What Skills Do You Find Useful/Not Useful?

Usefull:
Computer skills
Chainsaw skills
Shooting skills
Fishing skills
General Handyman skills

Not So Much:
A lot of the detail stuff learned in college (high end math, econ and such)

Agree with the youtube content. It's the best user manual on the planet.

Last edited:
Definitely my handyman skills. Having 24 renters, it saves quite a bit of money being able to do things myself. It all adds up.

22 months and counting down to retire from the cubicle farm.

When I was a college freshman I spent a month and a half in Mexico, the host family had a son my age. One of the things he taught me was how to drink beer without swallowing - tilting the head all the way back, opening the throat and letting the beer fall directly into the stomach.

Even though this is a skill I've never used, I'm reluctant to call it useless.

When I was a college freshman I spent a month and a half in Mexico, the host family had a son my age. One of the things he taught me was how to drink beer without swallowing - tilting the head all the way back, opening the throat and letting the beer fall directly into the stomach.

Even though this is a skill I've never used, I'm reluctant to call it useless.

LOL.

The guy can probably do sword swallowing - a valuable skill when unemployment rate is high.

Now that I am in retirement mode I realize the following:

Useless Skills:
Everything that made me valuable in my profession.

Useful Skills:
Everything I used to do myself when I was younger, but later hired others to do. (Gardening, metal shop, plumbing, handyman, auto, etc...)

"I don't know who l am
But you know life is for learning
We are stardust
We are golden
And we've got to get ourselves
Back to the garden
"

-Joni Mitchell

Two "useful skills"

1) Being able to get enough money so that I, personally, don't need any useful skills.

2) Like Dirty Harry said in Magnum Force: "A man's got to know his limitations."
Knowing my limitations

Slowly transitioning into retirement I am finding that I need to hone my handyman/builder skills. My career centers around presentations and sales pitches which require a great deal of enthusiasm. While my peers are impressed I'm losing steam but can still do it with one arm tied behind my back. OMY . The useful skills seem to evolve throughout life.

It may seem odd, and it certainly marks me as a dinosaur, but I've been extremely grateful that I took a typing class in high school. Got to where I could type over 40 wpm with virtually no errors.

That "keyboarding ability" as I guess it would be called today, has saved me countless hours of tedium over the years.

I've often said that the typing class (yes, manual Underwoods) I took in high school was the single most useful class.

Of course, I only took it because I figured I'd be the only guy in a classroom full of girls (Wrong, one other guy had the same idea.) and I knew they couldn't make me buy a typewriter and therefore could not assign homework.

Patience.
Fortitude.
Self-discipline.
Self-mastery.
Self-control.
Delayed gratifiction.
Lifelong learning commitment.
Lifelong self-innovation commitment.
Self-awareness.
Embracing failure.
Hard, hard, hard work.

These are all inner skills, and all have been, in one way or the other, indispensible to anything I've been able to accomplish in my life.

One very useful skill that I think most of us on this forum have, or at least trying to obtain, is personal finance.

When I was 10, I discovered that I can move the muscles in my scalp which wiggle my ears. One ear at a time, or both! Other kids couldn't do it so it is probably a useless ability, versus a useless skill. But it's definitely useless.

A.

We need to see a youtube video proving your ability.

I remember that a classmate of mine in elementary school could do this. Are there really muscles in the scalp, let alone one that is controllable?

Anyway, a search on youtube found the following video. Jump to 1:30 if you are impatient. The speaker made successful use of this ability in his speech, so it was not useless.

Last edited:
I've often said that the typing class (yes, manual Underwoods) I took in high school was the single most useful class.

Of course, I only took it because I figured I'd be the only guy in a classroom full of girls (Wrong, one other guy had the same idea.)

I had a similar motivation with similar results - a third of my HS typing class was male.

My mom also insisted I take typing due to my brother's (16 years older) positive experience with knowing how to type. He was drafted into the Marine Corps during the Korean War and, because he was the only Marine in his Boot Camp class that new how to type, he became the company clerk and saw no combat.

Useful:
Auto Shop
Machine Shop (wood and metal)
Photoshop

Useless:
The Ins and Outs of Extended Survival as a cog in Megacorp
(happily already forgetting this one - even though I'm still nominally employed for another few months)

One very useful skill that I think most of us on this forum have, or at least trying to obtain, is personal finance.

That is a good point, something we are all striving for.

I would also hope that civility and respect in the conversation is something we are striving for. I think we have that and that is one of the things I love about this place.

Useful:
Brewing
Woodworking
Home upkeep/Yard work
Computer savvy
Math
Personal finance

Useless:
Don't need whatever personnel managing skills I used to have when I worked - Dw is beyond managing

It may seem odd, and it certainly marks me as a dinosaur, but I've been extremely grateful that I took a typing class in high school. Got to where I could type over 40 wpm with virtually no errors.

That "keyboarding ability" as I guess it would be called today, has saved me countless hours of tedium over the years.

Good point Braumeister as that haunted me my whole career. I was one of those "cheating jocks" who would lift the tape of the keys to peck away. Why did I need to learn how to type, I will have my secretary dictate and then type it up. Well technology ran circles around me after that. Coming out of college in the mid 80s and dismissing all technology as a worthless fad was not one of my brighter decisions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Personal management skills have everything to do with personal finance. Just ask the people who either undersave or overspend, whether retired or not.

Just as you think all has been said about ear wriggling, I have some more for you.

There's even a Wikihow article on how to wriggle your ears. I do not find it useful, as they talk about (most?) people lacking the gene to control the muscles called the auricularis superior and the auricularis posterior. Yes, contrary to my earlier post, there are indeed muscles dedicated to wriggling our ears, like those of a rabbit. Mine have atrophied away since birth probably.

And here's another video, this time of a woman ear wriggler.

Last edited:

My useful skills: driving, typing, cooking, my medical knowledge, gardening, and trying things I look up on the internet. Playing musical instruments. Acing multiple choice tests-handy for school.

No longer a useful skill: acing tests.

My useless skills: everything I used to do well and no longer use.

Absolutely useless skill after FIRE is minutes taking. Used to sit in board, shareholders and committee meetings for hours taking minutes and churning out minutes very efficiently.

Great thread, seeing everything from personal finance to ear wiggling LOL!

As for me......the skills which have served me well, some more for my working years than since I ERed were:

(1) Learning how to program in SAS, the programming language I used at work for nearly all of my 23 years there.

(2) The supervisory skills I picked up after being promoted to that level in 1993 and staying at that level for the remaining 15 years of my career. Other than running my school Scrabble tourneys, I don't get to really boss people around like that any more (which is fine!).

Other skills I picked up over the years, many at work, which have helped me beyond work are:

(1) Learning how to type, even though I never took any real typing classes.

(2) Learning how to write well. I had to somehow combine all the various and sometimes conflicting things I learned, from the college writing classes (not very helpful) to the business writing class I took (more helpful), to simply having to write business letters early on in my career (very helpful), learning that skill from my boss, to fine-tuning and wordsmithing for clarity by my other bosses (also very helpful). Being able to write well enables me to be taken seriously both within and outside the workplace, from dealing with business (i.e. consumer complaints or disputes) to getting letters to the editor printed in newspapers, to getting the attention of locally elected leaders, and making posts in various internet forums such as this one.

(3) PC math-related skills such as Lotus and Excel. I started with Lotus in the 1980s and still like it over Excel which I learned in the 1990s. I use Lotus 9.0 for Windows as well as Excel, depending on if I need to share the spreadsheet with outsiders (Excel). This was extremely useful for my next skill.....

(4) Personal finance skills. While I picked up a lot of these skills from the Economics and Finance classes I took in college, I also learned some of these skills at work (I did actuarial work for 23 years) and from just picking them up over the years as my interest in the topic grew from my growing portfolio and ER planning (which led to an actual ER in 2008).

(5) PC skills not related to math such as learning Word in the early 1990s and general PC knowledge such as troubleshooting problems I picked up over the years. The things I picked up over the years which seem so routine to me are so foreign to most users (re: my thread about my snakebit friend and his PC problems) which make me look like a genius, the "big fish in small pond" scenario.

(6) Believe it or not, playing Strat-O-Matic baseball back in the 1970s enhanced my ability to compute mathematical things at a young age. Already good at math, being able to play with numbers this way such as figuring out many batting averages in my head kept me sharp at a young age.

(7) While not a useful skill much any more, being on my high school's chess and Mathletes teams taught me how to think well under pressure at a young age. This came in handy when taking college exams and later, actuarial exams, adult Scrabble tourneys I played in back in the 1990s, and when facing strict deadlines at work. Being retired, this rarely arises other than running those school Scrabble tourneys. :)

(8) Learning how to cook has been a vital skill not just for the money I have saved but also because I am a bit of a fussy eater, so the food I make I know I can eat without any fears of how it was prepared.

(9) Various other homemaking skills I learned or picked up over the years such being able to change light switches and lighting fixtures without frying myself have been handy. My dad is a good woodworker so I am pretty handy with those tools. My mom was good with sewing so I picked up a few things from her although I don't really do that stuff any more. Thanks to the internet, I have picked up a few more tasks I can DIY.

(10) After some unsuccessful DIY attempts involving my car, I don't mess with that for things even pretty minor any more. Better to pay my local mechanic $100 for something relatively easy than 5 or 10 times that amount if I screw it up.

(11) Organizational skills. My dad's dad and my mom were well organized. I remember visiting my dad's dad in Florida back in the 1970s and seeing how he used lists before we went on our morning errands. My mom was similar in that way. This got me into the good habit of creating shopping lists before going out and for creating lists in general. Both people also had good filing systems to organize papers so they could find them later without difficulty. I very, very rarely lose anything or throw something out by mistake while being able to balance that with not being a pack rat, a necessity when living in as small apartment. This was also handy during my working career. I have seen some truly awful organization skills by friends who have tons of clutter and/or can't find anything important without having it become a major project in itself.

Last edited:
Learning to keep my mouth shut.

Has saved me bucket loads of embarrassment, criticism, and censure.

Even more useful now that MegaCorp has replace our entire management structure in our division with people who know nothing about our industry. But we are great at training leaders - so we can manage our way out of problems that our competitors never seem to have. :nonono:

Enough said...

Useful Skills:
1) Ability to self-educate through reading, internet, videos, discussions, etc. This is continuing education as there is always something new to learn.
2) Mechanical skills to be able to fix things and understand how things work. Saves a lot of money and I know it is fixed to my level of quality.
3) Financial education, which is also a continuing education
4) Learning to worry about the things I can control and not about things I cannot control

Useless:
1) Parents made me take piano lessons when young, worst investment they ever made. 1.5 years of wasted effort, I have about as much music ability as this keyboard typing on.

Absolutely useless skill after FIRE is minutes taking. Used to sit in board, shareholders and committee meetings for hours taking minutes and churning out minutes very efficiently.

Actually I am secretary for our community band. I don't take minutes well. Wish I did.

Back
Top Bottom