What do you want for Christmas?

Curmudgeon

Recycles dryer sheets
(Or, whatever holiday you celebrate!)

I'm always hard to buy for... after a lifetime spent collecting the things I needed or wanted, there's really not much I feel I want or need now. I'm really grateful just to have time, which is something I always lacked in the past. So when family asks me what I want for Christmas, my answer is usually 'nothing, really'. For whatever reason that answer doesn't go over well.

What do YOU folks want for Christmas? Anything notable on your wish list for this year? Let's keep it reasonable, because no one's buying you a Lamborghini; the politicians aren't going to do what you want; and Scarlett Johansson is not available. :cool:

The kids asked DW and I what we would like for Christmas. We told them to come and visit and bring us some of their cookies. Funny, but now that we have more than enough $$, we don't much care...

I ask for donations in my name to worthy charities. I don't need more stuff.

I asked my MIL for some of her cookies and homemade fruitcake. Delicious! And I normally don't like fruitcake.

I asked DH for a new iPad. I also came up with a list of other smaller things for friends and family I exchange with. One thing I love to get as a gift is Origins Smoothing Soufflé lotion. I can't justify buying it myself but love using it. A perfect gift!

World peace... but more realistically a flannel shirt, a mug warmer, and a bottle of fountain pen ink.

A white Christmas!

World peace as a backup cause I don't think it's going to snow. DW told me to get a bottle of Absinthe for the holidays.

Hope everyone gets their wishes.

Last edited:
A winning lottery ticket. I'm not greedy, I don't need $100 million. I'd settle for $1 million. That would allow me to never work again if I live modestly.

A Hensley hitch for the Airstream. DS and nephew are coming for Christmas dinner. Our project for the day (and their gift to us) is working with DH to attach it to our AS Dream.

Absolutely nothing.

Several years ago, DW and I agreed to not exchange gifts and it's made the season so much more enjoyable. We do stuff each other's stockings with some small tokens like candy, but that's it.

Same thing with DF. I think he was relieved not to have to pretend he liked whatever we gave him. After he died this year we cleaned out his house and found shirts we'd given him decades ago still in their original wrappings.

World peace... but more realistically a flannel shirt, a mug warmer, and a bottle of fountain pen ink.

World peace sounds good to me, too! Right at the top of the list. I have never seen it, so I suppose this would be in the category of a novelty gift. :hide:

But more realistically, I'd like a couple of things I know I am going to get:

(1) A fresh, brand new 2018 would be perfect, hopefully with a continuation of the stock market rise that we have been seeing.

(2) Also I'd like to be done with the holidays because they cause so many to suffer with holiday blues. I know for sure I will get this too.

As for stuff, who cares, I don't exchange gifts and can buy what I want. So here's some stuff that I will probably buy eventually:

(1) An SUV (don't know what kind!).

(2) Some of those socks with a non-slip coating on the bottom, more practical with my wooden floors if I am not wearing shoes in the house but want the warmth of socks.

Last edited:
I forgot I also want one of those 2018 Rachel Dolezal calendars

Fun, lots of fun!

Sitting around the fire drinking hot toddies and watching Christmas movies, eating fine foods and drinking primo spirits. Visiting family and celebrating. Helping those with less.

Bluetooth earbuds and a new wetsuit. If Santa doesn’t get the message, I’ll buy them myself after Christmas.

Something I sort of want, but realize it’s an unnecessary extravagance, is an espresso machine. We could afford to spend $1000 on the one I’ve been eyeing, but that feels like an awful lot of money for my one cup of coffee per day.

Something I sort of want, but realize it’s an unnecessary extravagance, is an espresso machine. We could afford to spend $1000 on the one I’ve been eyeing, but that feels like an awful lot of money for my one cup of coffee per day.

+1

I have a hard enough time sleeping now, after only 1 cup of coffee before 11 AM. With my luck, I'd buy the thing and then find out I couldn't tolerate any caffeine at all. :rolleyes: Would have been nice to have back in my 20's, though!

So that's only $2.75 per day if you use it for one year. 27 cents a day if it lasts 10 years. Sounds affordable.
But still way more than I'd ever pay for something that makes coffee!

Rare event: a good movie

The movie "Wonder Woman" on Blu-ray. I only go to about one movie per year, but earlier this year I took DW and 3 daughters to see this film.

It's just a very well done story. As a novelist in my spare time (when I RE I'll write full time) I am a student of storytelling. WW was presented in classic Hero's Journey fashion, with good character development and a solid, coherent plot. Too often, modern movies economize on those elements and then bombard the viewer with special effects to fill the gap. No thank you.

WW had a few action scenes but they were not what carried the movie. Sacrifice enables the hero to understand and fulfill her destiny. I will watch this one multiple times.

Honestly, DW and I usually purchase things as we need them, so x-mas wish list becomes rather moot at end of year.

But hey, since you're asking: Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GMaster Lens :D

We have the same problems in our household. Too much stuff, except the wife doesn't think so...

She requested a Fitbit Watch and I asked her to put a deposit down for us on our next cruise as her gift to me. We opted to book our next cruise while onboard the one we are taking next week.

I just love getting away from winter for a week in December or January.

I

Really nothing material. I give a little list of mainly gifts cards at the places I shop to the family, as they want to have something for me under the tree.

However, realizing that I have to start spending down some cash, new furniture for the man cave will be, with the assistant CFO's approval, my gift to myself. :)

I can't think of anything I really want or need. I could use some a few craft/sewing supplies, but my husband wouldn't know what to buy unless I made a very specific list and then what's the point? I like food gifts, wine and beer though! Those are the kind of gifts I buy for my husband (beside his annual set of new socks).

Like many here, I'm blessed enough to have made enough money and lived long enough to have pretty much bought anything I want. Of course winning the lottery would change the parameters, but you all know what I mean. Plus, I don't really like people buying stuff for me. Anything like cloths or where there's options, I want to decide on and be an active buyer. I also feel that if I just tell someone what to buy me, that's not really much fun from them or me.

I really just want family around and to have a good time and food on the holidays. Cool things to get now that my daughters are young ladies (30's) is something they cook that is special and particular to them. Makes for a memory.

DW and I have come to agreement that there need be no gift exchange. However, if I have a great idea on something that she would want, I'd get it. It's just so rare that it doesn't usually happen. She's in the same boat. Time with family is really what she wants. He face lights up more from sing the grand children than any gift I could think to give her.

Her face lights up more from seeing the grand children than any gift I could think to give her.

I'm like that, too. What I want for Christmas is a good visit with family and a safe return home for all involved. DS and DDIL know not to get me anything. They're raising 2 kids on one income and live modestly. I have 2 expensive trips booked for 2018 and have already funded everything but lodging for a week at one of the destinations. I don't want them spending money on me.

Back
Top Bottom