saw a fellow using one during our fall trip. Had never seen one in person before. Never stop marveling at technology these days!

But realistically, wouldn’t have time to use it, and don’t want to pile up more things in the house. We are fortunate to have already everything we really want or need.

So, all I really want is a nice, happy day with DW, a day when she is relatively clear and we can spend some time reminiscing together about past years, and talking, and maybe watching a movie - she loves “The Sound of Music” around the holidays.

I am surprised with 55 comments that no one has listed the only thing men really want. Men, especially me, are so simple. All I really want is a passionate physical encounter with DW.

Anyone disagree?

Not much. We do tend to buy for ourselves more during this time of year to take advantage of perceived discounts and smaller shipping charges.

Eggnog and a generous supply of quality spiced rum.

After the holidays, we rent a couple of oceanfront condos for a month and invite siblings, and inlaws (and outlaws?) living in the frozen tundra to come stay and thaw out. Best gift ever is family visiting us. :dance:

Merry Christmas!

Nothing. We stopped exchanging gifts. There is nothing either of us wants or needs. And if there is, we just buy it. This year I did buy DW a small box of good chocolate.

We have asked our children not to buy us gifts but to make a donation to the food bank in our name. They now do this and we appreciate it.

We did buy gifts for our son. He gave us a list which we worked on line. I don't like to shop, I don't like to go to shopping malls. This works well for me.

As others have already mentioned, time with family is the greatest gift I could receive. Love having kids and grandkids around.
I have monthly get togethers with siblings, as we all live within 30 minutes of each other, so we still have our yearly holiday gathering with nieces/nephews, et all, sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Family time--Priceless!!

I don't like to shop, I don't like to go to shopping malls.

Yeesh, I can't even remember the last time I've been in a mall, or did Christmas shopping at a B&M. At least 15 years. All of my Christmas shopping is done online.

I moved recently and so for the first time in many years actually have a list of 'stuff for the new digs' but world peace it still at the top of the list along with happy, healthy friends and family. I could also use a sackful of cash to help offset the reno expenses... but more practically:

2 matching cupolas, one with a wind vane.
A new bench scraper with nice wood handle (mine got lost in move and I miss it when baking)
Carolers at the door on Christmas eve.

Computer tech support. My laptop takes a while to connect to wifi, my printer won't print, and I just bought my first smartphone and need to start setting it up. Hoping my nephews and nieces will help when I see them at Christmas.

A new car - current car is 10 years old. I have the cash and a couple of models that I'm interested in. I dislike dealing with car salesman and the whole buying process so have been procrastinating. But unlike many on this thread, I'm okay with shopping malls.

Last edited:
Always a problem since we both have everything we need or want. Our interests are generally inexpensive anyway.

I really have what I want this season. I have a new knee that is 10 weeks old. Walking is so nice to do without a brace and cane.

Cheers!

Always a problem since we both have everything we need or want. Our interests are generally inexpensive anyway.

I really have what I want this season. I have a new knee that is 10 weeks old. Walking is so nice to do without a brace and cane.

Cheers!

In my experience, a more seasoned 12-14 week old knee is preferred. Much more broke in[emoji1305]

A new car - current car is 10 years old. I have the cash and a couple of models that I'm interested in. I dislike dealing with car salesman and the whole buying process so have been procrastinating. But unlike many on this thread, I'm okay with shopping malls.

I hate negotiating prices with car salesman and refuse to do it. We bought our last two cars through Costco and it was a very pleasant experience.

I used a link on Costco's website to say what kind of car I wanted to test drive. I did this for Jeep, Honda and Toyota. They sent an email back giving me the name of a dealership, salesperson and phone number. I called and made an appointment then test drove all the cars I was interested in.

When I decided what car I wanted to buy, I contacted the salesperson. Costco pre-negotiates the price so there is no haggling. We paid cash but they still sent us to talk to the finance guy who played the disappointed Father when I told him we wouldn't be purchasing the extended warranty.

If you have a Costco near you, you might want to check it out. It would be worth the annual membership cost IMO.

DW and I just finished putting together a new set of bunk beds for the grandkids. Three generations under one roof for Christmas. All our wishes fulfilled.

Whoops, forgot Greatgrandma. She's in. We'll drive out to PA and pick her up next week. Make that four generations.
We would fly her out but lost her at the Philly airport a few years ago. :)

Christmas Eve and morning with DH and DD ( she lives out of state).

This year all presents went into funds to put on a XMAS eve meal for 120 at a local church. I got 20 people to help put it on with me. I'm feeling excitement (joy + fear) about this, but all the details are in order. Including donations of 40 dozen cookies!

This year all presents went into funds to put on a XMAS eve meal for 120 at a local church. I got 20 people to help put it on with me. I'm feeling excitement (joy + fear) about this, but all the details are in order. Including donations of 40 dozen cookies!

Awesome!!

Near term, family peace. World peace will come at a time we can’t predict

Back
Top Bottom