What is Your Post-FIRE Profession?

(snip) I am one of the very few women here who does NOT dye her hair and knock herself out trying to look younger than she is. (snip)

There be another. :cool:
and a third. What makes you think most of the women here dye their hair and so on? I don't recall much mention of the subject one way or the other.

I'm not female, don't dye my [-]nearly[/-] white hair and don't think I look younger than 35. :D

I tell people I'm a contractor since I've spent the last year working on our kids' houses. There is no money to be made contracting, TRUST ME ON THIS ONE.

I used to say I was in portfolio management, if pressed, "sorry, i only handle accounts above [-]$4M[/-] whatever you have".

But since you object, how about this avatar?
Not to hijack my own thread, but that is a nice looking sandwich. W2R, You choose such attractive avatars. :LOL:

Thanks for the tips. I kind of figured on the retired and proud approach too - just wondered what stories the question would drum up. Thanks.

Not to hijack my own thread, but that is a nice looking sandwich. W2R, You choose such attractive avatars. :LOL:

Thanks for the tips. I kind of figured on the retired and proud approach too - just wondered what stories the question would drum up. Thanks.

Glad you like my sandwich! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Sorry about the off topic turn. :)

I think you will figure out what you want to say about your occupation. Like anything else, I guess the decision could be affected by who you are talking to and how you wish to be perceived by that person.

Who is going to start the poll on who dyes their hair?

Who is going to start the poll on who dyes their hair?

We have had numerous threads on the topic over the years, including this one just last fall. I'd suggest those who are interested should explore our search function. :)

Last edited:
Me too! Or in my case, someone my age who looks like me but is not me, and looks as sympathetic, understanding, and interested in the conversation as Eva does in that pose.

I love your giant amethyst geode. :)

Oh good! Having seen your photo, I think you are uniquely beautiful just as you are. :)

Mostly I'm lazy and cheap.:cool:

Mostly I'm lazy and cheap.:cool:

I admire that about you! :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Lazy = enjoying a relaxing, low key retirement

Cheap = LBYM

But also I think dying your hair would be a mistake. Just my opinion.

Now that you are FIRE'd what do you list as your profession on forms that ask? What do you tell people who ask? I imagine in some cases a simple"retired" is appropriate, and in others you can avoid twenty questions with a clever answer?

Not retired yet, but when the time comes:

"company director" when applying for a visa

"professional investor" when I want banks etc to take me seriously, hand out freebies etc

"retired" if it gets me a discount

"retired" when I meet people I don't like who are still working

I like telling people either I am simply an investor of I am a shepherd or my investments. Mostly letting the investments graze and occasionally shearing or slaughtering one.

And if it is a particularly obnoxious aggressive person in my face doing an un authorized pre qualification of me, I might prefer Rutabaga Rancher, or Asparagus Rustler.

Haven't had too much practice yet, but so far "retired" has been rolling off my tongue pretty well! Occasionally that draws a bit more conversation that I'd like since I'm 49, but I figure anything too cute or obscure might draw more. I suppose if I don't feel like drawing any attention I'll just go back to "software developer", and if they ask who I work for, I'm independent.

But since you object, how about this avatar?
Looks great! though I never objected to Eva. To be fair I have noticed the guys doing the same thing.

A general observation and directed at myself as much as anyone else on this forum; This virtual world is a strange place. We tend to reveal personal things about ourselves while at the same time hiding behind the proverbial curtain. FWIW, it's nice to occasionally see real everyday faces behind the names. I'll take that over a pretty face any time. Anyway, nice hoagie and sorry for hijacking.
(my new avatar: about 90 seconds before I mangled every ligament in my right wrist. No teachin for the next 6 weeks!)

On topic (depending on recipient):
  • semiretired (mom, dad)
  • kept man/slacker (co-workers, homies)
  • part time kiteboard instructor (tax returns, 13 yr old dd)
  • Investment manager/beach bum/house boy (wife)
  • happily married old guy (single female students)

I say "investor." I tried "retired" at first, but I found it confuses people and then I have to explain too much.

Interesting observation, given that several men on this forum have avatars of younger men or celebrities too.

Remember when the forum used the other software, and we had default avatars? I used the Eva Habermann avatar, because I thought it conveyed sympathetic understanding and interest in a conversation. Unlike many here, I am very open about my avatar and even explain it on my profile.

I didn't choose it from the very limited selection of avatars simply because Eva Habermann was younger than I was. I am proud of my age. I am one of the very few women here who does NOT dye her hair and knock herself out trying to look younger than she is.

I have tried numerous times to change my avatar, but the pleas that result from male members of the forum touch my heart so I always return to Eva. :rolleyes: But since you object, how about this avatar?

W2R,

I don't care what your avatar looks like, but I must say you are one of the most beautiful members on this forum on the inside, and its quite evident in all your posts.

W2R,

I don't care what your avatar looks like, but I must say you are one of the most beautiful members on this forum on the inside, and its quite evident in all your posts.
Yes, W2R - you are one of the most beautiful souls on this forum! :flowers:

I say I am an artist, which I have always been, and will always be...and, I own a farm.

and a third. What makes you think most of the women here dye their hair and so on? I don't recall much mention of the subject one way or the other.

Not me, I've been dyeing my hair since my early 30's. I wanted to be a redhead, tried that for awhile, now I'm brown with blondish streaks. In my 50's, still not grey, but still dyeing my hair for the fun of it! :)

My avatar is of a younger beauty, my Mastiff mix, and my occupation will be RETIRED, I worked hard to obtain that title!

We work at home...If the question goes any further I manage rental property, DW has her own home based travel agency.

Since I efile my taxes, I simply put "retired". If I filed the old fashioned way, I would put down "retired :) :) :)" with several smile faces afterwards.

W2R,

Yes, W2R - you are one of the most beautiful souls on this forum! :flowers:

I say I am an artist, which I have always been, and will always be...and, I own a farm.

Aw!! These posts were so sweet, and I didn't see them until now. Thank you. I try. :flowers:

You made my day!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom